• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye Remastered Coming soon to Xbox / Game Pass - Incl. Achievements, 4K Resolution etc

Lol no it’s not, both Nintendo and Microsoft have equal rights to the game, both need each other’s blessings to release the game, ms got the short hand of the stick, because they are dumb and clueless.
Alright master of negotiations, what would your counter offer have been?

Goldeneye 007 has never been good anyway.

(actually, I believe that but is interesting to see what other people might think now when they play it in 2022/2023)

Depends on if you were a console or PC gamer in or before 1997.

You will get too very different takes, or three if you gamed on a Saturn.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Phew, no online achievements. Hate those.

YAGpXPd.png

You're right, with technicalities.

DaGwaphics

Lol no it’s not, both Nintendo and Microsoft have equal rights to the game, both need each other’s blessings to release the game, ms got the short hand of the stick, because they are dumb and clueless.

I'm taking it you've never tried to play a game over a remote connection using NetPlay. :messenger_winking_tongue: Unless Nintendo's solution is better than most, anything outside the local network isn't going to run the way we are now used to.

nkarafo

it will I expect hold up very poorly by many gamers modern standards, except for those wearing exceptionally strong nostalgia lenses.
This is where i disagree. You seem to hold modern FPS games at a higher standard. IMO though, older FPS games were generally better. Especially in level design where Goldeneye shines with some of it's maps (though there are a few stinkers).

Goldeneye also has a few other things that aged very well. The music is still great and it's nice for newer players who grew up with muted, modern FPS games where stock music from movies only plays during "action" because "cinematic".

The collision detection/precision of the shots is second to none. You can shoot through tiny corners and gaps as long as the center of your sight is 1 pixel away from a surface. Most other games would have your shot stuck at the nearest polygon if you did that but not Goldeneye. That's why the game can easily tell the exact spot you hit an enemy. PD expanded on that by being able to shoot the enemies' own weapons off their hands (can you do that in any modern FPS you know of?).

I also like the way you can lock the camera in place and only move the weapon and cross hair. I love this because the weapon doesn't feel like it's glued on the camera, like 100% of other FPS games.

The 3 different difficulties don't only make the enemies tougher and more lethal, it also adds more missions in the maps so you have to explore more. And i also like the non-linear way you can tackle some of these missions.

And this is why i always find the "nostalgia glasses" argument condescending. Because it's a non-argument. You don't really explain what's wrong with the game and why newer games are, apparently, always and automatically better no matter what. All you say is everyone who still likes it must be delusional.

Honestly, the 3 major issues i hear about this game are: 1) Graphics, 2) Frame Rate, 3) Controls.

Number 3 is false though. Most people never bothered to use any other scheme except the default. But Goldeneye can be controlled almost like a modern dual stick FPS, even on the original controller (1.2 solitaire, hold from left side). It even has a real dual analog mode if you hold a controller on each hand, which works better than it sounds.

Number 1 and 2 are legitimate issues but a remaster can always fix those. You can already fix number 2 with emulation anyway.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm taking it you've never tried to play a game over a remote connection using NetPlay. :messenger_winking_tongue: Unless Nintendo's solution is better than most, anything outside the local network isn't going to run the way we are now used to.

from what I've tried while playing around with the trial of NSO and from what I've seen online it's worse than netplay on Retroarch. at least once you go beyond 2 players

Banned
It’s a remaster so I assume no.

with how old the code is it might as well be remade honestly, who knows if they still had the source code on hand.

and they said faithfully recreated for Xbox One/SX, so I could definitely see them just carefully reverse engineering the game. similarly to how Square Enix had to reverse engineer Kingdom Hearts due to the missing source code

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Complete horseshit answer on why it can't be online play on other platforms. Modders have been doing it for years with shoe string budgets.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Complete horseshit answer on why it can't be online play on other platforms. Modders have been doing it for years with shoe string budgets.
What was that quote from that Microsoft dude? ‘We want more people to be able to play, not less’ or something like that?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Depends on if you were a console or PC gamer in or before 1997.

You will get too very different takes, or three if you gamed on a Saturn.
Ive always been a PC gamer as main platform, which is also why I believe I didn't find goldeneye special

Chukhopops

Ive always been a PC gamer as main platform, which is also why I believe I didn't find goldeneye special
It’s one of those « you had to be there » games, for me it’s part of the Holy Trinity of couch multiplayer games I played for actual years with my friends back in the days.

The game also has a solid SP especially if you try to do all the speedrun challenges. I’m sure it will look horrible for people who will try it today but for me it was one of the two absolute peak eras of gaming (the other being WoW vanilla).

It’s one of those « you had to be there » games,

Not if you were already gaming on PC. that was a console thing, mostly N64, and mostly in the US and UK.

yeah that's generally the opinion of those who were primarily in the PC ecosystem and not really touching consoles much if at all. Still for the time it was a good game even though it was lacking in some areas, and it was one of the best N64 games at the time, almost overtaking Mario and brought more older teens and adults to the N64, in the US and UK at least.

FeralEcho

I can't wait for this to release.I am really hyped for it,I never played it,but I've always been interested in it and i'm itching for another old school shooter like Perfect Dark.

I hope soon is this year and not first quarter of next year or some shit like that.

Couldn't think of anywhere else where I could post this... And not sure if it's been mentioned already... But this (month old) article on the making of Goldeneye is pretty cool.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...4-n64-goldeneye-007-rare-james-bond-making-of

Written by someone who's one of the very best in the business.
Wow. One guy got circa 0.00006% of 0.16cents per cart as his bonus. A fraction of what he would earn if paid the legal minimum wage for the overtime.... No wonder people left.

Top Bottom