• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Edder1

Some parts of Outlaws trailer looked impressive, others less so. Easily looks better than last gen or cross gen open world games. Facial animations and detail aren't that impressive, but compared to last gen Ubisoft open world games they're a big upgrade. I know people aren't impressed by latest cutscenes, but at least Ubisoft games look identical in gameplay. Overall this is a solid looking game, but nothing mind blowing to see here.

1943 is still the graphical king, but we're yet to see if there will be downgrade and how it looks visually in gameplay.

Last edited:

setoman

Its a shame but maybe this is console footage and the PC unobtanium setting will look closer to the first trailer.
I'm sorry but this is clearly a Watchdogs/The Division/Wildlands/Siege/Avatar level downgrade.

Everything from the character rendering, skin shading, global illumination, shadowing, asset quality, asset density, reflections, volumetric rendering, physics (wind), texture resolution, material/shader quality.

Have all been severely downgraded.

I suggest you guys watch the original raw footage reveal on gamersdyse website.
If I have free-time I would post some comparison pictures.
Its literally night and day. Literally, with the level of GI downgrade.

As ChiefDada ChiefDada said, the GI was one of its biggest pro and now its gutted.
It actually looks WAYYYY worse than Avatar.

Last edited:
its funny. I wouldnt even put Ryse, Infamous, Shadowfall or the order in my top 10 or even top 20 graphics of last gen. Even if we disregard all the cross gen games released after 2020.

These are great looking games that have stood the test of time, but by the end of the gen, we had devs who had taken graphics to another level.

Not counting cross gen PS4 games on PS5, here is my top 20 for last gen. in no particular order. All games i think that look way better than Ryse.

• TLOU2
  • RDR2
  • Horizon ZD
  • Anthem
  • Uncharted 4
  • Batman AK
  • Detroit
  • Death Stranding
  • GOW 2018
  • AC Unity
  • Days Gone
  • RE2
  • Control
  • AC Origins
  • GT Sports
  • Witcher 3
  • Until Dawn
  • Spiderman
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • DriveClub
And since 2020, id replace at least half of these games with current gen titles.
Where is The Order 1886? Wow.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And this SlimySnake is why I still have downgrade conversation. SWO went from a current-gen game to a run of the mill last gen looking ubisoft game. Completely disgusting downgrade.

Heck the downgraded version looks worse than Jedi Survivor
I never said you cant have the downgrade conversation. You guys were stifling the 1943 discussion because of the prospect of a downgrade. That we are gullible or stupid to fawn over those graphics. I have been saying Star Wars would get downgraded since the day it was revealed. Through out last year when the Avatar downgrade discussion was taking place, i said star wars will be the one that will be downgraded instead. What i dont do is mock or belittle people for enjoying graphics in a graphics thread.

I am pretty sure i had said that if the downgrade happens, we can discuss it when it does happen. Just no point shutting down discussion because we are afraid of a potential downgrade.

And this is my full quote where I specifically stated that the game would be downgraded, that it looked too good to be true and even brought up volumetric effects which were clearly the things that were downgraded. I even pointed out that its probably running on a 4090 and required black bars even on that beast of a GPU so the downgrade was very likely. Not sure why you felt the need to remove all the context.

it will be downgraded and yes, its being rushed but avatar was very polished. probably the most polished game last year outside of FF16.

the overall visual fidelity will be very close to this. but i suspect those final few shots of the cities are going to see the biggest downgrades. they look too good to be true.

giphy.gif

the wind effects were present in avatar, but the volumetric effects are way beyond what i saw in avatar. avatar also has no cities with this many npcs and just little huts.

the biggest concern i have is that they used black bars during gameplay a la hellblade 2 and the order. and while that would be ok if they showed console footage, they refused to say what they were running this on so this is likely running on a 4090 which is almost 3.5x more powerful than the ps5. if they needed a card that powerful just to run it at native 4k and still needed black bars to reduce the graphics load by 40% then yes, there are going to be doubts.

I wasnt too fussed about the Avatar downgrade because they showed PS5 footage running at 4k fsr 2 quality. so 1440p. Back then i said that they will just reduce the resolution instead of removing RTGI and reducing foliage quality and thats exactly what they ended up doing. In fact, the game goes up to 1800p and down to 1296p internally so it actually improved in some ways from that trailer. But this is running on PC so who knows.

i guess we will find out in 3 days.

GymWolf

Small downgrade. Mostly in volumetric effects and cutscenes dont look as good but other than that, it didnt get your typical Ubisoft downgrade.

Her character model can definitely be better.

Another game that is gonna be smashed by a 2(3?) yeard old crossgen title.

Hopefully ac red got ALL the budget.

Well at least the protagonist is kinda cute, but i already see the usual black stronk women with masculine haircut and the villain is yet another white male, after all the scandals of sexual harassment at ubisoft i expect the full DEI starter pack in this game.

Last edited:

Piggoro

People legit forgot the existence of that trailer lmao. Everyone kept posting the gameplay reveal every time i talked about the downgrade.

She looks good but last gen compared to 1943.

Callisto, AW2 and FF16 character models look better too. Hell, even Spiderman 2 which was rightfully trashed here for last gen character models looks better than this star wars model in some cutscenes.

F_WRgl9W0AAvFjl
F0ztowoXwAA4MMG

JKLN3ej.gif
F9GO3oLWEAAUalX

ke967rGLWq3CSBC5P9Ryq6.png
F90PlMGWMAAH9m1

Massive isnt a cinematic focused studio like Sony studios so thats expected, but it could definitely be better.
Where's the last shot from?

SABRE220

Small downgrade. Mostly in volumetric effects and cutscenes dont look as good but other than that, it didnt get your typical Ubisoft downgrade.

Her character model can definitely be better.

That is not a small downgrade, its a brutal one, its not just the volumetrics, everything from the shading to textures has been scaled back significantly. It didn't blow me away even at the reveal and now it just looks underwhelming, the lighting looks flat, low res textures and the character shadowing is terrible. Basically everything that made it look current genish has been stripped and it just looks like a typical underwhelming cross gen/last gen game now.

SlimySnake

Until dawn above the order. WTF is this list !? Lmao.

Until Dawn is divisive but the character models were near photorealistic especially if you knew actors like Hayden Panetrrie and Rami Malik before they became famous. It also has way more areas/levels than the order which was like 3.5 hours of unskippable cutscenes and a total of maybe 4 full levels. But like i said, its divisive and if you want to take that out, there are still several games id put above it like FF15, Metro Exodus (PC), and BF1. All games doing far more ambitious things than just corridor graphics for maybe 2 hours worth of gameplay content.

We look at games like infamous, kzsf, order and ryse with that tint of nostalgia but if you go back and play them you will start to see their flaws, and begin to appreciate just how much better the late gen titles really were last gen. let alone games this gen which the person compared to Ryse saying he doesnt think anything looks better.

Where's the last shot from?
Spiderman 2. He's carnage. In one scene in the game and looks better than the main characters lmao.

That is not a small downgrade, its a brutal one, its not just the volumetrics, everything from the shading to textures has been scaled back significantly. It didn't blow me away even at the reveal and now it just looks underwhelming, the lighting looks flat, low res textures and the character shadowing is terrible. Basically everything that made it look current genish has been stripped and it just looks like a typical underwhelming cross gen/last gen game now.
i agree that it looks flat, and that volumetrics and shadows took a hit, but im not seeing a massive division/watch dogs/rainbow six level of downgrade here. its still the same game. im sure it will have RTGI, reflections and shadows like Avatar and will look better on our screens just like avatar did.

Regardless, Massive's reputation just took a massive hit. They basically threw away all the goodwill they had earned from Avatar.

SABRE220

Until Dawn is divisive but the character models were near photorealistic especially if you knew actors like Hayden Panetrrie and Rami Malik before they became famous. It also has way more areas/levels than the order which was like 3.5 hours of unskippable cutscenes and a total of maybe 4 full levels. But like i said, its divisive and if you want to take that out, there are still several games id put above it like FF15, Metro Exodus (PC), and BF1. All games doing far more ambitious things than just corridor graphics for maybe 2 hours worth of gameplay content.

We look at games like infamous, kzsf, order and ryse with that tint of nostalgia but if you go back and play them you will start to see their flaws, and begin to appreciate just how much better the late gen titles really were last gen. let alone games this gen which the person compared to Ryse saying he doesnt think anything looks better.

Spiderman 2. He's carnage. In one scene in the game and looks better than the main characters lmao.

i agree that it looks flat, and that volumetrics and shadows took a hit, but im not seeing a massive division/watch dogs/rainbow six level of downgrade here. its still the same game. im sure it will have RTGI, reflections and shadows like Avatar and will look better on our screens just like avatar did.

Regardless, Massive's reputation just took a massive hit. They basically threw away all the goodwill they had earned from Avatar.
I mean its the same game but its a gen worth of scaling back in fidelity. You really went in hard on horizon for being a brutal downgrade from the reveal and this at least as bad.

Xtib81

Some people liked their Avatar game, but I'm waiting for the next AC to really see what a next-gen Ubisoft can do. I really miss the spectacle that was AC Unity on release.
AC red is our last hope. If they fuck this one up, we won't get anything breathtaking from Ubi this gen, but I remember reading that they have massively invested in the AC franchise moving forward and it's supposed to be THE flagship + it has been in development for a while so there's hope.

SlimySnake

I mean its the same game but its a gen worth of scaling back in fidelity. You really went in hard on horizon for being a brutal downgrade from the reveal and this at least as bad.
Nah, I think HFW downgrade is worse, but we will see come launch when we have direct 1:1 comparisons of those same areas.

I do agree it looks far more gamey and less CG than it did before. Its like they turned off RT.

H . R . 2

AC red is our last hope. If they fuck this one up, we won't get anything breathtaking from Ubi this gen, but I remember reading that they have massively invested in the AC franchise moving forward and it's supposed to be THE flagship + it has been in development for a while so there's hope.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it will only be, at best, as visually good as Unity
because it's reportedly a return to the RPG elements and we know RPG means a massive empty mediocre-looking world with level-gating and zero parkour

I’m always wondering if at Ubisoft a team of 1500 people works on the 15min gameplay vertical slice and then 300 people for the rest of the game, so the 1200 that remains can work on the next E3 trailer.

Just like so many other Ubi titles Outlaws went from “Holy shit” to “ah, another video game” in 2 trailers time for me.

SlimySnake

I’m always wondering if at Ubisoft a team of 1500 people works on the 15min gameplay vertical slice and then 300 people for the rest of the game, so the 1200 that remains can work on the next E3 trailer.
Until critics and tech journos like digital foundry decide call them out on this, this will continue to happen. Look at DF fawning all over spiderman 2 and avatar doing dev interview after dev interview but never bringing up the original reveals of either game.

But they have to treat devs with kids gloves because they might get offended and ghost them. Who cares about integrity when you can get direct access to devs?

H . R . 2

given how much smaller and more tightly controlled this game is as opposed to Fifa,
this could have been a lot better, especially in terms of character models...a shame really

Last edited:

Edder1

given how much smaller and more tightly controlled this game is as opposed to Fifa,
this could have been a lot better, especially in terms of character models...a shame really

That looks horrendous. They're basically reusing Top Spin 4 animations and game logic (a game from two generations ago) while also having outdated last gen visuals. Such low effort stuff.

Last edited:

JCreasy

Super curious what the final verdict for Hellblade 2 will be. I don’t own an Xbox so I’ll have to wait for the potential PS5 release, but I need the visuals to succeed for the greater good of graphics performance.

The Star Wars trailer today has been utterly demoralizing.

Unreal Engine 5 has shown the most promise. We just need a dev to successfully push it to it’s fullest potential.

I HOPE 1943 delivers.

amigastar

Super curious what the final verdict for Hellblade 2 will be. I don’t own an Xbox so I’ll have to wait for the potential PS5 release, but I need the visuals to succeed for the greater good of graphics performance.

The Star Wars trailer today has been utterly demoralizing.

Unreal Engine 5 has shown the most promise. We just need a dev to successfully push it to it’s fullest potential.

I HOPE 1943 delivers.
Same, the game rose up from "oh another Marvel game" to "wow this looks amazing graphically" Next gen stuff.

Last edited:
Doesn’t look like the reveal - it looks good don’t get me wrong, but the reveal has a cgi quality this does not have - what changed? The lighting? Animation? I’m confused as to what it is cus the assets seem to be mostly the same quality
Seems like GI, textures, volumetrics, motion blur, character poly count and more.

SlimySnake

I am reading a Massive blog post on Avatar's ray tracing. They post one of these every few weeks with developer interviews and are very tech focused.

They talked about how ray tracing immediately helped them render more accurate GI, shadows and reflections not just up close but far into the distance which was necessary for a big open world like avatar. They also talked about how ray tracing helps the artists by immediately updating the lighting as they put assets into the game since there is no baking involved.

Talked about how rtgi automatically updates the lighting as the level is covered in fog or during cloud cover in a very systematic way without much intervention. they did have to fake or rather boost lighting at night because the artists complained it was too dark at night.

the biggest take away from the blog is that they think this is only the beginning and need more than the one ray bounce to get even better lighting. They basically said Path tracing is what they are after.

All of this is to say that i think they might have been using Path Tracing to render the first reveal trailer for Star Wars and are now back to RTGI, and all of a sudden the lighting just feels flat even in cutscenes, that thick cg feel the volumetric effects added are MIA just like all the volumetric effects. the very first shot of the trailer is devoid of any volumetric effects whatsoever when the first trailer was full of them. the interiors have a really baked feel to the lighting. Cyberpunk and Star Wars interiors feel much better. I honestly think this might be the smoking gun. they went from path tracing to traditional ray tracing.

Here are some quotes and screenshots.

Sunlight that filters through the vast canopy of trees, a door that opens to let light into a dark RDA hangar, shadows cast from the AMP suits therein – lighting plays a big role in bringing the moon of Pandora to life in Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, and Ray Tracing has enabled more realistic lighting than ever before. Learn more about how Ray Tracing in Snowdrop has helped the teams create the most immersive environment possible.
“It’s a huge world, which means that you can see far, especially from high vertical positions. This means that we need to support very distant rendering and we need to give it a lot of care,” explains Quentin.

Compared to The Division 2, which was also built on Snowdrop but before current gen enabled Ray Tracing, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora saw a lot of work going into supporting different lighting effects from a high distance, which presents light sources that allows distance processing volumetric lighting.
With the previous probe-based global illumination, small objects and details didn’t have any effect on the global illumination. However, thanks to the new system which works on a per pixel basis, all the objects in the world and every small detail can have an influence on the lighting.

This also connects to the weather system on Pandora. For example, when it’s foggy, some light will be obscured, and the fog itself uses Ray Tracing to indirect light, creating a systemic interaction.

“The systems kind of feedback on themselves. If the sky is completely clouded, you get less direct light from the sun, making the environment darker. It’s all connected,” says Oleksandr, and adds that one of the challenges they have faced in the past is light shining into interiors, which has been a difficult problem to solve.
“With Ray Tracing, if an artist moves an object, it will instantly update the lighting. This means that artists can create windows and objects and instantly see what it will look like in-game for the players,” explains Quentin.
“What we are doing right now is basically tracing rays from the surface of objects into random directions. If we hit something, we hit something. But in that sense, it’s limited since the light won’t bounce indefinitely. What I think will be our next technological step for our future titles is “Path Tracing”: shooting rays which bounce and bounce and bounce. At the moment we are still working on solving some challenges, but it looks promising and it’s definitely something that we want to keep pushing,” says Quentin.

afop_raytracing_merged.jpg

afop_raytracing_ruins_1280x720.jpg

afop_raytracing_hometreenight_1280x720.jpg

I am reading a Massive blog post on Avatar's ray tracing. They post one of these every few weeks with developer interviews and are very tech focused.

They talked about how ray tracing immediately helped them render more accurate GI, shadows and reflections not just up close but far into the distance which was necessary for a big open world like avatar. They also talked about how ray tracing helps the artists by immediately updating the lighting as they put assets into the game since there is no baking involved.

Talked about how rtgi automatically updates the lighting as the level is covered in fog or during cloud cover in a very systematic way without much intervention. they did have to fake or rather boost lighting at night because the artists complained it was too dark at night.

the biggest take away from the blog is that they think this is only the beginning and need more than the one ray bounce to get even better lighting. They basically said Path tracing is what they are after.

All of this is to say that i think they might have been using Path Tracing to render the first reveal trailer for Star Wars and are now back to RTGI, and all of a sudden the lighting just feels flat even in cutscenes, that thick cg feel the volumetric effects added are MIA just like all the volumetric effects. the very first shot of the trailer is devoid of any volumetric effects whatsoever when the first trailer was full of them. the interiors have a really baked feel to the lighting. Cyberpunk and Star Wars interiors feel much better. I honestly think this might be the smoking gun. they went from path tracing to traditional ray tracing.

There's something weird going on with the Snowdrop RTGI on the release versions of the games. The release version RTGI just looks severely downgraded compared to the reveal trailers. It doesn't even look like RTGI at all to be honest. And with the recent Outlaws trailer I'm sure it's gonna be an Avatar situation all over again. The reveal trailer had some really good looking lighting, then the second trailer showed a crazy downgrade, and the release obviously looked like the last trailer.

Compare that forest screenshot to these shots from the reveal trailer of Avatar lmao, doesn't even look like the same game.

f2.png

f3.png

Sem-T-tulo.png

And I wouldn't say it's a path traced vs ray traced situation because UE5 Lumen can already replicate these visuals. They probably crank up the RT settings for the reveal trailers and then somehow manage to downgrade literally the main aspect that makes the games look that good.

Last edited:

afop_raytracing_merged.jpg

afop_raytracing_hometreenight_1280x720.jpg
This has to be it - Because it’s not like the models and stuff are different, they just don’t look as good due to the lighting

CGNoire

Some really cool subtle clothing details. Def better than JS...(sucks seems gaf is recompressing these a bit and its loosing fidelity on that ultra soft pant material. Head over to gamer syde to zoom in on the original image.)
KKRhqO3.jpg

Absolutely loving all the loose thread and scuffs. Best clothing shaders ive seen in realtime hands down. I posted a similar image of the loose threads on the robots coat here after the release of the original trailer.

Last edited:
This has to be it - Because it’s not like the models and stuff are different, they just don’t look as good due to the lighting
Sure, but what caught my eye in the first place wasn't the flat lighting, but the incredibly basic animations. The animations were so damn good in that reveal trailer, especially in that cut scene with the trader.

So I'm very curious if that scene is in the game at all or if it was just something tailor made for the presentation. In the last case I don't want Digital Foundry or some journalist to go after Ubisoft, but the fucking EU for false advertisement.

And sure, the defense would be that game development is an ever changing thing, but at least remove that reveal trailer from your channel if it can't live up to the game anymore. Shit has got to stop.

H . R . 2

The captain America black panther game and gta 6 are (to me) the only WOW that is next Gen looking things on the horizon. Death stranding 2 also looks good

This gen is such a letdown. Where are the Sony first parties man
Sony hasn't been playing its cards close to its chest, because there were simply no cards to begin with. Jim Ryan's GaaS policies set Sony back a good few years
now they are just playing catch-up. Sony's first-party support has been abysmal. first Ratchet and Clank [which nobody asked for], then cross-gen titles labeled as next-gen, now the rumoured, highly anticipated Astrobot,...
if Sony fails to reveal some proper next-gen titles this May/June, its reliance on third-party titles and GTA6 is going to be its demise, in the long run.

The captain America black panther game and gta 6 are (to me) the only WOW that is next Gen looking things on the horizon. Death stranding 2 also looks good

This gen is such a letdown. Where are the Sony first parties man
HB2 has actually delivered current generation visuals and its out next month. Those other titles have it all to prove as another game (Outlaws) suffers another downgrade.

IDWhite

p7paDA2.png

I don't see that huge downgrade that people are claiming here. It seems they only change lighting intensity and temperature. Lighting, shaders, models, AO, SSS... All still at the same quality as before.

I'm not going to draw a conclusion until I play the game and make more exhaustive comparisons, but for now it doesn't seem like the game has a downgrade.

EDIT: changed image for more accurate comparison

Last edited:

SlimySnake

p7paDA2.png

I don't see that huge downgrade that people are claiming here. It seems they only change lighting intensity and temperature. Lighting, shaders, models, AO, SSS... All still at the same quality as before.

I'm not going to draw a conclusion until I play the game and make more exhaustive comparisons, but for now it doesn't seem like the game has a downgrade.

EDIT: changed image for more accurate comparison
They took this shot from the original trailer.

If you compare frame by frame both trailers in that same scene you will see that they do not look exactly the same. They have subtle differences in lighting and color grading, which suggests that they belong to different builds.
Need more comparisons to make a decision either way but my initial thought was it had been downgraded.

Sure, but what caught my eye in the first place wasn't the flat lighting, but the incredibly basic animations. The animations were so damn good in that reveal trailer, especially in that cut scene with the trader.

So I'm very curious if that scene is in the game at all or if it was just something tailor made for the presentation. In the last case I don't want Digital Foundry or some journalist to go after Ubisoft, but the fucking EU for false advertisement.

And sure, the defense would be that game development is an ever changing thing, but at least remove that reveal trailer from your channel if it can't live up to the game anymore. Shit has got to stop.
Ya I noticed the animations too - and choppy framerate stuff.

I was looking on resetera a bunch of those guys are claiming the reveal was never stated to be anything but pre-rendered CGI during the cutscenes and the gameplay portion was the only thing we should compare it to. But I seem to remember them saying it was all in game

mrqs

If you compare frame by frame both trailers in that same scene you will see that they do not look exactly the same. They have subtle differences in lighting and color grading, which suggests that they belong to different builds.
That shot looks close enough, but there are dozens of scenes that look downgraded.

JCreasy

what do we think?

I thinks DF lurks this thread 😂

Addressed a lot of my concerns directly, it seems.

Validates that earlier character rendering from 2019 was sub par, but believes they’ve solved.

He kept showing that same shot I was concerned with. It does look better in his footage, so maybe it was a compression issue.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thinks DF lurks this thread 😂

Addressed a lot of my concerns directly, it seems.

Validates that earlier character rendering from 2019 was sub par, but believes they’ve solved.

He kept showing that same shot I was concerned with. It does look better in his footage, so maybe it was a compression issue.

It's a game that seems to very heavily rely on post-process, youtube compression is probably a real killer here.

DanielG165

I know 30fps is 30fps, but Ninja Theory really appeared to have every last ounce of hardware performance out from the Series X will Hellblade 2. The visuals, even with YouTube’s horrific compression, look absolutely bonkers, and I can’t imagine how they’ll translate to a native experience when the game is finally released, no annoying compression to muddy them. Pushing this game even further on PC at 60fps is going to be nuts as well.

Just as a fan of hardware and graphics in general, it’s nice to see a game that finally showcases what the SX hardware is capable of when taken full advantage of. No other performance modes, Ninja Theory just went straight graphical fidelity prioritization at the cost of frame rate. Though, with a slower paced game like Hellblade, it should balance itself out. Give us more games like this; I want to continue to see what this hardware can do when properly squeezed.

Top Bottom