• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Minus One - New Toho Godzilla Movie

Labolas

Wanted to update the thread for early impressions from our jp bros
https://mykaiju.com/the-reviews-are-coming-in/

『ゴジラ-1.0』の試写を見せてもらったが、驚異的に面白かった! 強烈な反戦映画。同時に「こんな戦いを見たかった」というシーンがいくつも出てきて、どうしてもワクワクする。ゴジラの映画はすべて見てきたけど、これがいちばん好き。泣けるし、さまざま胸に迫るし、大傑作だ!

I was shown a preview of “Godzilla-1.0” and it was amazingly interesting! A strong anti-war movie. At the same time, there are many scenes that make me think, “I wanted to see this kind of battle,” and I can’t help but get excited. I’ve seen all the Godzilla movies, but this one is my favorite. It will make you cry, it will touch your heart in many ways, and it is a masterpiece!

近藤隆史[空想科学研究所 所長] @KUSOshocho

「ゴジラマイナスワン」の完成披露試写会にご招待頂き見てきました!内容はまだ言っちゃいけないので感想だけ。ハラハラドキドキと涙と笑い。自分が担当していたらどう撮ろうどう作ろうと悩んでしまいそうなショットだらけ。関係者の皆様、お疲れ様でした。ぜひ劇場で!

I was invited to the preview screening of “Godzilla Minus One” to see it! I can’t tell you the details yet, so I’ll just give my impressions. Heart pounding, tears and laughter. There are so many shots that I would worry about how to take or create if I were in charge of them. Thank you to everyone involved for your hard work. Be sure to check it out at the theater!

Koji Matsunaga @sonicpower1970

今夜は #ゴジラマイナスワン の試写にお招きいただいた。ちょっと言葉にならないくらいの凄さと重さと声に出したいくらいの慟哭があった。シン・ゴジラとはまるで真逆の方向なのに、あの時と同じ興奮をさせてもらえた。ゴジラは生きている。

Tonight I was invited to the preview screening of #GodzillaMinusOne. There was so much awesomeness and heaviness that I can’t put into words, and so much sadness that I wanted to say it out loud. Even though it was in the complete opposite direction from Shin Godzilla, it gave me the same excitement as that time. Godzilla is alive.

みくばんP()@MikubanP

0neAnd0nly

The previews actually have me a little concerned.

I don’t want this to be overly dramatic and political.

It’s beaten to death at this point.

Yes, I am aware that Godzilla is a political / war metaphor for anyone coming in here to quote me - I am a HUGE fan (see the avatar?), just saying - Big G movies should still have some excitement to them IMO.

Yes, I am aware that Godzilla is a political / war metaphor for anyone coming in here to quote me - I am a HUGE fan (see the avatar?), just saying - Big G movies should still have some excitement to them IMO.
It's a remake of the 1954 OG which was openly an allegory for nuclear war and the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. If they removed the original allegory and anti-war, anti-nuclear overtones of the original, it would be an insult to the legacy of the OG and the franchise it spawned. I'm glad they kept it apparently very accurate to the themes of the OG.

The 2014 American reboot, while keeping the somber tone and mood, completely excised almost all mentions of Godzilla's nuclear origins and was a worse film because of it. If Minus One avoids that trap of tiptoeing around nuclear then it's already a better film than 2014 was.

0neAnd0nly

It's a remake of the 1954 OG which was openly an allegory for nuclear war and the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. If they removed the original allegory and anti-war, anti-nuclear overtones of the original, it would be an insult to the legacy of the OG and the franchise it spawned. I'm glad they kept it apparently very accurate to the themes of the OG.

The 2014 American reboot, while keeping the somber tone and mood, completely excised almost all mentions of Godzilla's nuclear origins and was a worse film because of it. If Minus One avoids that trap of tiptoeing around nuclear then it's already a better film than 2014 was.

54 is probably my favorite. I have seen it countless times. I own every film.

But it is a bit more nuanced than that.

The
plot leak calling it a direct remake have never been confirmed, hence why the previews are saying they can’t say much.

I never said it can’t have similar symbolism, I just hope it isn’t ALL melodramatic stuff. Original G is considered by many (myself included) an excellent horror film WITH a great nuanced, symbolic nod to the war event of the current mind. It isn’t so heavy and overt that is ruins the fun and tension of the film.

I don’t want Oppenheimer, I want big G. Ya feel?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Rea

Both aspects are important. One doesn't need to come at the expense of the other, and it sounds like this movie remembers that.

Fundamentally the best Godzilla movies are disaster movies. You need to care about the people facing the disaster but you also need the spectacle of the disaster itself.

But what I have read of the Minus One reviews praise both aspects.

Last edited:
He looks like Heisei era Godzilla, which is what I grew up on.
Ki56Ili.png

That being said the CGI looks kind of… videogamey. I don’t know I thought Shin looked perfect. It was CGI but whatever they did with it made it look like it could’ve been classic practical effects. I think the stiffness and animations of Shin helped sell that too.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, regardless of the tech used to create it, I still want "my godzilla" to be one that looks like it could be a guy in a suit. The proportions, anatomy, and movement should reflect that.

When they get more animalistic or alien is when I lose some interest. It's also nice when they pick a specific size and stick with it, using depth and perspective to really show it off. However Gareth Edwards does it is how they need to keep it. That guy just understands size and perspective in a really great way. Almost to a fault as I don't think the overflying supership in The Creator was quite properly scaled.

I've put Shin on... Let's sheeeeee...

I'll tell you one thing - I'm not threatened by this lot, noooo way.

Any of this bunch step to me and I'll... Deck the lot of em! 👊🦎

that roar and those fins popping up one by one charging for the blast gave me chills. I'm definitely down for this. the preview makes it feel like this would be focus on the people's struggle in the hard time of post WWII and I'm fine with it too, as long as they don't dilute the big G's role.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Huh, we watch him eat at least 5", if not larger, naval artillery shells point blank. Seems like conventional weaponry is useless, so they must be going for nukes or an oxygen destroyer equivalent as the last line of defense. Maybe appeasement in some way?

Alas, I think the timing of this film in the midst of 2 regional conflicts making the news regularly featuring civilians in harms way, might blunt enthusiasm for watching Big G stomp all over tokyo. The realism given by CGI, versus the stage effects adding a (needed, IMHO) layer of distance, will compound this.

Still, hard to know the tone and focus of the film, though the trailer certainly paints it as a grim struggle for survival.

Little Mac

Looks amazing. Love how he is, infact, a monster, and not humanity’s greatest defender. He’s supposed to be a natural disaster, showing up unexpectedly, and without remorse, wiping tens of thousands of men, women, and children from existence because they just happen to be in his way. And when another monster is introduced and they mercilessly fight each other because on some deep instinctual need to dominate or kill potential rivals, humanity remains the insignificant blades of glass the two monsters trample over. We are supposed to be powerless to these events. It’s supposed to be our culling, or at the very least, our reality check. This is supposed to be a horror movie with cool looking monsters.

end rant GIF

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Looks amazing. Love how he is, infact a monster, and not humanity’s greatest defender. He’s supposed to be a natural disaster, showing up unexpectedly and, without remorse, wiping hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children from existence because they happen to be in his way. And when another monster is introduced and they mercilessly fight each other because on some deep instinctual need to dominate or kill potential rivals, humanity remains the insigificant blades of glass the two monster trample over. We are supposed to be powerless. It’s supposed to be a horror movie with cool looking monsters.

end rant GIF

I enjoy the 2 Godzilla path; Horror movie G and Earth Defender G.

They both make some sense, and both were started in Showa era so I can accept both as good / ingrained paths.

But yeah monster / horror G is definitely underrated when done right. Will be cool to see!

SF Kosmo

Bought my IMAX tickets for the 29th. Bringing my daughter, gonna be her first Godzilla.

I enjoy the 2 Godzilla path; Horror movie G and Earth Defender G.

They both make some sense, and both were started in Showa era so I can accept both as good / ingrained paths.

But yeah monster / horror G is definitely underrated when done right. Will be cool to see!
Godzilla's a lot of things, sure. And I have love for some of the campy Showa era stuff, too. I wore my VHS tapes of those movies out as a kid.

But I dunno how you would make that work today. And the best Godzilla's are definitely the ones that are handled like disaster films.

So far none of the theaters within a 2 hour drive from me have this in their listings. I really don't want to go to fucking Lancaster or Dickson City to see this.

Looks amazing. Director Takashi Yamazaki has stated that while the concept is obviously inspired by 1954, his favorite Godzilla movie is 2001's Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. The film was released in Japan yesterday and it's getting rave reviews there. I'm very excited, it's a shame we have to wait a month but oh well.

stickkidsam

GO GO GODZILLAAAAAA-ohhh no. I think he just murdered a family.

Can't wait to get my butt in that theater! The way his atomic breath charges up. So good.

Pejo

So hyped for this, but it's gonna be tough for it to top Shin for me, personally. I trust Japan to do the allegories to war without being heavy fisted about it, like if it was Netflix or Disney.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sooo, is it any good? Gonna be tough to convince the wife to go, might have to arraign a boys trip instead.

Also, is this gonna be dubbed or subbed for the US? Considering taking my 10 year old but he isn't gonna want to read.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Sooo, is it any good? Gonna be tough to convince the wife to go, might have to arraign a boys trip instead.
All the reviews I have read put it as one of the best Godzilla films, and several have called it a masterpiece.

Granted it's a pretty short list of Godzilla movies that are good-good as opposed to fun/stupid-good.

Also, is this gonna be dubbed or subbed for the US? Considering taking my 10 year old but he isn't gonna want to read.
It's strictly subbed this time around. I am taking my 9 year old. She doesn't like subtitles but tolerates them for some anime and is a pretty strong reader, so I think it's okay.

SF Kosmo

English reviews have been coming out and it's currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with most critics hailing it as the best movie in the series since the first one.

I've got my tickets for the IMAX showing, and I've been marathoning old Godzilla movies for the last few weeks (good ones and bad ones). I'm super ready.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
English reviews have been coming out and it's currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with most critics hailing it as the best movie in the series since the first one.

I've got my tickets for the IMAX showing, and I've been marathoning old Godzilla movies for the last few weeks (good ones and bad ones). I'm super ready.

Our local IMAX closed (reopening in 2024), so I'll have to settle for my other town cinema, which doesn't have IMAX, but it is showing this film in 4DX. It's either that or standard 2D.

Billbofet

Our local IMAX closed (reopening in 2024), so I'll have to settle for my other town cinema, which doesn't have IMAX, but it is showing this film in 4DX. It's either that or standard 2D.
I am so excited for this!! I have seen in a couple reviews that state the SOUND is what really stands out in the movie.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gonna go see thi in IMAX this weekend. I this a prequel? Do I need to see anything else before it???

SF Kosmo

Gonna go see thi in IMAX this weekend. I this a prequel? Do I need to see anything else before it???
Pure reboot. It's set earlier in than any of the other movies but it's not a prequel because it doesn't exist in any of the other movies continuity.

In general continuity doesn't matter much in the Toho Godzilla series. There have been so many soft reboots that connect to the first movie and nothing else. The previous one (Shin Godzilla) was also a reboot, and now they're rebooting again. Most of the Millennium series were reboots as well. You're fine.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just got back from an early screening. I absolutely loved it. What I was not expecting at all was a sincere emotional story told around the backdrop of a giant monster attacking a Japan still digging itself out of the rubble shortly after the end of WW2. Unlike a lot of movies these days, they spent time and created characters that you care about and can understand their motivations. And as for the monster itself? They made it a true destructive threat and whatever the hell they did with it's eyes was a bit unnerving in a good way.

Hope that those of you that decide to go check it out enjoy it as much as I did.

stickkidsam

I’ve loved the jolly green giant since I broke my femur in a bouncy house. From the goofy Showa era to the edgy Millenium, I’ve been shouting go go power ran- Godzilla! This one? It may be my favorite of them all!

Godzilla brings a sense of dread and his design is almost painfully cool. The human story plucks at your heart strings. The fights feel packed with tension as you wonder how they’re gonna make it out alive! One moment you’ll be on the edge of your seat and the next ya may be reaching for a hanky. It even has the occasional moment of levity.

The movie isn’t perfect of course. Some story beats can feel a little drawn out and the CGI can be a bit obvious at times. It does so much right though and the few parts it falls short on are naught but the impotent bullets of a .22 caliber chaingun bouncing off a roaring force of nature.

This movie had an actual applause, something I thought all but dead for movies, and it was well deserved. History has once again shown how nature points out the folly of man!

SF Kosmo

Oh man, what a fucking movie. This is everything Godzilla can and should be, a monster movie, a disaster movie, and post-war melodrama, and it succeeds on all fronts.

This is by far the most aggressive incarnation of Godzilla. He isn't lumbering and indifferent, he is like "Fuck your city, and fuck you in particular." He bites people in half and flings them through the air, chases down and attacks ships, and is a walking nuclear bomb. Holy shit.

But just as importantly, the human drama really hits too. There's a full cast of memorable and likable characters trying to overcome really difficult circumstances (even before G shows up) and I found it easy to get invested in them. It definitely veers into over-the-top melodrama at times, but that feels deliberate and nostalgic and the actors sell it all.

And the effects work was really extraordinary considering the budget they had to work with. Yeah, some shots might look better than others, but it honestly looks better than a lot of Hollywood movies with 10 times the budget.

As a Godzilla fan, this is a 10/10. And even just as a movie overall it's a 9/10.

My wife has no interest in Godzilla and hates foreign films, yet still want's to go with me lol.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Just got back from an early screening. I absolutely loved it. What I was not expecting at all was a sincere emotional story told around the backdrop of a giant monster attacking a Japan still digging itself out of the rubble shortly after the end of WW2. Unlike a lot of movies these days, they spent time and created characters that you care about and can understand their motivations. And as for the monster itself? They made it a true destructive threat and whatever the hell they did with it's eyes was a bit unnerving in a good way.

Hope that those of you that decide to go check it out enjoy it as much as I did.
Does it play the Godzilla theme?

Laieon

Yep. Not to mention that Shin Godzilla, the Japanese Godzilla preceding this, was extremely political (heavy allegories surrounding the bureaucracy of Fukushima) and was all the better for it.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

I like to take time to sync my thoughts after hype, so now that is has been a little bit since I saw it...

It is absolutely one of my favorite Godzilla movies of all time. The hype is real, the movie is fantastic. Not perfect but any complaints are minor.

When I go to the movies, I go to IMAX or similar, this time around I did the DBOX (haptic motion) and it was incredible. You feel the movement on the ships while they are at water, the ground shake when he stomps, the plane jumping while flying, etc. Every time Godzilla is on screen you feel it all in the seat as you would expect IRL. If you have the option of DBOX for this film, good upgrade choice!

Not much I can add outside of what most people say. it isn't heavily political at all - the story is excellent (way better than it has any business being) and Godzilla is truly a horror character in this one. BIG props to TOHO!

Quoting my original post to update that any concerns I had of this, did not end up materializing. Thankfully! The film really dodges political components, or handles them in passing. It doesn't get preachy like so many western films today, letting the story flow naturally. The overall theme is more about humankind, and again, is very well done even though it is relatively simple as a whole. Lovely job!

You'll be fine, though some general Godzilla lore would be a nice addition to understanding Godzilla and what he is. This film sort of fast tracks a lot of the older nuances, assuming you probably know them, but even if you don't - you will enjoy it and won't be lost at all!

I'm in the same boat but with the added bonus my lad won't be interested either

Looks like a singles night for me then. I had to do it with Dune too.

FWIW - my wife LOVED it as well, and she is definitely not a nerd or into "monster movies" though she DOES watch Godzilla with me (because she loves me). We both raved about this film afterwards. Kids would very likely miss the undertones and emotion the story demands from the viewer - but of course you know your children better than anybody. The movie is 3 parts; monster / horror, tragedy, survival. That is about as much as I can say without giving spoilers.

My wife has no interest in Godzilla and hates foreign films, yet still want's to go with me lol.

My wife loved it, she will probably have a great time!

Yep. Not to mention that Shin Godzilla, the Japanese Godzilla preceding this, was extremely political (heavy allegories surrounding the bureaucracy of Fukushima) and was all the better for it.

Shin was moreso political satire. IMO when it's purposefully on the nose is a lot different than shoe horning it in. Thankfully this movie did NOT do that and absolutely thrived. Loved it.

Dr.Morris79

I like to take time to sync my thoughts after hype, so now that is has been a little bit since I saw it...

It is absolutely one of my favorite Godzilla movies of all time. The hype is real, the movie is fantastic. Not perfect but any complaints are minor.

When I go to the movies, I go to IMAX or similar, this time around I did the DBOX (haptic motion) and it was incredible. You feel the movement on the ships while they are at water, the ground shake when he stomps, the plane jumping while flying, etc. Every time Godzilla is on screen you feel it all in the seat as you would expect IRL. If you have the option of DBOX for this film, good upgrade choice!

Not much I can add outside of what most people say. it isn't heavily political at all - the story is excellent (way better than it has any business being) and Godzilla is truly a horror character in this one. BIG props to TOHO!

Quoting my original post to update that any concerns I had of this, did not end up materializing. Thankfully! The film really dodges political components, or handles them in passing. It doesn't get preachy like so many western films today, letting the story flow naturally. The overall theme is more about humankind, and again, is very well done even though it is relatively simple as a whole. Lovely job!

You'll be fine, though some general Godzilla lore would be a nice addition to understanding Godzilla and what he is. This film sort of fast tracks a lot of the older nuances, assuming you probably know them, but even if you don't - you will enjoy it and won't be lost at all!

FWIW - my wife LOVED it as well, and she is definitely not a nerd or into "monster movies" though she DOES watch Godzilla with me (because she loves me). We both raved about this film afterwards. Kids would very likely miss the undertones and emotion the story demands from the viewer - but of course you know your children better than anybody. The movie is 3 parts; monster / horror, tragedy, survival. That is about as much as I can say without giving spoilers.

My wife loved it, she will probably have a great time!

Shin was moreso political satire. IMO when it's purposefully on the nose is a lot different than shoe horning it in. Thankfully this movie did NOT do that and absolutely thrived. Loved it.
I'm so dragging them along to this then, nice one bud :messenger_winking:

SF Kosmo

I think this movie is just as political as the original film ever was, but like that film it doesn't forget to be a monster movie first, and it weaves those themes into a human narrative.

Also, a lot of the themes in this movie are kind of in direct opposition to the themes in the original. Where the original had to be sanitized for the western audience, this one probably feels pretty obvious to us, because the themes are about individualism, self reliance, about the toxicity of nationalism and the governments abuse of Japanese sense of "duty".

I think a lot of that is likely to be lost on Americans watching the movie, especially if they have never seen Godzilla 54, but they're there.

My wife and my 9 year old daughter absolutely loved the movie. My wife is an enjoyer of monster movies but not a hardcore G fan and she was blown away by this one. Made her cry and everything.

My daughter has never seen any Godzilla media before. I had considered trying to introduce her over recent years, but the modern Godzilla options never felt right -- Shin too dry satirical for a kid, and the Legendary ones are fine by not how I would want her to be introduced.

So when Minus One was announced I decided I was going to make this her first Godzilla and it was such a good decision, it made her an instant fan. She was on the edge of her seat, super invested in the characters, scared at the scary parts but not too scared. It was perfect.

She came out of the theater asking me to show her more Godzilla movies and now I find myself with a different problem, of how do I follow this up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom