• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Lethal01

This game does not look like pre-rendered CGI, not from the last decade or two anyway.
Then what does it look like? Lmao? A ps4 game? Lol. It looks like CGI…period.

unknown.png

If that's the way you wanna go then fine, games have been "CGI like" since ps3

Last edited:
unknown.png

If that's the way you wanna go then fine, games have been "CGI like" since ps3
A few pages back in this thread these guys were literally cherry picking screenshots to compare to the likeness of those CGI videogame trailers as if those shitty looking trailers are the state of art of CGI or something, it's a videogame ad; Those type of trailers have been done for years, did you not see the Gears of War ads back then?

Motherfuckers cherry pick a screenshot then look right pass all the animation that's equally as important to capture the CGI look.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It takes like 10,000tfops hours to render a single modern cgi frame.

I dont really know what im talking about but I believe cgi is made in a fundamental different way to real-time video game graphics.

realtime is getting close, but god knows what compute power they are using to render it.

TIm Sweeney thinks the movie industry will transition to realtime, which makes sense because its all realtime and probably quicker and cheaper. However they are probably using at least 10x PS5 processing power.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
That RC car render looks video game good, but it's absolute ass in the CGI stratosphere. There's hardly anything animating in the fucking frames; Every object in the scene is crazy basic, even then it's not convincing at all in terms of photo realism, and this is a tech demo on a graphics card with a stupid amount of transistors (Good luck seeing this in a retail videogame anytime soon).

VIP and Chiefdada, this is CGI, the real stuff -

At 0:36 seconds, the fucking geometry literally crushes anything tech demo whatever. Look at the amount of moving parts animating, it's not close, period. This was published in 2014!

The problem is people like you, Haggard Haggard and Lethal01 Lethal01 group CGI creations as a monolith when there are different qualities of CGI art, just as there are vast differences in graphics qualities between video game titles. But a key similarity of all CGI work in comparison to real-time is the render budget being orders of magnitudes greater. So if/when I say current gen consoles and PC have reached CGI quality, I'm not referring to top 1%, state of the art CGI. But the fact they can reach even the bottom quartile of CG quality is impressive again because of the monumental difference in render time.

The problem is people like you, Haggard Haggard and Lethal01 Lethal01 group CGI creations as a monolith when there are different qualities of CGI art, just as there are vast differences in graphics qualities between video game titles. But a key similarity of all CGI work in comparison to real-time is the render budget being orders of magnitudes greater. So if/when I say current gen consoles and PC have reached CGI quality, I'm not referring to top 1%, state of the art CGI. But the fact they can reach even the bottom quartile of CG quality is impressive again because of the monumental difference in render time.
I personally believe you and the VIP motherfucker was intentionally referring to published CGI work. Just using your logic the Xbox 360 and PC hardware back then reached CGI quality if I was to cherry pick screenshots and compare to those old Gears of War ads, it's ridiculous.

Q0wH4mN.png

See how I cherry picked that. It's not even animating and it's still not reaching film CGI or TV show/advertisement CGI; There's a reason why offline publish work has a render budget orders of magnitudes greater, to keep it from looking like a magnitude of straight ass like this.

Haggard

Banned
by that standard we could just compare real time graphics to every crappy CG animated kids show from the 90s and call everything we have today CGI-like........
We´re always comparing what`s possible, and that automatically means top-end. Comparing high end to low end makes no sense and is just counter-intuitive.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I guess don't just use the blanket term "CGI", use a specific example e.g infinity war CGI, 2000s video game CGI, twister movie CGI etc etc
Pretty much this.

Cg is a broad term so every guy has his own idea of cg, me and many other think about top-tier cg, some thing about ps3 cg intro level or low level cg from theCW serial tv and shit.

Although, it should be more logical to compare to top tier cg since that is less of a broad sample (very few movies have cg so good that you can't even notice it)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
by that standard we could just compare real time graphics to every crappy CG animated kids show from the 90s and call everything we have today CGI-like........
We´re always comparing what`s possible, and that automatically means top-end. Comparing high end to low end makes no sense and is just counter-intuitive.

I disagree with you here because of the massive difference in render time, even with low end CGI.

I guess don't just use the blanket term "CGI", use a specific example e.g infinity war CGI, 2000s video game CGI, twister movie CGI etc etc

I often do and still get hammered for it.

Haggard

Banned
I disagree with you here because of the massive difference in render time, even with low end CGI.
Then literally everything is CGI like for you because we've eclipsed some of the crappy saturday morning kids shows from the 90s.

It's absolute and utter nonsense but it does explain a lot.

Last edited:

tygertrip

In real life even simple occurances are incredibly dramatic. I suppose its a natural evolution from RDR2, that game made some progress in something as simple as greeting people, npcs would say hi, or snarl at you if they didnt like you. I hope GTA6 takes this even further, for example bin men wave at you and have realistic and lively animations during emptying the bins and having banter with there work mates, cops have the guns pointed at a crackhead dancing and waving a machete about and when one cop shouts "drop the fucking knife nowwwww!!" You can see the wrinkles in his face compress when he shouts and sweat is pouring down his forehead glisining in the sun, you approach him and he looks at you and shouts "sir GET BACK:" , then the crackhead swings his blade and slices an officers arm there is blood bursting out his arm, both officers fire several shots killing the crackhead, as this happen a women is screaming going histerical, a female officer is yrying to calm her down.

Its stuff like that which would be a real next gen leap. plus everything you said.
Damn, but that is oddly specific!

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

I liked CP2077 for what it was (I mainlined the story on PS5 early this year when the "next gen" (lol) patch hit) and yeah I know they're trying to sell GPU's by using RT GI / Reflections but I can't help feel there's sooo much more they could ramp up in CP2077 before they touch RT or 4k resolution.

The main character models, textures and lighting are the stand out's in the game but how about ramping the NPC amount up by 10x? Creating many more NPC types while improving the quality of them to match the main story characters (Forbidden West level at least) with many more rigged animations and people actually having schedules like Majora's Mask from the year 2000 :p. The city is nice looking but so much of it is "set dressing" so how about going in and even around the main areas making these facades actually enterable and containing collectibles, mini events and side quests to find. You do the above then add all the RT stuff and 4k and 120fps and it would start to rival a Rockstar game.*

*I know this would probably cost another $20 million in development time and they are just trying to sell a new GPU that is sooo ridiculously powerful it has to be seen to be pushing RTl, insane resolutions and framerates. Also some of my suggestions might hit memory / CPU limitations before the GPU anyway.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
And I'm guessing your only evidence for this is the fact that you would make that mistake right? Thus everyone has your shitty eyes? Don't be a fucking idiot and start literally pulling shit out your ass.
Goalposts aren't being "moved" just because we reached the goal that you personally set.

This looks absolutely fantastic, I just wish some people could just admit we are still far away from CGI from this decade.
This looks like an amazing Video game, but "photorealistic"???

nvidia-racer-rtx-4k-ray-traced-screenshot-003.jpg
nvidia-racer-rtx-4k-ray-traced-screenshot-002.jpg

Nah
This gameplay vs CGI argument always comes up in graphics / visual threads and it's just as fucking stupid every damn time.

People play down the current best in game visuals by posting CGI. Some say the game looks better. All hell breaks loose.

There should be a rule that no one posts CGI screenshots / videos in this thread. It's about real time videogame visuals whether "in engine", "photo mode" or "gameplay". End of.

Haggard

Banned
No. I've compared real time graphics with CG from the past few years, namely PS launch commercials. Nothing nonsensical here other than your choice to be perpetually miserable.
Keep on digging. On the other side of the earth there might be someone agreeing with your completely arbitrary logic....

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Just continue digging. Maybe when you pop up on the other side of the earth your retarded and in the truest sense of the word "arbitrary" logic will make sense to someone.

Keep on digging. On the other side of the earth there might be someone agreeing with your completely arbitrary logic....

You replied to my comment from yesterday again today with a virtually identical response. How desperate for attention are you?

There's nothing arbitrary about what I've been saying. Real time graphics have reached a level of modern CG. I'm not saying it's the highest level and I would never say that but even at the lower levels it still takes a large multiple of time to render frames than a console/PC; the render budget delta is much greater than the differences in results. That is my point. Surely you understand this but you've chosen a path of ignorance for reasons I don't care enough to discover.

Haggard

Banned
There's nothing arbitrary about what I've been saying. Real time graphics have reached a level of modern CG. I'm not saying it's the highest level and I would never say that but even at the lower levels it still takes a large multiple of time to render frames than a console/PC; the render budget delta is much greater than the differences in results. That is my point. Surely you understand this but you've chosen a path of ignorance for reasons I don't care enough to discover.
Keep on repeating the same nonsense. Maybe if you do that another 999 times it won't sound like pathetically moving the goalposts as you see fit anymore.
Maybe you'll even convince yourself you're not just just blabbering.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Keep on repeating the same nonsense. Maybe if you do that another 999 times it won't sound like pathetically moving the goalposts as you see fit anymore.
Maybe you'll even convince yourself you're not just just blabbering.

You're the only one here literally repeating yourself, as I pointed out in my previous reply.

Why Are You So Obsessed With Me Mean Girls GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I go away for a few days and this thread is in all out civil war. We are all on the same side here. We want next gen shit from our next gen hardware. No need to start picking sides to create needless drama lol.

People play down the current best in game visuals by posting CGI. Some say the game looks better. All hell breaks loose.
This. It's super weird because Matrix, the Nvidia RC demo, and those Unity lion/blind lady demos have shown just what these consoles are capable of. Of course, we wont ever get CG quality visuals that take literally days to render one frame. I remember reading how a shot of 4 transformers on screen at once fighting a decepticon took them 6 months to render back in 2007. Of course, we are never going to get those in a realtime game running on consumer grade GPUs instead of server farms or whatever supercomputer ILM houses these days.

But we are clearly coming very close and it shouldnt be a death sentence to simply state that Matrix in cutscenes look so fucking good it looks like CG. We are seeing the rooftop scene in the Matrix recreated in realtime on a freaking 10 tflops PS5. Lets just be happy we are seeing this incredible leap in fidelity.

P.S Ratchet looked CG to me. Doesnt mean it looks as good as the latest toy story or transformers or Avatar. It just had that level of fidelity in cutscenes that ive come to associate with Pixar movies. Not 100% of the time, but in some shots, I couldnt believe my eyes and had no choice but to come it to pixar CG. Sometimes you just have to use hyperbole because simply saying it looks amazing is not enough praise.

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

E4YYNktXMAMZ24h

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol I go away for a few days and this thread is in all out civil war. We are all on the same side here. We want next gen shit from our next gen hardware. No need to start picking sides to create needless drama lol.

This. It's super weird because Matrix, the Nvidia RC demo, and those Unity lion/blind lady demos have shown just what these consoles are capable of. Of course, we wont ever get CG quality visuals that take literally days to render one frame. I remember reading how a shot of 4 transformers on screen at once fighting a decepticon took them 6 months to render back in 2007. Of course, we are never going to get those in a realtime game running on consumer grade GPUs instead of server farms or whatever supercomputer ILM houses these days.

But we are clearly coming very close and it shouldnt be a death sentence to simply state that Matrix in cutscenes look so fucking good it looks like CG. We are seeing the rooftop scene in the Matrix recreated in realtime on a freaking 10 tflops PS5. Lets just be happy we are seeing this incredible leap in fidelity.

P.S Ratchet looked CG to me. Doesnt mean it looks as good as the latest toy story or transformers or Avatar. It just had that level of fidelity in cutscenes that ive come to associate with Pixar movies. Not 100% of the time, but in some shots, I couldnt believe my eyes and had no choice but to come it to pixar CG. Sometimes you just have to use hyperbole because simply saying it looks amazing is not enough praise.

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

E4YYNktXMAMZ24h
It absolutely looks like a CG movie.
I am just not sure how much is the RAW TECH and how much is the amazing motion blur animations with characters stretching and emoting like a pixar movie. It really is something quite perfect

ChiefDada

Gold Member

The Office Thank You GIF

Lethal01

There's nothing arbitrary about what I've been saying. Real time graphics have reached a level of modern CG.

This is simply and completely untrue, Realtime graphics can't even come close to the CGI trailer for the games they advertise.
This is true even on the new 4090 much less the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Again, We are "close to modern CGI" in the same fashion the PS2 was close to modern CGI. You could just as easily say the PS2 had visual with CGI like aspects as you can the PS5.

I did not say the entire trailer is photorealistic but much of the scenes do reach that level.

nah

Sometimes you just have to use hyperbole because simply saying it looks amazing is not enough praise.

Hyperbole is fine, When somebody points out that your hyperbole is obviously wrong you can just let it go instead of defending it for no reason.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ratchet's one game that looks CGI-like. It needs a lot of cleverness to get there, but it is there.

The Kingdom Hearts games also lend to this. Someone mentioned Toy Story, well, Kingdom Hearts 3 has a similar looking scene:

Render Engines however do still have an edge: Propetairy shaders, Metropolis Light Transport and (now) Stochastic ray tracing.

Btw since i like research in this field i do have some links of what were firsts in that particular field. Might be worthwhile if you want to do a cross-compare with real time graphics (Or when similar effects were achieved in real time.)

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

E4YYNktXMAMZ24h
Those shots look good to me for a videogame, but in my mind I don't think CGI for a second by looking at them. Also, once you say "Pixar" I'm immediately thinking photorealism; Ratchet's visual style is completely different than what Pixar is doing, the only videogames on the retail market that utilized a lot of Pixar's style was Portal 1 and Portal 2.

But anyway I can still enjoy the visuals of my videogames without comparing them to CGI published work.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Those shots look good to me for a videogame, but in my mind I don't think CGI for a second by looking at them. Also, once you say "Pixar" I'm immediately thinking photorealism; Ratchet's visual style is completely different than what Pixar is doing, the only videogames on the retail market that utilized a lot of Pixar's style was Portal 1 and Portal 2.

But anyway I can still enjoy the visuals of my videogames without comparing them to CGI published work.

But no Pixar movies look even sightly photorealistic (because they're not trying to).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quality is trash but this is still easily the best looking area I've ever seen in a game. This should be the blueprint/standard going forward. When the hell are studios going to top this?

Maybe Guerilla will when they make a proper PS5 game. So, in 4-5 years?

(I hate that all these top devs are releasing cross-gen games, because that means we won't get real next-gen stuff from them until toward the end of the generation.)

angrod14

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

E4YYNktXMAMZ24h

We are at a point where Hollywood could release a CGI movie with exactly this level of fidelity (no more, no less), and no one would complain about visual quality. It's incredible how people take this kind of achievement for granted.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe Guerilla will when they make a proper PS5 game. So, in 4-5 years?

(I hate that all these top devs are releasing cross-gen games, because that means we won't get real next-gen stuff from them until toward the end of the generation.)
Yep. It's a shame that the best studios like ND, SSM and GG have not even shown anything next gen 2 years into the gen. Thats why the lack of an E3 precense and a cancellation of the yearly September Showcase is so disappointing. No one seems to be remotely ready to show stuff let alone release games. We didnt even get Spiderman gameplay a year after reveal or a realtime trailer for wolverine so even Insomniac basically couldnt come up with a simple trailer in a year, and they are like 2 years ahead of everyone else. 2027 is probably going to be when GG, ND, and SSM release their next gen games. Watch Sony and MS milk this gen until 2030 before releasing new consoles.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E7G0ATYWQAERmhy

E4YYNktXMAMZ24h

Yeah I get what you mean.
Some materials and shaders look better in games then some older CGI, but it's difficult to compare because take a film like WALL-e the shaders and materials sometimes look inferior to rift aparts, but the amount of geometry and the fact that every light is path traced shits all over rift apart. CGI from the infinity saga and Alita battle angel shits all over rift apart., But still I kinda agree with you when u say rift apart looks like cgi

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is simply and completely untrue, Realtime graphics can't even come close to the CGI trailer for the games they advertise.
This is true even on the new 4090 much less the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Again, We are "close to modern CGI" in the same fashion the PS2 was close to modern CGI. You could just as easily say the PS2 had visual with CGI like aspects as you can the PS5.

How can you say this and completely write off my position when you have industry professionals saying the same fucking thing? FlippedNormals guys aren't console fanboys, they do CG work for big budget blockbuster movies such as Batman V. Superman and Guardians of the Galaxy. Will you accept their analysis, or are these folks not qualified to speak on it?

Timestamped
"This is where they're just showing... my jaw actually dropped... this looks like full on film quality and I can't tell it's not."

Sosokrates

Yep. It's a shame that the best studios like ND, SSM and GG have not even shown anything next gen 2 years into the gen. Thats why the lack of an E3 precense and a cancellation of the yearly September Showcase is so disappointing. No one seems to be remotely ready to show stuff let alone release games. We didnt even get Spiderman gameplay a year after reveal or a realtime trailer for wolverine so even Insomniac basically couldnt come up with a simple trailer in a year, and they are like 2 years ahead of everyone else. 2027 is probably going to be when GG, ND, and SSM release their next gen games. Watch Sony and MS milk this gen until 2030 before releasing new consoles.
Luckily there are other great Devs which progress in visuals besides those 3, R*,iD, machine games, infinity ward, respawn, the coalition etc. I would not expect those 3 Devs games to be much different in terms of technologies and techniques used. This gen will probably be about, micro geometry in environments, more physics simulations and better lighting.

Sosokrates

How can you say this and completely write off my position when you have industry professionals saying the same fucking thing? FlippedNormals guys aren't console fanboys, they do CG work for big budget blockbuster movies such as Batman V. Superman and Guardians of the Galaxy. Will you accept their analysis, or are these folks not qualified to speak on it?

Timestamped

Yeah with static environments, but compare ue5's fluid simulations and heavy particle effects to the thanos battle.
We ain't getting close to that this gen

We will get close to this, but with only like 10 droids + a few tanks.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah with static environments, but compare ue5's fluid simulations and heavy particle effects to the thanos battle.
We ain't getting close to that this gen

When you say static environments, I'm guessing you're referring to deformation caused by player stimulus. Because although the environment in the Lumen demo was 100% scripted, there was definitely deformation as the rock structures were crumbling during the flight sequence. And the Lumen demo is useful as a benchmark for what we can expect from set pieces this gen; current gen set pieces will run laps around the UE5 demo. Imagine what games with $200m budget look like. I've seen enough demos to avoid making the mistake of underestimating what these new consoles are capable of. It'll be insane.

I don't think your ceiling for what is/isn't possible this gen should be centered around UE5. Different engines will have unique strengths and limitations as it was in prior generations. Clearly Nanite is UE5's ace in the hole. Let's see what studios like Remedy and Housemarque cook up for particle tech by end of generation.

Exactly.

Sosokrates

When you say static environments, I'm guessing you're referring to deformation caused by player stimulus. Because although the environment in the Lumen demo was 100% scripted, there was definitely deformation as the rock structures were crumbling during the flight sequence. And the Lumen demo is useful as a benchmark for what we can expect from set pieces this gen; current gen set pieces will run laps around the UE5 demo. Imagine what games with $200m budget look like. I've seen enough demos to avoid making the mistake of underestimating what these new consoles are capable of. It'll be insane.

I don't think your ceiling for what is/isn't possible this gen should be centered around UE5. Different engines will have unique strengths and limitations as it was in prior generations. Clearly Nanite is UE5's ace in the hole. Let's see what studios like Remedy and Housemarque cook up for particle tech by end of generation.

I didn't state my ceiling for this gen..

There is Destruction in the Voa demo but it's still small potatoes compared to modern CGI. But I agree the rocks look like cgi.
It ain't just particle tech but geometry aswell. In modern CGI there is a very high number of objects which are all very high quality. No doubt this gen will progress with particle effects. We have already seen some progress in this area in rift apart, theres a load of particles and geometry and the smoke effects look better then last gen, but the stuff in CGI is on a whole other level, they can just do more in CGI. consoles are still compute limited compared to the server farms CGI is rendered with.

My fault, my fault everyone, I was tripp'n. That 1738 was making it do what it do. Let's discuss about graphics where it matters the most for me, gameplay.

SZY6x2C.jpg

I couldnt believe my eyes. This looked CG to me. To say otherwise you've chosen a path of ignorance. Sometimes you just have to use hyperbole. It really is something quite perfect. For the players.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If the new Switch specs are correct from the Nvidia leak / insiders (8 core A78C CPU / 12gb RAM @ 100+gb per sec / 1.3tflop handheld + 2.6tflop docked GPU and DLSS 2.0) then I believe Nintendo could create a big budget 3D Mario game that rivals Ratchet visually because they're one of the only teams that rival Insomniac (along with Naughty Dog, SSM and Rockstar) for their industry leading art and animation pipeline.

It's going to be so good seeing Nintendo at last back at the races when it comes to visuals even if everything above is bullshit and it's just the current Switch running games at 4k DLSS when docked because Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Smash Bros Ultimate, Breath of the Wild, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario + Rabbids, Yoshi's Crafted Word, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Splatoon 3 all look absolutely phenomenal at 4k on a PC emulator. Those games were built around a sub 200gflop GPU, 3gb of insultingly slow RAM and a mobile phone CPU from 2015... Imagine what their teams will do with such a leap in technology even if the games still have to run on base Switch for a couple of years like PS4/5 games.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
My fault, my fault everyone, I was tripp'n. That 1738 was making it do what it do. Let's discuss about graphics where it matters the most for me, gameplay.

SZY6x2C.jpg

I couldnt believe my eyes. This looked CG to me. To say otherwise you've chosen a path of ignorance. Sometimes you just have to use hyperbole. It really is something quite perfect. For the players.
I'm playing TLOU remake just now and it's a ridiculously good looking game. Sure it has parts you can cherry pic because it has so much indirect lighting and looks flat at times but my god the game overall is a 10 visually. The leap in facial animation over the original game and it's Remaster is astounding. Probably the best human faces I've seen in a game and because they're stylised you don't get that 'The Quarry' like uncanny valley effect.

Your move Rockstar :p

Top Bottom