• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

HotPocket69

Banned
People complaining now that Ghost isn't trying to be another souls clone? Jebus fuck.

Sucker Punch has already basically said that this is Ass Creed Japan more or less. Look at the map layout with the question marks and shit. It’s a high quality Ubi like PS exclusive open world through and through just like Horizon and Days Gone. Hopefully none of you dumbasses are expecting From-like combat 🤣

THEAP99

Banned
Sucker Punch has already basically said that this is Ass Creed Japan more or less. Look at the map layout with the question marks and shit. It’s a high quality Ubi like PS exclusive open world through and through just like Horizon and Days Gone. Hopefully none of you dumbasses are expecting From-like combat 🤣
I wouldn’t say days gone was high quality lol. I don’t think this game will be as good as horizon either.

VN1X

Banned
For my birthday later this month I already know I'm either getting this as a gift or that new Paper Mario game. Not sure which I would prefer but yeah... that's my post.

Like, comment, favourite and subscribe for more riveting content. Drift0r out.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Erm... Why not?
I generally prefer oranges to apples. I prefer how juicy an orange is and can find some apples a bit sour. Both are delicious fruits though.

This idea that you can't compare two similar things is ridiculously lol

How is ghost of Tsushima similar to sekiro apart from having samurai?

Spokker

I think what I'm most interested in is the game world. Maybe it's just me getting older, but when I play these games with large worlds I end up being more interested in exploring and taking it all in than actually playing the missions and grinding out side quests.

It's sort of a been there, done that type of feeling. Gameplay hasn't been innovating as fast as the production values and atmosphere. I almost see these open worlds as I do a theme park, admiring the craftmanship and construction of the world more than the slight variations on missions I've done a million times before in other games.

The game world in Tsushima looks really dynamic with the wind, grass, smoke and leaves. I can't wait to explore it.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I quite enjoyed this video

It’s not a dry analysis - it’s quite a good fly through.

TLDW - guy is excited to play the game and says the combat looks good. Questions why they chose the period they chose and the mongols given that the clothing doesn’t match the period.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Questions why they chose the period they chose and the mongols given that the clothing doesn’t match the period.
I think they were going for old Kurosawa’s samurai movie aesthetics but with Tsushima setting.

It’s like how Sekiro takes place in sengoku period but the actual story completely fictional.

ToadMan

I think they were going for old Kurosawa’s samurai movie aesthetics but with Tsushima setting.

It’s like how Sekiro takes place in sengoku period but the actual story completely fictional.

Yeah could be - personally I’m ok with that as someone who doesn’t know a lot about Japanese history...

I actually wondered if they just figured the mongols were “bad guys” so it’s easier to tell the story without having to worry about historical rights and wrongs or offending anyone.

Tsukumo

Yeah could be - personally I’m ok with that as someone who doesn’t know a lot about Japanese history...

I actually wondered if they just figured the mongols were “bad guys” so it’s easier to tell the story without having to worry about historical rights and wrongs or offending anyone.

Well, Mongols actually never invaded Japan. They did try, but failed miserably.
Japanese on the other hand, occupied Manchuria in the late 19th and did horrible things there. Choosing Mongols as bad guys was a pretty big wrong call.

Japanese on the other hand, occupied Manchuria in the late 19th and did horrible things there. Choosing Mongols as bad guys was a pretty big wrong call.

they are not making a game in the 19th century. For the time period it makes total sense. Mongolians were the bad guys in this case no doubt about it. They only failed because of Kamikaze.

ToadMan

If you go take a look at the YouTube vid I posted above - in 1274 the Mongols did indeed land in Tsushima and apparently again in 1281. According to that guy, 1281 was the largest amphibious landing until WW2...

For the purposes of the game I suppose the period of occupation isn't critical because GoT will play out as the story of kicking the mongols off the island again.

I quite enjoyed this video

It’s not a dry analysis - it’s quite a good fly through.

TLDW - guy is excited to play the game and says the combat looks good. Questions why they chose the period they chose and the mongols given that the clothing doesn’t match the period.

Yeah really liked this video.

I wrote in a comment there too, the reason is it's a story of Samurai going out of a way of its 'honorable' ways or teachings that are mostly assigned to them by others and much later on, so that he can defeat his opponents. The story of the game is probably gonna make you ask ourselves 'yeah but at what cost?'

This is interesting because although it was much more personal, this game has thematic similarities with TLoU II on that note. Like Jin will probably lose his family and it is also a quest for revenge not just simply thwarting occupiers but killing or making them pay.

tenor.gif

The Alien

Banned
At first when OP said GOT, i asked myself what Game of Thrones game is coming out.

Lol.

Anyway, Ghost of T looks pretty good.
Interested on how it pans out as I have concerns it could be another "long grass stealth fest" but the rest of what I've seen looks great.

THEAP99

Banned
My main worry with this game is the quests. Both main & side quests. Quests can make or break this game, & they have not shown any full interesting quests yet outside of these generic open-world things. No hands-on official previews either to discuss how things are.

EcMEerbXkAA4OWH

EcMEc6GXgAIRbwV

EcME1xIXYAE6_wV

We will wait and see what happens I suppose. I hope and want them to deliver. But keeping things fresh and unique with an interesting story and quests is important. Not long till we find out how it all pans out!

JimiNutz

Banned
How is ghost of Tsushima similar to sekiro apart from having samurai?

If you go back and read the posts the comparison was being made specifically in regards to the feel of the combat. So yes, the fact that both games feature third person Samurai action gameplay, where you primarily use a Katana, is clearly relevant to any comparison.

To say that you hope that one Samurai action game has similar feeling combat to another Samurai game (a game whose combat is arguably best in its class) is not really controversial, outrageous or unfair.

To get back on topic. The same account that made those tweets has also released this video and the combat sounds and looks awesome to me.

I've actually done this as well!
I was in the store a few weeks ago and saw a bottle of Suntory Roku Gin that I thought looked cool. I bought it for GOT as I thought it would be funny to drink Japanese Gin while playing GOT as a Japanese man named Jin lol

The Suntory Gin ended up being absolutely delicious and I drank the whole bottle so I went to Amazon to order more and came across 'The Suntory Trilogy' which I of course ordered.

XjfZbWK.jpg

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
If you go back and read the posts the comparison was being made specifically in regards to the feel of the combat. So yes, the fact that both games feature third person Samurai action gameplay, where you primarily use a Katana, is clearly relevant to any comparison.

To say that you hope that one Samurai action game has similar feeling combat to another Samurai game (a game whose combat is arguably best in its class) is not really controversial, outrageous or unfair.

To get back on topic. The same account that made those tweets has also released this video and the combat sounds and looks awesome to me.

I watched that video and the way I see it every single thing he said we knew already by piecing together various info on the game. Meanwhile he presents this as exclusive info from early review copies.
And that's after he was shitting up twitter with contradicting info. I think he's an annoying attention whore at this point lmao.

JimiNutz

Banned
I watched that video and the way I see it every single thing he said we knew already by piecing together various info on the game. Meanwhile he presents this as exclusive info from early review copies.
And that's after he was shitting up twitter with contradicting info. I think he's an annoying attention whore at this point lmao.

Yeah that's fair.
At least the combat sounds/looks really good in the video.

THEAP99

Banned
He is. He doesn't have or know shit.

JimiNutz

Banned
That's a big patch for sure.

If I pre-order and then preload the digital version does it download the patch in the background as well or do you have to try and start the game to prompt the day one patch?

Top Bottom