• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Meanwhile, here is Street Fighter 6. Gymwolf's Graphics GOTY.

BruisedLateIndianelephant-max-1mb.gif

6ff310yadn391.gif
Yeah big difference but I doubt Tekken 8 will actually look like this trailer even if it's running in real time on ps5. Time and time again we've had devs show off their real time trailers. The games never quite look as good than what the trailers show. Tekken 8 does look amazing though. Btw- it's usually not just down to the camera angles being slightly different or not having a HUD, it's usually IQ difference. Devs get a pass on this all the time because gamers chalk it up to "well it looks close enough" even though that's not the case if you really get down to brass tacks. For example Last of Us 2 e3 2018 demo. The final game definitely resembled it but on close inspection there's a huge difference in how good the facial models are. Or like Uncharted 4 being 60 fps but final game is 30. We know Tekken 8 will be 60 but maybe the resolution will take a hit. There will be a hit taken somewhere.

GymWolf

Meanwhile, here is Street Fighter 6. Gymwolf's Graphics GOTY.

BruisedLateIndianelephant-max-1mb.gif

6ff310yadn391.gif
I know you are disperate trying to find a narrative where tekken 8 model are nowhere near nextgen stuff so i'm gonna forget the fact that i never spoke positively about sf6, like even remotely:lollipop_grinning_sweat::lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Current CG will always be ahead of current Real time stuff, until both mediums reach the limit and then there will be no difference at all…but yeah Tekken 8 looks like CGI…it looks like the pre rendered trailers you would get a few years ago…super high quality all around…these consoles are capable of pre rendered looking real time stuff, they just need the proper engines.. Look at Spiderman Miles Morales, Ratchet, HFW, TLOU II, TLOU I Remake, Flight Simulator…The Matrix Awakens…these show high levels of fidelity…

Edit: Love Death and Robots has been matched with Both Unity Real time demos and The Matrix Awakens (Sort of)…late gen games will be mind blowing…look at the calisto protocols face models…its a glimpse into possibilities!

Do you have any example of games that beat this thing? A low budget netflix show? (Because i'm not even gonna bother with top tier cg)

I think we just have different meaning of the word cg, you probably think at the lowest quality cg while think at the top tier (just for the record, this example is nowhere near top tier cg, the type you can't even tell it's cg))

We also surpassed toy story 1 cg but that is not impressive anymore so saying that it looks like cg is a too-wide concept.

It looks like shit tier, low detail cg, maybe, yeah.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I am watching some of the Tekken 7 CG cutscenes and they've come very close to matching that level of fidelity. I cant say for sure if they are there yet since its just one level, and rain hides a lot of imperfections, but i would love to see their fog and smoke effects.

Found some tumblr gifs. God this game looks awesome.

cc3e109edd43c9f461e627cc15bf3122c358f75d.gifv

5f0b7cd08162f42d5f53a65724118dea3e18e961.gifv

2d7faaca246c18222a9f57c3ec372f9272b025ba.gifv
If there muscles flex like that in real time that's impressive, it looks like dorian yates kinda muscle contraction.
The best muscle contractions we got last gen was kratos in GOW, but he wasn't as ripped and grainy like this Tekken guy.

Mobilemofo

I expect dilution of the regular fidelity. And by that I mean, 1440p /45fps/50fps etc. It's all about balance isn't it..as it always is with console hardware. Ps5 is certainly very capable.

alloush

I played that demo for like 25 hours last year lol.

I think what this video shows is that it's not just a tech demo. It's the real thing with a lot of open world systems already implemented. It's not a cutscene. It's completely playable and interactive. There is no trickery here. The only thing thats missing is NPC death animations and some people shooting guns at you, but ive seen demos of people flying into cars and having them get thrown half way across the map because all the physics are there. It's as real as it gets.

The Rush Hour video below just showcases how absolutely mind blowing this game looks and feels. It's not just how photorealistic it looks, it's the fact that the game logic can handle what seems like tens of thousands of cars on screen at once.

I have seen this video before and it is just amazing what that demo brings to the table. A lot of people are underrating and underestimating that demo and what it means for the future of gaming. DF went on an hour long analysis analyzing the shit out of that demo and they said they never thought such level of fidelity and tech would be something they would see in 2022 and on the current consoles.

I have never been wowed by a game/demo in my entire life like I was with this demo even during the late 90s early 2000s when I was still a kid and could perceive any graphics as realistic and the diminishing returns were not even there yet meaning any improvement to graphics was a magnitude of infinite and I still was never wowed and mindblown by graphics like I was with The Matrix.

Thats a cool comparison and there is definitely some significant upgrades in the matrix.
I know this is a graphics thread, but with a game like GTA, visuals are not high on the agenda of improvements.
After a while of playing you are not going to be thinking about about the visuals that much. This gen I would vastly prefer improving the world simulation, open worlds (and other genres) are basically the same as GTA3 in terms of the simulation, its time for improvement in that area, realistic NPC's alone would be revolutionary. Even basic interactions are as fake as shit.
I hear you man and I agree with this statement, I, too, want to see huge leaps in those departments. I want an open world game with endless possibilities and the ability to enter almost every building in the game, and have endless stuff to do, and everything you do is real time and not pre-determined and your actions affect the world, and super smart NPCs etc.

Sosokrates

I have seen this video before and it is just amazing what that demo brings to the table. A lot of people are underrating and underestimating that demo and what it means for the future of gaming. DF went on an hour long analysis analyzing the shit out of that demo and they said they never thought such level of fidelity and tech would be something they would see in 2022 and on the current consoles.

I have never been wowed by a game/demo in my entire life like I was with this demo even during the late 90s early 2000s when I was still a kid and could perceive any graphics as realistic and the diminishing returns were not even there yet meaning any improvement to graphics was a magnitude of infinite and I still was never wowed and mindblown by graphics like I was with The Matrix.

I hear you man and I agree with this statement, I, too, want to see huge leaps in those departments. I want an open world game with endless possibilities and the ability to enter almost every building in the game, and have endless stuff to do, and everything you do is real time and not pre-determined and your actions affect the world, and super smart NPCs etc.
In real life even simple occurances are incredibly dramatic. I suppose its a natural evolution from RDR2, that game made some progress in something as simple as greeting people, npcs would say hi, or snarl at you if they didnt like you. I hope GTA6 takes this even further, for example bin men wave at you and have realistic and lively animations during emptying the bins and having banter with there work mates, cops have the guns pointed at a crackhead dancing and waving a machete about and when one cop shouts "drop the fucking knife nowwwww!!" You can see the wrinkles in his face compress when he shouts and sweat is pouring down his forehead glisining in the sun, you approach him and he looks at you and shouts "sir GET BACK:" , then the crackhead swings his blade and slices an officers arm there is blood bursting out his arm, both officers fire several shots killing the crackhead, as this happen a women is screaming going histerical, a female officer is yrying to calm her down.

Its stuff like that which would be a real next gen leap. plus everything you said.

alloush

In real life even simple occurances are incredibly dramatic. I suppose its a natural evolution from RDR2, that game made some progress in something as simple as greeting people, npcs would say hi, or snarl at you if they didnt like you. I hope GTA6 takes this even further, for example bin men wave at you and have realistic and lively animations during emptying the bins and having banter with there work mates, cops have the guns pointed at a crackhead dancing and waving a machete about and when one cop shouts "drop the fucking knife nowwwww!!" You can see the wrinkles in his face compress when he shouts and sweat is pouring down his forehead glisining in the sun, you approach him and he looks at you and shouts "sir GET BACK:" , then the crackhead swings his blade and slices an officers arm there is blood bursting out his arm, both officers fire several shots killing the crackhead, as this happen a women is screaming going histerical, a female officer is yrying to calm her down.

Its stuff like that which would be a real next gen leap. plus everything you said.
Man that's some really detailed stuff I loved it:messenger_beaming:.

I would love to see NPCs walking in groups, a group of 3/4/5 people walking together, chatting and stuff, jogging, running together cracking jokes. It is always 1 or at most 2 NPC/s together I think in RDR2 I once saw 3 and that's about it. I want the NPCs to feel lively and dynamic, be random and not feel scripted, see them entering/exiting buildings, going to grocery stores or barber shop, be active you know!

Seeing how the NPCs in RDR2 were hella praised I suspect Rockstar will take this even further in GTA6 and I cannot wait to see what they do with it.

Kenpachii

Ai is the next real advancement. We have all suffered immersion breaking dumb as fuck ai in games. When they make significant progress in this area, games will advance. All good having the graphics, but if your enemy is thick as shit, what's the point? 😄

As game reviewers can't even beat a pidgeon worth of brains, u doubt we will see ai advancements. It probably gets downgraded.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah big difference but I doubt Tekken 8 will actually look like this trailer even if it's running in real time on ps5. Time and time again we've had devs show off their real time trailers. The games never quite look as good than what the trailers show. Tekken 8 does look amazing though. Btw- it's usually not just down to the camera angles being slightly different or not having a HUD, it's usually IQ difference. Devs get a pass on this all the time because gamers chalk it up to "well it looks close enough" even though that's not the case if you really get down to brass tacks. For example Last of Us 2 e3 2018 demo. The final game definitely resembled it but on close inspection there's a huge difference in how good the facial models are. Or like Uncharted 4 being 60 fps but final game is 30. We know Tekken 8 will be 60 but maybe the resolution will take a hit. There will be a hit taken somewhere.
Yeah, everything gets downgraded, but the starting point is much higher so even if there is a downgrade, it will still look a gen ahead of SF6.

thats why I was so blown away by Avatar last year. yes, it was inengine (not realtime), yes its just a cinematic, yes its ubisoft so it will get a massive downgrade, but even after say a watch dogs style downgrade, it would look better than all of the games released so far this gen. Besides, its the under the hood enhancements to the AI and SSD are what will likely prevail despite a graphical downgrade.

And yes, as gamers we need to be far more critical of downgrades even if they are by our favorite developers. I caught so much flack for even mentioning TLOU2's downgrades to enemy character models and especially motion matching on era. People got mad at ME and im like I am not responsible for the downgrade. Accusations of concern trolling and lazy dev rhetoric flew and essentially forced people like me to either flee era, get banned or simply shut their mouths. This is why I like gaf. Mods wont automatically ban you from criticism of first party AAA devs. No one is a protected species.

As game reviewers can't even beat a pidgeon worth of brains, u doubt we will see ai advancements. It probably gets downgraded.
I thought about this and came to the same conclusion. Its not just reviewers, games need to target a much wider audience. Thats why I hope the AI enhancements are made not just to enemies but also NPCs fighting alongside you and civilians patrolling the street. I remember everyone losing their shit at throwing a brick at an enemy back in 2012. We need more of that kind of dynamic AI interaction.

Falc67

I am watching some of the Tekken 7 CG cutscenes and they've come very close to matching that level of fidelity. I cant say for sure if they are there yet since its just one level, and rain hides a lot of imperfections, but i would love to see their fog and smoke effects.

Found some tumblr gifs. God this game looks awesome.

cc3e109edd43c9f461e627cc15bf3122c358f75d.gifv

5f0b7cd08162f42d5f53a65724118dea3e18e961.gifv

2d7faaca246c18222a9f57c3ec372f9272b025ba.gifv
This trailer is honestly insane. I don’t know how anyone can be underwhelmed by it. That transition to gameplay. 🔥🔥🔥

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a week. RE4 and GtA6 both last gen. The graphical fidelity of games made by Two of the most talented studios will likely be held back until 2027-2030 or whenever they are able to release a new next Gen only title.

NT80

SF6 is also cross gen. Tekken 8 isn't.
SF6 still looks good though and actual gameplay has been shown and played. T8 hasn't really been show in a playable form yet.

I just finished playing Metro Exodus yesterday, man what a game. I was initially drawn in because of the console enhanced edition which boasts multi-bounce RT global illumination and somehow those crazy bastards managed to pull it of at 60 FPS which is just nuts. The game is absolutely gorgeous and the lighting is breathtaking.

I remember Jon Peddie saying that a proper RT implementation can be "felt" rather then just eye pleasing which sounded weird but I understand where he's coming from. RT Global Illumination is such a cool feature and I hope more games will try implementing it, it even streamlines the development process since developers don't have to waste time and effort baking in light maps (which requires good accuracy as well).

The 4A developers stated that they are well underway on developing the next Metro game and that it'll be a next-gen exclusive and that they're completely overhauling their graphics engine. I'm really excited to see what they can cook up.

Last edited:
Do you have any example of games that beat this thing? A low budget netflix show? (Because i'm not even gonna bother with top tier cg)

I think we just have different meaning of the word cg, you probably think at the lowest quality cg while think at the top tier (just for the record, this example is nowhere near top tier cg, the type you can't even tell it's cg))

We also surpassed toy story 1 cg but that is not impressive anymore so saying that it looks like cg is a too-wide concept.

It looks like shit tier, low detail cg, maybe, yeah.

I don't get your point.

But if this is your example of "games" then we need to rethink the meaning of the word "games".

But yeah, this is what i would accept as "it looks like cg"
I never said games surpassed it…I said Unity DEMOS (I know you asked for games but really not to many come close)…and the Matrix Demo..they are Real time and maybe better in some ways…as far as games, only HFW (face models), TLOU I Remake (face models) and The Matrix Awakens come close…I’ll have to see how The Callisto Protocol face models stack up.

Haggard

Banned

10X the power and still far behind what you can do with Pre rendered CGI.
It's almost like expecting pre rendered level graphics in real time is silly and just gets in the way of enjoying what you actually have.

this demo was friggin exciting. FINALLY, a glimpse into the future with real time cloth/water/dust/smoke/mechanics-simulations. I know I know we`ve all seen it before somewhere, but it`s still far from becoming the norm, especially all at once in combination with RT :)

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I think graphics like that will take more then a midgenrefresh.

It will take for more gens. It's not only the fidelity on display but the interactivity is what's blowing my mind.

Creating a beautiful but baked and static world can be done on current gen.

This is something else.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

It's almost like expecting pre rendered level graphics in real time is silly and just gets in the way of enjoying what you actually have.

Seriously, enough with the moving goalposts. If this trailer dropped last week without context, you would've said it was pre rendered. Most of this trailer is photorealistic, period. I don't understand why it's sooo taboo for some of y'all to admit this.

And? CGI will always be ahead technically until both realtime and CGI hit the limit…but the fact is we have reached CGI like visuals in pure realtime…The Matrix Awakens demo is a playable preview…

Lethal01

If this trailer dropped last week without context, you would've said it was pre rendered.

And I'm guessing your only evidence for this is the fact that you would make that mistake right? Thus everyone has your shitty eyes? Don't be a fucking idiot and start literally pulling shit out your ass.
Goalposts aren't being "moved" just because we reached the goal that you personally set.

This looks absolutely fantastic, I just wish some people could just admit we are still far away from CGI from this decade.
This looks like an amazing Video game, but "photorealistic"???

nvidia-racer-rtx-4k-ray-traced-screenshot-003.jpg
nvidia-racer-rtx-4k-ray-traced-screenshot-002.jpg

Nah

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Seriously, enough with the moving goalposts. If this trailer dropped last week without context, you would've said it was pre rendered. Most of this trailer is photorealistic, period. I don't understand why it's sooo taboo for some of y'all to admit this.
You´re too fast with that p-word.
It´s uncanny valley as in you can clearly see that it`s rendered but you can`t immediately point with your finger as to what`s wrong that makes you notice it.
A giant leap, but not "photorealistic".

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Cyberpunks "next gen" ps5/series x upgrade looks like utter crap compared to Cyberpunk on a 3080/4000 series ...and it's RT mode is unplayable at 30 fps anyway. Can't believe after waiting so long they couldn't at least get some low res RT reflections up and running on these consoles.

I
If we dont get something to wow us soon, the current gen consoles were maybe a bit premature tech wise.
Or maybe should of gone down a more customized path in order to achieve better RT performance. It may of had some negative development implications but it would be paying off now, especially to the hardcore.

And I'm guessing your only evidence for this is the fact that you would make that mistake right? Thus everyone has your shitty eyes? Don't be a fucking idiot and start literally pulling shit out your ass.
Goalposts aren't being "moved" just because we reached the goal that you personally set.

This looks absolutely fantastic, I just wish some people could just admit we are still far away from CGI from this decade.
This looks like an amazing Video game, but "photorealistic"???

nvidia-racer-rtx-4k-ray-traced-screenshot-003.jpg
nvidia-racer-rtx-4k-ray-traced-screenshot-002.jpg

Nah
You’re saying that CGI’s definition is photorealistic? This looks like CGI period. Photorealistic in a few parts yes…

Lethal01

You’re saying that CGI’s definition is photorealistic? This looks like CGI period. Photorealistic in a few parts yes…
No, I'm responding to a claim from Dada that "THIS TRAILER" is photorealistic.

Also no, this gaem does not look like pre-rendered CGI, not from the last decade or two anyway.

That RC car render looks video game good, but it's absolute ass in the CGI stratosphere. There's hardly anything animating in the fucking frames; Every object in the scene is crazy basic, even then it's not convincing at all in terms of photo realism, and this is a tech demo on a graphics card with a stupid amount of transistors (Good luck seeing this in a retail videogame anytime soon).

VIP and Chiefdada, this is CGI, the real stuff -

At 0:36 seconds, the fucking geometry literally crushes anything tech demo whatever. Look at the amount of moving parts animating, it's not close, period. This was published in 2014!

Last edited:
Top Bottom