• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sygma Sygma Just answer the simple question, do you have the early copy of the game or not?

Game has really fucking cool sidequests and unique gameplay elements btw, they absolutely held back on showing it

The way you describing the game as if you already have the game and currently playing it.

REE Machine

Banned
That’s the thing. I don’t like how ghost of Tsushima barely animates anything.

like there’s no legit movement whatsoever when you pick something up. Some may say it’s because “they want everything to be quick” but like, it just seems like laziness to me.

these type of things are what separate great developers from good developers. Not like it will make or break the game or anything, but still you know what I mean.

also the way enemies fly back when hit with a bow. Not a deal breaker, but still hilarious and dumb. Once again separating great from good.
After playing red dead 2 which went over board with slow pick up animations this is a breath of fresh air after that trash

also thats only the long bow because its more powerful, from other previews a regular bow would cause the enemy to potato naturally and not fly back

Arkam

Me right now:
iu

ShillUp (the guy everyone hates because of his TLOU2 review) seems to like the game as well. While they (he and his brother are playing it) can't talk about it because of the embargo, he seems enthusiastic. At least that's how I understand it, knowing how he usually reacts to games he likes and dislikes.

@2:54
"I've been playing nothing but Ghost of Tsushima this week, which has been crazy..." his brother chimes in with a "yup".

It would be funny if press is going to "hate" this game (low 70 MC), but Youtubers/Streamers are loving it. Like the reverse of TLOU2.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
It would be funny if press is going to "hate" this game (low 70 MC), but Youtubers/Streamers are loving it. Like the reverse of TLOU2.
skillup also really enjoyed days gone so i wouldn't be surprised if he liked this.

what's going to be funny and embarrassing is how people are gonna champion ghost reviews from YouTubers against its lower critic score than tlou2 got.

Good thing I have PlayStation

THEAP99

Banned
My buddy knows someone who is playing the game, also provided me with proof of course.
This is what the journalist said:

"The main story sucks. The side quests are actually interesting.
But the main story at least gets pretty good toward the end. It gets hype once you become
more of "the ghost"

But I rushed through the main and I gotta tell ya, I spent the last two days doing nothing but free roam quests and it's been fun.

It feels like an open-world character action game.

The stealth is ok too. Once you level up your stuff you feel like a ninja. And the final outfit you unlock is fucking sick.

Eventually, you do feel like a terrorizing samurai.
It's fun to dive into a battle and kill a few and watch everyone around you freak out.
Feels more real than Shadow of Mordor did.

Once you hit that one part that hits that the game gets better."

My buddy asks: "How is the polish?"

"Everything about the environment and wind is amazing.
You can tell where they cut back though. Water. Reflections all take a hit.
Definitely not as polished as, let's say TLOU2.

There's an invisible lock on that will piss people off.

It mostly works but if you're trying to get at a specific enemy it's going to be rough

Like when there are hostages and they're about to kill them, but you're still locked on to some scrub.

Just rubbing my ass against the hostage-taker hoping the lock on will change.

Overall 8/10."

I’m hyped for the game hoping it delivers. Ass creed wishes to have something like this.

btw how much length is a good length for this game in your opinion guys?

<30 or >30?

Sygma

Sygma Sygma Just answer the simple question, do you have the early copy of the game or not?

The way you describing the game as if you already have the game and currently playing it.

I don't know then take a hint. Couple of weeks back I've also said I could give huge pointers as to what Gods & Monsters is after it got leaked on stadia

Last edited:
The game shows male butts. It’s a no from me dawg

I’m sick and tired of the sexist game devs. What’s the point in it beside fan service. It’s also not in character.
Samurais lived and died in their armor.
Why are they always sexualizing characters Smh
Hope it gets censored just like DMC5

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The game shows male butts. It’s a no from me dawg

I’m sick and tired of the sexist game devs. What’s the point in it beside fan service. It’s also not in character.
Samurais lived and died in their armor.
Why are they always sexualizing characters Smh
Hope it gets censored just like DMC5
tNZ.gif

THEAP99

Banned
My buddy knows someone who is playing the game, also provided me with proof of course.

But the main story at least gets pretty good toward the end. It gets hype once you become
more of "the ghost"

But I rushed through the main and I gotta tell ya, I spent the last two days doing nothing but free roam quests and it's been fun.

The stealth is ok too. Once you level up your stuff you feel like a ninja. And the final outfit you unlock is fucking sick.

It's fun to dive into a battle and kill a few and watch everyone around you freak out.

It mostly works but if you're trying to get at a specific enemy it's going to be rough

Like when there are hostages and they're about to kill them, but you're still locked on to some scrub.

Overall 8/10."
When my friend asked what the journalist thinks the Metacritic critic average will be, the journalist says "i think 82-85 range. Everyone's gonna feel comfortable giving it an 8 at most."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

more of "the ghost"

Overall 8/10."
When he mentions the outfit, is that one they’ve shown already? I wonder.

The plot doesn’t concern me too much. I can only imagine a mixed reaction, especially if it’s a tale about vengeance. That could also be culture shock too.

Last edited:
?
What's wrong with the combat?
IDK man. The stand off kills look really cool and badass, but when he blocked those arrows it didn't look so hot. Some of the open combat had a little bit of jank to them. Granted this could all be because it was an old build, but i'm just saying that i have have reservations.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do you have your brain wired on jealousy by default and if so why should I give a fuck about it? GymWolf GymWolf well you gotta understand that these animations are meant to embrace the kind of aesthetic present in classic samurai movies, theres defo some brutal results that you can expect
Oh fuck me i hate this shit, seeing the same 4-5 death animations (if we are lucky) for hundred or possibly thousand of slayed enemies...

So let me guess, when you strike an enemy locked in a death animation you just swing and your blade pass throught the enemy without any reaction from him like in the ps1 era, ugh i don't know why sucker punch hate ragdoll so much in their games.

Thanks for the answer dude.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Thanks for answering our questions Sygma Sygma

How about the dismemberment and decapitations - can you target specific limbs, do certain moves/finishers always result in decapitation, or is it just completely random?

CrysisFreak

Banned
Thanks for answering our questions Sygma Sygma

How about the dismemberment and decapitations - can you target specific limbs, do certain moves/finishers always result in decapitation, or is it just completely random?
You can not target specific limbs like in the Surge, but there is dismemberment of various parts. Imagine like the Witcher except it happens more often and doesn't take you out of the action that much.
That's something we already know I think. I'm 100% sure about the first part.

JimiNutz

Banned
You can not target specific limbs like in the Surge, but there is dismemberment of various parts. Imagine like the Witcher except it happens more often and doesn't take you out of the action that much.
That's something we already know I think. I'm 100% sure about the first part.

Ah cool.
I knew there was dismemberment I just didn't know exactly how it worked.

Like say there was a particular enemy type that I disliked I was wondering whether I could use a certain move to end the fight/duel that would definitely result in decapitation - like a decapitation finisher :messenger_beaming:

Sygma

Oh fuck me i hate this shit, seeing the same 4-5 death animations (if we are lucky) for hundred or possibly thousand of slayed enemies...

So let me guess, when you strike an enemy locked in a death animation you just swing and your blade pass throught the enemy without any reaction from him like in the ps1 era, ugh i don't know why sucker punch hate ragdoll so much in their games.

Thanks for the answer dude.

Nah its not like that but you wont cut them into pieces of meat if that makes sense

Also regarding the dismemberment question, there are some reliable outcomes you can get by using certain stances

CrysisFreak

Banned
Nah its not like that but you wont cut them into pieces of meat if that makes sense

Also regarding the dismemberment question, there are some reliable outcomes you can get by using certain stances
How is climbing? I assume you can scale some buildings.

Last edited:
I bought TLOU2 mainly to bridge the gap until Ghost comes out.
Problem is I finished it within 2 days because it was so much fun. So that plan didn't work out at all.
Yeah I got the Platinum in less than a week ☹
I think that wasn't due to how easy getting the plat is (yeah it is kinda) but rather the game play mechanics were all top notch and really gives you option to tackle each encounter, so that in the end playing it was really rewarding and enjoyable. A game that plays like that comes very rarely in each generation and this was one of the latest swan songs.

Now if GoT is like that too, boy oh boy, can't really tell what xbox fans will use to attack it now. I mean TLOU2 is decisive and all but what will be their reaction to GoT if it also plays great?

Come to think of it, Days Gone is another joy ride to play and a game that kept on giving and giving, not short but maybe excessively long too and gamers and streamers loved it, but the reviews were bad so the fanatics on the other side could attack that game too just cause it reviewed badly.... lets see if GoT reviews great and gets critical acclaim all around and has a safer story that doesn't trigger people and what will they attack it with then?

THEAP99

Banned
Asked some rando foreign dude on Instagram with the game what he thinks. He says 9/10.

does not seem like ghost of tsushima will be a days gone situation

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Asked some rando foreign dude on Instagram with the game what he thinks. He says 9/10.

does not seem like ghost of tsushima will be a days gone situation
Does not seem like it will be a days gone situation if anyone had those thoughts or worries. Probably between 2nd Son/Death Stranding and Spider-Man PS4 most likely for reviews!

WellSheet

My biggest hope is the game truly attempts to find a balance between the expected/over-relied gameplay designs we all seem to tire of (the Ubisoft checklist critique) and something a little more curated...I’m asking a lot, yes I know. But a man can dream!

Top Bottom