• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ooohh some juicy takes in this thread, lol

Why are some here commenting as if it's 2028? The current gen has effectively just begun and ND is at the forefront of it all.

No way in hell was this game made for the PS5 I coulda sworn TLOU2 looks better!

I struggle to even conceptualize how that would be possible. Can you clarify? What aspect of TLOU2 looks better than Pt.1?

I do not expect that level of graphics fidelity this gen. Sorry.

What do you mean? Are you saying you don't expect gameplay fidelity to reach the level of these cinematics?

not this again...
30fps is perfectly fine with proper motion blur. I don't care for this conversation... but do you see framerate in my screenshots?!
I compared that uc4 this year and I still chose to play 4k30. It feels good and looks good.

Sosokrates Sosokrates is objectively correct. In motion, higher fps provide better temporal resolution. I myself have historically valued fidelity over fps but the combination of huge advancements in image reconstruction and the fact that I play on an Oled has made my choice a bit more difficult. Now with 40fps and VRR, the choice for this game is a no brainer, fidelity all the way! To me, cinematics tend to look awful when the fps is too high.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Why are some here commenting as if it's 2028? The current gen has effectively just begun and ND is at the forefront of it all.

I struggle to even conceptualize how that would be possible. Can you clarify? What aspect of TLOU2 looks better than Pt.1?

What do you mean? Are you saying you don't expect gameplay fidelity to reach the level of these cinematics?

Sosokrates Sosokrates is objectively correct. In motion, higher fps provide better temporal resolution. I myself have historically valued fidelity over fps but the combination of huge advancements in image reconstruction and the fact that I play on an Oled has made my choice a bit more difficult. Now with 40fps and VRR, the choice for this game is a no brainer, fidelity all the way! To me, cinematics tend to look awful when the fps is too high.
If we talk reconstruction, sure. I take dlss quality 60fps over 4k at 30. Of course.
But ps5 lacks in this regard

Temporal resolution is just a fancy way of saying "it looks more smooth". I think people confuse this with "it's equates to a higher resolution to the eyes". No, it still is lower res with less fine detail than the same game at a higher res and 30 fps.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If we talk reconstruction, sure. I take dlss quality 60fps over 4k at 30. Of course.
But ps5 lacks in this regard

I hear you. It all depends on if the reconstruction is good enough and each gamer is different. Each game is different, too. I know I would NEVER play Rift Apart in performance or performance RT mode, even if 120hz wasn't available. But HFW was good enough for me and didn't seem to sacrifice much if any vfx, which is very important to me.

Temporal resolution is just a fancy way of saying "it looks more smooth". I think people confuse this with "it's equates to a higher resolution to the eyes". No, it still is lower res with less fine detail than the same game at a higher res and 30 fps.

Temporal resolution = clarity in motion. Higher FPS = more data sent to and processed by the gpu. Those frames may be presented at less resolution output, but you are seeing more of the scene when in motion. All else being equal, the only instance where higher resolution/lower frames would be objectively clearer would be screenshot or if absolutely nothing moves during gameplay, and the opposite is true for lower resolution/higher fps.

alloush

Well for starters the cinematic trailer from TLOU2 looked better. If you also compare cutscenes, some gameplay scenes as well you would see that TLOU1 Remake at best is on par visually with TLOU2. We are also getting the combat mechanics from TLOU1 where the combat in TLOU2 is much better and more fluid. We could argue it differs as we are playing with different characters but I am talking about the mechanics themselves, the animations, the different options you etc.

I know you are a big fan of the Remake, Chief and I respect that and if you think it looks stunning then more power to you and everyone else who is on the same page as you. I agree with most of the things you say on here but for TLOU1 Remake I just do not see it as a PS5 game at all honestly. ND can throw all the technical jargon at me and I wouldn't understand jack shit honestly as I am not a tech head but at the end of the day I will trust my eyes and no one else.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hear you. It all depends on if the reconstruction is good enough and each gamer is different. Each game is different, too. I know I would NEVER play Rift Apart in performance or performance RT mode, even if 120hz wasn't available. But HFW was good enough for me and didn't seem to sacrifice much if any vfx, which is very important to me.

Temporal resolution = clarity in motion. Higher FPS = more data sent to and processed by the gpu. Those frames may be presented at less resolution output, but you are seeing more of the scene when in motion. All else being equal, the only instance where higher resolution/lower frames would be objectively clearer would be screenshot or if absolutely nothing moves during gameplay, and the opposite is true for lower resolution/higher fps.
How is Rift Apart 40fps fidelity RT mode? Same high res or lower?
I finished it 4k30 on launch. Thinking of replaying

winjer

Gold Member
Gorgeous stuff. I truly wonder when can we ever have games that look like that.

In this case, maybe soon.
I ran this demo on my 2070S at 1440p, 100% screen resolution, high settings and got 30-35 fps.
A console like the PS5 or Series S should do similar.

alloush

In this case, maybe soon.
I ran this demo on my 2070S at 1440p, 100% screen resolution, high settings and got 30-35 fps.
A console like the PS5 or Series S should do similar.
If we can achieve this level of fidelity in the next 2-3 years that would be wonderful but not gonna lie I have doubts. This level of graphical fidelity in a full-blown game might be too much to ask.

deeptech

I saw that forest demo and first thing that came to mind was something like an old school Ghost Recon game in this setting

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But...It looks WAY better and all the nate screens people posted are from cutscenes where you have zero control...
Exactly. The reason why uncharted and TLOU realtime cutscenes look so much better is because they are effectively tech demos in the sense ALL the GPU horsepower is going into rendering that face. No gameplay logic eating up the CPU. No need to render any other objects in the levels. Even for open world games, you can use Depth of Field to blur out the background detail. it's why Deacon looks so goddamn amazing in realtime cutscenes for an open world game. It effectively stops being an open world game the moment you go into cutscene mode and put the camera right up there next to their face.

Days-Gone-deacon-st-john.jpg

GymWolf

Exactly. The reason why uncharted and TLOU realtime cutscenes look so much better is because they are effectively tech demos in the sense ALL the GPU horsepower is going into rendering that face. No gameplay logic eating up the CPU. No need to render any other objects in the levels. Even for open world games, you can use Depth of Field to blur out the background detail. it's why Deacon looks so goddamn amazing in realtime cutscenes for an open world game. It effectively stops being an open world game the moment you go into cutscene mode and put the camera right up there next to their face.

Days-Gone-deacon-st-john.jpg
Deacon looks like that even in gameplay, probably one of the few sony protagonist that doesn't lose details or face shadows when ingame.

His weak point were the textures on his jacket, too many material mixed and some of them pretty rough looking.

dd5tdbh-aedebfa8-97b9-4bbe-97b4-9842a18bda94.jpg

Banned
Deacon looks like that even in gameplay, probably one of the few sony protagonist that doesn't lose details or face shadows when ingame.

His weak point were the textures on his jacket, too many material mixed and some of them pretty rough looking.

is this in-game or in photo mode. photo mode offen increases not only LOD settings but also often adds stuff like higher quality Antialiasing

GymWolf

is this in-game or in photo mode. photo mode offen increases not only LOD settings but also often adds stuff like higher quality Antialiasing
Not sure, it's from reee photo topic.

But on ps4 pro days gone had very little aliasing to begin with.

But in that topic there are some pics where people used their phones to take pics of a pure ingame situation on their tv and deacon still has max details during gameplay.

You can just put on the game go close to a wall and turn the camera until he goes super zoom on deacon model if you want to check out.

Last edited:
qX6Aj3d.jpg

You sure that’s not a PS5 videogame rebuilt from the ground up, I meant rebuilt for PS5?

SlimySnake

Amazing.

Do we have any character model comparisons of a certain rebuilt from the ground up on PS5 game?

Hunnybun

How is Rift Apart 40fps fidelity RT mode? Same high res or lower?
I finished it 4k30 on launch. Thinking of replaying

DF said they couldn't detect any increased reliance on dynamic resolution. And if they can't, there's no way a normal person would be able to during gameplay.

40fps with VRR is my preferred way to play now. It looks very close to 60fps during normal gameplay, at least to me.

I don't mind the lower res modes - particularly the normal performance mode, because RT seems like such a gimmick in this game - but if I can get a bit more sharpness and a few bells and whistles then I might as well take it.

Yeah but the brain adapts and "fills in the gaps".

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It's been a while. Any good video representing it?
The forest type looks a bit different, but this was one of the better videos I found

It's funny that a last gen open world game has a better looking environment then a current gen exclusive (for spoken)

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Seems like they're piecemealing a lot of the details that were broadly discussed in the 10min gameplay trailer. Hopefully we get more details on how PS5 hardware was leveraged to improve fidelity and AI.
I think everything notable has already been said about how they are using the PS5's hardware.

Its seems basically TLOU2 quality @ 60fos and QoL improvements like loading, better Ai, Daulsense, better audio and support for the physically impaired.

SlimySnake

Did you guys see the new Team Ninja game? 2023 release. Last gen. Absolutely insane.

Nioh 2 came out in March 2020. insane that they decided to make a cross gen game in 2020.

CamHostage

Did you guys see the new Team Ninja game? 2023 release. Last gen. Absolutely insane.

Nioh 2 came out in March 2020. insane that they decided to make a cross gen game in 2020.

You're talking about Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, not Wanted Dead (by former Team Ninja people), right?

The game looks nice, a good step up from the Nioh games with a lot of environmental detail both macro and micro. (Team Ninja of today doesn't have the advantages of its approach in the DC/XB1/360 era, with super-smooth character modeling making its 60FPS play look so clean; they're no longer considered to be near the top of engine technicians, though since most studios just use UE, they may by default be among the best making its own custom engine?)

It being cross-gen, that's a factor of the engine they're using supporting downscale. So far, most things have scaled up and down to support hardware levels reasonably well. LOD hasn't been a limiter like in past-gen (it really wasn't even that level of a factor in between PS3/360 and PS4/One gen that it was in past 3D gens.) Lighting, you could drape new-gen lighting over whatever assets you use. Advanced physics and level management, maybe or maybe not that's important aspect in a stylish-action game like this. Overall, nothing about Wo Long screams "behind the curve" or "wasted potential" to me as a game releasing at this point in the hardware cycle, cross-gen or otherwise?

Team Ninja is also a big group (if it is a defined "group" at all; Japanese publisher-operated internal studios are complicated as far as who is in a team versus who floats between projects across groups,) and the studio juggles a lot of projects at a time. So saying their last game came out in 2020 and so their new game must have started that same day they finished Nioh 2, that's unlikely to be how this game came to be.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The forest type looks a bit different, but this was one of the better videos I found

I will respectfully disagree that this looks better than Kingdom Come. Not a single area from that video feels like a real, thick forest. It doesn't change the fact that RDR2 is still one of the best looking games of last gen, hell it still impresses me when I play it on PC from time to time.

Sosokrates

This is a good video which compares the locations between the ones in TLOU2 and real life. This is a good measurement of graphical fidelity in the game compared to real life!

When look at the serento hotel, it makes me want a shining or shining inspired game really bad.

Sosokrates

This is the one I have been waiting for, the comparison between TLOU1 and TLOU2:

Overall very similar, but with nice physics, resolution, detail and shader improvements for part 1.

It's kinda like if this was a PC game tlou2 would be medium settings and part 1 is physx enabled on ultra.

I want the part 1 improvements implemented in TLOU2 now.

Last edited:

Loxus

This is a good video which compares the locations between the ones in TLOU2 and real life. This is a good measurement of graphical fidelity in the game compared to real life!

Sony definitely blurred the line between current-gen and next-gen with their exclusives imo.

Last edited:

alloush

Destruction and enhanced physics is the only and biggest change. That actually makes me want to play the game.
The physics part confused me a little as in some parts physics in TLOU1 seemed more realistic then in other parts it seemed better in TLOU2. But all in all I agree physics and destruction do seem to be better in TLOU1. Visually it does look to be a bit more crisp too!

Overall very similar, but with nice physics, resolution, detail and shader improvements for part 1.

It's kinda like if this was a PC game tlou2 would be medium settings and part 1 is physx enabled on ultra.

I want the part 1 improvements implemented in TLOU2 now.
Lol this is the best comment honestly and so true. If we could get the best of both worlds we would have a very solid game.

Sony definitely blurred the line between current-gen and next-gen with their exclusives imo.
Agreed!

PS4 era graphics with PS3 era gameplay. Yet story is so amazing that I bought it day one and it's installed and ready to play this evening.
I hate to be that guy but I still think graphically TLOU1 looks like a PS4 game but it does look good though!

Top Bottom