• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok will be much more brutal and violent than its previous installment

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Praise Jebus!
We’ve increased the levels of brutality in God of War: Ragnarok considerably, and I think that’s something that makes certain aspects of the game more fun ,” says Sheth. “In God of War 2018 , when you get the Blades of Chaos you don’t get many chances to see these weapons do the kind of things that they did in the classic God of War . The way they took down enemies was very brutal and that It ‘s something that we wanted to bring back in God of War: Ragnarok , so the system that allows you to stun the enemy and grab them with R3 to execute them is much more brutal now and uses much more the ax and the Blades of Chaos to perform the executions. “

GymWolf

Gold Member
cratos-nod.gif

Brock2621

eh, I dunno, I’m so numb to this stuff now. I’d love to hear the story is twice as dense than the gore twice as messy. Cool nonetheless I suppose for parts of the audience

I'm neutral on this (not sure how much it really adds), but maybe it depends on how they do it eg. At times, it looked/felt a little comedic in GoW3.

Sentenza

What I want to know if it will have more than 8 types of enemies, though.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one (especially up to a point, before it started dragging its feet with "horde modes" and the fog shit) but I can't deny that the sense of repetition started to get really, really strong after a while.
And I mean "Breath of the Wild" strong.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one (especially up to a point, before it started dragging its feet with "horde modes" and the fog shit) but I can't deny that the sense of repetition started to get really, really strong after a while.
Some previews mentioned more enemy variety in its first 5 hours than the previous entire game. I think that's great!

From all accounts so far it sounds like there are several new enemy types in just the first hour.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

It briefly mentions that too.
Sheth has also told that they have put a lot of effort into creating a greater variety of enemies and bosses , as there were many ideas that they could not implement in the first part. In addition, one of the biggest challenges they have faced has been designing monsters and creatures that fit each of the Nine Kingdoms that we will visit, because in this installment we will visit them all.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Good, i wasnt a fan of how relatively toned down the gore was in 2018 compared to the rest of the series. I get they were trying to make kratos more sympathetic, and i guess thats hard to do when he is cutting dudes stomaches open, and massacaring crowds of fleeing civillians for health lol

However, what I personally feel is the biggest improvement is the gore and dismemberment in Ragnarok. I felt that God of War 2018 made the idea of blood be a bit sacred, saving it for some key moments in the game. It made sense given that Kratos was trying to put his violent history behind him and raise his son, but I still missed it. Ragnarok see's a big return to carnage, as Kratos once again finds himself drenched in the blood of his enemies. ... And there are a large number of finishers you can pull off that all end in a pool of blood. It's not just from Kratos either, as Atreus will even do some tag team takedowns, gutting creatures alongside Kratos. Nothing screams more of a father and son activity than that.

https://mp1st.com/previews/god-of-war-ragnarok-hands-on-preview-valley-of-the-giants

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
However, what I personally feel is the biggest improvement is the gore and dismemberment in Ragnarok. Atreus will even do some tag team takedowns, gutting creatures alongside Kratos. Nothing screams more of a father and son activity than that.
Imagine hearing this as a random conversation in a bar.

Imagine hyping this as the “biggest improvement” in a sequel.

This game is making some people not think straight, I swear.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Imagine hearing this as a random conversation in a bar.

Imagine hyping this as the “biggest improvement” in a sequel.

This game is making some people not think straight, I swear.
I would consider this the biggest improvement.
It’s an important cornerstone of the franchise which was stupidly missing from the last game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly one of the best games of all time.

Most epic set of boss battles in a game, all unique in their own way.

Hercules fight + boss music = epic

I love GOW3 but they went too far with gore and violence with that game. Especially since they were hell bent on redeeming kratos at the end. I was playing the finale where he has to find his daughter or was that pandora? But I was completely out of the game after having beheaded gods, bashed in their eyes and skulled and dismembered them. It fell flat.

I didnt miss the gore and sadistic violence in GOW at all. You can have blood and they did especially in the first fight with Baldur, but those gifs prove that Kratos was jerk a psychopath, and while it was fun in my teens, it makes zero sense 20 years later.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I love GOW3 but they went too far with gore and violence with that game. Especially since they were hell bent on redeeming kratos at the end. I was playing the finale where he has to find his daughter or was that pandora? But I was completely out of the game after having beheaded gods, bashed in their eyes and skulled and dismembered them. It fell flat.

I didnt miss the gore and sadistic violence in GOW at all. You can have blood and they did especially in the first fight with Baldur, but those gifs prove that Kratos was jerk a psychopath, and while it was fun in my teens, it makes zero sense 20 years later.
Kratos doesn’t need redemption, he needs revenge. The girl was Pandora.

Top Bottom