• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Minus One - New Toho Godzilla Movie

0neAnd0nly

This looks to be a retelling of 54, the original, which is a fantastic horror film.

CG looks much improved over shin from the brief snippets.

Reading between the lines, December 1st is a Friday - so this may be getting a bit of a more than the typical single night theatrical release like Toho films in the past. That's welcome! A week or two would be epic in theaters.

Can't wait!

2tmov3s2ydbb1.jpg

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is this the same Godzilla who battles other insanely large monsters or is this the murdering monster Godzilla who shows no signs of stopping? Godzilla feels like a threat in this small teaser they showed. I want a unstoppable killing machine.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is this the same Godzilla who battles other insanely large monsters or is this the murdering monster Godzilla who shows no signs of stopping? Godzilla feels like a threat in this small teaser they showed. I want a unstoppable killing machine.
Looks like murdering Godzilla to me. If this is post-WW2 Japan then I'd expect the US military to be balls deep in this though I'm cool if they side-step that and stick with local defense forces for reasons. The problem with murdering Godzilla is that he (she?) can't have a conversation so we end up with more human drama and a lot less monster stompy action. I like monster on monster because then we might get less human BS. Thats the real downside to going CG instead of a guy in a suit smashing a model city. Once they spent the $$$ building that set they could USE IT for a lot of the film, but with CG every second costs more $$$ so they tend to cut it down if the budget is limited.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Me after watching that teaser trailer

bd32n01.jpg

Looks like this is the unstoppable force of nature Godzilla. The Godzilla who just wants to fuck up humanity because why not? AKA, the best Godzilla.

Not the lame, beta Legendary Godzilla.

0neAnd0nly

This film is somewhat of a retelling of the origin story, which we see as 1954 Godzilla. That movie is a horror movie, and this will probably be in the same vein. Highly suggest 54 if you haven't seen it.

Looks cool. Too bad I'm the only one who likes 1998 Godzilla.

I appreciate 1998 as my childhood introduction to Godzilla, though I truly am scared to watch it as an adult as I fear it may tarnish it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also, 98 "Zilla" is a cannon enemy of actual Godzilla now. #TheMoreYouKnow.

No chance of seeing the super disturbing shin godzilla first form with the crazy eyes right?

Boy i loved this version, the only time godzilla was truly terryfing, imagine that fucking thing coming at you

MindlessFlimsyFrogmouth-size_restricted.gif

Doofy G! Yeah, this will be unrelated from Shin. I wouldn't mind getting a continuation of Shin, but I can't lie and say I am not happy they are returning to a more traditional Godzilla this time around. Though Shin G final form has good call backs to 1954 Godzilla as far as aesthetic is concerned IMO, especially his skin.

Oh yeah, give me more Godzilla goodness.

We should be getting news on Godzilla x Kong shortly too, and TOHO recently said they are planning on more Godzilla news this year... whatever that means.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's surprising to see another reboot so soon after Shin Godzilla, especially considering Shin Godzilla was so good, but so far I am really liking what we have here.

Also excited for a theatrical release. I can finally take my daughter to a Godzilla movie.

The pitch here is to lean into the postwar anti-nuclear disaster movie angle of the original 1954 film, to show Japan as a country that is devastated by the war and two nuclear bombs and then has to deal with this giant lizard asshole on top of it all.

I don't think it aims to be a remake in the sense of following the same characters and all, but it's taking it back to the postwar timeline.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Design of Godzilla is awesome, he's a good mix of shin with the long tail and the western one with the muscular upper body and not utterly ridiculous waist etc. looks great.

UnNamed

Banned

I really liked Shin G, especially the first half, the second half is good but... it's more of a live-action Operation Yashima.

The only part I didn't like were the proto-gojira puppets. Ok Anno wanted to create the feels of old costumes, but this makes the CGI terrible.

Looks cool. Too bad I'm the only one who likes 1998 Godzilla.

My god, the music video is atrocious.

But the song is one of the best music songs for a movie, if you listen it with a good HiFi equipment.

Last edited:
If for some reason you have never seen it, watch Godzilla 1954. The great granddaddy of them all, the movie that launched the 70 years old next year Godzilla franchise.

Despite being nearly 70 years old, it's an amazing movie considering the limitations of technology they had literally before computers were even invented.

This is the first time anyone has ever tried to remake the OG 1954 picture. It has a LOT to live up to.

Tams

There's just something about pretty much all Japanese films that means I can't take them seriously. I don't think they can do character acting very well.

I know that I was supposed to be surprised, scared, sad, etc. in reaction to that trailer, but I just laughed.

Still, it looks like it'll be a good watch.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm getting the vibe that this is a direct sequel to the OG Godzilla, like we zapped one, and now it's mate/spawn has come for revenge.

Fbh

Looks great. Shin Godzilla is the last one I saw and I thought it was great, so looking forward to this
The imdb page from the dude who is seemingly writing, directing and in charge of the VFX isn't exactly confidence inspiring though.

Kinda off topic but was Shin Ultraman any good? It's by the same writer/director duo as Shin Godzilla, right?

“In theaters nationwide” it says at the end.

…which nation?

Great trailer. Looks nuts. I’m pretty sure that’s the bomb over Hiroshima going off we see a clip of. Did Oppenheimer create godzilla?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Looks great. Shin Godi just watchedzilla is the last one I saw and I thought it was great, so looking forward to this
The imdb page from the dude who is seemingly writing, directing and in charge of the VFX isn't exactly confidence inspiring though.

Kinda off topic but was Shin Ultraman any good? It's by the same writer/director duo as Shin Godzilla, right?
I just watched the trailer for Shin Ultraman. That's going to be NO from me dawg.

Dunno, I was gonna watch it via the bluray, but that release has been an absolute shit show.

And apparently Cleopatra Entertainment's replacement disc...as far as English subtitle tracks, it only included a dubtitle closed captions track.

They're working on a THIRD release...when really they should have just let a more competent company release it.

Apparently Shin Kamen Rider is on Amazon Prime Video, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

kunonabi

I liked the first 20/30 minutes Shin Ultraman but the rest went in a direction I didn't quite care for. The bigger ultraman fans in my theatres seemed to really like it though so I may have just had the wrong expectations. I loved shin kamen rider though despite a somewhat underwhelming final battle.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I loved loved loved Shin Godzilla -- so I'm super stoked for this. These modern Toho Godzilla movies are damn near perfect.

Oh damn im gonna go see this at the toho cinema...itll be nuts watching a godzilla flick with godziilla on top of the building.

Fbh

Dunno, I was gonna watch it via the bluray, but that release has been an absolute shit show.

And apparently Cleopatra Entertainment's replacement disc...as far as English subtitle tracks, it only included a dubtitle closed captions track.

They're working on a THIRD release...when really they should have just let a more competent company release it.

Apparently Shin Kamen Rider is on Amazon Prime Video, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jesus, how hard can it be to release a decent bluray?
Thanks for the warning. I guess the digital version you can rent on amazon is based on the same flawed release?

Top Bottom