• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is closing down its Stadia cloud streaming service.

Beechos

Despite its flaws, Wii U is pretty awesome as a homebrew machine and a Xenoblade X machine. I can't think of one redeeming quality about stadia.
I can. They had a huge fire sale last year for the stadia premier that included the stadia controller and a chromecast ultra for like $20 lol. So i guess a free chromecast ultra and a crappy useless controller.

Last edited:

Jaybe

RthuIyr.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Now we don't have to have the monthly "Stadia still exists!" threads.

chromhound

The comment was regarding potential acquisitions not seeing cloud gaming as a threat.
Google tried to buy Bethesda and Amazon bought Double Helix who made Killer Instinct. They don't want Google or Amazon to buy the studios that Microsoft could.
Phil always said that streaming is just a convenience that will never replace local hardware.
We dodged a bullet

Blade2.0

i used it a couple times for Destiny 2. it wasn't garbage, but I have a rig that makes Destiny 2 look better without the lag induced by it, so after the novelty of not needing an install, there was nothing for it. Plus, it should have been a Game Pass-like subscription service instead of paying for the games outright.

So many notifications. 😎
Gee, I wonder why.

Maybe it's because after you heard the word Stadia anywhere online, you created a thread saying, "I told you guys! Stadia is the future! Physical GAF living in the past! Stadia!!!"

You sounded like Charlie Sheen with your "winning" comments. You claimed more undeserved awards on Stadia's behalf and ignored anyone telling you the obvious truth that Stadia was failing since it launched.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Gee, I wonder why.

Maybe it's because after you heard the word Stadia anywhere online, you created a thread saying, "I told you guys! Stadia is the future! Physical GAF living in the past! Stadia!!!"

You sounded like Charlie Sheen with your "winning" comments. You claimed more undeserved awards on Stadia's behalf and ignored anyone telling you the obvious truth that Stadia was failing since it launched.
So serious... You've always been my favorite lol. 🥳

Iced Arcade

I mean it worked decent BUT they completely half assed it.

I got a free Stadia bundle from youtube premium so thanks for the chromecast ultra lol. wish I could do something with the controller.

op22

A shame. When it was first announced I thought the dream of never having to buy another console again and always playing on the highest possible settings had arrived. I was not looking forward to Google logging every single button press I made though, and if it got as popular as Netflix, they would have had to raise the price and lower the video quality to below VHS quality like Netflix did. I guess this is a good thing.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

The business model never made sense. Like people were seriously expected to buy full price games that they would only be able to stream? The only way Stadia had a chance of being successful was if it was a service similar to Game Pass.
I disagree, strongly.

Why would I want to pay forever for games that I don't want, when instead, I can simply pay once for the games that I actually do want?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If you are gonna unlimited funds a failure atleast go out with a bang.

All they had to do is actually make this damn hardware something people could go home with.
505c2929df43394adaf4b958895fb9dc.jpg

The device wouldnt even be underpowered even having launched a year earlier than the PS5/XSX.
But having a physical box and atleast a few moneyhatted exclusives they could have had their device in atleast some peoples homes.
The "Stadia" service could have been their Gamepass, but people still have a console to buy games on or just subscribe to the Service and get a curated bunch of games.....money hat the fuck out of the games you put there.

Making it streaming only.

FUCKED!
It may even had some advantages over ps5/XSX with it having more available ram.

Pejo

Damn, about time. My general life motto is "live and let live" but for some reason the very existence of this product after they botched it SO badly made me annoyed.

Sleeping easy tonight.

Topher

Gold Member
Ultimately Stadia failed because they were not creating just a service. They were creating an entirely new platform. Contrast that with Nvidia who built their service on top of an existing platform: PC. Google paid a truckload of money to get games on their platform but it was all just a waste.

The thread was locked but the bear of bad news predicted this would happen the day before disaster struck.

Never forget.

Psybear.jpg

You really bragging about that? People have been predicting this since the service launched. Your thread was just a matter of good timing.

Darsxx82

Fully unleashed to be the next Stadia. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How does one of the biggest players failing so miserably makes you more confident that betting big on cloud gaming is the right call?

Because the digital market growing rapidly ? Because are subscription services taking over in many entertainment markets ?
Because MS already has the infrastructure and does not depend on third parties?
Because the business model is totally different VS Stadia, with more sense and with a much greater catalog and support?

MS has a loyal user base on console (between the 55-86 million they achieved with XBO and X360 respectively). A larger potential user base as XCloud is already on more platforms and with more First, Second and Third party support than Stadia.

XCloud is a subscription model to access a diverse and renewing catalog. Stadia a traditional model of paying for each game individually but to play them in the cloud.
And finally, XCloud is not just game streaming, this is just an addition to Gamepass and playing physicaly on PCs and consoles.

I don't know if the XCloud-Gamepass business model will be a success or the opposite, but to assure and bet on its failure based on what we have seen with Stadia is..., sorry, simply absurd.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wait Stadia launched?

But seriously I think it was a year after it launched that I even knew it existed and I post regularly on a gaming forum and use multiple Google products. I don't know if streaming games is even viable, but it definitely isn't if you don't tell anyone about it.

Aenima

The moment Google Stadia anounced the way it was going to work. Its was the day i knew it wasent going to last long. The day they shut ddwn they own gaming studios was when they start building the coffin. It still lasted 1 more year than i initial predicted.

Rust in Pieces

Last edited:
Top Bottom