• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights rated for Nintendo Switch

Draugoth

Gold Member
At the end of last year we had the launch of Gotham Knights, the newest title from WB Games Montréal. Unfortunately, the game ended up having a very negative reception from both critics and players.

Now it appears the game is coming to new platforms. Recently, Singapore's official classification body registered a Nintendo Switch version of the game Gotham Knights.

096052.png

When ratings like this are made, it means an announcement may be close to being made. Because it was made by an official government body, it is very likely that it is real.

If a Nintendo Switch version is indeed about to be released, it would be a somewhat curious development, considering that Gotham Knights ended up being canceled on PS4 and Xbox One so that the studio could deliver the best possible experience on the current generation.

Woopah

Now that Bethesda/ABK are owned my MS, it looks like WB are becoming the best Western publisher for Switch (and probably Switch 2).

Beechos

What a trash game. Don't torture switch owners. I really can't understand how this game was in development for such a long time. This game looks and feels like it was made for a cell phone. Everything looks the same. Same 4 enemies the entire game just with different skins to identify the factions they belong to. Boring copy and past world devoid of life. Same 5 missions over and over again. It's like a super simple stripped down version of arkham.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

While I'm sure there's are at least...a few Switch owners who would be happy to get this, I would think anyone who really wanted to play Gotham Knights would have done so already on other platforms.

As for the game itself, it seems like Gotham Knights has almost never really shown itself well in any footage, has it? Even from the onset, something just seemed  off about it.

CamHostage

If a Nintendo Switch version is indeed about to be released, it would be a somewhat curious development, considering that Gotham Knights ended up being canceled on PS4 and Xbox One so that the studio could deliver the best possible experience on the current generation.

I know they spun it in a way that hinted at great things tech-wise ton the general public, but the "best possible experience" on a gen of platforms doesn't necessarily mean kick-ass next-gen tech. It has a lot to do with ongoing product support and stability. Launching without the older platforms allows extra content to release quicker, and for issues to be addressed faster. (It should have also led to at least a stability of performance, although they locked it to just 30 and still needed to put out a framerate patch, so no gains there.) If a game were cross-play, that platform range would be an even further issue for lifetime support of DLC and patches... Gotham Knights isn't cross-play though, so again, no real difference there. The thing is, those older hardware platforms aren't selling games as much as they used to (we've seen reports of 70/30% sales in favor of PS5/XBSeries versions in even launch-period games, and that 30% is likely dwindling,) and at some point, the time and resources and quality work needed to produce product (particularly online games) isn't worth it anymore. Developers could make a game/GAAS better by focusing on current-gen platforms, even if the tech used ultimately could be ported down to past-gen functionally well. Whether the Gotham Knights project actually did benefit is another matter.

The Switch changes the formula. Switch owners are plentiful, and they buy games. It's often worth producing games for this platform, even if the tech originally made for the title is challengingly outside of its capabilities. (And given that Gotham Knights isn't cross-play, the modification work needed to get it to come down is a lot more doable since it doesn't have to correlate with other running versions.)

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I wonder if they'll use this a relaunch of sorts and release a 60fps patch at the same time. Maybe a Game Pass/PS Plus release at the same time would help as well.

tkscz

Seeing a lot of people assume it's a Cloud version, but Arkham Knight is coming to Switch next month, has that been confirmed to be a Cloud version?

Also, why even port this game to anything? It was a failed GAAS if I recall correctly.

Sojiro

Oh lucky us switch owners! Lol. I guess I can't blame WBs for trying, considering the switches userbase size, but I honestly hope no one buys this GaaS piece of garbage on the switch either.

Top Bottom