• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla X Kong New Trailer.

near

Gold Member
This looks stupid, but I'll still watch it. I definitely don't like the direction they're heading with the Monsterverse, and there will be no turning back from this stupidity. Here's to hoping it's actually enjoyable.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dunno, that little ape is cheeeeesy. The red Kong with the whip, just more monkey action. There are cooler things to fight. Skull Island had some dope creatures in it, where are those designs?

They really need to tie in Pacific Rim or some sort of human mecha stuff just so the humans can do more than stand around, looking awed, making quips.

And we are about 2 films away from Godzilla and Kong doing a tag-team leap into space to land on Mars to fight an alien or something.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Ghidorah is back I guess.

Wish they kept the tone and vibes of the first Godzilla movie. This dumb schlock looks like a movie version of Primal Rage.
I like that one but found it a bit boring. At least these ones aren't boring and to be fair the vast majority of Godzilla movies are cheese and shlock.

Happy Jump GIF by Max

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It looks so, so shit. Fucking lmao

Going from Minus One to this is like being served Kobe fillet one day and then microwave burgers the next. The drop in quality is so extreme..

it does look a little bit much, but then again I'm fine with Godzilla movies being a little silly. as long as there are big kaijus doing mass destruction and I can feel my body shake from the roar of Godzilla, I'm fine with it. I like King Of Monsters and Godzilla VS Kong, and I like Shin Godzilla and Minus One. they are different types of stories for different types of audience. serious stories are great and silly kaiju fights are also more than welcome too.

zOUNfnM.gif

poodaddy

When the hell is Godzilla Minus One coming to video? I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters and I really wanna see it.

This looks awful, really dumb.....Can't wait, definitely gonna watch it.

thefool

It's not the absurdness or silliness of the premise that makes it look bad, but the imagery that's displayed on screen. It looks off, fake. The scale, the movement, the weight. Its weightless computer generated imagery moving around and our reaction is yawn.

Compare this with Bay's Transformer from way back in 2007. 17 years ago! Somehow this industry is moving backwards.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's not the absurdness or silliness of the premise that makes it look bad, but the imagery that's displayed on screen. It looks off, fake. The scale, the movement, the weight. Its weightless computer generated imagery moving around and our reaction is yawn.

Compare this with Bay's Transformer from way back in 2007. 17 years ago! Somehow this industry is moving backwards.
Very much agreed. Maybe Transformers would have cost 500 million to do today or taken 2 years versus 2 months but SOMETHING is off with almost every modern film compared to the 00's. Too much, too rushed, pawned off to lowest bidder, or directors just don't know how to use it and cinematographers (or whoever is in charge of making 95% digital shots 'look good') are just as skilled. The new Wicked trailer is the same way. TONS of digital stuff on screen, it OUGHT to look amazing, but instead it is flat, disorganized, and a chaotic mess.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It looks so, so shit. Fucking lmao

Going from Minus One to this is like being served Kobe fillet one day and then microwave burgers the next. The drop in quality is so extreme..
It's a good metaphor, but also I'll totally eat and enjoy both a good steak and a Wendy's burger.

If anything, getting Minus One, the perfect Godzilla movie that I've always wished they would make, takes a lot of the pressure off of these MonsterVerse movies. I can just enjoy them for the dumb, kid-friendly spectacle that they are without fretting about how it could have been better.

pel1300

I just searched for the official trailer for Transformers 2007 and yeah it looks just as good as I remember. Usually with these older movies, it's just nostalgia glasses making you think they looked better than they did. But not in this case:

xrnzaaas

I've learned to enjoy the 2014 Godzilla flick, "first" Kong movie was decent, but everything Hollywood made after that is crap and I'll probably skip this one entirely.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

This was exactly my problem with Godzilla vs Kong as well. They’re supposed to be like the size of skyscrapers but half the time they’re bouncing around like human sized wrestlers. Their size, weight, scale, momentum was totally off and it seemed to change from scene to scene.

I think the first Pacific Rim did it right. The robots and monsters moved like they had some real weight and momentum. The impacts felt really earth shattering and satisfying.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How did we get from Kong Skull Island to this??

From King of the Monsters…to..this?

Giant Mechanical Glove. Enslaved Kongs. Pink Godzilla.

We are full on Nickelodeon, WWE, and Fast and Furious mode now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It looks off, fake. The scale, the movement, the weight. Its weightless computer generated imagery moving around and our reaction is yawn.

Yup. Pacific Rim takes big dumb robots and monsters, but actually has them do cool things in a more tangible fashion.

pel1300

Same how we went from a somewhat serious tone to Wrestlemania in the old films.
Are you trying to make the point that they are rehashing old ideas?

Besides, it's kind of a straw man since those campy ones are considered inferior to the original and only get by on childhood nostalgia kind of the same way the ewoks from return of the Jedi do.

Last edited:
Are you trying to make the point that they are rehashing old ideas?

Besides, it's kind of a straw man since those campy ones are considered inferior to the original and only get by on childhood nostalgia kind of the same way the ewoks from return of the Jedi do.
That's entirely your opinion.

Christ, Toho purists are so goddamn annoying. The campy films as just as valid as the serious ones. Minus One being great doesn't mean that KotM or GvK aren't also great.

pel1300

That's entirely your opinion.

Christ, Toho purists are so goddamn annoying. The campy films as just as valid as the serious ones. Minus One being great doesn't mean that KotM or GvK aren't also great.

Considering that the person you were replying to sounds like a fan of Skull Island and KOTM, and that I said nothing about KOTM or GvK, this makes no sense.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This just looks shamefully bad and ugly. Did they push this work out to the cheapest effects house possible?

VulcanRaven

I saw this yesterday and it was fun but can't say that it was very good. Action was great but the story was bad. This was even sillier than the previous movie. I'm sure kids will like this.

Edit: I liked the previous movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom