• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great interview with Paul Feig about the new Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/paul-feig/41940/paul-feig-interview-ghostbusters-the-web-sony

It's a great read and the interviewer asks some great straight forward questions. Also gives some good back story to how the project started and why he chose to do it after passing at first.

Some blurbs..

What I’d like to do is talk about some of the criticisms that have been aimed at the existence of this project. I do think that the hostility towards the films has clouded what I think are legitimate questions that have been raised about this movie.

100%.

What I wanted to do, then, is to put those questions directly to you. And let’s get those answered.

Please do. And please know: I’ve never said that all the criticism is misogyny.

Let me put another of the main criticisms to you, then. Hollywood is running out of ideas…

They’re not. I would get insulted when people say that because it’s like everything I’ve done has been original. I’ve created shows, my films haven’t been sequels.

It’s a very easy thing to say, and I’m not going to defend Hollywood. Hollywood has got tons of problems. And in segments of Hollywood, there is a lack of originality. I can’t suddenly sit here and go there’s not. But to me, by rebooting this, at least I’m trying to be more original than not. But I cannot defend that I took a pre-existing giant property and rebooted it. It was just too appealing for me.

Next, then: that this Ghostbusters film is just a cash grab.

Let’s be real. Anything ever made by Hollywood is a cash grab. Movies are not funded by the state. They are funded by businesspeople and corporations and people with money, who are trying to make more money. That’s always going to happen.

But then here’s a team of filmmakers who, from that situation, come in and say now we’re going to try and make this good. We’re going to bring in creativity, and art, and passion. And we’re going to take this, and we’re going to be the ones who are going to try and make it good. It’s why we’re always locked in battle with the studio, with executives. I’m not saying studios always have bad notes, but their eye is on making money.

But we’re doing this because we think this is good, and we want to entertain people with it. It’s not anybody’s job to understand and be sympathetic to Hollywood. But cash grab is an invalid thing. Everything’s a cash grab in Hollywood. That’s what they do.

We’ve had quite a lot aimed at the site too, interestingly, by so-called 'meninists’ for some of the material we’ve run. And one such 'meninist' told us – I don’t know if there’s anything to this - that there’s a secret Facebook group that cites certain articles on certain websites. Then, those articles are suddenly flooded with comments.

Oh yeah. It’s crazy.

Just the way that our dislikes on that trailer could be driven up as high as they were that fast? This is not possible. [Editor’s note: this refers to the first Ghostbusters trailer, that has a record number of downvotes on YouTube]

I only actually watched that trailer for the first time properly before this interview. I’ve watched the film, and liked the film. But it’s not a great trailer, is it?

No, no...

EDIT - Dang it, I messed up the thread title, can a mod please fix that?

SpaceWolf

Banned
I had to admit I gained a newfound respect for Paul Feig after reading this interview. He comes across as such a sweet, well-meaning guy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I only actually watched that trailer for the first time properly before this interview. I’ve watched the film, and liked the film. But it’s not a great trailer, is it?

No, no...

We've been going about this all wrong. This Mr. Feig is okay, he's a director.

We’ve had quite a lot aimed at the site too, interestingly, by so-called 'meninists’for some of the material we’ve run. And one such 'meninist' told us – I don’t know if there’s anything to this - that there’s a secret Facebook group that cites certain articles on certain websites. Then, those articles are suddenly flooded with comments.
Lol. That's pathetic.

Anyways, Feig seems like a pretty cool guy. Not sure if I'm gonna like the movie but hey, I'll give it a shot. Shame about that theme though.. uhg

faridmon

Awesome interview and Paul Feig is a great dude who tangled in a real Hollywood mess.
Next, then: that this Ghostbusters film is just a cash grab.

Let’s be real. Anything ever made by Hollywood is a cash grab.

Haha this so true.

Quick

Banned
It's a really thorough (read: long) interview, but well worth the read. I appreciate the honesty and his earnest reasoning to make the movie.

Great interview, seems like a good guy that's very well meaning. Surprised he was so candid about the "meltdown" he had from the backlash:

You’re still a human being, though?

Yeah. And I have such a hatred of bullies. It’s one thing I get really passionate about.

You’re written before about how you were bullied at school, and the impact it had.

Exactly. Most of us in the geek community were bullied. That’s partly why the geek community formed. And so I’m like, who are these people? Me and my geeky friends, we have plenty of opinions, and they are strong opinions. It was always a spirited discussion. But it was never schoolyard bully.

I did read some of the stuff aimed at you.

It was crazy. And the thing is, look, we’re in showbiz. If you go into the public eye, you’re asking for it. I don’t say that’s not true. We’ve got a cool job, we get to put stuff out there, and I take it as part of the gig.

But: I wasn’t ready for it. I wasn’t mentally ready to go back to the playground, and have the worst bullies I’d had at school suddenly in my phone.

...The interview was done a week after I announced the four actresses, and I’d just been getting fucking pummelled. Ugly shit about them, about these wonderful women, and it was personal attacks after personal attacks. And when this guy asked me this question about geeks being so powerful, it was this release of saying there’s assholes out there.

I so regret that I said ‘in the geek community’, because what I know now, having sorted it out, is these are not true members of the geek community.

I still think the movie looks kind of bad, but I'll be there opening weekend. Paul Feig has done a lot of good work over the years and I'd hate to see his career get derailed because his biggest movie to date bombed.

Movies are not funded by the state.

That's hilarious. Weren't Uwe Boll's movies made possible by exploiting some sort of tax breaks?

It’s a very easy thing to say, and I’m not going to defend Hollywood. Hollywood has got tons of problems. And in segments of Hollywood, there is a lack of originality. I can’t suddenly sit here and go there’s not. But to me, by rebooting this, at least I’m trying to be more original than not. But I cannot defend that I took a pre-existing giant property and rebooted it. It was just too appealing for me.
I'm not sure I understand his logic there

That there's more originality in a reboot than a sequel?
Yeah, I don't get that part. Wasn't the potential sequel supposed to be about franchising? I mean that sounds a lot more original than just doing the same kind of movie again with a different cast and time period

Volimar

Why is there an impetus to show respect to a film? The film won't know you saw the reboot.

Yeah, I don't get that part. Wasn't the potential sequel supposed to be about franchising? I mean that sounds a lot more original than just doing the same kind of movie again with a different cast and time period

I don't know. I don't know what the plans were for the future of the franchise before the reboot.

Volimar

Good interview. I hope the movie itself proves stronger than the trailers.

I have a feeling it will. The third trailer was a big improvement on the others. That said, I'm guessing some of the comedy isn't going to be for some of the people that are die hard against the movie before even seeing it, so I'm sure we'll see plenty of "It was shit" posts after the premiere regardless.

Merc_

I still have no interest in supporting what looks like more Hollywood white feminism. I notice how that criticism didn't even come up in the interview. What a shock.

Volimar

I still have no interest in supporting what looks like more Hollywood white feminism. I notice how that criticism didn't even come up in the interview. What a shock.

giphy.gif

Merc_

I genuinely have no idea what this means.

Leslie Jones character appears to be nothing more then a black female stereotype. However, we're suppose to ignore this because it's an all female team and thus it's progressive. I did enjoy their attempts to play dumb about it and dismiss it when it came up before though.

Sanjuro

Leslie Jones character appears to be nothing more then a black female stereotype. However, we're suppose to ignore this because it's an all female team and thus it's progressive. I did enjoy their attempts to play dumb about it and dismiss it when it came up before though.

Are you familiar with Leslie Jones?

Merc_

Are you familiar with Leslie Jones?

Just because she's willing to perpetuate stereotypes herself doesn't shield the movie from this criticism. Especially since you don't have much of a choice in these playing these sorts of roles if you're a minority in hollywood.

Regardless of everything I've seen online, I still plan on seeing this movie and regardless of all the trailers and such, I'll save my opinions for when I actually see the movie itself.

It might not be amazing, sure, but people need to realise that this isn't the first time a beloved movie was remade, hell, a lot of movies from the 80s or even 90s were remakes of movies from earlier years, It happens and it'll happen in the next 20-30 years.

Sanjuro

Just because she's willing to perpetuate stereotypes herself doesn't shield the movie from this criticism. Especially since you don't have much of a choice in these playing these sorts of roles if you're a minority in hollywood.

There is talk about McCarthy's character being swapped for Jones when she joined the cast. It's difficult to identify where/how/if this character was altered for Jones specifically. It's kind of hard to identify without more information on the subject.

If you are speaking about Jones specifically this is very much in her comfort zone based on what we have seen so far. I like her on SNL. Lot of people seem not to.

There is talk about McCarthy's character being swapped for Jones when she joined the cast. It's difficult to identify where/how/if this character was altered for Jones specifically. It's kind of hard to identify without more information on the subject.

If you are speaking about Jones specifically this is very much in her comfort zone based on what we have seen so far. I like her on SNL. Lot of people seem not to.

I believe Feig said he wanted to give Leslie a chance for some spotlight on a big picture, which is why he swapped roles with McCarthy. Subtle McCarthy is best McCarthy so I'm glad for the change, but we'll see how things pan out.

The whole Ivan Reitman thing had me really up in arms so I'm actually very glad that he brought that up and explained his side of it. Makes way more sense hearing his reasoning.

The interview made it seem like Feig is not down to make a sequel if this is successful though, which is interesting because I'd heard he wanted to be in charge of the main Ghostbusters movies while GhostCorps with Aykroyd and Reitman did the spinoffs and other stuff. I wonder if that's still the case or if the unexpected and horrifically ugly backlash put him off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom