• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye Remastered Coming soon to Xbox / Game Pass - Incl. Achievements, 4K Resolution etc

Banned
To some degree, no, and the Xbox "version" would need that written in while the Switch version is emulated in the Nintendo Online shell and service so it sort of "comes with" online... still, it's a bad hand Xbox was dealt that it's not the most fully-featured version,. Putting something like this online connectivity into the Xbox's N64 emulator (which would have to be written custom for Xbox anyway) would have been possible but just didn't happen.

still, the way online play through these emulators works is horrible and downright unplayable in some cases.
so this is not something anyone should ever play.

Perfect Dark has online play and is also in gamepass and part of Rare Replay, so the better Rare N64 shooter already has proper online MP, nothing of value is lost here imo.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Only switch version has online? There's millions of players would want to play it online, but no, of course that platform where only two people have Nintendo online, which they use for trading pokemon.

gNQ4abl.gif

Mr Moose

One of the classics. Rare improved on it with Perfect Dark.
Bit weird it has an online mode, and it's Switch exclusive.

Adam_802

https://kotaku.com/goldeneye-007-game-pass-remaster-switch-online-xbox-n64-1849530175

While Nintendo promoted a port with online play for its Switch Online Expansion Pack during a big September Direct, Microsoft quietly revealed a better version of the game would be coming to Xbox Game Pass at some point as well.

The Switch Online version is presumably just a port running in an emulator with additional features. On Xbox, however, GoldenEye 007 maker Rare is promising achievements, dual analogue stick support, 4K resolution, and a “smoother framerate.” It’s not clear if that means it’s targeting 60 FPS or not, but based on the teaser it definitely looks higher than the original.

CamHostage

Eh, sort of the "better version". It's the N64 game, but in a heavily hacked emulation shell with widescreen hacks. (They couldn't for example fix the font display since those are 2D elements.) And no online, even though that would have to be that weird me-host-you-tethered online play mode that emulators use.

GE_Screenshot_06-47035b425d9b7e958026.jpg

It is not the nice remastered edition that Microsoft was originally planning for Xbox 360.

N64 left, 360 version right
GE_Screenshot_02-5fc85f1c3965a771f83d.jpg
6RSovqCh8ghkXLSaHY9iu5.jpg

Last edited:

DrCheese

Ars technica as well saying it's not the 2008 port, so it's just a half arsed up res'd version.

The fonts in the post above were changed/refreshed in the 2008 port

What a waste. I bet Nintendo insisted they couldn't remake it entirely.

nikos

As much as I loved this game back in the day, I feel like it’s better off left in the past. Probably won’t touch this because it could taint the good memories I have of it.

Last edited:

Adam_802

Eh, sort of the "better version". It's the N64 game, but in a heavily hacked emulation shell with widescreen hacks. (They couldn't for example fix the font display since those are 2D elements.) And no online, even though that would have to be that weird me-host-you-tethered online play mode that emulators use.

GE_Screenshot_06-47035b425d9b7e958026.jpg

It is not the nice remastered edition that Microsoft was originally planning for Xbox 360.

N64 left, 360 version right
6RSovqCh8ghkXLSaHY9iu5.jpg

Still looks better than the Switch version, and how much you wanna bet the NSO version will have broken controls/emulation issues? NSO N64 implementation hasn't had a good track record.

Screenshots of the cancelled 360 version for those still thinking the Xbox Series edition is using that one as the base:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

goldeneye-007-reloaded-14.png

Looking at this now, I'm actually getting angry the more I think about the remaster because it just comes off as that much more of a phoned-in, cash-grab port. That somehow is even more gimped on Xbox systems because of no online multiplayer. Going from the cancelled Reloaded (which seems like a genuine remake for its time would have been a strong base for a release today) to what's been announced today, is a severe downgrade.

What a failure of an opportunity to capitalize. A remake should've been the obvious answer, or at least use the 360 version as the base with upscaled textures, resolution, and online MP for both Switch and Xbox systems.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Screenshots of the cancelled 360 version for those still thinking the Xbox Series edition is using that one as the base:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

goldeneye-007-reloaded-14.png

Looking at this now, I'm actually getting angry the more I think about the remaster because it just comes off as that much more of a phoned-in, cash-grab port. That somehow is even more gimped on Xbox systems because of no online multiplayer. Going from the cancelled Reloaded (which seems like a genuine remake for its time would have been a strong base for a release today) to what's been announced today, is a severe downgrade.

What a failure of an opportunity to capitalize. A remake should've been the obvious answer, or at least use the 360 version as the base with upscaled textures, resolution, and online MP for both Switch and Xbox systems.

Bruh those are screens from Goldeneye Reloaded.

Not the XBLA remastered.

Take a breather, you're coming off too strong here lol.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Is this the first Game Pass exclusive? Maybe I'm reaching but it ends with "coming to Game Pass" without anything else mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Only switch version has online? There's millions of players would want to play it online, but no, of course that platform where only two people have Nintendo online, which they use for trading pokemon.

gNQ4abl.gif
Glad I just got Switch online now

This is going to be awesome and handheld too

7vDA.gif

Bruh those are screens from Goldeneye Reloaded.

Not the XBLA remastered.

Take a breather, you're coming off too strong here lol.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're right, my bad. Here are some screens from the actual cancelled version:

Goldeneye-xbox.jpg

6RSovqCh8ghkXLSaHY9iu5-1200-80.jpg

I definitely wouldn't have mind a remake in the vein of Reloaded tbh; clean up the textures a bit more and push for at least 1440p output and it could look like a modern high-polish AA release.

But the actual XBLA version, as you can see here, still looks pretty good and a noticeable step-up from the N64 version that both Switch & Xbox are using for this remaster. Just look at the difference in mountainside detail between the above and this:

GE_Screenshot_01-4472b142f8e0b4404b31.jpg

Obvious skybox differences, too, among other things. They should've used the cancelled 360 version as the base, at the absolute very least.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

There are some aspects that actually look better in the original, like the glass on the chemistry glassware, other artistic choices and textures.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Never got into the original because I had a PC at the time and PC shooters were infinitely better, but if it is on PC game-pass I might check it out.

Roberts

It will be funny to see all these three people playing it online on Switch. Who thought it was a good idea?

Anyway, I've never played the game before so at least I will check it out.

Last edited:
Goldeneye was awesome, seen from the eyes of a 15 year old in the late 90s. But it is a terrible game from just about any modern standard. The nostalgia is strong with this one, but I really don't understand why anyone gets excited about this is 2022.

CamHostage

6RSovqCh8ghkXLSaHY9iu5-1200-80.jpg

But the actual XBLA version, as you can see here, still looks pretty good and a noticeable step-up from the N64 version that both Switch & Xbox are using for this remaster. Just look at the difference in mountainside detail between the above and this:

Obvious skybox differences, too, among other things. They should've used the cancelled 360 version as the base, at the absolute very least.

Xbox 360 version also let you toggle graphics modes to the "original" graphics (although it wasn't the "actual" N64 game running underneath it so it couldn't have been 100% accurate, if that's something people wanted.) It was the best of both worlds if it could have been officially released, instead this is something in between.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Goldeneye was awesome, seen from the eyes of a 15 year old in the late 90s. But it is a terrible game from just about any modern standard. The nostalgia is strong with this one, but I really don't understand why anyone gets excited about this is 2022.
What modern standard is that? Shitty FPS games that tell you exactly where to go, with battle royale focuses, season passes, and microtransactions?

I'll take nostalgic Bond over those shitty games any day of the week. I hear 343 is still working on Halo Infinite to reach a modern standard, so the rest of you can look into that one when it's finished in 8 years.

nkarafo

Never got into the original because I had a PC at the time and PC shooters were infinitely better, but if it is on PC game-pass I might check it out.

What shooters were "infinitely" better on PC in 1997?

Quake 2 was the biggest FPS at the time and there were some others like Blood and Shadow Warrior.

All good games but Goldeneye was more ambitious and complex, offering things that didn't even exist in the FPS genre. It wasn't "better" or "worse" but it was different enough.

nkarafo

You should download that leaked XBLA build and try it with a 360 pad, updated controls (proper dual analogue aiming) and 60fps feels MUCH better.
You can do that with the original game as well. Either by using one controller on each hand (it works surprisingly well thanks to their shape) or using an emulator and "fusing" two controllers in one.

CamHostage

The butchering that emulators do to sprites, particularly HUD elements, is an abomination. How can anyone think that dialog box looks acceptable?

Well, it's just expanding the graphic and then filtering; they could have done it in a different way, but unless you actually want the graphics 1:1 (in a tiny-tiny box on your gigantic 1080p/4K screen) or exact to the pixel aspect ratio of your screen (which wouldn't be exactly proportional to how big the 3D has been expanded to fit the screen, thus it'd be either too big or too small and still pixely,) you'll get ugly graphics and usually ugly texts when you take low-res 2D and blow it up. (3D ain't so hot either, to a lot of eyes, but it's compensated for and was always designed to be stretched or repeated anyway.)

It is possible to go into the code and replace 2D elements (including fonts, which I believe were stored as individual graphics per letter in old games and even now I think a lot of fonts are bitmaps) in a game, but that's original hackwork and A. might not be allowed through MS's contract with Nintendo (they can stretch and filter the game as much as they want in the emulator, but they probably cannot alter the code,) and B. opens up a can of worms for stability and legality and quality-of-improvement (some people might not like MS's version of the HUD bullet as much as the iconic Rare original burned into people's minds and CRT TVs...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom