• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

ToadMan

Well it’s nearly here - Sucker Punch spent 6 years on this just about. Last Infamous content was 2014.

So far they’ve been solidly in the 8/10 range for their games. But this one will have taken them the longest to produce.... Infamous PS3 was 4 years in the making.

I think it’ll have to get into the 90s to be considered a success for the amount of time and effort it’s taken.

I really hope it gets there - I’m definitely keen on an “authentic” version of RDR. After all some of the greatest cowboy movies (and the inspiration for RDR) were copies of Kurosawa’s work.

If this game can bring a bit of RDR authenticity to a feudal Japan setting it could be awesome.

I’m hoping it will be a great outing.... I haven’t preordered yet but once I start to get a bit more information then I’ll decide whether to jump on it or not.

Looking at SPs wiki page though, while they took 4 years to get the first infamous out, follow ups took 2 or 3 years. So if GOT is successful we might be able to expect GOT 2 fairly soon...

GymWolf

I’m gonna fuck this game so hard.
You
2d0812_d55538c347f3490a89d147ab7bb88170~mv2.gif

The game
file.gif

You cleaning your dick at the end
480c93cd2fe2f06b18e4da0491df11ffbbded35f.gif

THEAP99

Banned
I think it’ll have to get into the 90s to be considered a success for the amount of time and effort it’s taken
Nah I doubt Sony themselves even expect that. If they do, then I fear for the future of Suckerpunch. Especially if this game lands in the 70s. But the embargo being 3 days before release is a decent sign I suppose

I predict 70's. The gaming press will find something to get upset about. Lack of representation, women behaving like women for the time period, strong male lead, etc. Hope I'm wrong, because these are dumb things to get hung up on.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Who the hell going in to this game expecting Sekiro!!? I LOOOVE Sekiro, but that game is much more fantasy with you fighting people who twice the size of you, giant apes, giant snake, headless monsters and big ass fire demon. I’m sorry if you are going in to this game expecting Sekiro then that’s solely your own fault, not the game.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Who the hell going in to this game expecting Sekiro!!? I LOOOVE Sekiro, but that game is much more fantasy with you fighting people who twice the size of you, giant apes, giant snake, headless monsters and big ass fire demon. I’m sorry if you are going in to this game expecting Sekiro then that’s solely your own fault, not the game.

I assume that they mean the swordplay and the way that the combat feels?

The type of enemies that you're fighting against doesn't necessarily have any impact on the way the sword feels in combat. There's no reason why GOT can't match or exceed how great the combat in Sekiro felt - fighting against human enemies doesn't impact that at all?

Danjin44

I assume that they mean the swordplay and the way that the combat feels?
Even then, combat in Sekiro designed around fighting unnatural enemies while Ghost of Tsushima’s combat designed around being more grounded. Sucker Punch is not trying make the game similar to Sekiro.

THEAP99

Banned
For combat I just hope it doesn’t feel weightless. I beat 2nd son two years ago and I just remember it feeling floaty and weightless

JimiNutz

Banned
Even then, combat in Sekiro designed around fighting unnatural enemies while Ghost of Tsushima’s combat designed around being more grounded. Sucker Punch is not trying make the game similar to Sekiro.

I know but you do also fight plenty of 'normal' human enemies in Sekiro. The combat doesn't suddenly feel different when you're fighting human enemies then it does when you're fighting fantasy enemies.

I appreciate that they are going for something different but the swordplay in Sekiro was outstanding and that's the feel Suckerpunch should be aiming for in my opinion.

To be honest the one thing I really want from Sekiro is the perfectly timed L1 presses to parry and I understand that the same feature is in GOT anyway so hopefully it feels as good in GOT as it did in Sekiro.

Danjin44

I appreciate that they are going for something different but the swordplay in Sekiro was outstanding and that's the feel Suckerpunch should be aiming for in my opinion.
Unless you know you can do combat better than Sekiro then don't bother, because whats gonna end up being is the crappy version of better game. So instead Sucker Punch made their own combat system, to me thats much smarter choice than trying to be Sekiro. I don't want that, I already played Sekiro and I LOVED it. I'm going in to Ghost of Tsushima for different experience.

Like I said if you are expecting Sekiro from this game then you are asking to get disappointed and thats gonna be your own fault, not the game.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Unless you know you can do combat better than Sekiro then don't bother, because whats gonna end up being is the crappy version of better game. So instead Sucker Punch made their own combat system, to me thats much smarter choice than trying to be Sekiro. I don't want that, I already played Sekiro and I LOVED it. I'm going in to Ghost of Tsushima for different experience.

Like I said if you are expecting Sekiro from this game then you are asking to get disappointed and thats gonna be your own fault, not the game.

Yeah I get what you're saying and I'm not expecting them to copy the exact same system from Sekiro.

I'm just hoping that it feels like the combat in Sekiro which felt fast and precise yet also measured and with some weight to it. I feel like it's fair to compare the feel of the combat to Sekiro as they are both Samurai action games. Comparison doesn't assume that they have to be identical. Two combat systems can be very different yet still share a common feel.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Lol no shit, the combat is gonna be vastly inferior to sekiro...on the next news you can estinguish fire with water...

I hope the plot is at least better.
Why would anyone compare anything to Sekiro? That's a borderline unreachable standard.
We don't compare every story to RDR2 either. That would be equally unrealistic.
I think the combat in GOT will be pretty good because every single other Sucker Punch game I played was responsive and satisfying.

GymWolf

Why would anyone compare anything to Sekiro? That's a borderline unreachable standard.
We don't compare every story to RDR2 either. That would be equally unrealistic.
I think the combat in GOT will be pretty good because every single other Sucker Punch game I played was responsive and satisfying.
I disagree about the story in rdr2 being a non-achievable standard tbh, it was arthur journey that make look the story better than it actually is with all that "we need just another job"bloated bullshit.

But i get what you say.

I have no high hopes for the combat from what i saw in the trailers but i'm happy to be disproved.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh so it’s not like souls? For some reason I had this idea it was a souls type game, and yeah, more like Sekiro. I haven’t kept up on this game as I wanted to go in fresh but to be fair, I’m not so sure right now.

GymWolf

Oh so it’s not like souls? For some reason I had this idea it was a souls type game, and yeah, more like Sekiro. I haven’t kept up on this game as I wanted to go in fresh but to be fair, I’m not so sure right now.
It's far from souls genre.

This is more ac samurai with hopefully better quality.

GymWolf

but it’s still difficult yeah? That’s what I wanted more than anything else, a nice challenge.
There is an hard mode but if it's like the hard mode in most of other sony games you are gonna destroy enemy camps with a fart after less than 20 hours and a couple of upgrades.

Not to be pessimistic, but this is how things usually goes with majority of AAA games and especially open world games.

Last edited:

FranXico

Not sure where you got that idea from. It always was more akin to an open world Assassin's Creed/Infamous mission structure hybrid than anything else. It was very transparent from that State of Play.
If you don't like the above influences, you will not enjoy this game for sure.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Not sure where you got that idea from. It always was more akin to an open world Assassin's Creed/Infamous mission structure hybrid than anything else. It was very transparent from that State of Play.
If you don't like the above influences, you will not enjoy this game for sure.

Both games I enjoy so, ok.

looks like I’m still picking it up 👍🏻

ToadMan

This dude blocked me earlier when I basically claimed he's attention-seeking and lying

I only saw the tweets you posted here - but in some it seems he's playing the game, but here it looks like he's getting info from someone else...

Anyway, as is usual with this stuff, it all really comes down to individual taste. I've played Sekiro and although it's great, I don't want another game like that right now.

I'm looking forward to a more credible set of opinions - never heard of this guy or gal before, so let's see if they're right when the rest of the reviewers weigh in.

ToadMan

Yeah I get what you're saying and I'm not expecting them to copy the exact same system from Sekiro.

I'm just hoping that it feels like the combat in Sekiro which felt fast and precise yet also measured and with some weight to it. I feel like it's fair to compare the feel of the combat to Sekiro as they are both Samurai action games. Comparison doesn't assume that they have to be identical. Two combat systems can be very different yet still share a common feel.

The difference with Sekiro is it wasn't "samurai cinema" (I don't know whether to call that realistic or not) even fighting humans. Huge leaps jumps and prosthetic tricks doesn't match the vision for GoT. I suspect SP have tried to go for more realism in the environment and the combat.

To me its like comparing Call of Juarez (sekiro) with RDR (GoT) in the sense that GoT seemed to be going for a more natural form of combat reflecting Samurai (Cowboy) movies.

From the combat trailers I watched GoT is a more straightforward open world combat game - it'll be driven by the axis of attack and how the player chooses to get where they're going more than the actual nature of the fighting. It has to because open worlds don't lend themselves to the more closed but scriptable environment of a game like Sekiro.

I already played Sekiro so I'd prefer something different to that in this game, but it would be wonderful if GoT can achieve the same quality.

Danjin44

The difference with Sekiro is it wasn't "samurai cinema" (I don't know whether to call that realistic or not) even fighting humans. Huge leaps jumps and prosthetic tricks doesn't match the vision for GoT. I suspect SP have tried to go for more realism in the environment and the combat.
Exactly! Sekiro's combat and movement is much more over the top compare to what Ghost of Tsushima is going for. Like I said in my post above, Sekiro's combat was design around fighting unnatural fighters and monsters while in GoT will be mostly fighting normal humans.

JimiNutz

Banned

To me its like comparing Call of Juarez (sekiro) with RDR (GoT) in the sense that GoT seemed to be going for a more natural form of combat reflecting Samurai (Cowboy) movies.

From the combat trailers I watched GoT is a more straightforward open world combat game - it'll be driven by the axis of attack and how the player chooses to get where they're going more than the actual nature of the fighting. It has to because open worlds don't lend themselves to the more closed but scriptable environment of a game like Sekiro.

I already played Sekiro so I'd prefer something different to that in this game, but it would be wonderful if GoT can achieve the same quality.

Yeah I understand these points.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I appreciate the differences between Sekiro and GOT and I don't want GOT to copy Sekiro's combat or anything like that.
I just loved the way that Sekiro combat felt and I hope that GOT combat feels like that and not 'floaty' or weak. The fights in Sekiro were intense and I'm just hoping that GOT feels similar even if the mechanics and move sets are very different.

ToadMan

Yeah I understand these points.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I appreciate the differences between Sekiro and GOT and I don't want GOT to copy Sekiro's combat or anything like that.
I just loved the way that Sekiro combat felt and I hope that GOT combat feels like that and not 'floaty' or weak. The fights in Sekiro were intense and I'm just hoping that GOT feels similar even if the mechanics and move sets are very different.

Yeah I get what you mean - there was a nice weight to Sekiro - but that's been the strength of all the Souls games. They all felt great to fight in - putting aside the sometimes janky animations. Having said that, I don't think any of the souls games felt good fighting multiple enemies - they always felt best one on one...

From that perspective sure - I hope GoT can offer combat that feels good and consistent with the game world.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/23/ghost-of-tsushima-mastering-the-katana/

The video is taken for the above link than has SP talking about how they designed combat.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah I get what you mean - there was a nice weight to Sekiro - but that's been the strength of all the Souls games. They all felt great to fight in - putting aside the sometimes janky animations. Having said that, I don't think any of the souls games felt good fighting multiple enemies - they always felt best one on one...

From that perspective sure - I hope GoT can offer combat that feels good and consistent with the game world.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/23/ghost-of-tsushima-mastering-the-katana/

The video is taken for the above link than has SP talking about how they designed combat.

Yeah, I read the link where SP talked about their approach to combat and it sounded awesome to me.

I remember them saying that they really want the Katana to be a deadly weapon and kill in only a few hits and have that same logic apply to you as a player as well in the sense that it can only take a few hits to kill you.

I also really liked how they talked about the end battle from the 13 Assassin's remake being a bug influence because that movie was awesome! I'm definitely optimistic that the combat is gonna be good/feel good in GOT

JimiNutz

Banned
Driving in GT Sport is much worse than Burnout.

And then we can stop comparing apples to oranges.

Erm... Why not?
I generally prefer oranges to apples. I prefer how juicy an orange is and can find some apples a bit sour. Both are delicious fruits though.

This idea that you can't compare two similar things is ridiculously lol

JimiNutz

Banned

Yes!

Conclusions
Not only was this comparison easy to make, but it is apparent from the figure that apples and oranges are very similar. Thus, it would appear that the comparing apples and oranges defense should no longer be considered valid. This is a somewhat startling revelation. It can be anticipated to have a dramatic effect on the strategies used in arguments and discussions in the future.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Atlus rarely does simple re-release, they will always add new contents in to it. This was even true with Nocturne, we just never got the original release in west.
They used to give us dlc or severely reduced prices for re-releases.

maI3FAu.jpg

THEAP99

Banned
So where are all those leaked gameplay clips or impressions for #GhostofTsushima ? It’s July 3rd and all we have is an impression or two and a bunch of low quality leaked screenshots!! Come on!

iorek21

This dude blocked me earlier when I basically claimed he's attention-seeking and lying

Sekiro’s combat is closer to a rhythm game than anything else, so I never really expected GoT to be similar to it.

As for storytelling, wtf?? From Software’s stories were always obscure shit that required lots of item descriptor reading to make sense! So... I guess GoT not following it is a good thing?!

Top Bottom