• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

Played about 16 hours of the PS5 game (and some on the PS4 as the code came with the 25th Anniversary steelbook and they share the same save progress and replays etc). The PS4 version looks very good (well, the PS4 Pro version) on the PS5 but more like GT Sport. The game positively shines on the PS5 with its enhanced detail and ray-traced replays which are astonishing good and as close to photo-realistic as I have ever seen in a racing game to date. The presentation and menus are also charming, odd and distinctly Japanese, especially the Cafe and Menu system for the campaign events.

The game also plays well with each car feeling different and the campaign feels rewarding enough in terms of dishing out cars to try that it feels addictive to play and keeps me wanting to play it. There's a decent amount of tracks as well with variations in lighting conditions and weather. So far so good.

What isn't so great are the rolling starts to the races, the lack of qualification rounds and having to always start in last place. For a game that calls itself "the real driving simulator" this is a surprising oversight that seems to stem from the older PlayStation hardware's limitations in having all the cars on the starting grid. The races do start quicker, especially with this excellent loading times (2-3 seconds typically) but I feel they could have had added more realistic racing modes too. Starting at the back of the grid with the initially confusing PP system that tells me that the car I am using has the recommended level but then I find that I have no chance of catching the top 5 cars as it simply isn't fast enough. I found that I have to tune the car way beyond its recommended PP level in order to stand a chance in some events; the Laguna Seca track was especially annoying as it has few straights where you can overtake and took me many many attempts to win and then I ended up using an overpowered car to do so, just cutting corners where possible (since GT7 oddly has no penalty system outside of the Licence mode).

Also, there's some quirks from the older games still such as awful chase camera which is far too stiff when cornering that it actually makes the game far harder to play and looks "odd", like the world is moving rather than the car (it's hard to explain but it is by far the worst third-person camera of any racing game I've played that doesn't have Gran and Turismo in its title). Some of the menus are unnecessary clunky too; why for example can I not jump straight to the Tuning menu if a car I own needs adjusting for the race I have selected? Why, if I don't own a car for that race, do I have to navigate tediously back through the menus to buy a new vehicle rather than having an option to go straight there? Why can I not adjust the game's audio from the race menu? There's nothing game-breaking here but they are small inconveniences that become more annoying the longer you play.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Played about 16 hours of the PS5 game (and some on the PS4 as the code came with the 25th Anniversary steelbook and they share the same save progress and replays etc). The PS4 version looks very good (well, the PS4 Pro version) on the PS5 but more like GT Sport. The game positively shines on the PS5 with its enhanced detail and ray-traced replays which are astonishing good and as close to photo-realistic as I have ever seen in a racing game to date. The presentation and menus are also charming, odd and distinctly Japanese, especially the Cafe and Menu system for the campaign events.

The game also plays well with each car feeling different and the campaign feels rewarding enough in terms of dishing out cars to try that it feels addictive to play and keeps me wanting to play it. There's a decent amount of tracks as well with variations in lighting conditions and weather. So far so good.

What isn't so great are the rolling starts to the races, the lack of qualification rounds and having to always start in last place. For a game that calls itself "the real driving simulator" this is a surprising oversight that seems to stem from the older PlayStation hardware's limitations in having all the cars on the starting grid. The races do start quicker, especially with this excellent loading times (2-3 seconds typically) but I feel they could have had added more realistic racing modes too. Starting at the back of the grid with the initially confusing PP system that tells me that the car I am using has the recommended level but then I find that I have no chance of catching the top 5 cars as it simply isn't fast enough. I found that I have to tune the car way beyond its recommended PP level in order to stand a chance in some events; the Laguna Seca track was especially annoying as it few places to overtake and took my many attempts to win and then I ended up using an overpowered car to do so, just cutting corners where possible (since GT7 oddly has no penalty system outside of the Licence mode).

Also, there's some quirks from the older games still such as awful chase camera which is far too stiff when cornering that it actually makes the game far harder to play and looks "odd", like the world is moving rather than the car (it's hard to explain but it is by far the worst third-person camera of any racing game I've played that doesn't have Gran and Turismo in its title). Some of the menus are unnecessary clunky too; why for example can I not jump straight to the Tuning menu if a car I own needs adjusting for the race I have selected? Why, if I don't own a car for that race, do I have to navigate tedious through the menus to buy a new vehicle rather than having an option to go straight there? Why can I not adjust the game's audio from the race menu? There's nothing game-breaking here but they are small inconveniences that become more annoying the longer you play.
I get the criticism regarding rolling starts, but I suppose this is (and has always been) the GT way. You could scratch that itch by setting up your own races (where you can choose standing starts) and hopefully PD add more race variations into the career mix in future updates.

Wooo I beat the game! Well I got to the credits anyway. And all I got was this Pagani Huaya. And then with my final roulette ticket I got a Zonda.

Last edited:
Got my baby

RtOpiGn.jpg

My only very minor gripes so far about the game:
  • Race music selection is pretty meh. Its wierd because there is so much music in the game. There is far more menu music than eace music. Even during credits there were new tracks I had never heard before! But they dont seem to be available for during race.
  • Can't sell cars. If I bought X car for 450,000 but win same car later as a free prize I want to sell back the one I bought!
  • I want to be able to buy Tires during a race or at least from the car set up menu. I dont want to have to quit a race and return to the map screen just beacuse the car I choose did not happen to have rain tires or whatever.
  • Cafe mode was too short! I guess it was almost 20hrs. But I wanted more of this.
  • Not enough cars in the used car lots. Its gonna be hard to collect all the cars unless I am launching this game every day to check. But I guess that is what they want.

GenericUser

The AI is sooooo good, even on medium. I finished cafe and have no intention to further play the game because the computer opponents are sooo damn good. I don't want to lower the difficulty either, I'm not THAT slow ffs.

Cohetedor

Is there any way to restart the game? I've got the progression bug after menu 19 and decided to bite the bullet and start over. I tried deleting both online and console saves but it doesn't work.

Do I need to delete the entire game and redownload?

Reactions: CZY
Digging the game so far. The missions are trash though, they are just license tests repackaged. I just did the 2nd set of them and I just dont care for their rigid structure. The one where you have to manage your low fuel is just not fun at all.

Everything else feels like GT for better or worse.

I made a huge mistake though. I splurged on an Alpine A110 and dumped a lot of money into upgrades....its almost undrivable though. The rear end steps out when you are accelerating, when you are braking, or really when doing just about anything. Its not a good slide either, more like an old 911 Turbo slide where it sends you straight into a tank slapper. Anyone got any settings I should try? Kinda bummed that I put so much money into this car only for it to drive like pants.

SLB1904

Banned
Digging the game so far. The missions are trash though, they are just license tests repackaged. I just did the 2nd set of them and I just dont care for their rigid structure. The one where you have to manage your low fuel is just not fun at all.

I made a huge mistake though. I splurged on an Alpine A110 and dumped a lot of money into upgrades....its almost undrivable though. The rear end steps out when you are accelerating, when you are braking, or really when doing just about anything. Its not a good slide either, more like an old 911 Turbo slide where it sends you straight into a tank slapper. Anyone got any settings I should try? Kinda bummed that I put so much money into this car only for it to drive like pants.

You can pretty much reduce the power on the tuning settings. Get some good brakes and racing tyres

You can pretty much reduce the power on the tuning settings. Get some good brakes and racing tyres

Its not the power that's the issue. Its the inherent combination of rear engine, rear wheel drive, and old. There must be some suspension settings to help mitigate this issue though. I have upgraded brakes and I have racing slicks on it.

SLB1904

Banned
Its not the power that's the issue. Its the inherent combination of rear engine, rear wheel drive, and old. There must be some suspension settings to help mitigate this issue though. I have upgraded brakes and I have racing slicks on it.
Sounds like you have too much power. Just try it see if works.

GenericUser

have you considered to put a spoiler on your car to increase the downforce? Helped me with the porsches to get a better exit speed.

Raven117

Gold Member

You need to check out the balance when you are doing upgrades....You can respec....you also may want to turn up TC.

Raven117

Gold Member
What isn't so great are the rolling starts to the races, the lack of qualification rounds and having to always start in last place. For a game that calls itself "the real driving simulator" this is a surprising oversight that seems to stem from the older PlayStation hardware's limitations in having all the cars on the starting grid. The races do start quicker, especially with this excellent loading times (2-3 seconds typically) but I feel they could have had added more realistic racing modes too. Starting at the back of the grid with the initially confusing PP system that tells me that the car I am using has the recommended level but then I find that I have no chance of catching the top 5 cars as it simply isn't fast enough. I found that I have to tune the car way beyond its recommended PP level in order to stand a chance in some events; the Laguna Seca track was especially annoying as it few places to overtake and took my many attempts to win and then I ended up using an overpowered car to do so, just cutting corners where possible (since GT7 oddly has no penalty system outside of the Licence mode).

Also, there's some quirks from the older games still such as awful chase camera which is far too stiff when cornering that it actually makes the game far harder to play and looks "odd", like the world is moving rather than the car (it's hard to explain but it is by far the worst third-person camera of any racing game I've played that doesn't have Gran and Turismo in its title). Some of the menus are unnecessary clunky too; why for example can I not jump straight to the Tuning menu if a car I own needs adjusting for the race I have selected? Why, if I don't own a car for that race, do I have to navigate tedious through the menus to buy a new vehicle rather than having an option to go straight there? Why can I not adjust the game's audio from the race menu? There's nothing game-breaking here but they are small inconveniences that become more annoying the longer you play.
I agree with some of this.

The cafe races where they start you in the back of the pack is particularly egregious. Rolling starts are fine. They use those in real racing. The real issue is that from the back of the grid, you are NOT going to catch the top 3 under normal race conditions unless you (1) have a significantly more powerful car, or (2) you overtake in senarios that you would never do so in a real race. Its number 2 that gets me. The game kinda forces you to drive a bit too recklessly to make bigger overtakes (like on curves and stuff....which you really wouldnt do).

Also, yeah...that tuning thing on the menu is irritating that I can't just get the car from the garage and tune without going all the way out of the menu then back in.

But overall, I absolutely love the game.

Raven117

Gold Member
Can't wait to go home and rage why I can't get golds
LOL. Was dealing with this this weekend....then...when you see your buddies with a 1000th quicker...ugh.

I've had to just say....top 3 plays...and move on. Kinda like the above, sometimes GT forces you to do things you wouldn't really do in a real race or in the conditions its sets...It almost rewards some reckless driving.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Curious to how everyone else is playing.

I currently have it set to Normal difficulty (I think) and might bump it up to Hard after a bit.

Otherwise for events I try to keep the car I use around the recommend PP level, but usually slightly below (580s for a recommend 600 for example).

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
they need to sort the online. im taking my time with single player farm some money but when im done i need to see the online races. they have nothing up yet

edit:

lol

Last edited:

unclbenn

Why are the face buttons offering analogue acceleration like they did in previous GT titles?
Used to be able to lightly press X when accelerating for partial throttle...
starting with the ps4 sony removed the pressure sensitive face buttons from their controllers.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How do you change your profile picture and background?

Edit: nevermind, finally found it

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Damn these golds are hard. Love it

2 licenses to go.

edit:

Last edited:

Aenima

TCS is your enemy. Only turn on on the rain
Using a controller i always set the TCS to 1 or 2, depending of the car. American muscle cars might need TCS at 3.
ABS set to weak
Counter Steer set to weak.
Everething else off.

So far even using automatic shifting, doing gold is not really a problem, is more about doing the right line and doing good exits than everething else.

I only completed the first 2 sets of licenses so far, all gold, only the A4, the one with the yellow civic, game me a hard time untill i decided to try a diferent line during the corner and killed the gold time with 0.200 to spare.

But these licences are more like the ones from old GTs, they are more challenging.

Also completed a circuit experience with all golds and the 1st set of missions with all golds. They are all challenging but doable with the controller settings i posted above. Ppl using manual shifting might even get a easier time.

SLB1904

Banned
Using a controller i always set the TCS to 1 or 2, depending of the car. American muscle cars might need TCS at 3.
ABS set to weak
Counter Steer set to weak.
Everething else off.

So far even using automatic shifting, doing gold is not really a problem, is more about doing the right line and doing good exits than everething else.

I only completed the first 2 sets of licenses so far, all gold, only the A4, the one with the yellow civic, game me a hard time untill i decided to try a diferent line during the corner and killed the gold time with 0.200 to spare.

But these licences are more like the ones from old GTs, they are more challenging.

Also completed a circuit experience with all golds and the 1st set of missions with all golds. They are all challenging but doable with the controller settings i posted above. Ppl using manual shifting might even get a easier time.
of course, is doable have no doubts about that
but once you get used to tcs off you tend to drive smoothly to avoid spins and feels so much better, and is a lot faster :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
I changed my Porsche’s paint job to carbon fiber along with adding some black center lock wheels and it’s 🔥🔥🔥

Pro tip for drag races: don’t hold down brake and gas at the same time as the race is starting. Learned the hard way…

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, these later championship races are so intense my hands are tired and almost shaking by the end of the final race. I’m really glad they added the ability to restart a race without having to restart the WHOLE championship again. That used to be brutal in GT5.

Top Bottom