• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Halo Infinite? I'm very underwhelmed by that game in particular (it's Halo Microsofts flagship game) it's character models are Xbox One levels or worse PS3 and I'm not exaggerating. Other things it does better but as a whole it's not good enough even by last generation standards. At least this new GOW is still looking very impressive if not quite next generation.
Tbf looking better than infinite is hardly a big task, that game is probably the ugliest crossgen game we had until now.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Maybe I misunderstood "but I feel the desire for the next big playstation exclusive to be the best thing ever may be clouding some people's judgement." Seemed like handwaving of the games so so visuals.
No just a possible explanation why people think Ragnarok characters looks better then horizon's.
Because horizons just look better, better eye rendering, more realistic textures, better lighting and peach fuzz.

alloush

I just fired up the ps5 for the first time in 7 months (moving countries and all hadn't had the time to play games) and the first think I did was fire up the Matrix Demo and my god does it look freakin gorgeous. I got wowed like I did when I played it for the first time back in December, no game and I mean no game even relatively comes close to it visually. When they switch from a cutscene to gameplay at the beginning with the same graphical fidelity on show which looked like a movie to begin with, that part is what blew me away the most!

Sosokrates

Halo Infinite? I'm very underwhelmed by that game in particular (it's Halo Microsofts flagship game) it's character models are Xbox One levels or worse PS3 and I'm not exaggerating. Other things it does better but as a whole it's not good enough even by last generation standards. At least this new GOW is still looking very impressive if not quite next generation.
I admire the numerious particle effects, and some details like mud splatter and dust build up on metals all at 60fps at a high resolution. I still find that pleasing to the eye, I do agree in terms of the technology being used it outdated. But the point was that I still find old stuff visually appealing.
But halo infinites visual were not the main point.... The point was visuals on ps5 + xsx can still be impressive without being cutting edge, but thats just my opinion, if you disagree fine, no point in arguing about it.

I just fired up the ps5 for the first time in 7 months (moving countries and all hadn't had the time to play games) and the first think I did was fire up the Matrix Demo and my god does it look freakin gorgeous. I got wowed like I did when I played it for the first time back in December, no game and I mean no game even relatively comes close to it visually. When they switch from a cutscene to gameplay at the beginning with the same graphical fidelity on show which looked like a movie to begin with, that part is what blew me away the most!
Matrix Demo and the 2020 UE5 demo just make any cross gen purchase sting. I try to support next gen only titles with my wallet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I admire the numerious particle effects, and some details like mud splatter and dust build up on metals all at 60fps at a high resolution. I still find that pleasing to the eye, I do agree in terms of the technology being used it outdated. But the point was that I still find old stuff visually appealing.
It's a fine looking game overall. At least on PC, but compared to Halo 4 which was arguably the best looking game on the 360 and on par with the best Sony had to offer, it doesnt look like a big enough leap. Maybe it is due to being open world on a 1.3 tflops GPU hampered by an ESRAM implementation or maybe the best talent from 343i left after shipping Halo 4, but man it looks very off compared to other open world games from Ubisoft, Sony, Rockstar and even Coalitions' Gears 5 which had several open world levels but looked incredible on the x1.

One thing I will give Halo infinite credit for is the simplicity and readability of the environments. There was a thread on era about HFW's assault on the senses graphics where this Giantbomb writer explains why its so hard to keep track of enemies in HFW, and as much as I was triggered by someone calling my favorite graphics of the gen UGLY, i have to agree. It's too much detail especially during combat and that lack of detail might actually be helping Halo Infinite look more pleasing than it probably should.

Cyberpunk has a similar problem too. Too much detail. Too many neon lights especially on ray traced lighting everything casting secondary lights, its amazing looking but also too much of a strain on the eyes. RDR2 is the perfect compromise between high fidelity visuals and environmental readability.

SlimySnake

Yep. that first switch to gameplay was simply too much. I actually spent the entire 5 minute section shooting at tires thinking it was an FMV like those PS1 era games with video files. Figured since they wouldnt let me shoot anything but the tires, it was precanned over real life footage. OF course, after 10 playthroughs it doesnt look like real life footage, and I can clearly see the compromises made during gameplay, but at the time i was in a state of disbelief. And I had spent three years arguing that photorealism was possible on this console generation. Just a remarkable demo.

I also love how 1080p didnt hurt its overall presentation. Their TSR solution is good enough. Even in the open world. Thats why it bothers me to see so many Sony devs target native 4k 30-50 fps. Just settle for 1080p with good AA and good upscaling techniques and it will still look next gen. 60 fps and higher resolutions can come with mid gen consoles or on PC.

Sosokrates

It's a fine looking game overall. At least on PC, but compared to Halo 4 which was arguably the best looking game on the 360 and on par with the best Sony had to offer, it doesnt look like a big enough leap. Maybe it is due to being open world on a 1.3 tflops GPU hampered by an ESRAM implementation or maybe the best talent from 343i left after shipping Halo 4, but man it looks very off compared to other open world games from Ubisoft, Sony, Rockstar and even Coalitions' Gears 5 which had several open world levels but looked incredible on the x1.

One thing I will give Halo infinite credit for is the simplicity and readability of the environments. There was a thread on era about HFW's assault on the senses graphics where this Giantbomb writer explains why its so hard to keep track of enemies in HFW, and as much as I was triggered by someone calling my favorite graphics of the gen UGLY, i have to agree. It's too much detail especially during combat and that lack of detail might actually be helping Halo Infinite look more pleasing than it probably should.

Cyberpunk has a similar problem too. Too much detail. Too many neon lights especially on ray traced lighting everything casting secondary lights, its amazing looking but also too much of a strain on the eyes. RDR2 is the perfect compromise between high fidelity visuals and environmental readability.

Why are u arguing with that infinite is not state of the art? I knows it not, I said it ain't.

It's funny that people latched on to my infinite mention like leeches. I also mentioned UC4 but no one talks about that lol, despite it also not being state of the art...

SlimySnake

Why are u arguing with that infinite is not state of the art? I knows it not, I said it ain't.

It's funny that people latched on to my infinite mention like leeches. I also mentioned UC4 but no one talks about that lol, despite it also not being state of the art...
I was agreeing with you……

Sosokrates

I was agreeing with you……
I just don't understand why you give your opinion on infinites visuals when that wasn't the point I was making.
I mean I still admire BOTW's visuals, but technically it's complete shit compared to modern stuff, but that is not the point..

SlimySnake

I just don't understand why you give your opinion on infinites visuals when that wasn't the point I was making.
I mean I still admire BOTW's visuals, but technically it's complete shit compared to modern stuff, but that is not the point..
I was trying to point out why the game looks aesthetically pleasing like you said DESPITE the lack of detail. Hence the HFW comparison.

Sosokrates

it doesnt look like a big enough leap.

but man it looks very off compared to other open world games from Ubisoft, Sony, Rockstar and even Coalitions' Gears 5 which had several open world levels but looked incredible on the x1

I mean your free to say these things, but my annoyance comes from that it has nothing to do with what I said.
I used infinite to prove a point that even games that are not considered state of the art, can still give a pleasing visual experience on current gen machines.
I said this because someone said that people are upset by cross gen games and that's how I look at cross gen games. I want to be more impressed by better visuals the XSX + ps5 are capable of, but cross gen games are still a pleasurable experience visually imo, if people don't agree that's fine, but that must suck for them.

I like the look of halo infinite - but it is not a graphical showcase by any stretch of the imagination.

GOW and the LOU 1 remake also haven’t wowed me, horizon clearly has the best human models we’ve seen. Ratchet and clank overall is still the best looking game at this point - and that bothers me. I thought that would just be the start. Nothing I’ve seen any previews of for this generation, literally no upcoming game, has passed that level of graphics, and we’re two years into the gen - extremely disappointed.

SlimySnake

I mean your free to say these things, but my annoyance comes from that it has nothing to do with what I said.
I used infinite to prove a point that even games that are not considered state of the art, can still give a pleasing visual experience on current gen machines.
I said this because someone said that people are upset by cross gen games and that's how I look at cross gen games. I want to be more impressed by better visuals the XSX + ps5 are capable of, but cross gen games are still a pleasurable experience visually imo, if people don't agree that's fine, but that must suck for them.
Its a discussion my man. Why would i reply to you and simply regurgitate what you said? I agreed with halo and several times in my post gave halo credit for its visuals but there is another discussion here which is what you were replying to. That halo doesn’t look next Gen. i was elaborating on both points. You don’t have to agree with them both.

Sosokrates

Its a discussion my man. Why would i reply to you and simply regurgitate what you said? I agreed with halo and several times in my post gave halo credit for its visuals but there is another discussion here which is what you were replying to. That halo doesn’t look next Gen. i was elaborating on both points. You don’t have to agree with them both.
Well it's just missing the point I was making, I mean if u want to change the subject to talk about infinites visuals, fine, but don't quote me when doing so please.

I brought up halo (and uncharted) not discuss there visuals, but to tell a separate point, I could of used several other games like quantum break, gears 3, ratchet and clank ps4, alien isolation etc etc. However yourself and others choose to talk about and rate infinites visuals. That's fine but just nothing to do with what I said.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nah it was a fake account. Looks like we'll be stuck with cross gen mediocrity for the foreseeable future😅

Disappointment level increasing. My PS5 is collecting dust and my Series X is acting as a lamp. This damn generation...

aBXVrIW.jpg

alloush

Yep. that first switch to gameplay was simply too much. I actually spent the entire 5 minute section shooting at tires thinking it was an FMV like those PS1 era games with video files. Figured since they wouldnt let me shoot anything but the tires, it was precanned over real life footage. OF course, after 10 playthroughs it doesnt look like real life footage, and I can clearly see the compromises made during gameplay, but at the time i was in a state of disbelief. And I had spent three years arguing that photorealism was possible on this console generation. Just a remarkable demo.

I also love how 1080p didnt hurt its overall presentation. Their TSR solution is good enough. Even in the open world. Thats why it bothers me to see so many Sony devs target native 4k 30-50 fps. Just settle for 1080p with good AA and good upscaling techniques and it will still look next gen. 60 fps and higher resolutions can come with mid gen consoles or on PC.
Honestly for me, even after over 10 playthroughs I still get wowed and amazed each and every single time I play it. Of course you will start noticing some of the shortcomings but honestly I have never ever been wowed like I was with The Matrix demo, never a game made me jump up off my seat like that EVER.

I totally agree with the bolded part, man. They need not spend resources on native 4K res, there are a lot of awesome upscaling methods that make the picture look as good if not better than native chief among them dlss.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I hope u take that lamp off when your XSX is on.

Why? Do you think these holes at the top serve a purpose? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My PS5 has had more time logged playing KNACK this summer than any other game. My son beat the game just the other day and decided to play it again on hard because there is nothing else to play. Knack.

Knack....

namztaes-sad.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

BTW, the next AC is cross gen. It's basically a DLC of AC Valhalla.

It's insane to me that AC Unity came out a year after the launch of PS4, but 2 years after the launch of PS5, we are getting a new last gen game announced for the 3rd year of next gen.

This is a failure of Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer. They embraced the cross gen nonsense themselves instead of setting an example for third party devs who are always greedy and want to exploit the last gen audience as much as they can. This time around, these publishers saw first party publishers follow suit and decided to go from 1 year delay to fucking 3 year delay. These two idiots are out there spending billions on needless acquisitions when they simply couldve offered to pay up the difference of potential lost revenue from a lack of last gen sales. Almost 80% of sales today are next gen only. Have MS and Sony cut them a check for the remaining 20% as a write off. Game sales are down massively because no one is buying this last gen trash. Had these games been next gen and doing things we've never seen done before, the demand wouldve been higher.

All this PS+ Premium and Gamepass nonsense of paying god knows how many millions to buy last gen content when they couldve simply offered that money to keep the third party publishers happy and produce next gen games for their next gen consoles. I remember both Sony and MS used to do this with marketing deals for early gen games. They would invest in the marketing in exchange for an awe-inspiring expensive next gen looking game in order to split the costs, and thus the risk.

sinnergy

BTW, the next AC is cross gen. It's basically a DLC of AC Valhalla.

It's insane to me that AC Unity came out a year after the launch of PS4, but 2 years after the launch of PS5, we are getting a new last gen game announced for the 3rd year of next gen.

This is a failure of Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer. They embraced the cross gen nonsense themselves instead of setting an example for third party devs who are always greedy and want to exploit the last gen audience as much as they can. This time around, these publishers saw first party publishers follow suit and decided to go from 1 year delay to fucking 3 year delay. These two idiots are out there spending billions on needless acquisitions when they simply couldve offered to pay up the difference of potential lost revenue from a lack of last gen sales. Almost 80% of sales today are next gen only. Have MS and Sony cut them a check for the remaining 20% as a write off. Game sales are down massively because no one is buying this last gen trash. Had these games been next gen and doing things we've never seen done before, the demand wouldve been higher.

All this PS+ Premium and Gamepass nonsense of paying god knows how many millions to buy last gen content when they couldve simply offered that money to keep the third party publishers happy and produce next gen games for their next gen consoles. I remember both Sony and MS used to do this with marketing deals for early gen games. They would invest in the marketing in exchange for an awe-inspiring expensive next gen looking game in order to split the costs, and thus the risk.
But Sony believes in generations 🤣😆

Sosokrates

Why? Do you think these holes at the top serve a purpose? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

namztaes-sad.gif
They are there to expell hot air.
I put my XSX in the tv cabinet which had an open back and about 2inch free above it, but it got hot like that and the fan would get louder, when the xsx is open to the air it was silent.

So just trying to give u advice, but if you dont want to take it fine, no big deal, i dont care.

Sosokrates

As long as I get buildings reflecting out of their ass and flying like in this gif, im willing to settle for a lack of upgrade in character models.

tumblr_py0m4g1eIg1sb6epfo5_r1_500.gifv

If base PS4 can do this then surely a GPU with roughly 8x more power can do the above.

ML2Fnw2.gif

The first pic reflections remind me of Shadows falls shiny building.

Sosokrates

This may of already been posted.

But it may give us a taste of whats to come this gen, smoke, particle and light effects all look a step above last gen.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

What looks a step above? Is there some new ps5 gameplay you posted?
I think the smoke effects, and particle effects looks better. This. The lighting quality looks good.
This gen increase in visuals may be more subtle, higher environment detail like TLOUremake and superior fluid simulations and effects, like the smoke and sparks in dead space and returnal.

I think the smoke effects, and particle effects looks better. This. The lighting quality looks good.
This gen increase in visuals may be more subtle, higher environment detail like TLOUremake and superior fluid simulations and effects, like the smoke and sparks in dead space and returnal.
I'm asking which game are you talking about?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Expecting this real time ASAP

For current gen cutscenes? Sure; TLOU Pt.1 has elevated my expectations for what is possible for real time cutscenes.

Typical gameplay? Jury is still out for me.

I want TLOU 3 to match this

Again, based off of what was accomplished in TLOU Pt.1, I expect environments, animation, and lighting to roughly match this. I expect character models to look slightly better with the exception of the eyes; those eyes in the trailer were God-tier.

Hunnybun

This may of already been posted.

But it may give us a taste of whats to come this gen, smoke, particle and light effects all look a step above last gen.

I agree. This looks really good to me, and clearly better than anything last gen. It might be the first thing I've seen that looks to be a similar fidelity to Ratchet, albeit a totally different style.

Sosokrates

For current gen cutscenes? Sure; TLOU Pt.1 has elevated my expectations for what is possible for real time cutscenes.

Typical gameplay? Jury is still out for me.

Again, based off of what was accomplished in TLOU Pt.1, I expect environments, animation, and lighting to roughly match this. I expect character models to look slightly better with the exception of the eyes; those eyes in the trailer were God-tier.
I doubt it, those asset look really high resolution and high geometry plus full path traced lighting.
These CGI videos are made with server farms over days.

Some cherry picked shots may look similar. But everything is ramped up to the max in these CGI demos, it like the equivalent of a Gameboy Vs a PS5 difference in terms of computing power.

Top Bottom