• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7’s microtransactions are live, and GT Sports’ $5 cars now cost $40

Loxus

Why not just… remove MTX then? Wouldn’t that be a lot more effective in encouraging people to play the right way?
Which is why I said this.
I don't even know way it's even in the game.
But since it's already there, I hope the high prices discourage people from at least supporting it.

At least that's what I was trying to say but some people (not you) gotta make a joke about every thing.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Hang on.
Did I miss something?

Are you required to pay that amount for those cars or can you not unlock them using the regular in game currency?!

I remember in GT2 there were cars you had to grind hours and hours for to have the credits to buy them.

But because they’ve now added in a shortcut that is 100% optional , non forced , people are losing their minds.

It’s not like you have GT Credits then Car credits that require insane amounts of grind for. These are the one and same credits from the game that you earn race on race like you have for decades of GT games but now if you are dumb enough you can buy them direct from the store.

Beggars belief.

Inviusx

Can you buy those cars with ingame credits? Like i always did in all the Gran Turismo before Sport. Earning credit or grinding to buy all the cars available. If yes who the hell care about that? Too me they can charge $100 for each car. If no then that sucks... too expensive.

Of course you can, the system of earning credits via races and buying cars hasn't changed a bit.

If you just play the game like a regular old GT game you'll be swimming in credits.

This thread is mainly just concern posting. I'm not defending the use of buying in game credits with real money but you would have to be a real smooth brained individual to skip the fun part of the game in order to buy cars.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
FUCKING YIKES!!

I didn't even know this shit was in the game!

WTF, why wasnt this live before reviews went up?

I am noping out of this until it gets sorted.

scydrex

Of course you can, the system of earning credits via races and buying cars hasn't changed a bit.

If you just play the game like a regular old GT game you'll be swimming in credits.

This thread is mainly just concern posting. I'm not defending the use of buying in game credits with real money but you would have to be a real smooth brained individual to skip the fun part of the game in order to buy cars.

Exactly. The fun of this game is to race and stuff to earn credit to buy cars. From GT1 to GT6 that's why i did. Sport is the only one i didn't play.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is just console war bait.
Games aren't meant to be played this way.

Only time you should be spending your money after purchase is DLC, not in-game credit.

As for the micro transactions, it's probably done that way to encourage you to play the game the right way. Purchasing in game credit via real money is like cheating. I don't even know way it's even in the game.

Anyone thinking this is bad is wrong. This should stop people from supporting these dumb micro transactions.

This is satire right? you dont actually believe what you have typed?

Why the fuck wouldnt Sony and Polyphony just you know...not have microtransactions if what you say was one percent true.

Loxus

On a side note, I’d like to thank Netflix for raising their prices. The message is clear: they want to help us break our addiction to TV because they care about our health. Thanks, Netflix!!!
You do know this and Netflix subscription are two different things right.

Netflix you have not other choice, but with GT7 you can completely ignore the micro transactions.

Console wars will never change I guess.

Chukhopops

But since it's already there, I hope the high prices discourage people from at least supporting it.

At least that's what I was trying to say but some people (not you) gotta make a joke about every thing.
I really don’t buy the idea that they increased the prices to discourage people from buying MTX. Most likely they realized that people who buy those MTXs buy on impulse and are not price-sensitive so it’s worth having fewer players buying if each buyer spends more.

Also using credits instead of a price in real money is a known technique used in mobile / F2P games to make it more complicated to calculate the actual costs.

And whichever way you see it it’s a bit dodgy to add it once reviews are out.

Last edited:

Loxus

This is satire right? you dont actually believe what you have typed?

Why the fuck wouldnt Sony and Polyphony just you know...not have microtransactions if what you say was one percent true.

Loxus

I really don’t buy the idea that they increased the prices to discourage people from buying MTX. Most likely they realized that people who buy those buy on impulse and are not price-sensitive so it’s worth having fewer players buying if each buyer spends more.
I agree but it also encourage you to grain in most cases anyway.

Most people will just play the game anyway instead.

Nvzman

Hang on.
Did I miss something?

Are you required to pay that amount for those cars or can you not unlock them using the regular in game currency?!

I remember in GT2 there were cars you had to grind hours and hours for to have the credits to buy them.

But because they’ve now added in a shortcut that is 100% optional , non forced , people are losing their minds.

It’s not like you have GT Credits then Car credits that require insane amounts of grind for. These are the one and same credits from the game that you earn race on race like you have for decades of GT games but now if you are dumb enough you can buy them direct from the store.

Beggars belief.
Yea this is just typical GAF concern posting. I absolutely fucking hate MTX but Gran Turismo games have always been a little grindy for the top end cars, and this game doesn't lower how you earn or anything. If you ignored the MTX in this game you'd never know they were there, to be honest I certainly don't care. The comparison to Forza is nonsensical because you actually have to pay for the DLC/update cars in that game, where in GT Sport and 7 they are just free updates you can earn in game.

ethomaz

Banned
Going to be interesting to see the pricing models of those 10 live service games currently in production.
Is their F2P or paid games?
I don't like F2P games with paid content that goes against cosmetics because it becomes P2W.
Actually the cosmetic think works for both paid or F2P.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Are these cars actually on the store for $40 each?
or are people just translating the in-game credits to money?
Because they're two different things.

ethomaz

Banned
There is no car in store for GT7 (at least now).
They are using the $ to credits conversion... something that doesn't existed in GTS.

I checked and the cars costs the same via credits in GTS and GT7 (the OP cars).

Last edited:

ckaneo

You guys will defend anything lol.

I totally understand that you can earn money in the game by playing regularly, but you are falling into the same trap these guys have been using for years. If only people listened about horse armor dlc. Remember when people were arguing against the $10 game increase? Because we knew the argument about them getting rid of microtransactions was absolute bullshit. They were gonna increase the price and be more aggressive about microtransactions. This is how it starts and you can see in other series when you give them an inch, they take a mile. It only gets worse from here. Which is why the store was unavailable during reviews.

Oh did I forget to mention Sony has been making record setting revenues and profit? Stop defending this crap.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
They increase the car price via MTX... how that can be bad?
The main way to get cars is via ingame earned credits.
That is the main focus with the increase via MTX.

There is no exclusive car via MTX.
Increasing it prices just support users to play and earn credits than rely on MTX.

Your level of deranged Sony fanboyism is honestly reaching the dimensions of a mental illness.

HTK

Banned
Are you serious, I was about to buy the ultimate edition of this game. I'll hold off for now, let's see how things change. This is absolutely ridiculous from Sony.

Soodanim

This. The title/headline is a lie, because while you can spend $40 on 40,000,000cr to cover a purchase of a 3,600,000cr car, the car itself doesn't cost $40. It costs $36 worth of credits, ignoring that if you actually play the game you earn credits. If they've made changes to the system that force you into spending that sort of money, then there's a discussion to be had. But as it stands, fuck off with the lies VGC.

Lying to get clicks doesn't help the cause of fighting MTX.

Last edited:

scydrex

Your level of deranged Sony fanboyism is honestly reaching the dimensions of a mental illness.

If they would have mantain the same prices as before would you have bought those cars with real money or with game currency? Also the $40 is to buy game currency not the car.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
GT7 also includes roulette tickets though which GT:S didn't - think Forza Horizon Wheelspins. So the roulette tickets also allow a quicker build up of credits than previous titles. It's just a rebalance of the game economy given the new ways of earning extra credits.

Once players have finished their first Café menu in Gran Turismo 7, they will be rewarded with an unexplained item known as a Roulette Ticket. No, there isn’t gambling in the game, but there is something potentially far better. The Roulette Ticket allows players to unlock cars, credits, and car parts at no cost. Here’s how to take advantage of this new feature.

Unlike past games, GT7 will now require players have a Roulette Ticket to be rewarded a gift car. To use a ticket, open the Garage menu from the World Map and click on the Gifts tab. From there, you can trade a ticket in to spin for one of the several gifts presented on the prize wheel. These tickets hold their own rarities, too, ranging from one-star to three-star. Thus, the higher the rarity of the ticket is, the better the rewards are on the prize wheel.

And for scale context, Goodwood is a two lap race that will take about 5-6 minutes and get you 35,000 for winning (52,000 with clean race bonus), whereas GT Lago Maggiore has a 75,000 first place win (112,500 with clean race bonus)

Louay

Why are people buying digital cars with real money to begin with?
the problem here why people buy high priced Microtransactions in first place ? Single Skin cost more than $10 and people happily buy it.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Last edited:

mitch1971

Sony financial threads: look at that growth!! You go Sony!! Woohoo!! Profit!!

Sony using optional mt to increase profits: Booooooo. Fuck you sony!!

ethomaz

Banned
Soo...if moving players away from MTX is a good thing..and it was why the prices were jacked up...why have MTX in the first place.

I'm not expecting a serious answer btw. Have no power to fight the industrial strength washing machine you seem to be running:p
I don't want MTX in games at all :D
Sadly people and GAFers thought it was good and so we are here now.

But I totally agree... no MTX should be the best action.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
If they would have mantain the same prices as before would you have bought those cars with real money or with game currency? Also the $40 is to buy game currency not the car.

Hard to say - I used to be a huge GT fan, but the second I heard that GT7 was being turned into GTS lite I basically lost any interest in it. So it won't make any difference, since I'm not buying the game anyway. Basically the same reason I stopped playing fighting games - the introduction of MTX gives the developers a positive incentive to turn them into grindfests and since I play games to have fun my response to that is "fuck you".

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The level of deranged dumb clickbaiting is honestly reaching the dimensions of a mental illness. 🙄
What people are complaining about can be applied to every car in the game.
This is only a problem if you are a dumb fuck that can't earn the money in-game through natural progression and just want a short cut to purchase whatever you want from the get go.
call it cheating, call it pay to win.
the only problem is the person who even thinks about doing this.
And wouldn't be a thing if you couldn't purchase credits.

nikolino840

Well we know they will put in game credit to buy via money in the game... GTS had it.
But I'm really happy is that they increase the price.

So they are telling you to rely more on your earned ingame credits than buying credits with money.
GTS was too cheap that made people took the easy way.
Or you can pay Just to support the developers and help Sony to fund the next gt

onQ123

the problem here why people buy high priced Microtransactions in first place ? Single Skin cost more than $10 and people happily buy it.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF
Crazy but this is the world we live in now & the crazy part is that if they told people that the digital assets was limited editions they would pay even more just to have something that other people don't have even if they don't really have anything lol

Trimesh

Banned
The level of deranged dumb clickbaiting is honestly reaching the dimensions of a mental illness. 🙄
What people are complaining about can be applied to every car in the game.
This is only a problem if you are a dumb fuck that can't earn the money in-game through natural progression and just want a short cut to purchase whatever you want from the get go.
call it cheating, call it pay to win.
the only problem is the person who even thinks about doing this.
And wouldn't be a thing if you couldn't purchase credits.

No, the issue is that Sony are being unbearably greedy cunts and the usual "Sony defense force" retards are coming out and saying "it's not that bad". In my case, it's basically a non-issue - the moment I heard "always online" about this game I noped out and I won't be buying it anyway - which is a pity, since I was always a big GT fan and considered GTS to be a huge lurch in the wrong direction. I was kind of hoping GT7 would be a return to form, but it seems it's more of the same shit.

Top Bottom