• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GroomedGAF - The Ultimate Men's Bible

After the previous thread I made was condemned to the Shadow Realm by NeoGAF's finest, I thought it appropriate this one be rated strictly PG-13 with no explicit material. From my understanding of reading this forum, many on NeoGAF are unfortunate enough to work in industries where appearances play a large part in determining a person's value and character. Pulling up to the office sporting crumpled trousers, orange hair and a Grateful Dead T-shirt is one way to make an impression, in the corporate sector it's bound to turn a few heads for all the wrong reasons. Grooming is an important part in building a person's confidence and having the discipline to maintain a routine of cleanliness also builds character, and that's not even mentioning the benefits which arise from good personal hygiene. Judgement is ultimately based upon appearances and that will determine the interactions and relationships with those around you. So I'm interested in hearing about people's routines and which products they're accustomed to using.

Choose the following or alike format:

Hair: Barber Shop & Shampoos
Face: Trimmers, Aftershaves, Beard Oils
Teeth: Toothpaste, Electronic/Brushes
Body: Body Washes, Deodorants, Sprays
No Fly Zone: Hair Removal
Feet: Nail Clipping
Clothing: Formal & Casual
Shoes: Footwear Type
Accessories: Bags, Umbrellas,
Electronics: Mobile Phones, Laptops

53d4805cb50f0_-_130213-white-collar-lgn.jpg
casual-dress-code-men-street-style-luxe-digital-1.jpg
This-is-too-casual-for-business-casual-unless-you-work-in-a-young-tech-company.jpg
harveyspec-img-1.jpg

Mine:

Hair: Barber shop once a month and Head & Shoulders
Face: Braun MGK7220 trimmer, soap and water
Teeth: Colgate toothpaste and Listerine brush
Body: Lynx Africa shower gel, Old Spice too
No Fly Zone: Braun trimmer with body hair head
Feet: Nail clipper
Clothing: Casual with hoody and trousers
Shoes: Adidas trainers
Electronics: iPhone 6

Last edited:
I can dig it.

IT/Security Director here so I have to "look the part" when in meetings and such. Never been big on fashion/grooming but it was a requirement in this role.

1. Hair: Dr. Squatch Shampoo & Conditioner. Hemp Oil (can't recall brand, old timey bottle) hair oil for controlling cowlicks.
  2. Face: Safety Razor (GOAT shaving utensil), Dollar Shave Club Shave Butter
  3. Teeth: Burst Electronic Toothbrush, Dr. Squatch Toothpaste
  4. Body: Dr. Squatch Soap / Hemp+Coconut+Shea butter moisturizer (I swap brands depending on ingredients/smell/feeling)
  5. No Fly Zone: Shaving w/ Safety Razor
  6. Feet: Moisturizer and basic nail clippers
  7. Clothing: It's generic, but Men's Wearhouse is great for deals on suits that won't break the bank. If you want fancy then Bloomingdale's has good stuff. I also like Dillard's. Daily business wear: button up shirt, nice jeans, nice shoes - sport coat when colder (GA weather so I rarely need anything heavy).
  8. Shoes: Clark's or Adidas is it for me.
  9. Accessories: I like Cameleon bags as they have built-in plate carriers/CCW pouches for your EDC gun
  10. Electronics: Apple everything due to security and frequency of updates / Sony when not Apple.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Shit, shower, shave that’s it in bathroom.
1.) figure out hairstyle, gel.
2.) bic razors, face wash
3.) brush teeth, floss take a day to see the dentist
4.) axe body
5.) trim
6.) nail trim, nike shoes
7.) blue jeans, hoodie or whatever
8.) watch, necklaces, tattoos
10.) iphone

I can dig it.

IT/Security Director here so I have to "look the part" when in meetings and such. Never been big on fashion/grooming but it was a requirement in this role.

1. Hair: Dr. Squatch Shampoo & Conditioner. Hemp Oil (can't recall brand, old timey bottle) hair oil for controlling cowlicks
  2. Body: Dr. Squatch Soap / Hemp+Coconut+Shea butter moisturizer (I swap brands depending on ingredients/smell/feeling
You're into these Dr. Squatch products and I'm confused as to why that is :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

s-l640.jpg

Shit, shower, shave that’s it in bathroom.
1.) figure out hairstyle, gel.
2.) bic razors, face wash
3.) brush teeth, floss take a day to see the dentist
4.) axe body
5.) trim
6.) nail trim, nike shoes
7.) blue jeans, hoodie or whatever
8.) watch, necklaces, tattoos
10.) iphone
Appreciate the response, but I would like to hear about specific brands and also why you like them. Also, you go to work in blue jeans and a hoodie?

Last edited:
Or people that don't want to use stuff with chemicals/ingredients a mile long on their body. I have tested it side by side with generic off brand store shit and yeah, it's definitely superior.

You asked.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars
I'm not passing judgement man, I'm merely curious. Truth be told I might be a little interested. Worth the price of admission?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hair: I've been growing out my hair during the quarantine but typically have short hair with a bit of spiking on the top; no chemicals
Face: I use a electric shaver for my facial hair and a double edge safety razor for the rest
Teeth: Electronic toothbrush was the biggest improvement to my oral health; I use Crest toothpaste
Body: Switched to bar soap + loofah, only washing with soap as needed (x1 week if just office + home; when outdoors I usually do a deep clean when I get back)
Clothing: Mostly business casual
Shoes: Redwing boots for office + play, sandals for leisure
Accessories: Northface backpack carries everything I need but I also have a large hand-made leather messenger style bag - http://goertzenae.com/Leather-Bags/leather-bags.html
Electronics: iPhone 12, iPad Pro 2018, and iPhone 12; work laptop is a shitty Lenovo Thinkpad

Hair: I've been growing out my hair during the quarantine but typically have short hair with a bit of spiking on the top; no chemicals
Face: I use a electric shaver for my facial hair and a double edge safety razor for the rest
Teeth: Electronic toothbrush was the biggest improvement to my oral health; I use Crest toothpaste
Body: Switched to bar soap + loofah, only washing with soap as needed (x1 week if just office + home; when outdoors I usually do a deep clean when I get back)
Shoes: Redwing boots for office + play, sandals for leisure
Accessories: Northface backpack carries everything I need but I also have a large hand-made leather messenger style bag - http://goertzenae.com/Leather-Bags/leather-bags.html
Electronics: iPhone 12, iPad Pro 2018, and iPhone 12; work laptop is a shitty Lenovo Thinkpad
Some good selections and I'm pleased to see somebody rocking the Redwings. Which electric shaver and toothbrush do you use? Try and give details in terms of brands and products, I'm a Braun man myself.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Some good selections and I'm pleased to see somebody rocking the Redwings. Which electric shaver and toothbrush do you use? Try and give details in terms of brands and products, I'm a Braun man myself.
Shaver is Wahl, though I forgot to mention I usually use the hair trimming scissors my wife has to do week-to-week trimming. I'll use the electric one once a month or so.

Toothbrush is a Philips Sonicare.

I'm only brand-specific for items that I feel have a long lifespan & value. Redwings for example are top quality products that are an easy recommendation. Might hurt the wallet upfront, but my Iron Rangers have lasted 6 years with minimal wear. I expect to get 30-40 years out of them.

Last edited:
I'm not passing judgement man, I'm merely curious. Truth be told I might be a little interested. Worth the price of admission?
Yeah definitely. They usually have a deal where you sign up and get a soap holder + discounts on whatever you purchase. You can time the deliveries so once you get a feel for what you need you can set recurring shipment dates.

When you step out of the shower and can smell fresh grapefruit or pine scent and your skin doesn't feel like leather it's nice :D

A thread about grooming and you start with Neil Caffery, decent.

Hair: 1mm clipped to level of glasses arms
Beard: Natural shape but brushed and oiled with a bit of balm to tame the bugger grips, although wearing a mask still messes it up.
Pits and bits: Habanero and black pepper shower gel.
Fragrance: Still working on that bit, currently rocking Brut.
Teeth: Braun electric with charcoal toothpaste.

Edit: accidentally hit post.

Clothes: short sleeve shirt, black chinos, and either black vans or suede Chelsea boots.

Last edited:
Shaver is Wahl, though I forgot to mention I usually use the hair trimming scissors my wife has to do week-to-week trimming. I'll use the electric one once a month or so.

Toothbrush is a Philips Sonicare.

I'm only brand-specific for items that I feel have a long lifespan & value. Redwings for example are top quality products that are an easy recommendation. Might hurt the wallet upfront, but my Iron Rangers have lasted 6 years with minimal wear. I expect to get 30-40 years out of them.
When it comes to trimming products there are 3 brands which are ahead of the competition. Braun, Wahl and Phillips. Purchase a product from these companies and you're getting a well designed machine that will last a couple years depending on basic maintenance. As for the Redwings, I don't own a pair myself, but I have been eyeballing their Classic Moc Toe Boots for some time. I heard that these are no longer manufactured in America though and are now made in China, which has made me a little hesitant.

Red_Wing_8138_front_grande.jpeg

and your skin doesn't feel like leather it's nice :D
Don't knock it man, some women are into that weather-beaten leather skin. I'll be sure to look into it and see if they're available internationally.
Pits and bits: Habanero and black pepper shower gel.
Mistershine you dope. The habanero and black pepper sauce is suppose to go in the BBQ pit, not your armpit!

BUMP!

I haven’t noticed people mentioning specific brands of body care. Does nobody wear Old Spice or Lynx?
My son wears lynx, I sometimes rock old spice if I can't get brut.

Does anyone have any experience making their own beard oil? If so do you get good results and is it worth it financially compared to buying premade?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hair: I use a lot of Duke Cannon stuff, similar to Dr squatch. The main value for me is that a bar of soap and a shampoo puck let me eliminate a dozen plastic bottles a year from the trash.
Face: DE razor and shave soap. Also a lot less plastic in the world
Teeth: I've yet to go to one of those toothpaste pill brands, but close
Body: Duke cannon bar soaps
No Fly Zone: just some small scissors when necessary
Feet: Nail Clipping
Clothing: I try to source us made clothes when possible. Lots of goruck active wear,, Gustin shirts and jeans, culprit underwear. Downside is it is hard to try this stuff on since retail presence can be limited but once you find your size they are pretty reasonable. I shoot for button-down shirts and the middle option for pant cut (not skinny, not "relaxed", usually slim or similar). No more cargo shorts either unless the thigh pocket is very low profile.
Shoes: red wing and us made new balance
Accessories: lots of goruck bags, those things are indestructible and don't look all tacticool. I hope they continue to experiment with non-nylon fabrics and adding leather for the more work/less mud based items.

This is very much a "buy once, cry once" strategy. I don't throw away nearly as.much stuff as I used to and the clothes I have now don't wear thin or rip nearly as often. Whatever synthetic fabric go ruck uses is nigh bulletproof, if a bit "swish swish" noisy.

I need to get more wool and move away from cotton as well. Alas where I live the summers are so hot and muggy nothing really helps.

You’re really into the Brut eh? I’ve never actually tried it but I remember that distinctive green packaging.
I don't tend to wear the splash on as it can be a bit much for day to day. One of the reasons I asked about beard oil is it can be used as a scent, two birds with one stone kind of thing. Tomorrow I'm going to try sandlewood and sweet orange and see if it works, but I'm ready to re-wash my beard and cover it up with vanilla mango if needed.

Teeth: I've yet to go to one of those toothpaste pill brands, but close
So you don’t brush your teeth?
Ivory bar soap.
Colgate total.
Water (h2o)
Thats your whole beauty regime? I can’t imagine how hairy those balls are 😂.
I don't tend to wear the splash on as it can be a bit much for day to day. One of the reasons I asked about beard oil is it can be used as a scent, two birds with one stone kind of thing. Tomorrow I'm going to try sandlewood and sweet orange and see if it works, but I'm ready to re-wash my beard and cover it up with vanilla mango if needed.
To me the perfect beard is what’s Kratos is rocking in the latest game, albeit a slight shorter.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So you don’t brush your teeth?
No, I use regular toothpaste. But if I wanted to eliminate virtually ALL plastic from my bathroom, that's about the last thing. The toothpaste pills supposedly work pretty well (guess I could just use regular baking soda but i'm THAT committed :p

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Hygiene is super important for me. (fuck bump of year old thread sorry, though we were still in 2021 for an odd reason)

Hair: Nearly bald (even after transplant) with tattoo micropigmentation
Face: Chops and clinique face products
Teeth: Oral-B electric toothbrush with Arm & Hammer sensitive teeth
Body: Dove Men shower gel and Prada perfume
No Fly Zone: Braun trimmer and got laser hair removal
Feet: Nail clipper and regular calluses remover
Clothing: Tactical gear
Shoes: Docs
Electronics: iPhone13 Pro Max

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Hygiene is super important for me. (fuck bump of year old thread sorry, though we were still in 2021 for an odd reason)

Hair: Nearly bald (even after transplant) with tattoo micropigmentation
Face: Chops and clinique face products
Teeth: Oral-B electric toothbrush with Arm & Hammer sensitive teeth
Body: Dove Men shower gel and Prada perfume
No Fly Zone: Braun trimmer and got laser hair removal
Feet: Nail clipper and regular calluses remover
Clothing: Tactical gear
Shoes: Docs
Electronics: iPhone13 Pro Max
Ahaha thanks for the bump! Cannot wait to share to neogaf my grooming/beauty secrets!!!

It’s going to be a long list!

Zeroing

Banned
Since I have eczema I have to take care of my skin.

Hair: I use a Barber Shop or a Wahl for cutting my own hair, I have to use a non aggressive shampoos so Atoderm Intensive and coconut oil.
Face: I use a Braun series 8 Trimmer, Nivea beard oil ( if I do let my beard grow ), Sébium gel mousse and Sébium gobal and Moisturizer
Teeth: Normal Golgate toothpaste, electric toothbrush Oral-B
Body: Atoderm Intensive and moisturizer, as for perfume... ah depends on the occasion. Hugo Boss, Bleu de Chanel, Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man.
No Fly Zone: Braun trimmer
Feet: nail clipping and an exfoliation creme.
Clothing: Suit and Tie for important clients, semi formal and casual. It all depends on the situation.
Shoes: I own at least 2 pairs of each, chelsea, boots, vans, brazilian flip flops etc
Accessories: Depending on the meeting. Leather bag for laptop and for papers etc. Police watch or Fossil watch, a ring and or chain neckless or nothing at all
Electronics: Still rocking my old iPhone SE, Macbook pro M1

That was exausting. It would had been easier if I just took photos.

Wasn't expecting a bump of my old thread, but please feel free to share your recommendations. I'm fond of trimmers myself, whenever I'm in the store I'm always checking out the latest additions from Braun, Wahl, Phillips and Remington.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm a stickler for what I put on my skin / hair and these folks are legit. Pricey but worth it.
I recently jumped on the Dr Sqatch train when my gf bought me the Batman box. After using it twice I jumped on and bought a whole bunch of other stuff.

Shits legit.

Rockondevil

Hair: Haircut every 3 weeks and use Head & Shoulders Old Spice (have to go often for work reasons).
Face: Edwin Jagger DE89 w/ Astra Blades, Badger Hair Brush w/ Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Cream (great shave because unfortunately I have to shave daily for work).
Teeth: Oral-B Genius 9000, Floss Daily and Piksters weekly.
Body: Any body wash we buy for the family and usually a Rexona or Adidas deodorant that smells good.
No Fly Zone: Just a trim occasionally, don't care too much as long as it doesn't get ingrown.
Feet: Nail Clippers
Clothing: Negative on the formal. Casual is Board Shorts and T-Shirt is generally related to gaming/comic/movie, but I keep it subtle.
Shoes: Boots at work. Every other time is thongs, nothing more, nothing less.
Accessories: Not my thing.
Electronics: Still got my iPhone X I need to update someday and sometimes AirPods if I'm alone.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Got a list I'll eventually share... But dad bod is dad bod. Sooo...

One big tip, beard balm. Please men, don't walk around with a scraggly dry ass beard. Just cause you can grow doesn't mean you are allowed to just soap it.

Top Bottom