• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

easy solution: gods from other realms have a round table meeting and decide to come to Midgard and assasinate Kratos. He destroyed two pantheons already, so maybe the others are starting to think “whats to stop him from coming here and decimating us the same way?”

Kind of like John Wick

Last edited:

FunkMiller

easy solution: gods from other realms have a round table meeting and decide to come to Midgard and assasinate Kratos. He destroyed two pantheons already, so maybe the others are starting to think “whats to stop him from coming here and decimating us the same way?”

Kind of like John Wick

They need to get completely out of the Norse realms. It’ll be way too samey to do them for a third time.

I’d do a riff on Paradise Lost. The circles of hell, and all that. Angels, devils, God.

It’d be ironic, given that they tried and failed to rip off OG God Of War with that Dante’s Inferno game, which featured all that stuff. Kratos smacking his way through the seraphim would be sweet.

Last edited:

gow3isben

And I have got to say for all the game keeps saying Freyr wasn't a great leader his potential both as a leader and as a combatant really seems to surpass Freya. People love him without him wanting it and he just likes to chill and have fun and just draws people towards him with a natural charisma. If he was actually motivated he would be an unstoppable force.

Dude was literally high as a kite tripping on shrooms and found got lost and found his way to Alfheim randomly and managed to unite the elves. He managed to turn a Traveller off of his path. His sword managed to hold off the universe destroying Ragnarok.

Last edited:
And I have got to say for all the game keeps saying Freyr wasn't a great leader his potential both as a leader and as a combatant really seems to surpass Freya. People love him without him wanting it and he just likes to chill and have fun and just draws people towards him with a natural charisma. If he was actually motivated he would be an unstoppable force.

Dude was literally high as a kite tripping on shrooms and found got lost and found his way to Alfheim randomly and managed to unite the elves. He managed to turn a Traveller off of his path. His sword managed to hold off the universe destroying Ragnarok.

Freyr uniting the elves sounds like some avatar/john carter shit. I’d be down for seeing something like that

I would love more than anyhting to see how all the Aesir gods interacted with each other pre-kratos. Odin, Freya, Thrud, Magni, Modi, Heimdell, Thor, Baldur, Sif, and people like Mimir advising, etc

I also want to see the fight between Laufaye/faye and Thor in Vanaheim

Last edited:

gow3isben

I also want to see the fight between Laufaye/faye and Thor in Vanaheim

I think the implication was that it was a tie? It was clear she was bloodlusted and wanted to kill him for all he did against her people while he was drunk out of his mind and just having fun so clearly the game does establish that he was the more powerful fighter.

Last edited:
Brok and Sindri are fine. Angrbodr is a waste of space, though. Zero character development, and a deus ex machina jump-in save at the last minute. At least the dwarves help to flesh out the world, and the effect Odin has on it.

I don't know if I fully agree. Do I like her section? No. It's poorly paced, but her character is important to the overall direction of the game. She shows Atreus the marbles and how they carry souls.

As for her being a deus ex machina, I don't really think she was.

I think the implication was that it was a tie? It was clear she was bloodlusted and wanted to kill him for all he did against her people while he was drunk out of his mind and just having fun so clearly the game does establish that he was the more powerful fighter.

They still managed to destroy a city somehow so im sure it was quite the spectacle

I don't know if I fully agree. Do I like her section? No. It's poorly paced, but her character is important to the overall direction of the game. She shows Atreus the marbles and how they carry souls.

As for her being a deus ex machina, I don't really think she was.

Yeah, she played a pretty big role in connecting Atreus with his heritage and abilities. I’m not sure how else they could have fulfilled that obligation to the story without her and ironwood

And the biggest payoff is the last mural

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
🥴 Freya: You owe me a son, and you will pay one way or the other❤️‍🔥
FElk1Yn.jpg

SPOILERS for those who haven’t played ragnorak, please don’t read this post

I just thought of something extremely crazy. So Kratos was suppose to die but in the end he doesn’t. Now I think Kratos being dead was suppose to happen but the reason everything changed in the end was because of BROK. Remember, he is technically a ghost and so he probably doesn’t exist to the Norns just like the lady in the sea couldn’t see him. I think Brok pretty much changed everything and saved everyone’s life. That’s just my guess but it explains why everything changed. If brok wasn’t alive, everyone would’ve been fooled by fake Tyr and most likely died leaving Atreus doing whatever he was doing with Kratos’s corpse in the mural

- Brok doesn't have a soul, so Giants while making the prophecies didn't see him and included ending, if Brok didn't discover that Tyr was fake - Odin then betrays everyone and Kratos dies, and Atreus works with Aesir.

Brok’s the GOAT
g6NSQXR.jpg
This is my new head canon

I very much doubt they’d do this. Especially when it’s so easy to bring Kratos into a whole new world and set of gods, just by having him go look for Atreus. They know what the draw is. And it ain’t the kid with the bad fade, and worse acting.

Couldn't you make the same argument for TLOU2 and Spider-Man Miles Morales?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Underrated game.
The gameplay and set pieces was great but the story in my opinion was nonsense, especially that weird relationship with Kratos and Pandora and whole plot about gods getting corrupted by fear.

So what is to stop a quick little stand-alone expansion featuring Atreus to tide people over for the real sequel?

Absolutely nothing - but the difference is that Miles Morales people didn't know him that much and offered a completely new way of playing that was still similar to the original spidey. Unlike Atreus where he plays differently from his pops and... not well.

Fake

The gameplay and set pieces was great but the story in my opinion was nonsense, especially that weird relationship with Kratos and Pandora and whole plot about gods getting corrupted by fear.

I agree that in story departament, the previous games get much better, but if you combine the gameplay and the artistics choices for the time, is an incredible game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree that in story departament, the previous games get much better, but if you combine the gameplay and the artistics choices for the time, is an incredible game.
I agree, especially about its aesthetics. The modern GOW games might have better "graphics" but in all honestly thier aesthetics is little on boring side because they going much more towards realism while God of War III was much more fantastical and mythological when it comes to its art direction.

Absolutely nothing - but the difference is that Miles Morales people didn't know him that much and offered a completely new way of playing that was still similar to the original spidey. Unlike Atreus where he plays differently from his pops and... not well.

That's not a strong argument for Atreus not to get a spinoff game.

Much like Ellie and Miles, they built up their gameplay and eventually expanded on it. They could very well continue the story of Atreus in his own Loki games. Same thing they did with Lost Legacy. God of War might be the only pillar franchise Sony has that they haven't spun off or planned to spin off. Even Horizon is getting a VR spinoff and Gran Turismo saw Tourist Trophy.

Not advocating for that, but that would very much be in line with what Sony has done.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Atreus should’ve been given a melee weapon. Miles is so good because he gets all the Spider-Man abilities plus his own venom attacks which frankly are even more fun than Spider-Man. Lokis melee feels weak and they essentially force you into a archery playstyle.

They should’ve given Loki a sword or something different but equally as powerful as the axe. Archery is not why i play a power fantasy like gow.

Atreus should’ve been given a melee weapon. Miles is so good because he gets all the Spider-Man abilities plus his own venom attacks which frankly are even more fun than Spider-Man. Lokis melee feels weak and they essentially force you into a archery playstyle.

They should’ve given Loki a sword or something different but equally as powerful as the axe. Archery is not why i play a power fantasy like gow.

I agree 100 percent. Loki should have gotten a sword, kept saying it. Nothing makes me respect a character less than using a bow as a melee weapon...

His bow being of the magic variety also never felt powerful.

What's worse is you do get a sword, but you can't actually use it. Hell, I'd be happy if they even let you use the knife.

That's not a strong argument for Atreus not to get a spinoff game.

Much like Ellie and Miles, they built up their gameplay and eventually expanded on it. They could very well continue the story of Atreus in his own Loki games. Same thing they did with Lost Legacy. God of War might be the only pillar franchise Sony has that they haven't spun off or planned to spin off. Even Horizon is getting a VR spinoff and Gran Turismo saw Tourist Trophy.

Not advocating for that, but that would very much be in line with what Sony has done.

Sure, and it would be terrible.

Oh, neither would I - but I hope that they realize how unlikable Atreus is and how many people really don't want to see him return.

I've seen unlikeable characters go on to become quite popular.

Miles himself was not all that likable in the first spider-man game, but went on to have a wildly successful spinoff, noting that he wasn't yet spider-man in the original game.

Raiden became way more popular in Metal Gear Rising

Persona is more popular than SMT now.

You could argue that a franchise based around Atreus could deliver to a significantly younger audience for whom God of War isn't appropriate.

They could also delve more into his gameplay mechanics of transforming into animals.

K' Dash

I gotta say, I'm glad most people here think the game is an unfocused mess, cause talking to the people on the OT about the game not being 10/10 or giving any kind of valid criticism will get you spit in the face.

Finished a few minutes ago and I think I will not play any of the post game stuff, I enjoyed the ride but fuck, I won't "explore" shit because SSM made exploration SHIT with that fucking map and I will fucking break something if I have to crawl through another crack, lift boulder, etc... holy shit, SSM don't make me backtrack and explore when moving through the realms suck dick.

2018 is the better game: focused, better combat, better story, better writing and no fucking collectathon.

I gotta say, I'm glad most people here think the game is an unfocused mess, cause talking to the people on the OT about the game not being 10/10 or giving any kind of valid criticism will get you spit in the face.

Finished a few minutes ago and I think I will not play any of the post game stuff, I enjoyed the ride but fuck, I won't "explore" shit because SSM made exploration SHIT with that fucking map and I will fucking break something if I have to crawl through another crack, lift boulder, etc... holy shit, SSM don't make me backtrack and explore when moving through the realms suck dick.

2018 is the better game: focused, better combat, better story, better writing and no fucking collectathon.

I tried to play 2018 after this (i beat it when ti came out) and i will say the combat definitely is not better. It feels incredibly tanky and sluggish, to the point where i didn’t even bother to play past the baldur fight

MagnesD3

So is it just me or did that story suck, I just finished it and I really wasnt invested in what was going on, the mask was like the most interesting thing in what an honestly boring story and they pulled a last jedi lol. Also I cant fucking believe they had the opportunity to give kratos mjolner and they didnt take it...

Also good god does the story get in the way of the gameplay so often, goodness, the walk and talk is awful in this one.

Also I could swear the banter dialogue is mostly worse too, the only stuff that was still pretty consistently interesting was brok and sentry stuff.

Last edited:

Banned
So is it just me or did that story suck, I just finished it and I really wasnt invested in what was going on, the mask was like the most interesting thing in what an honestly boring story and they pulled a last jedi lol. Also I cant fucking believe they had the opportunity to give kratos mjolner and they didnt take it...

Also good god does the story get in the way of the gameplay so often, goodness, the walk and talk is awful in this one.

Also I could swear the banter dialogue is mostly worse too, the only stuff that was still pretty consistently interesting was brok and sentry stuff.

to me it's the worst game in the series for sure for mostly the same reasons.

I legit out of curiosity just sat my phone next to me and timed every time either a slow walking scene or a cutscene was taking place within a 1h span of playing the main quest line...

it was less than 22 min of actual gameplay in that hour.
and I didn't handpick that, I couldn't even do that since this was my first (and last) playthrough. I decided to time that hour of play because I noticed that as soon as I play the main quest line I barely use anything than my left stick or just watch a cutscene for a big chunk of them.

in that hour I timed there was a 5min long uninterrupted slow walking sequence... 5min of literally doing nothing but holding forward and pressing X when told to.

it is baffling to me that a game like this can even be in the talks for a GOTY award

Last edited:

MagnesD3

to me it's the worst game in the series for sure for mostly the same reasons.

I legit out of curiosity just sat my phone next to me and timed every time either a slow walking scene or a cutscene was taking place within a 1h span of playing the main quest line...

it was less than 22 min of actual gameplay in that hour.
and I didn't handpick that, I couldn't even do that since this was my first (and last) playthrough. I decided to time that hour of play because I noticed that as soon as I play the main quest line I barely use anything than my left stick or just watch a cutscene for a big chunk of them.

in that hour I timed there was a 5min long uninterrupted slow walking sequence... 5min of literally doing nothing but holding forward and pressing X when told so
Glad to see I wasnt crazy because damn that pacing is awful. I remember being annoyed at some of the freya house stuff kinda being slow in 2018 but I dont think it was very long at all if I recall but this one is stuffed to the gills with it.

Last edited:

Banned
Glad to see I wasnt crazy because damn that pacing is awful. I remember being annoyed at some of the freya house stuff kinda being slow in 2018 but I dont think it was very long at all if I recall but this one is stuffed to the gills with it.

yeah the slow walking was already a bit of a flaw in 2018, and I am kinda shocked how much they increased the length and frequency of them in Ragnarök... it's absolutely crazy.

Ragnarök honestly makes me appreciate 2018 way more... it's like when the Star Wars sequel trilogy showed us how much worse it can get and now people look way more fondly towards the prequels lol

Last edited:
Give me God of War.
This might explain your troubles.
Pretty sure I've beaten both games on the same difficulty but not gmgow and my experience was that GoWR was easier then the 2018 Version.

I would like to replay both games on GmGoW but I also have a huge backlog of other games. Clearly I need more time for gaming. *continues searching for a new job with less hours*

FunkMiller

I will fucking break something if I have to crawl through another crack, lift boulder, etc... holy shit, SSM don't make me backtrack and explore when moving through the realms suck dick.

I don’t believe for one second all that shit they said about having all that stuff in the game for reasons other than having to hide the loading for the shitty PS4 hardware.

This is definitely a game that’s been hamstrung by the cross gen.

This might explain your troubles.
Pretty sure I've beaten both games on the same difficulty but not gmgow and my experience was that GoWR was easier then the 2018 Version.

No, it isn't. I've finished GOW 2018 with the same difficulty and the combat is not poorly designed as this. The off screen attacks were tolerable in the last game because they are telegraphed.

anothertech

I played the shit out of this game. Loved the bosses and mini bosses. Loved the side quests. Loved the story personally and playing along side many other characters besides boi.

My take aways-

How the shit did they not let us wield the fucking hammer? All those game mechanics with the axe and no fucking hammer! What a let down lol.

Asgard could have been a bit more of a spectacle. It was just above poverty level village lol. Pig pens were far too comfortable in the gods realm. What the fuck.

I liked angrboda. She was a good match for Atreus. Wished she was a companion a bit more in the game. Not sure why ppl complain about the wolf ripping hole in time and space at the end. Was pretty obvious.

Atreus needed a weapon. Honestly, thor and thrud should have tried to kill Atreus, bringing kratos wrath down on them, then Atreus should have got thors hammer.

Sif was way too hot to not let kratos kill Thor and have his way with her.

I was surprised that Ragnarok, Odin and the actual war was in this game. Totally though they were going to drag Odin out till the third game and Ragnarok was going to barely start at the end of this game. Was quite satisfying seeing all that play out.

Was also surprised we didn't have to stop sutr and kill him like we did all the titans in 3. Was totally expecting that.

I wanted to rip those fate bitches into the ether. Was a bit of a let down that didn't happen. Loved that whole sequence though.

Not enough God killing for my taste. At least we got Odin. But thor should have been on the list. Letting Odin take him out like that was anticlimax. Thor was too awesome to die like that.

I wanted something more to happen with those frozen lightning spectacles.

Dragons were smaller and a bit less spectacle than the 2018 game. But we're much more fun to fight.

Gna was a fun surprise at the end.

Overall, best game I've played in a long time!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Absolutely zero incentive to platinum this game, beyond getting the trophies themselves.

More games need to incentivise the endgame with extra story content for completing everything. I've seen and finished most side stuff, and the ones I haven't just consists of more of the same, with no real value to it, unless you're a completionist.

Can't be arsed to just repeat the same stuff over and over, in increasing difficulty, until the map says 100%.

I put 45 hours in, and that's more than enough for me, when there's no real incentive to continue.

SCB3

Finally done with the main game and I loved it, my question, is Mimir a Druid? he comes from Scotland but is it Celtic magic he is known for?

Bragr

Banned
I think this entire Nordic Saga was about Kratos growing as an more mature character and so he's son. And they did just that.
If you think he should just "man up" again... I have nothing to say.
What did you think made him more mature in this game?

What did you think made him more mature in this game?
He controls anger, rage, fear, terror, feels a lot more human with true love for both his wife and son (this is clear in the scene where his telling an story to Loki before his last dream with Faye).
Hes not the monster from before. He moved on. He was a killer that was borderline the villain in the past games to a great father and human being in this game.

MagnesD3

Yeah but if you make Kratos too normal he becomes incredibly boring. I got so sick of everyone thanking each other or saying im sorry every 10 seconds, its incredibly lame, I just wish theyd have said nothing alot of the time.

Last edited:
I think this entire Nordic Saga was about Kratos growing as an more mature character and so he's son. And they did just that.
If you think he should just "man up" again... I have nothing to say.

He became more cowardly, especially throughout Ragnarok. There is moving on and finding peace and solace, which is what 2018 showed. Then there is letting gods stomp all over you and constantly harass you and your son, which is exactly what Ragnarok did. Ruined his character and made him into a joke.
So yes, he should “Man up”, or at least have consistent writing with the previous part.

There is no world where the Kratos we see from the original Greek games and in 2018 turns into the Kratos in Ragnarok. It is beyond forced and just further shows the poor writing on display.

No. They should kill off Atreus and have Kratos actually man up again.

Yeah but if you make Kratos too normal he becomes incredibly boring. I got so sick of everyone thanking each other or saying im sorry every 10 seconds, its incredibly lame, I just wish theyd have said nothing alot of the time.

Whenever I read comments like that, im like:
Nick Young Wtf GIF

Whats wrong with people?
Do you need to play some kind of lunatic or generally only play if the characters in the game are kind of sociopaths?

Last edited:
Top Bottom