• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

replicant-

I wonder why Sony decided on a tighter embargo. TLOU2 lifted a week before relesse.

I don't think the change is a reflection on Tsushima's quality.

gow3isben

So looks like this is another Horizon Zero Dawn/Spider Man PS4 level game. Not slightly underwhelming (but still great) like Days Gone, and not Game of the Generation tier like God of War/Last of Us 2. Just a rock solid, extremely polished open world that differentiates itself by good acting/campaign, graphics, and for more maneageable Ubisoft Open world mechanics. Except this time round by look of previews, side quests may be best in class. Expecting between 85-90.

WellSheet

I wonder why Sony decided on a tighter embargo. TLOU2 lifted a week before relesse.

I don't think the change is a reflection on Tsushima's quality.

it is weird though....it’s strange they’ve kept the game’s coverage so minimal. From all the small tidbits we’re hearing it sounds really good! Maybe this is some reverse-psychology hype building...

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So looks like this is another Horizon Zero Dawn/Spider Man PS4 level game. Not slightly underwhelming (but still great) like Days Gone, and not Game of the Generation tier like God of War/Last of Us 2. Just a rock solid, extremely polished open world that differentiates itself by good acting/campaign, graphics, and for more maneageable Ubisoft Open world mechanics. Except this time round by look of previews, side quests may be best in class. Expecting between 85-90.
This is what I'm expecting. I think I will like it more than the 1st Horizon and God of War 2018 though due to my personal tastes

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
it is weird though....it’s strange they’ve kept the game’s coverage so minimal. From all the small tidbits we’re hearing it sounds really good! Maybe this is some reverse-psychology hype building...
I kinda get that vibe too. It's almost like they're being extra secretive and then when people play the game they'll be surprised and even more impressed. I could be totally wrong though

WellSheet

I kinda get that vibe too. It's almost like they're being extra secretive and then when people play the game they'll be surprised and even more impressed. I could be totally wrong though

indeed!

I think Sony certainly wasn’t planning to have TLOU2 and GOT this close together - TLOU2 was originally February- so
I’m sure GOT would have had a better preview cycle....obviously Covid messed with that too...but, you would think if they sent out review codes to people starting at the END of June they would have done Something similar like to how they did TLOU2; send out review codes weeks in advance and give the press/influencers/etc a preview embargo (a week ahead) and then reviews drop a week later...

again...I don’t think Sony planned to have these two games butt up against each other, and maybe I’m reading the hype wrong, but I feel they are overall HURTING GOT with their methods here...I hope I’m wrong...a little mystery can go a LOOONG way in building people up. I just feel like there’s a lot more tht should be known by now and we’re t-minus 8 days out. Strange.

THEAP99

Banned
i played a little bit of Shadow of the colossus a couple hours ago, and i think we'll see a lot of comparisons with that and ghost in the upcoming reviews. just due how majestic and grand it is when u travel on horseback to an objective. i can tell suckerpunch are going for that vibe.

CrysisFreak

Banned
i played a little bit of Shadow of the colossus a couple hours ago, and i think we'll see a lot of comparisons with that and ghost in the upcoming reviews. just due how majestic and grand it is when u travel on horseback to an objective. i can tell suckerpunch are going for that vibe.
I hope you can jump of your horse and land with your katana in a fucking skull tbh.
Seriously the game looks so majestic.

ToadMan

I hope you can jump of your horse and land with your katana in a fucking skull tbh.
Seriously the game looks so majestic.

Hmmmm that’s a good point - will there be any mounted combat?

I haven’t seen anything like that shown yet...

I don’t think jumping from the horse will be there - it’s not really in keeping with the samurai cinema style, but it may well be possible to charge/attack from a mounted position and be attacked too.

XjKU8I4.jpg

At least she died happy.

giphy.gif

P.S Just making a comment on that last picture. It's not a spoiler.

Last edited:
Just placed an order on this game, if it reviews poorly I’ll just cancel it.

It’s a very slow month for me right now and kinda want something else than MW multiplayer to get me through.

GreyHorace

I'd like to ask the GAFFER's here who've played the game a question. If you can't answer it because of some NDA then I'll understand. But I'd really like to know...

Does Ghost of Tsushima have better combat than The Witcher 3?

I see all the early reviews saying Ghost has great sidequests much like TW3. And that to me is great, but I'd really like to know if the combat is better.

I love The Witcher 3 don't get me wrong, but I always felt it's combat wasn't as good as it could have been. It's not awful as many people state (I found it servicable), but after playing games like Sekiro I don't think I could stand another hohum combat system in a massive open world game.

THEAP99

Banned

I AM DYING OF HYPE. IT IS TOO MUCH. AAAARGH
I have a strong feeling ghost is going to be one of those games where it’s all about the world and smaller stories within it, but the main story will be underwhelming or just won’t do much. I’m going to update my my metacritic prediction to an 84. I’m very excited

GymWolf

Half of the people on gaming forums are not completely on board with what we saw for the combat, mostly because they didn't really showed much about it.

Same for the assassins creed mission structure, that enemy base that jin destroy in the state of play was pretty mediocre\by the numbers.

Maybe they fear people not getting exited for yet another free flow batman type of combat or more polished ac type of game.

If we consider that ac odissey sold like 10 millions copies their fear is pretty silly, the masses don't give a fuck about ubisoft collecathlon or deep as a puddle combat system, probably the opposite.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'd like to ask the GAFFER's here who've played the game a question. If you can't answer it because of some NDA then I'll understand. But I'd really like to know...

Does Ghost of Tsushima have better combat than The Witcher 3?

I see all the early reviews saying Ghost has great sidequests much like TW3. And that to me is great, but I'd really like to know if the combat is better.

I love The Witcher 3 don't get me wrong, but I always felt it's combat wasn't as good as it could have been. It's not awful as many people state (I found it servicable), but after playing games like Sekiro I don't think I could stand another hohum combat system in a massive open world game.
I didn't played the game but it's pretty hard to have a worst combat system than W3.

But it's not gonna be close to sekiro level.

If i have to guess it's gonna be something similar to batman combat with some instakill counter ala AC and some not overly complicated stances mechanic.

Think about mordor game but probably slightly better.

Last edited:

WellSheet

Half of the people on gaming forums are not completely on board with what we saw for the combat, mostly because they didn't really showed much about it.

Same for the assassins creed mission structure, that enemy base that jin destroy in the state of play was pretty mediocre\by the numbers.

Maybe they fear people not getting exited for yet another free flow batman type of combat or more polished ac type of game.

If we consider that ac odissey sold like 10 millions copies their fear is pretty silly, the masses don't give a fuck about ubisoft collecathlon or deep as a puddle combat system, probably the opposite.

Agreed! You make good points.

I was also thinking....if one was to argue that promoting GOT would have had an adverse affect on TLOU’s sales....I can’t see that being the case. You would think that Sony would have pushed EXTRA on GOT with everything that’s happened.

THEAP99

Banned
I have to say, the marketing for this game is so poor.

These blog posts are really dumb, they should be videos similar to TLOU2's Inside Series

SinDelta

I think this looks like the best looking open world since Breath of the Wild and Assassins Creed Origins.

Baring Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited:
Top Bottom