• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok Sequel teased by Tyr Voice Actor at PAX East 2023

AmuroChan

Wouldn't be that hard to craft a new narrative that involves both a new mythology and some of the old Norse characters. You can do something like the following:

The Egyptian gods hear that Odin is dead and the nine realms are in shambles. They decide to invade the nine realms and take the land for themselves. Kratos and his Norse friends are able to push back the Egyptian invasion, but in retreat, the Egyptian gods kidnap someone close to Kratos (Angrboda? Mimir? Thrud?) and now Kratos and company need to travel to the Egyptian realm to rescue their friend.

I'm sure the writers at SMS can come up something way better than what I came up with in 30 seconds.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
God please no, this series has become so rotten and Ragnarok was so mid, please let the talented devs of Santa Monica try their hands at a more promising IP.
I'm flabbergasted by your comment. Username checks out.

Their next game will probably be a ps6 launch title considering how long games take. With over 10 million in sales I doubt that they will deviate from God of War.

I'm flabbergasted by your comment. Username checks out.

Their next game will probably be a ps6 launch title considering how long games take. With over 10 million in sales I doubt that they will deviate from God of War.
God of War is what Zelda/Mario is to Nintendo, same with Gears of War/Halo for Xbox. These franchises are NOT going anywhere, ever. Period. They will always exist.

Imagine a PlayStation console without Kratos.
Imagine a Nintendo console without Zelda or Mario.
Imagine a Xbox console without Master Chief.

Yeah...no. anyone who remotely thinks God of War is finished and done with is living under a rock or doesn't understand how branding and marketing works lol.

Killer8

It's time

0yYpT4N.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

No more for me after Ragnarock. Padded out, some awful dialogue littered throughout more akin to a modern Netflix original than classical work.

Boss fights again lacking and the closing segments, such as Ragnarock were undercooked.

Last edited:
Nearly every Sony first party title gets a DLC.
The last of us part 2, ratchet, miles morales, god of war 2018 itself, etc didn’t.

In fact in recent years i can think of ghost of Tsushima and forbidden west. Am I missing something? Returnal was a free update that didn’t add any story content if I remember it right.

The Shepard

I think it'll be an atreus/ loki spin off more akin to miles morales and uncharted lost legacy then a full blown sequel.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Already? I still have the sequel to play.

Went on buying some 2023 games and completely forgot about it :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I liked Ragnarok a lot, but HOLY SHIT I am tired of that franchise. I think it's because the media coverage and fanboy crying are so loud that you get sick of it.

I have that feeling about the last of us too, i wonder if sony is overexposing the ip's.

Kokoloko85

It's just a feeling I have. I just get the impression that another God of War won't hit the same way these most recent two have.

Your probably right because its a formula that will used for a 3rd time. But pure gameplay/story wise, Id love to play another 20-40 hours of an epic adventure with Kratos and co. Personally 3-4years Ill be wanting that again

Varteras

Gold Member
Your probably right because its a formula that will used for a 3rd time. But pure gameplay/story wise, Id love to play another 20-40 hours of an epic adventure with Kratos and co. Personally 3-4years Ill be wanting that again

Oh believe me I'm down for another in a few years too.

Dolodolo

Obviously this series will have a sequel when the last game sold 11 million copies in 2 months lol
Those who think differently - you are strange
It's also obvious that Santa Monica is making a new IP (Cory Barlog) and the GOW franchise will be handled by Eric Williams

It also amuses me a couple of people in this thread who tell everyone what the last game was bad
Don't freak out guys. For each of you, there are 500 more people who will buy the next part, no questions asked. :)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I liked Ragnarök, but I didn’t like the dialogue. I thought it was too much of a different IP. It was cool in 2018, but it kept relying on these new additional dialogue trees and swapping characters around. It left me feeling like I was doing some typical triple A objective instead of being some crazy off the rails action game. It’s a high quality video game, but it didn’t tug at my heart strings like 2018 and before did.

Urban

The last of us part 2, ratchet, miles morales, god of war 2018 itself, etc didn’t.

In fact in recent years i can think of ghost of Tsushima and forbidden west. Am I missing something? Returnal was a free update that didn’t add any story content if I remember it right.
MM is the DLC/Addon to Spider-Man.
TLOU1 had a DLC
Uncharted4 has a DLC

Ratchet,TLOU2 dont have one yet but it doesn’t mean that there never will be one?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They basically risk of doing same mistake as old God of Ward games, I liked God of War series but its about time Santa Monica moved on from the series and instead work on new IP.
They already are working on a new IP.

This is more likely to be a standalone Atreus game (ala Miles Morales) developed by another studio (my guess: Bluepoint).

skit_data

Pretty unexpected, mostly because he as an actor knows enough about it to even mention it. I’d imagine it being at the idea stage at most this close after Ragnaröks release. It points to the planning/pre production of a sequel being solid enough to warrant them asking him to reprise the role. But of course, plans can change but it wouldn’t surprise me because the game didn’t really feel like some sort of grande finale but more like a passing of the torch and setting up the pieces.

Also, there is nothing beating a good trilogy. God of War 2018 resulting in only one sequel feels off, given its impact.

Or it could just be him playing Tyr in the upcoming series, which would be kind of a let down.

Flutta

Banned
It doesn't sound like it.

"Tyr" was Odin pretending to be Tyr. We had very little exposure to the real Tyr.
That’s what i hinted at in my previous posts. When i said we got wimp version of Tyr which got the spotlight.

I did play the whole game till the end. Oh that end battle with Odin was not something SSM should be proud about felt like it was rushed, very mediocre compared to older GOW games.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you saw the way GOW Reboot and Ragnarok ended you would know they are beating a dead horse attempting to continue the GOW franchise moving forward.

You don’t know what you are talking about.

They have effectively reimagined Kratos. That’s what happened. Your lack of creativity is your own problem.

Last edited:
That’s what i hinted at in my previous posts. When i said we got wimp version of Tyr which got the spotlight.

I did play the whole game till the end. Oh that end battle with Odin was not something SSM should be proud about felt like it was rushed, very mediocre compared to older GOW games.
Ok, lol. Yeah, crap game. Everyone hates it. Santa Monica should be ashamed from putting out such shovelware. /s

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
There is no DLC for Ragnarok. This was confirmed by Sony Santa Monica a while ago. New game plus in a patch is the only thing that's happening similar to God of War 2018.

And the Norse mythology is over and done with. It will most likely be Egyptian.
But what are the odds that Tyr's voice actor is already aware of this? The script is probably still being written at the moment so I imagine only whoever was put in charge of the project is aware of the story.

The implication is that whatever the voice actor is working on should be coming out soon. Maybe not a DLC but perhaps he'll reprise his role for the TV show or something?

Whatever the case, I highly doubt this is a teaser for a sequel. Not even sure Sony Santa Monica intends to do one anytime soon.

God please no, this series has become so rotten and Ragnarok was so mid, please let the talented devs of Santa Monica try their hands at a more promising IP.
Lol sure, critically acclaimed game that sells 12+m is mid. Grow up.
It was always gonna be more GoW. Companies like Sony don’t move on from billion dollar games.

Please return to the Greek Mythology and the Old camera and no Father Son Crap Thanks
Never, ever happening.
We might get a small game by another studio, but Santa Monica is never doing a hack and slash again. There’s nothing cinematic about the old games, their storytelling was trash compared to the norse saga

Top Bottom