• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Sagii86

Well it doesn't seem to be an open world so there is that, we have yet to see any combat or more than like 3 character on screen at any one time.
Could be focused on a single environment/biome.

Making it a small game could also be what allows them to use the very latest tech, more dangerous to use new bug filled stuff when the project is small enough you can work around and easily find all the bugs.

The engine is capable of the same fidelity at much, much bigger scale. Covid delayed many projects.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can believe that 1943 will look quite approximate to the trailer.
But it raises some interesting questions, doesn't it?

How does Skydance, a new, ragtag team with no prior titles visually outdo everyone in the game at the moment? Might it be that graphics are not the leading cause of ballooning game development? What will the gameplay be like? Will the visuals come with contemporary design and mechanics? Is it possible to have the crazy visuals and boundary-pushing gameplay for this gen?
Amy Henning didnt hire the shittiest artists and designers lol. She probably got the cream of the crop.

The matrix was done by a total of 80 people in 8 months. Again, a lot of them were hollywood artists from CG studios. It comes down to talent. 50 devs over at Amy working on a linear game with no bloat is going to look better.

A lot of games nowadays are too bloated. Everything not only has to be open world but also needs to be 100-200 hours long. FF7 looks like this at times. Well, why make 30 mini games instead of focusing on quality control? Why did it need to be a 100 hour game? The rocks in this game are NOT bad looking at all. It's just that there are way too many of these instances where stuff breaks down and that isnt on the artists who drew the rocks or imported from quixel megascans or whatever. Games are just too bloated for devs to go in and review each rock, each nook and cranny.

GJYfqYebEAADizU

Gameplay is where most of the time is spent anyway. There was an ND artist/designer who did a breakdown of the museum level in TLOU2. It took him 18 months of iteration to get it done. Not because he spent 18 months creating assets for the level but because it kept going back and forth with designers, director and other people in the team and it was literally being iterated upon and changed for 18 months. I understand no one wants to see their first draft get published, but i see way too many hands and no one to tell the devs to stop and get shit done. And btw, that museum level had no gameplay. you just walk around for 15 minutes looking at dinosaurs and a space shuttle. no combat, no setpieces, no boss fights, no puzzles. nothing. and it took 18 months. The same amount of time it took them to make the 2 two train chapters in uncharted 2.

A lot of these studios are run by hipsters who dont want managers or producers and do whatever the fuck they want. Thats how Valve is run and they have made one game in the last 13 years. You need people to go in and say enough is enough and who knows maybe Amy has someone like that. Square Enix needed someone who saw plans for 30 mini games and went on a tirade trashing and publicly shaming everyone for these retarded ideas. And it goes the other way too, you have ninja theory taking 5 years to make an 8 hour game. A game that will likely have 5 hours of walking if its anything like the first. There has to a middle ground between 100 hour games or 8 hour campaigns. I think Spiderman 2 was perfect. 15 hour campaign, 5 hours of open world side content and another 5 to platinum. GOW, FF16, and even Ghost of Tsushima were just way too long at 50-60 hours. Make games shorter and they wont take 5 years and $200 million to make.

Last edited:

Lethal01

There are many projects, smaller and bigger. Open world and linear.

I know Aaron and some of the devs, about 30-50.

And this is an animated series, very different than an open world game.

Are you arguing that a smaller scale non open world game doesn't generally require less resources than a large scale open world one like GTA6?
I'm not saying its the only factor at all but the question was simply why can a smaller team make a better looking game than a bigger one.

And them making a smaller less gameplay focused game would be a factor now just like it was with Hellblade and The Order.

But again, we really don't know much about this game, for all I know the next trailer shows mindblowing large scale fights in sprawling cities.
But right now we just have a tight cutscenes.

Last edited:

Sagii86

And this is an animated series, very different than an open world game.

Are you arguing that A smaller scale non open world game doesn't generally require less resources than a large scale open world one?
I'm not saying its the only factor at all but the question was simply why can a smaller team make a better looking game than a bigger one.

I'm not arguing. There are things I've seen and props I did inside unreal.

Toots

Gold Member
Im i the only one finding weird, reading some stuff here, that Amy Hennig, who for me was always more on the artistic side of game making than the technical one, suddenly became some kind of female Mark Cerny after 1943's presentation ?
Don't get me wrong i hope that the game will really look like that and all, but why would she be more reliable than any other dev, apart from the crazy stuff i read here ?
From some takes here i can easily see her going "Developper Assemble!" when she gathered her "cream of the crop" team of super devs

Lethal01

I'm not arguing.

Then we agree that being a smaller more focused games would obviously be a factor of why they can make something that people think looks better than GTA6 despite having a fraction of the team, cool.

Not the only factor ofcourse, but the one that jumps out to me when people ask questions like "Why doesn't GTA6 look as good as this animation made by 10 guys". The tech and team are both also great aswell.

Last edited:

JCreasy

I guess other developers are too focused and stuck with their existing workflows and tools that they can't easily make proper use of new tech so easily.

This. This right here. I feel this is the biggest impediment to progress.

That’s why I want to do the unthinkable a force the use of Unreal Engine 5 on Sony first party IF they’re existing engine can’t match or beat what UE 5 produces.

SlimySnake

Im i the only one finding weird, reading some stuff here, that Amy Hennig, who for me was always more on the artistic side of game making than the technical one, suddenly became some kind of female Mark Cerny after 1943's presentation ?
Don't get me wrong i hope that the game will really look like that and all, but why would she be more reliable than any other dev, apart from the crazy stuff i read here ?
From some takes here i can easily see her going "Developper Assemble!" when she gathered her "cream of the crop" team of super devs
Amy henning directed the 3 uncharted ps3 games. Widely considered the best looking games on the PS3.

She didnt sit there stitching together the Naughty Dog engine. She just had real hollywood talent at her disposal hired by Jason Rubin in the early 2000s along with the Ice Team over at ND in charge of literally helping the rest of the gaming industry learn the ins and outs of the cell architecture.

Here she is doing the same. Relying upon talented artists to achieve her vision. And thanks to UE5, her artists dont have to sit there waiting for their engineers to add support for all these fancy features. Epic's engineers do that for them. So Amy and her team can focus on creating the game instead of creating the engine. Its no different from all those guys on youtube creating those fancy UE5 demos. Here she has 50 devs creating those levels while also building a game around them. UE5 was supposed to streamline game development after all.

GermanZepp

Amy Henning didnt hire the shittiest artists and designers lol. She probably got the cream of the crop.

The matrix was done by a total of 80 people in 8 months. Again, a lot of them were hollywood artists from CG studios. It comes down to talent. 50 devs over at Amy working on a linear game with no bloat is going to look better.

A lot of games nowadays are too bloated. Everything not only has to be open world but also needs to be 100-200 hours long. FF7 looks like this at times. Well, why make 30 mini games instead of focusing on quality control? Why did it need to be a 100 hour game? The rocks in this game are NOT bad looking at all. It's just that there are way too many of these instances where stuff breaks down and that isnt on the artists who drew the rocks or imported from quixel megascans or whatever. Games are just too bloated for devs to go in and review each rock, each nook and cranny.

GJYfqYebEAADizU

Gameplay is where most of the time is spent anyway. There was an ND artist/designer who did a breakdown of the museum level in TLOU2. It took him 18 months of iteration to get it done. Not because he spent 18 months creating assets for the level but because it kept going back and forth with designers, director and other people in the team and it was literally being iterated upon and changed for 18 months. I understand no one wants to see their first draft get published, but i see way too many hands and no one to tell the devs to stop and get shit done. And btw, that museum level had no gameplay. you just walk around for 15 minutes looking at dinosaurs and a space shuttle. no combat, no setpieces, no boss fights, no puzzles. nothing. and it took 18 months. The same amount of time it took them to make the 2 two train chapters in uncharted 2.

A lot of these studios are run by hipsters who dont want managers or producers and do whatever the fuck they want. Thats how Valve is run and they have made one game in the last 13 years. You need people to go in and say enough is enough and who knows maybe Amy has someone like that. Square Enix needed someone who saw plans for 30 mini games and went on a tirade trashing and publicly shaming everyone for these retarded ideas. And it goes the other way too, you have ninja theory taking 5 years to make an 8 hour game. A game that will likely have 5 hours of walking if its anything like the first. There has to a middle ground between 100 hour games or 8 hour campaigns. I think Spiderman 2 was perfect. 15 hour campaign, 5 hours of open world side content and another 5 to platinum. GOW, FF16, and even Ghost of Tsushima were just way too long at 50-60 hours. Make games shorter and they wont take 5 years and $200 million to make.
I like how Cloud is standing like "Take a look at this fucking ugly wall of rock" :messenger_beaming:

mrMUR_96

Well it doesn't seem to be an open world so there is that, we have yet to see any combat or more than like 3 character on screen at any one time.
Could be focused on a single environment/biome. There seems to be an obvious enough difference between something like it and GTA6

Making it a small totally new game could also be what allows them to use the very latest tech, more dangerous to use new bug filled stuff when the project is small enough you can work around and easily find all the bugs and don't need to incorporate carious system that you already spent years making for prequel game.

And ofcourse, it may be their first game with that team name but I expect the devs have tons of other work under their belt, it's not like they are some indies, but much like the videos of single dudes making an amazing looking demo in a tiny room they just aren't aiming for something nearly as hard to achieve great fidelity on as something like Assassins Creed.
The cover art suggests some sort of Wakanda biome too, but yeah we really don't have much info on this yet.

SlimySnake

My god. I just put this on my 65” QD-OLED and now I wish Guerrilla would stop making crappy open world games just for one little detour in Vekta.
You can play KZSF on PS5 at 1080p 60 fps. Trust me, you dont want GG going back to it. Its awful.

Do you have an hyperbole inside your pocket or you are just happy to see me?
you do this all the time in this thread. lol post some ps3 or early ps4 gen game to shit on modern games.

now you've met your match.

This. This right here. I feel this is the biggest impediment to progress.

That’s why I want to do the unthinkable a force the use of Unreal Engine 5 on Sony first party IF they’re existing engine can’t match or beat what UE 5 produces.
whats funny is that better tools were all the rage last gen with devs saying how easy it is to create foliage, trees and other procedurally generated levels. Then instead of using that to ship games faster, they decided to make 100 hour games and took twice as long. Just switching to PBR materials saved them a lot of time. yes, realtime GI, shadows and reflections help them save even more time than last gen, and so will nanite, but im sure devs will simply use that time saved to make even bigger and longer games.

Radical_3d

You can play KZSF on PS5 at 1080p 60 fps. Trust me, you dont want GG going back to it. Its awful.
Nobody was more upset than me with the end of KZ3 but maybe it’s time to let new blood take a shot to it. A new perspective with new people. Maybe even a soft reboot barely the same scenario but a complete different story and some ideas added to the gameplay.

As for SF if I wanted to play at 1080p 60 I’d play a “next gen” game, thank you, sir.

GymWolf

you do this all the time in this thread. lol post some ps3 or early ps4 gen game to shit on modern games.

now you've met your match.

whats funny is that better tools were all the rage last gen with devs saying how easy it is to create foliage, trees and other procedurally generated levels. Then instead of using that to ship games faster, they decided to make 100 hour games and took twice as long. Just switching to PBR materials saved them a lot of time. yes, realtime GI, shadows and reflections help them save even more time than last gen, and so will nanite, but im sure devs will simply use that time saved to make even bigger and longer games.
You had to pick an innocent joke to get that out of your system? We get it dude, you are still salty about dogma2, it's ok, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you lose even worse:messenger_blowing_kiss:

And i never post pics of old games, at best i say that modern games do nothing new, and you fucking said the same multiple times like when you posted that ghost recon post about destruction, gimme a break :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sorry, dogma2 still remain unimpressive as fuck and saying that kz2 looks better than most games out there is more exagerated than everything i ever said combined, but nice try 🕺

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You had to pick an innocent joke to get that out of your system? We get it dude, you are still salty about dogma2, it's ok, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you lose even worse:messenger_blowing_kiss:

And i never post pics of old games, at best i say that modern games do nothing new, and you fucking said the same multiple times like when you posted that ghost recon post about destruction, gimme a break :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sorry, dogma2 still remain unimpressive as fuck and saying that kz2 looks better than most games out there is more exagerated than everything i ever said combined, but nice try 🕺
I aim to please.

GymWolf

I actually was just playing this last night.

Looks really good for a game from 2009 but come on, it can't touch anything released over the past like 10 years.
How the fuck do you play this game outside of having a ps2 or with the dogshit sony streaming server you have with the high tier plus?

I would love to try the game again...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

How the fuck do you play this game outside of having a ps2 or with the dogshit sony streaming server you have with the high tier plus?

I would love to try the game again...
the footage is from the RCPS3 emulator on PC. your 4080 can easily brute force all those PS3 games at 4k 60.

Some games like MGS4 require powerful CPUs but you should be fine with your setup.

Last edited:

GymWolf

the footage is from the RCPS3 emulator on PC. your 4080 can easily brute force all those PS3 games at 4k 60.

Some games like MGS4 require powerful CPUs but you should be fine with your setup.
I'm too noob and lazy to set up an emulator, if i remember well they are pretty complicate to optimize.

SlimySnake

I'm too noob and lazy to set up an emulator, if i remember well they are pretty complicate to optimize.
its just a download and install. you then select the game and run it. the trick is to find the game files but that discussion is banned here.

i tried several motorstorm games but they had visual glitches and other issues so i never bothered again.

Toots

Gold Member
Amy henning directed the 3 uncharted ps3 games. Widely considered the best looking games on the PS3.

She didnt sit there stitching together the Naughty Dog engine. She just had real hollywood talent at her disposal hired by Jason Rubin in the early 2000s along with the Ice Team over at ND in charge of literally helping the rest of the gaming industry learn the ins and outs of the cell architecture.

Here she is doing the same. Relying upon talented artists to achieve her vision. And thanks to UE5, her artists dont have to sit there waiting for their engineers to add support for all these fancy features. Epic's engineers do that for them. So Amy and her team can focus on creating the game instead of creating the engine. Its no different from all those guys on youtube creating those fancy UE5 demos. Here she has 50 devs creating those levels while also building a game around them. UE5 was supposed to streamline game development after all.
Thanks for the insight.
I went to her wikipedia and was surprised to see she started in the industry as an artist and animator.
I think because, along with great graphics, uncharted was praised for having "screenplay" quality story with big hollywood style set pieces, and she wrote the game maybe that's why i thought she was a screenwriter by trade.

Anyway i hope what they showed is real !

SlimySnake

BTW, several AAA studios with a history of producing insane visuals are using UE5 and we should see their games this E3.

Crystal Dynamics - Next tomb raider has been in dev since 2020 and is using UE5.
CD Project - Witcher 3 is using UE5. In Dev since 2021
Coalition Games - Next Gears of War started dev in 2020 and is using UE5.
Sony Bend - New IP is a GaaS game but is likely using UE5 since Days Gone was done on UE4.
Iron Man - EA motive studio behind Dead Space is making an AAA Iron Man game on UE5 instead of Frostbite. Mass Effect is also rumored to be running on UE5 but thats ways away.

I think we will see a lot of games look like 1943 come E3 this summer. The first crop of UE5 games were mostly done by b or c tier studios.

Also came across this stunning UE5 game. its an MMO but not gonna lie it makes Dragons Dogma 2 feel last gen. Crazy that they can support this many players while running at this level of fidelity.

SlimySnake

Making dogma2 looking obsolete is not the right way to hype a trailer buddy :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
lol watch the trailer and tell me what you think. the lighting is so good in those open world fields. ive been waiting for this cg quality lighting all gen.

P.S i was watching ghost of tsushima's DF review yesterday to do a comparison with rise of ronin, and man that game looks dated as fuck and absolutely jaw dropping other times. we had these schizo games last gen too. Game looks phenomenal when it doesnt have to render too much in the distance and when they use fog and incredible volumetric effects to block out the draw distance. but then in other areas, you can see how low quality the tree LODs become. i thought this jackly and hyde phenomenon Horizon FW, FF16, Starfield and FF7 Rebirth but its surprising to see so many sony exclusives take the same shortcuts.

Xtib81

BTW, several AAA studios with a history of producing insane visuals are using UE5 and we should see their games this E3.

Crystal Dynamics - Next tomb raider has been in dev since 2020 and is using UE5.
Sony Bend - New IP is a GaaS game but is likely using UE5 since Days Gone was done on UE4.
Iron Man - EA motive studio behind Dead Space is making an AAA Iron Man game on UE5 instead of Frostbite. Mass Effect is also rumored to be running on UE5 but thats ways away.

Man, I can wait to see what CD projekt can do with UE5. The witcher 4 is gonna look nuts, not to mention cp2077's sequel. I think it's reasonable to expect photorealism for the latter since it will probably not be out until next gen.

GymWolf

lol watch the trailer and tell me what you think. the lighting is so good in those open world fields. ive been waiting for this cg quality lighting all gen.

P.S i was watching ghost of tsushima's DF review yesterday to do a comparison with rise of ronin, and man that game looks dated as fuck and absolutely jaw dropping other times. we had these schizo games last gen too. Game looks phenomenal when it doesnt have to render too much in the distance and when they use fog and incredible volumetric effects to block out the draw distance. but then in other areas, you can see how low quality the tree LODs become. i thought this jackly and hyde phenomenon Horizon FW, FF16, Starfield and FF7 Rebirth but its surprising to see so many sony exclusives take the same shortcuts.
yeah i saw some pics of ronin that look more detailed than tsushima, not super surprised after 6 years.

Tsushima had the strong art design doing the heavy lifting because graphic wise it wasn't exactly top class.

I think we will see a lot of games look like 1943 come E3 this summer. The first crop of UE5 games were mostly done by b or c tier studios.

Also came across this stunning UE5 game. its an MMO but not gonna lie it makes Dragons Dogma 2 feel last gen. Crazy that they can support this many players while running at this level of fidelity.

Bend doesn't seem to be using Unreal for their next game but the Decima. David Jaffe also said that they were using the engine from Guerrilla.

GymWolf

We know that bend bleeded talents compared to when they did days gone so i'm less hyped for their next game in term of graphic, especially if they are using an engine they are not familiar with.

GJYfqYebEAADizU

I agree with everything you say except for Rebirth. If any game DID need to be massive and with lots of mini games it is Rebirth. I mean the scope of what they had to cover is massive so oy makes sense. I've also changed my mind about the graphics of that game. I think they look good for the scale and scope.bb

Top Bottom