• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

You been on a rampage against Spidey 2 man, Chief would like to have a word with you!
He can't.

I have 2 runs on spidey 2018, 2 runs on morales, i even payed like a bitch for the crossgen update for spidey 1 and my copy of spidey 2 is payed since forever.

All of my trolling is like a father using rough love when he want the best for his son, it's not born from hate, i just want them to be better, no matter how harsh i sound.

And it is like that with 99% of the games i troll, except stuff like animal crossing and the disgusting remilkVII.

Last edited:

alloush

You lot with the ridiculous TASM hate is why we never got more Andrew Garfield spiderman movies. He was great and I was surprised to see him get the loudest cheers at the theater. Was totally expected people to cheer louder for Tobey McGuire but its clear that Andrew Garfield and TASM movies were loved, but the internet outrage convinced Sony to kill the franchise and go with safe, formulaic and boring marvel version of Spiderman.

Spiderman has never looked better than it did in TASM 2. Director knew how to shoot and light the action scenes, and hans zimmer killed it with the soundtrack. I cant even remember a single track or setpiece from the generic Tom Holland movies.

spider-man-electro.gif

dWAJuQ.gif

998895cd66905cf885c59e3fe633bdd36d86ea3e.gif
I thought this was spidey 2 at first, I was like GODDAAAAMN then realized it was the movie, lol which should act as a compliment to Insomniac!

alloush

He can't.

I have 2 runs on spidey 2018, 2 runs on morales, i even payed like a bitch for the crossgen update for spidey 1 and my copy of spidey 2 is payed since forever.

All of my trolling is like a father using rough love when he want the best for his son, it's not born from hate, i just want them to be better, no matter how harsh i sound.
Haha Gym you are something else, this place wouldn’t be the same without you man!

You lot with the ridiculous TASM hate is why we never got more Andrew Garfield spiderman movies. He was great and I was surprised to see him get the loudest cheers at the theater. Was totally expected people to cheer louder for Tobey McGuire but its clear that Andrew Garfield and TASM movies were loved, but the internet outrage convinced Sony to kill the franchise and go with safe, formulaic and boring marvel version of Spiderman.

Spiderman has never looked better than it did in TASM 2. Director knew how to shoot and light the action scenes, and hans zimmer killed it with the soundtrack. I cant even remember a single track or setpiece from the generic Tom Holland movies.

spider-man-electro.gif

dWAJuQ.gif

998895cd66905cf885c59e3fe633bdd36d86ea3e.gif
“You lot”???

Dude I named the first one as one of the best post Raimi

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
“You lot”???

Dude I named the first one as one of the best post Raimi
you said it comes close to being good. and that nothing after spiderman 2 in 2004 could be considered good.

so yeah, you all didnt appreciate these movies and now we are stuck with marvel formulaic trash till eternity.

you said it comes close to being good. and that nothing after spiderman 2 in 2004 could be considered good.

so yeah, you all didnt appreciate these movies and now we are stuck with marvel formulaic trash till eternity.
Well there’s a spectrum in that for sure

Sides by saying what I said I’m also shitting on Raimi 3 and the god awful MCU ones

Nobody can deny TASM2 is visually unreal though. Shot on actual film too not digital. It’s marvelous.

Certinty

No idea how this is the topic being talked about here, but those two Amazing Spider-Man movies are nowhere near as bad as most people make out, at the very worst they're still both better than Maguire's third movie.

Like many have said, visually they're top notch and the action scenes are filmed beautifully. Just a huge shame they dropped the ball hard on the villains, especially in the second one. The Peter and Gwen romance as well as the soundtrack were great.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Do we have any other city based nextgen only open world game for similar comparisons?

Perhaps not. But are we trying to measure the the next gen leap or comparing similar games? Distinctions should be made.

If analyzing generational difference the most equitable comparison would be SM 2018 on base PS4. If we want to judge similar open world games then console version of CP2077 should be used, not a damn 4090/12900k combo lol. I'm sure Insomniac takes these ridiculous comparisons as a compliment though.

Wd legion is crossgen and people posted pics of that one that looked not much worse than sp2 tbh.

Justin Timberlake What GIF

GymWolf

Perhaps not. But are we trying to measure the the next gen leap or comparing similar games? Distinctions should be made.

If analyzing generational difference the most equitable comparison would be SM 2018 on base PS4. If we want to judge similar open world games then console version of CP2077 should be used, not a damn 4090/12900k combo lol. I'm sure Insomniac takes these ridiculous comparisons as a compliment though.

Justin Timberlake What GIF
Someone posted very impressive pics to show the rtx or the lights or something.

Not sure who he was.

rofif

Banned
I agree with a lot of this. Cyberpunk's highs are among best graphics in visuals, but I often see a relatively minimal fidelity uplift from the game's bottom basement rasterization efforts to the so-called peak rendering method with path tracing. Look at this gif. I would expect a PT implemantation to yield FAR more stunning results. Why are there still glaring oddities with all of the might of a 4090 and a game mode that was practically coded to the wire for Lovelace GPU, basically PC version of a Sony 1st party game coded for PS5.

I compared CP on my end on 3080.
Ultra raster vs max Path Tracing and I don't find the difference to be that stunning.
And often PT looks too dark or contrasty. When it hits well, it hits well but rarely like in that gif

SlimySnake

i think a lot of these examples just showcase that the devs and artists didnt bother lighting these areas. or maybe thats how they wanted them lit but RT overdrive is completely gutting what they intended. the first, second and the last gifs are just too different in terms of mood and i highly doubt the devs wanted it that way.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
i think a lot of these examples just showcase that the devs and artists didnt bother lighting these areas. or maybe thats how they wanted them lit but RT overdrive is completely gutting what they intended. the first, second and the last gifs are just too different in terms of mood and i highly doubt the devs wanted it that way.
Its open world with dynamic tod and weather, i don't think they aimed at a specific mood in those areas (those are non story areas moments). Its just the limitations of raster lighting and Path tracing makes everything look better. The first one is and last one is just next level the way the whole mood changes. And all the area lights casting light and shadows makes some scenes in the environment brighter unlike what some people think.

SlimySnake

It doesn't even dethrone horizon 2, let's be real.
remains to be seen. Need to play on my screen because gifs can be deceiving.
For every pics or gif you can find about sp2 i can find the same or more impressive from that one.
Come on, I think HFW is the best looking game on consoles, but how many times have I posted ugly screenshots of that game? it too has flaws that I can post to show things spiderman does better.

Problem with comparing a foliage rich game and a game set in an urban environment is that you arent comparing the same things, but I will do my best.

- Draw Distance. - Doesnt matter if HFW is rendering foliage, trees, buildings or actual geometry, game has poor draw distance exposed especially when flying.
- Really poor texture quality on walls. honestly shocking how poor they looked at times. Again, spiderman doesnt have this issue despite how much we criticize it for using low poly buildings.
- Bad indirect lighting. Game looks phenomenal under the sun, but as you can see in the last screenshot, the buildings are completely missing any indirect lighting just because the sun is behind them. what? its still daytime lmao. Spiderman 1 and Miles handled dusk times much better. Need to see more of Spiderman 2 in dusk to say it definitively, but the few dusk time gifs show building dont lose all detail just because the sun is behind them.
- Just very ordinary looking settlements. I thought the new DLC settlement looked ok, but then every settlement in the base game looked ugly. Their modeling system is simply behind Spiderman which is ok because its a foliage rich game set in the wild 90% of the time, but it will lose to spiderman 100% of the time when comparing buildings and other non-foliage areas. The DLC cauldron is an exception but its a closed off area so they probably went ham with the detail level.

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

The point here is that a full fledged nextgen game should utterly buttfuck a crossgen game from 2 years ago in every single aspect, but alas...
Agreed.

SlimySnake

I think that's shit.
Rockstar did the same evne for GTA 5 remaster for ps4....
If You've bought the game, it's yours. You can do whatever with it.
nah, you are just licensing the game. they own the game.

same goes for movies and music. read the disclaimer screen. it tells you that you are simply borrowing a license to watch the movie.

rofif

Banned
nah, you are just licensing the game. they own the game.

same goes for movies and music. read the disclaimer screen. it tells you that you are simply borrowing a license to watch the movie.
Yeah I know the spiel. I am not talking about rights to the game.
I am talking about owning the game. The disc, game

GymWolf

Come on, I think HFW is the best looking game on consoles, but how many times have I posted ugly screenshots of that game? it too has flaws that I can post to show things spiderman does better.

Problem with comparing a foliage rich game and a game set in an urban environment is that you arent comparing the same things, but I will do my best.

- Draw Distance. - Doesnt matter if HFW is rendering foliage, trees, buildings or actual geometry, game has poor draw distance exposed especially when flying.
- Really poor texture quality on walls. honestly shocking how poor they looked at times. Again, spiderman doesnt have this issue despite how much we criticize it for using low poly buildings.
- Bad indirect lighting. Game looks phenomenal under the sun, but as you can see in the last screenshot, the buildings are completely missing any indirect lighting just because the sun is behind them. what? its still daytime lmao. Spiderman 1 and Miles handled dusk times much better. Need to see more of Spiderman 2 in dusk to say it definitively, but the few dusk time gifs show building dont lose all detail just because the sun is behind them.
- Just very ordinary looking settlements. I thought the new DLC settlement looked ok, but then every settlement in the base game looked ugly. Their modeling system is simply behind Spiderman which is ok because its a foliage rich game set in the wild 90% of the time, but it will lose to spiderman 100% of the time when comparing buildings and other non-foliage areas. The DLC cauldron is an exception but its a closed off area so they probably went ham with the detail level.

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

Agreed.
Never said that horizon can't look bad, i was talking about highs from both games.

alloush

Yeah what Slimy said. They just want people to abide by the release date, not to mention people who have it have been spoiling shit for others similar to what happened with tlou2 but to a lesser extent!

alloush

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

FyjcrxyXoAYVOq5

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

FyjcrQDXoAY1muX

Fyjc5DFXsAIi3sF

Agreed.
You still think HFW is still the best looking game on next gen consoles? It hasn’t been topped for you yet?

SlimySnake

i think jstevenson is talking about guys like Shirrako who upload endings and VERY spoilery thumbnails to get millions and millions of hits on day one if not earlier. Every million hit can be $2,000 in ad revenue, so these guy end up making money from insomniac's hard work. So whenever money is involved, insomniac has the right to use their copyright bans. I had Shariiko spoil at least three endings for me because the fucker has mastered the art of tricking the youtube algorithm into recommending his ending videos to everyone on day one or before day one. I highly doubt Jstevenson is talking about you and i posted our captures.

SlimySnake

You still think HFW is still the best looking game on next gen consoles? It hasn’t been topped for you yet?
nope. starfield, ff16, ratchet, demon souls and cyberpunk are the only competitors but cyberpunk looks best on PC, and FF16, ratchet and starfield are far too inconsistent. we'll see how consistent spiderman is and if it has higher highs than horizon. I have only seen cherrypicked gifs from cherrpicked DF footage, so who knows what the final game will look like on my tv. i think i jokingly ranked starfield as 50-50 next gen and last gen, while HFW i ranked as 60-40 or 70-30.

I think we need a top 10 graphics poll here. we get one of those threads a month in the main forum, but everyone here only talks about their top 1 game this gen. I want to know how graphics whore rate games like FF16, Starfield, and Star Wars in a sea of cross gen games. Very easy to pick top 1 like Horizon and Cyberpunk, and dismiss the rest, but it will be interesting to see people forced to grapple with ranking these very inconsistent next gen only games.

I think i made a list last month in another thread. i will dig it up.

EDIT: Found it.

1. Horizon Forbidden West - Pound for pound best looking game out there. Exceptional lighting, insane character models, gorgeous foliage, incredible dialogue mocap
  2. Cyberpunk PC - Best technical showpiece with easily the most advanced graphical features out there. Some poor animations and jankiness keep it from being #1.
  3. Starfield PC - Probably the best lighting model in a game so far. Best interiors. Truly awful exteriors and mediocre character models and animations keep it from charting higher.
  4. Demon Souls - Great lighting and atmosphere paired up with some really detailed texture and asset quality.
  5. Ratchet - Exceptional modeling work, character models and lighting producing near CG quality visuals at times.
  6. RDR2 PC - last gen's GOAT, but feels a bit dated compared to the top 5 above.
  7. Final Fantasy 16 - Insane setpieces on a scale never seen before. Straight up cg looking cutscenes.
  8. TLOU2 - Character models, foliage, animations all among the best last gen.
  9. Witcher 3 Remastered PC RT mode - Surprisngly good looking on PC. Still has the janky animations but it now looks like that original E3 trailer that was downgraded.
  10. Batman Arkham Knight - Best rain ever. best looking city in a game ever. Still looks amazing even after playing cyberpunk in path tracing mode. Go figure.
Honorary mentions:
Matrix Demo - Just a demo even if playable
Flight Sim - Technically not a traditional game but probably the best looking game out there
DriveClub - Poor IQ mars what is arguably still the best looking racer on the market in the best lighting and weather conditions.

Last edited:

amigastar

nope. starfield, ff16, ratchet, demon souls and cyberpunk are the only competitors but cyberpunk looks best on PC, and FF16, ratchet and starfield are far too inconsistent. we'll see how consistent spiderman is and if it has higher highs than horizon. I have only seen cherrypicked gifs from cherrpicked DF footage, so who knows what the final game will look like on my tv. i think i jokingly ranked starfield as 50-50 next gen and last gen, while HFW i ranked as 60-40 or 70-30.

I think we need a top 10 graphics poll here. we get one of those threads a month in the main forum, but everyone here only talks about their top 1 game this gen. I want to know how graphics whore rate games like FF16, Starfield, and Star Wars in a sea of cross gen games. Very easy to pick top 1 like Horizon and Cyberpunk, and dismiss the rest, but it will be interesting to see people forced to grapple with ranking these very inconsistent next gen only games.

About your honorary mentioning of Flight Sim i would like to add DCS World. Especially the upcoming 2.9 update will get DLSS looks also awesome.

miklonus

Mr. Gym (and Comicstorian) said it best: the 2018 PlayStation 4 version is the best adaptation of Peter Parker/Spider-Man ever. Outside of the 90's FOX cartoon, 2018 Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4nails the essence of what Spider-Man the character and world is.

Fuck all the movies. Any one or two good things that any particular movie did doesn't hold up to the 2018 game, or the animated shows. It's like trying to compare the Batman movies, even Nolan's and Burton's first two, to the animated shows. And that's me saying that KNOWING that Burton essentially gave birth to the animated show. Andrea Romano, Dini, Timm, Conroy, etc.

GymWolf GymWolf

alloush

Dude let’s do one of these polls but instead of picking just one game as your best looking one let’s do one that has you ranking your top ten. Is it doable? Or we can only pick one option? Also could it be done in this very thread or it does it need a whole new one?

SlimySnake

Dude let’s do one of these polls but instead of picking just one game as your best looking one let’s do one that has you ranking your top ten. Is it doable? Or we can only pick one option? Also could it be done in this very thread or it does it need a whole new one?
I don’t think it’s doable in polls but you can just write your top ten like i did. See if others follow suit. Pointless creating a new thread because i don’t see thread regulars venture into those threads.

alloush

I don’t think it’s doable in polls but you can just write your top ten like i did. See if others follow suit. Pointless creating a new thread because i don’t see thread regulars venture into those threads.
Yeah if it needs creating a new thread then it aint worth it. I’d like something like a poll or like what you did write up our top ten. I reckon hfw and cp will be top of most people’s lists.

i think jstevenson is talking about guys like Shirrako who upload endings and VERY spoilery thumbnails to get millions and millions of hits on day one if not earlier. Every million hit can be $2,000 in ad revenue, so these guy end up making money from insomniac's hard work. So whenever money is involved, insomniac has the right to use their copyright bans. I had Shariiko spoil at least three endings for me because the fucker has mastered the art of tricking the youtube algorithm into recommending his ending videos to everyone on day one or before day one. I highly doubt Jstevenson is talking about you and i posted our captures.

That Shirrako is suck a piece of shit

SlimySnake

If y'all can appreciate Cyberpunk Raster vs RT GI difference, then you can surely acknowledge the respectable improvement in GI/character lighting, vehicle geometry , and vehicle RT reflections on display here between SM Remastered and SM2.

not a huge difference here. but i see what you are saying in regards to cyberpunk.

Still the best looking game of the gen. (burning shores)
I actually think HFW looks better. there is far more pop-in and jankiness in the visual makeup of the DLC. it became clear to me that the engine needs to be upgraded.

still a gorgeous looking game though. Going to play it for a few hours before spiderman to see if spiderman 2 holds up. Might be a good idea to revisit it after playing starfield and cyberpunk over the last couple of months.

Alex11

If y'all can appreciate Cyberpunk Raster vs RT GI difference, then you can surely acknowledge the respectable improvement in GI/character lighting, vehicle geometry , and vehicle RT reflections on display here between SM Remastered and SM2.

It goes both ways, if you can see and appreciate the differences between these 2, then you clearly see the huge differences in CP from raster to PT - of course where they are, because there are times where there isn't that much of a difference.

Back to SM2, I agree, there some areas where there is a good improvement, especially like the suit as it isn't that dark and is more natural, simulating the light bouncing, but again the shadows under the cars are worse, maybe a bug?
And also, not in this scene, but I said it before, the water is a major improvement IMO, I think they are the first studio to my recollection (I may be wrong or don't remember at this point) and try accurate reflections and not treat large bodies of water like a giant mirror.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Friday cant come soon enough. Game has slowly but surely impressed me.

Should still look even better than it does, the RT on all modes is ridiculous. Cut that shit out on Performance mode and spend all that extra time you took making performance mode look pretty (for people who dont care about graphics) making the 30fps quality mode look even better.
I actually think HFW looks better. there is far more pop-in and jankiness in the visual makeup of the DLC. it became clear to me that the engine needs to be upgraded.

still a gorgeous looking game though. Going to play it for a few hours before spiderman to see if spiderman 2 holds up. Might be a good idea to revisit it after playing starfield and cyberpunk over the last couple of months.
When I played Burning Shores I noticed a pretty decent leap in straight up fidelity .but youre right about the pop in, there was def more of it. Im the type to not care about that stuff though, didnt bother me.

but I would assume they are definitely working on an updated version of decima for Horizon 3

I thought this was spidey 2 at first, I was like GODDAAAAMN then realized it was the movie, lol which should act as a compliment to Insomniac!
Please. Insomniac couldn’t make Spider-Man 2 look like that if they had a NASA super computer and their lives depended on it

Film industry talent still makes game industry talent look like a a bunch of lazy jokes. The Matrix Demo was done by movie guys in 8 months if I’m not mistaken

GooseMan69

Please. Insomniac couldn’t make Spider-Man 2 look like that if they had a NASA super computer and their lives depended on it

Film industry talent still makes game industry talent look like a a bunch of lazy jokes. The Matrix Demo was done by movie guys in 8 months if I’m not mistaken

Yeah cause the film industry is doing so well these days. Just a beacon of creativity and innovation.

SlimySnake

Back in the day Insomniac, ND and SSM all used to hire movie guys. They are all in the LA area so not too hard to snatch movie artists.

My guess is that movie execs caught wind of it, and simply started paying them more. Or the video game burnout cycle churned out all the good artists who quit in their mid 30s as they got married and had kids. video games are a young mans game with the constant 2 year long crunch. no one in the right mind would do this.

Matrix was indeed made by 80 guys in 8 months, and some of them were from hollywood vfx studios including folks who worked on the original Matrix and the new Avatar movie.

Insomniac has the talent, ratchet proves this. the problem is that they didnt have the time. 2.5 years is not enough to revamp and retool everything. what they have done here in 2.5 years is remarkable. lets not forget that insomniac produced a near cg looking game just 2 years ago. running at native 4k 40-50 fps. You cant pull visuals like this without SOME hollywood talent.

C0H1WIc.gif

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

The scene composition and cutscene direction in spiderman 1 was pretty amazing too. on the PS4. I remember asking if they had some help from hollywood's marvel studio either storyboarding or straight up directing the cutscenes because it was way above their previous work on the PS3 and PS4. But then ratchet came out and looked and moved like a pixar movie. Again, they have the talent, just not the time other sony studios like GG, SSM, ND and Sucker Punch are awarded.

tumblr_padejzwdWk1qkq3ido4_640.gif

6gUV68K.gif

27ps80.gif

I think they could get very close to those TASM visuals with spiderman 3. Spiderman 2 still feels like a launch window title that isnt the pushing the PS5 to the max. NX Gamer said that the game sits around native 4k most of the time despite the DRS window dropping to 1440p. A 1440p spiderman game would have 2x more of the gpu power to push visuals even more than they are today, but given how they are working on wolverine and have a third team working on some avengers like gaas game, I am not sure if they will push themselves.

SlimySnake

Yeah cause the film industry is doing so well these days. Just a beacon of creativity and innovation.
Every industry has its problems and yes marvel studios are overworking their cg artists, but i think the movie industry is in a much better state. these guys had to shoot on site during covid while wearing masks and they still got all their movies out on time. maybe 2-3 month delay at best. meanwhile game devs were working from home and delayed everything by a year and still shipped them broken on day one.

I think the game industry could learn a lot from hollywood. Their shoots are 2-3 months long. the movies are finished in 2-3 years max. we still get auteurs like Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, Michael Mann, Ridley Scott and Denise Villenvue putting out A-tier movies every 2-3 years. Stuff that is so far ahead of what games are doing, it's not even funny. Napolean will be Ridley Scott's 5th war epic with thousands of extras. Game developers havent even attempted one.

If you watch Netflix, Disney+ and Marvel trash then yes, i would agree, but i am far more selective and stuff I do watch blows me away with their direction, storytelling, and sheer craftmanship. Even last year, The Batman, Top Gun and Avatar 2 were absolutely mind blowing experiences in the movie theater. House of Dragon was actually using tech that was originally developed with Epic using unreal engine 4 and it is arguably the best looking tv show ever made. Hollywood is just leagues ahead at this point, masters of their craft and far more productive.

Top Bottom