• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7’s microtransactions are live, and GT Sports’ $5 cars now cost $40

That is indeed a good move for the overall economy... so players will rely more in ingame earn than MTX.
You need therapy, I weep for you.
weep bbc GIF

AllyITA

Gran turismo everything is free.
Your time grinding for the credit is not.
maybe you enjoy it and that is the point of a videogame, so it's ok; but for some other pople it's not.

in any case, this kind of microtransactions are cancer; in the good old days you could press a "konami code" or insert a password to get free credit. that was ACTUALLY free

SLB1904

Banned
maybe you enjoy it and that is the point of a videogame, so it's ok; but for some other pople it's not.

in any case, this kind of microtransactions are cancer; in the good old days you could press a "konami code" or insert a password to get free credit. that was ACTUALLY free
lmfao

you don't grind in gran Turismo, you play as your earn. if you had to do the same mission over and over to get credits you might have a point. but it doesnt happen

I really don’t buy the idea that they increased the prices to discourage people from buying MTX. Most likely they realized that people who buy those MTXs buy on impulse and are not price-sensitive so it’s worth having fewer players buying if each buyer spends more.

Also using credits instead of a price in real money is a known technique used in mobile / F2P games to make it more complicated to calculate the actual costs.

And whichever way you see it it’s a bit dodgy to add it once reviews are out.
Is it? It would be dodgy if they had change the internal economy of the game, but the grind is the same that the reviewer had played. If the progression was deemed satisfactory when you had no possibility to buy your way up, why the reviewer would mind if now you can also buy progress paying a ridicule high price for it?

That's kind of a price hike... :messenger_hushed: that has to be a mistake, right?

At least now if you see someone in that car online, you'll know... they mtx that shit. Honestly, doesn't bother me as I don't play GT games. But I could see you being angry if you were planning on dropping some $ on mtx, cause lets be honest here... a good % of gamers use mtx. Don't be ashamed of it, that new in-game outfit looks great on you :messenger_winking:

That is appalling, there's no shame in Kaz's game.

I feel sorry for anyone paying $40 for a car no matter how much money they have, it's just utterly shameless exploitation from Sony/PD, you can see some poor kids will get rinsed with the parent not sure too sure what they're buying. I was a huge fan of GT since the beginning, I'd never thought Kaz would have something so exploitative in his game.

This kind of thing makes me question whether I should get a PS5 and GT7 in the future.

Last edited:

AllyITA

lmfao

you don't grind in gran Turismo, you play as your earn. if you had to do the same mission over and over to get credits you might have a point. but it doesnt happen
it depends what you like out of a racing game.
if you enjoy the "journey" from little car to real racing cars then yes, you are right.

if you like racing a certain thing (GT3 or LMP1 for exhample), then it is annoying grinding untill you can unlock it. but this has always been the case with GT games.

soulbait

Note: This statement is only under the assumption they did not lower the amount of credits earned to push towards people buying credits. It is hard however to not think that when you can buy the same currency that you earn within game using real money.

My only idea on why they might have thought this was a good idea is this: they didn't really think people will pay the full expensive price for these cars. The more expensive cars are supposed to be purchased/earned the more you play. So my assumption is to keep that standard progression, while still allowing customers to "cheat" by paying for credits, would to use this system. In other words, not expecting someone with 0 credits to purchase $40 worth of credits to get the car they want, but for someone who already has like 75-95% of the credits needed, and then pay the $5 to get the rest.

I still think it is a bad system, but you could see why they ignorantly thought this could work. I always feel that if they want to add in a payment system in a game, it should be for a currency you cannot earn within game. So you now have two ways of getting the items in game, either through in game currency earned, or through this other currency. And then you can make it simple like this:
1 - game currency = $1.
Cars come in 5 tiers, costing 1-5 game currencies. Cheapest cars $1, most expensive $5.
You could even have restrictions on when the cars can be used within events, still requiring some progression.

At the end of the day though, I never buy this crap anyways.

SLB1904

Banned
if you like racing a certain thing (GT3 or LMP1 for exhample), then it is annoying grinding untill you can unlock it. but this has always been the case with GT games.
exactly. at least you have an option to pay for it. also gran Turismo has roulette, you get free car or credits by just racing for a few miles every day. i got the lewis hamilton f1 car in gt sport by doing daily workout it costs 20mil credits.
if every game had the same monetasation as gran turismo no one would need to pay for season passes.

how much money do people spend on fortnite by now?

Unknown?

Really? That's not what the article says

Aston Martin Vulcan ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,300,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
Audi R18 TDI ’11 ($2.99 in GT Sport) – 3,000,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
That's got to be a mistake in pricing? A 3M credit car for $40? It would take barely any playing time to get that 3M. Literally no one would do that unless they don't like games?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Considering that you always had to grind to get cars in GT games, then I don't see this as a problem because it appears you earn a reasonable amount of credits throughout the game.

Of course a certain group of people will have a fake outrage over nothing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, the issue is that Sony are being unbearably greedy cunts and the usual "Sony defense force" retards are coming out and saying "it's not that bad". In my case, it's basically a non-issue - the moment I heard "always online" about this game I noped out and I won't be buying it anyway - which is a pity, since I was always a big GT fan and considered GTS to be a huge lurch in the wrong direction. I was kind of hoping GT7 would be a return to form, but it seems it's more of the same shit.
Oh it's definitely a return to form.
You're missing out.
Now I understand the other poster said it's "not that bad"
That is not my position because there is nothing to call "not that bad"
it's apples and oranges comparison.
There has always been car's in that price range in GT and the only solution to your problems would be to reduce all cars because you don't want to earn the money and rather pay for it.
That is exactly what you're asking for.

What is worse is that Sony has acquired Bungie the creators of Destiny 2. You know that game that you buy yearly "expansions" and pay for "seasons" and has mtx on top of requiring you to grind to get weapons and different weapon rolls all at the same time sunsetting content and weapons that you spent time and money to get. Yup, the future is bright now that Sony has acquired them. It'll probably get worse or maybe they'll learn from Bungie how to spread this shit to their other titles as well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Moaning about microtransactions but actually want to use them as you don't want to play the game normally because
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Fox Mulder

Incredibly disappointing. Bet the single player will be a complete grind fest now. Why do this when the market leader has zero mtx???

It already was a grind fest on GT Sport. I played for hundreds of hours and still never afforded all the cars, some cost 20 million credits or whatever.

I wasn’t even close to max level for the platinum trophy either, which 0.1% of players got. Super GT had to make a video doing nothing but maximum grinding for like 8 hours to finish that.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Oh it's definitely a return to form.
You're missing out.
Now I understand the other poster said it's "not that bad"
That is not my position because there is nothing to call "not that bad"
it's apples and oranges comparison.
There has always been car's in that price range in GT and the only solution to your problems would be to reduce all cars because you don't want to earn the money and rather pay for it.
That is exactly what you're asking for.

No, I don't want any real money based elements in the game at all. Because I don't play games that contain them - even if they are allegedly "optional" they still have a corrosive effect on the game design. Same reason I didn't play GTS or modern fighting games. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand and you have to fall back on this absurd canard about "wanting to buy the cars".

This is just console war bait.
Games aren't meant to be played this way.

Only time you should be spending your money after purchase is DLC, not in-game credit.

As for the micro transactions, it's probably done that way to encourage you to play the game the right way. Purchasing in game credit via real money is like cheating. I don't even know way it's even in the game.

Anyone thinking this is bad is wrong. This should stop people from supporting these dumb micro transactions.
Stockholm Syndrome in action.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Some people can’t put 2 and 2 together. If you design your game so that gamers can spend real money to bypass gameplay mechanics and unlock stuff immediately, then you have a financial incentive to make that stuff more difficult and time-consuming to unlock the “free” way.

kingfey

Banned
Considering that you always had to grind to get cars in GT games, then I don't see this as a problem because it appears you earn a reasonable amount of credits throughout the game.

That is how it usually starts.
Its always, it's OK. It won't hurt the game. It's OK, you can grind it.

These things shouldn't be normalized. What you guys are seeing the start of the mobile MTX.
Sooner, you will have games, which have $100 packages.

hemo memo

Well we know they will put MTX in the game... GTS had it.
But I'm really happy is that they increase the price.

So they are telling you to rely more on your earned ingame credits than buying credits with money.
GTS was too cheap that made people took the easy way.
Please tell me this is sarcasm? Because if not then you are amazingly spinning this and your reasoning is that they are do it for the sake of the player? Really dude?

skybaby

GT7 also includes roulette tickets though which GT:S didn't - think Forza Horizon Wheelspins. So the roulette tickets also allow a quicker build up of credits than previous titles. It's just a rebalance of the game economy given the new ways of earning extra credits.

And for scale context, Goodwood is a two lap race that will take about 5-6 minutes and get you 35,000 for winning (52,000 with clean race bonus), whereas GT Lago Maggiore has a 75,000 first place win (112,500 with clean race bonus)
Dude you can't sell cars lmao stop defending this crap

jonnyXx

Gold Member
In GT8 these cars will be so true to life that digital versions will cost the same as the real life versions. 😳

skybaby

When I go on vacation and walk past boutique clothing stores that sell T Shirts for $200 dollars I don't generally flip my shit.

We really have to see if they made earning in game currency significantly harder.
You literally can't sell cars to make money. It's a scam

Zeroing

Banned
oh man, what a mess!.

These things shouldn't be normalized. What you guys are seeing the start of the mobile MTX.
I agree but no matter what people get angry here it will still happen you know why?

Console wars! The same way we end up having online behind a payway… in all the 3 consoles.

One company does it and their user base is happy no matter what, then the other company will do the same!

SLB1904

Banned
these threads are kinda hard to have a message come across because people won't even listen past what they want to hear..
anyway, you can watch jimmy playing the game,
i play so far 16 or 15 hours
watch for yourself if there is any need to get millions of credits

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am not going to overeact.
But i am sending this fucking shit frisbee straight back if this is true.. still sealed.
Fucking 80 euro’s greedy assholes

Last edited:

ckaneo

It's not fake outrage because video game publishers have proven they cant be trusted.

First it was just cosmetics, now it's optional time saves. Did Sony not just raise the price of next gen games? Record revenue and profit btw.

You are being naïve or obtuse. They are setting the stage for more aggressive pricing in future games and people just keep lapping it up. Sports games are barely even recognizable these days and it just keeps continuing.

I dont doubt that these microtransactions in GT7 are mostly harmless. Because that's on purpose to slowly make them more aggressive without backlash

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

First it was just cosmetics, now it's optional time saves. Did Sony not just raise the price of next gen games? Record revenue and profit btw.

You are being naïve or obtuse. They are setting the stage for more aggressive pricing in future games and people just keep lapping it up. Sports games are barely even recognizable these days and it just keeps continuing.

I dont doubt that these microtransactions in GT7 are mostly harmless. Because that's on purpose to slowly make them more aggressive without backlash
"That is how it usually starts."

You always had to grind to buy the most expensive cars in GT games.

This is a post from Gran Turismo 6.

Here's some motivation towards the Gulf GT40 or Ferrari 250 the likes...

3.25 minutes (3 mins 15 seconds) earns you 52k in credits
It will take you 384 races of this to earn 20mil credits
3.25 minutes is 195 seconds
195 seconds x 384 races is 75,000 seconds
75,000 seconds is 1250 hours
1250 hours / 24 hours in a day = 52 days
Enjoy your next 52 days straight of not sleeping or going to the washroom or eating

Good news is, by the time you're done grinding for all the 20mil cars GT6 for PS4 will be out, and you can start aspiring to some new and exciting grinding exercises.

What major changes have been made in the grinding process?

Did it get harder in GT Sport/ GT 7?

Has it been just about the same and the only difference is that you can pay for shortcuts?

sendit

Really? That's not what the article says

Aston Martin Vulcan ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,300,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
Audi R18 TDI ’11 ($2.99 in GT Sport) – 3,000,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)

Gran Turismo Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

Crash Fail GIF by Red Bull

GT7 is what I would call a game pass. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

jk

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I hate this new practice companies have started that they only enable MTX shit once the review cycle is over.

Everyone learnt the wrong lesson from Battlefront 2.

nikolino840

You have a pyramid actually.

1) People that buy expensive no matter what.
2) People that buy until a certain limit (this group is more complex than that but let fit everybody that pays here).
3) People that doesn't buy.

Basically the change makes MTX aim just that first group.... when in GTS it was aimed to groups 1 and 2.
Sony is basically holding the people that expend money no matter what and making the people that has a limit to how high they go to become non-expense guys.

Look I don't want MTX in games but that is a lose cause already.
But if there is MTX it is better to be not affordable to everybody.

I don't buy cars via MTX so that move makes me very happy indeed... more players will be focused in ingame credits then MTX.
The best should be not have MTX at all.

I support that.
And you are an example that the MTX increase is working.
That's why MT don't bother me in ANY games

Other games with MT that you are Happy?

sCHOCOLATE

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ns-are-live-and-gt-sports-5-cars-now-cost-40/

Just saw this on reddit. That's crazy! From $5 in the last game to $40? What's the explanation here? The article provides none.
Food for thought, or as I'd like to call it, "The doomsday car/racing game hypothesis".

If car/racing game consumers can be coerced into paying nominal, and now, premium, prices for game content...
Can those game consumers be coerced further into paying for the virtual fuel in those games?

What if someone at Sony, or another game publisher, is (or has) considering applying microtransactions to fuel consumption in racing games?

ckaneo

"That is how it usually starts."

You always had to grind to buy the most expensive cars in GT games.

This is a post from Gran Turismo 6.

What major changes have been made in the grinding process?

Did it get harder in GT Sport/ GT 7?

Has it been just about the same and the only difference is that you can pay for shortcuts?
You arent listening. But it's okay. You'll learn soon enough.

We are not saying that GT7 compared has an increased grind, they arent gonna try that the first time around because they saw the immense backlash when others did it. What they are gonna do is introduce the store (after reviews came out) and then build towards more aggressive pricing strategies in the future.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You arent listening. But it's okay. You'll learn soon enough.

We are not saying that GT7 compared has an increased grind, they arent gonna try that the first time around because they saw the immense backlash when others did it. What they are gonna do is introduce the store (after reviews came out) and then build towards more aggressive pricing strategies in the future.
"Well, this could be a problem in the future" isn't going to work. They're likely doing it after reviews because people love to fake outrage.

This is further proof that you guys are just arguing for no reason. The grind to acquire cars has always been the same for decades, then there should be nothing to complain about.

ckaneo

"Well, this could be a problem in the future" isn't going to work. They're likely doing it after reviews because people love to fake outrage.

This is further proof that you guys are just arguing for no reason. The grind to acquire cars has always been the same for decades, then there should be nothing to complain about.
lol, Dforce is such a fitting name.

Will yall please stop accepting so much bullshit. Sony literally just raised their prices

Top Bottom