• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online PS4/XB1 |OT| Just ignore the bodies (and look forward to heists)

GUYS.

I bought the game. Finally.
Welcome, brother brother. I don't like to assume, so I ask sometimes obvious questions. PS4?

Edit: Well I feel the top of the page should have *something* substantial in it.

Despite the time I've put in so far, I got my first Lester Assasination mission on PS4 online last night. Has taken a while to show up...but little by little I feel they are getting all their ducks in a row. My online loading times are cut dramatically, and I've had great consistency going from job to lobby to job to lobby to jobby all with a small group, no problems.

I also bought the Panto, modded it, and was tearing around LS when my friend told me I was hovering when I was driving. When stopped, I was on the road, but any forward momentum caused my car to float..
5Vi3ADY.jpg

Ted

GUYS.

I bought the game. Finally.

Excellent news! Looking forward to seeing you in LS.

I also bought the Panto, modded it, and was tearing around LS when my friend told me I was hovering when I was driving. When stopped, I was on the road, but any forward momentum caused my car to float..
5Vi3ADY.jpg

Love it!

I also went shopping today... Bought the Blista and Dukes, not started modding them yet but I already like that the Dukes' secondary colour includes grill, arch extensions and window frames. Polished steel, oh yeah.

The Blista drives nicely as well but there is no CRX-esque rubber spoiler and that makes me sad.

I had to sell a Voltic and Gauntlet to make room but both are relatively cheap so I can always pick them up again later.

PS4!

Loving driving my rides in first person <3
Hell yea! And I concur, first person driving is the bees knees!
There's a similar glitch that causes the car to float from the passengers perspective as well.
I need to see this!
Love it!

The Blista drives nicely as well but there is no CRX-esque rubber spoiler and that makes me sad.
Thanks! I didn't know Blistas come like that...here is mine:
olN3Jma.jpg

Like so many other vehicles, it does look like a classic and modern variant. Man, STILL learning new things out! That's a PS3 snapshot, btw. I feel I should point that out now, for some reason..

RdN

so in a public server you should kill who is red?

People who are red are those who killed a lot of people and caused a lot of mayhem. Essentially, red means that those players are dangerous.

Edit: I forgot there's red for bounties too. Yeah, killing those you net you the bounty they have on their heads, which may be a sweet amount sometimes.

Ted

Thanks! I didn't know Blistas come like that...here is mine:
olN3Jma.jpg

Like so many other vehicles, it does look like a classic and modern variant. Man, STILL learning new things out! That's a PS3 snapshot, btw. I feel I should point that out now, for some reason..

It's one of the new /returning vehicles. The hatchback is loosely based on the second gen Honda Civic Type R ('01-'05), the coupe is loosely based on the first gen Honda CR-X ('83-'87).

I also have a Blista like yours in my garage (I keep one of each class for racing) but I have a bit of a soft spot the CR-X so not being able to accurately recreate it tweaks my chain!

It's also a bit annoying that (like the Futo) it is in the Sport class where it has pretty much no chance competitively.

R*, as car fans, we need bigger/third garages so we can keep a fleet of class based racers and still have plenty of space for the "fun" cars. I'll take a 50 car warehouse at the docks please. :)

so in a public server you should kill who is red?

Red skulls are bounties, red dots are players who have been raisin' hell.

The white/pink/red dot is supposed to indicate the players "mental state". The more NPCs/police/other players with a white dot that you kill or random vehicles you blow up, the redder your dot will become. If you kill players with red dots your own dot colour is not effected (and indeed if you are already pink/red it may actually lessen this).

The theory is that red dot players are probably up for some gun-fights and white dot players are probably more passive. As a broad brush indicator it is OK but you can still be mad, bad and dangerous to know yet retain a white dot if your main targets are players with red dots already or bounties.

Tigress

People who are red are those who killed a lot of people and caused a lot of mayhem. Essentially, red means that those players are dangerous.

Edit: I forgot there's red for bounties too. Yeah, killing those you net you the bounty they have on their heads, which may be a sweet amount sometimes.

Not really. Rockstar really boffed the system. Red players are just those that are causing mayhem. It's supposed to let you know who to avoid if you don't want to have them trying to kill you (or who to go after if you want to go head on with some one) but the problem is you get red if you attack NPCs as well. So some one could be some one who isn't targetting PCs but just likes causing chaos with the NPCs (like me who loves to cause chaos but I really don't want to go against pcs and usually leave them alone long as they leave me alone. Now I'll get targeted by people cause rockstar thinks me attacking NPCs means I want to attack pcs.

Also, on a similar note, I really hate how I can't attack NPCs in passive mode especially as how NPCs can attack me. I don't see why they just can't have passive mode make it so that I can't harm pcs but NPCs are fair game (it can differentiate when I drive between pc and npc so it can't be that hard to program). I do like now that passive mode makes it so that I truly can't be attacked. I barely go in private only servers now that passive mode is actually useful. But I would love to help other players against the cops while in passive mode (don't want to get out of it because most likely they will assume I'm there to get them and attack me) but cannot. Plus as I said, you still can get attacked by NPCs and it's annoying you can't fight back. If I can't attack NPCs they shouldn't be able to attack me.

Rockstar really should learn that just cause I don't want to attack or be attacked by pcs doesn't mean I don't want to get violent against NPCs.

Macrotus

This game was finally released here in Japan, but unfortunately, the Japanese version has their own servers, thus won't be able to play with my foreign friends... :/

waypoetic

Banned
I really hate that you get a bounty for Just stealing a car. For instance: my vehicle gets blown up or i cant drive it anymore - so i steal a car to get back to town or wherever i need to be. I get a bounty for stealing that car and now i've got three fuckers chasing me down just to collect like 3k.

For stealing a car. In GTA. I don't know, i think that they should let us "off the hook" on that one.

must be a glitch not she how my rockets just blow up near his helicopter and he blows me out of the sky and keeps flying

This game was finally released here in Japan, but unfortunately, the Japanese version has their own servers, thus won't be able to play with my foreign friends... :/

you cannot create a US PSN account to play the US version?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Not really. Rockstar really boffed the system. Red players are just those that are causing mayhem. It's supposed to let you know who to avoid if you don't want to have them trying to kill you (or who to go after if you want to go head on with some one) but the problem is you get red if you attack NPCs as well. So some one could be some one who isn't targetting PCs but just likes causing chaos with the NPCs (like me who loves to cause chaos but I really don't want to go against pcs and usually leave them alone long as they leave me alone. Now I'll get targeted by people cause rockstar thinks me attacking NPCs means I want to attack pcs.

Also, on a similar note, I really hate how I can't attack NPCs in passive mode especially as how NPCs can attack me. I don't see why they just can't have passive mode make it so that I can't harm pcs but NPCs are fair game (it can differentiate when I drive between pc and npc so it can't be that hard to program). I do like now that passive mode makes it so that I truly can't be attacked. I barely go in private only servers now that passive mode is actually useful. But I would love to help other players against the cops while in passive mode (don't want to get out of it because most likely they will assume I'm there to get them and attack me) but cannot. Plus as I said, you still can get attacked by NPCs and it's annoying you can't fight back. If I can't attack NPCs they shouldn't be able to attack me.

Rockstar really should learn that just cause I don't want to attack or be attacked by pcs doesn't mean I don't want to get violent against NPCs.

I think it would be wonderful if they had rooms where "friendly fire" was disabled, and everyone who isn't an NPC is considered a friendly. I mostly like goofing around with my friends; I hate that I have to be in passive mode to keep random assholes from trying to murder me all the time. Instead, we just stick to friends-only sessions. I just think it would be nice to allow more people in to play around without worrying about psychos.

ttech10

I think it would be wonderful if they had rooms where "friendly fire" was disabled, and everyone who isn't an NPC is considered a friendly. I mostly like goofing around with my friends; I hate that I have to be in passive mode to keep random assholes from trying to murder me all the time. Instead, we just stick to friends-only sessions. I just think it would be nice to allow more people in to play around without worrying about psychos.

I've been saying this since launch.

I play Online, but not in open lobbies. It's either alone or every so often, with one or two other people from another forum. Any time I play in an open lobby I have to blow up some 14 year old and his supercar because he insists on running me over or shooting at me. It's not fun.

And that random stat they added that's supposed to match people doesn't work, either. My rating is at zero and if I join a random lobby (which is forced upon me when switching online characters) I'm stuck with tons of red players.

Can't wait to play with you all. Been awhile since I've been able to touch my consoles but should be able to starting next week! Need to level up quite a bit it looks like :|

Tigress

I would even settle for passive mode letting me be psycho against NPCs. Honestly, for me that would be better cause I don't have enough friends to be friends only and I kinda like the randomness. I just want to be able to say, "Right now I'm not in the mood to go against people" so those people go find some one else to play with. But I'd like to be able to go randomly help random stranger just for the hell of it without worrying that they are just going to turn around and try to fight me.

But yeah, a friends only server would be nice too (but unlike other people I want cops to be in it. I keep hearing people propose it without the cops).

waypoetic

Banned
Nice to know that I'm not alone in wanting to just relax, goof around and do shit together. I don't see the fun in killing randoms in the open world. It's stressful cus you know that they ain't gonna settle for even.

Wanna fight? Then let's get it on in TDM

WGMBY

Nice to know that I'm not alone in wanting to just relax, goof around and do shit together. I don't see the fun in killing randoms in the open world. It's stressful cus you know that they ain't gonna settle for even.

Wanna fight? Then let's get it on in TDM

I've taken to following people around just to see what shit they get up to. Of course a lot of them shoot first, but every now and then you get someone who wants to hang out and ride bikes together.

waypoetic

Banned
I've taken to following people around just to see what shit they get up to. Of course a lot of them shoot first, but every now and then you get someone who wants to hang out and ride bikes together.

Here's my experience from just not interacting with someone who pulls up in their car and starts honking the horn: they run you over.

If you won't play with them they get uptight about it. Stupid.

EDIT: That's why I'm always in a "invite only session".

Tigress

Here's my experience from just not interacting with someone who pulls up in their car and starts honking the horn: they run you over.

If you won't play with them they get uptight about it. Stupid.

EDIT: That's why I'm always in a "invite only session".

Well feel free to invite me, I swear I won't go attacking you (on purpose, can't guarentee my aim is good though cause I suck at GTA ;) ).

As long as you don't mind I may sometimes be on my own little missions (I may not always join you but if you don't mind me hanging around in your server I won't attack you either and I might help you in any cop chases).

Honestly, it would be nice to be able to set up servers where we could just join and know it's a set group that will go in there. Maybe if you go in an invite only server invite crew members/friends in (with the understanding you don't expect they'll join but are free to?). Problem is if mulitple people do it at once then whose server do you join? (sorry, been kinda dreaming of setting up some way of setting something like that up since rockstart won't do a friendly only server type thing).

I mean it's more fun to play with people than by myself but not when most people just want to kill me. I do like the new passive mode, it's made me use invite only a whole lot less. I just wish I could shoot NPCs while in it :(. If I could find servers full of people who aren't aggressive towards me that would be better cause then I could still shoot NPCs and not worry that every person I meet is just going to want to start a deathmatch with me (or at least not unless we agree to it. I do think it would be fun to set up stuff like manhunts where everyone turns off their map and also the names above the PCs so they can't see where people are and you have to guess if the person you are looking at is a PC, some one is the hunted, and the other people are the hunters. I heard a good rule to put in also is you can't shoot the hunted when you are in your car, you have to leave your car to shoot the hunted person).

I still need to find a friend to race with just to unlock the engines mines are all looked right now

I am not sure what time or days the servers get busy enough for match making to work people seem to love quitting in mid-race or the host set the laps to 30 just troll you

this game makes everyone act like assholes or it is full of 10 year olds

So how do you stay in a party with a group of people? I'm out of the loop with the online mode.
I haven't done many tests...but...I think if you all set the same aiming mode before you join MP...all join the same session (friend/crew/invite), you all will have a greater chance of sticking together. I have been staying with my friends when I've been playing lately, and I know we all have it set to free aim. It's when I join other people lobbies, set to anything but free aim, that is when I always get separated. But that's my untested, unedjumacated guess. Your mileage may vary.
someone kiled me but can't find there names
Pause the game, go to Info, I think, and one of those options lists everything that appears on the left side of the screen of the radar. I think it is notifications.
I still need to find a friend to race with just to unlock the engines mines are all looked right now

I am not sure what time or days the servers get busy enough for match making to work people seem to love quitting in mid-race or the host set the laps to 30 just troll you

this game makes everyone act like assholes or it is full of 10 year olds
What time zone are you in? I have also seen a lot of sore losers out there, I just lump those people in with the other 10 year olds playing the game, which seems to be more and more by the day...

av2k

Hey guys, sorry to sound noobish but I'm having a hard time connecting with other gaffers. Do you guys usually play together on a server or do your own thing? I try to invite from crew but it looks like everyone is either busy or declines.

Also, what are your money earning methods? I'm currently grinding Processed survival mode and doing pretty decently.

Hey guys, sorry to sound noobish but I'm having a hard time connecting with other gaffers. Do you guys usually play together on a server or do your own thing? I try to invite from crew but it looks like everyone is either busy or declines.
I can't speak for others, but I'd say 60-80%% of the time I get an invite, I can't join immediately due to being in the middle of making some quick money. I believe the job settings default to open lobby, which have a timer that automatically launches the job, but if you make it a closed job you can start it at your leisure, allowing people more time to join. I believe the "Crew Onlines" list also lists people if they are in jobs, perhaps, and they can't get invites there. When I join up, I usually go to a crew server, and invite some people, but sometimes it doesn't work well (read: people don't join). Part of it also lies in the fact that I think we get spammed by so many messages for jobs, when an actual gaffer DOES pop up, it can be tricky to remember exactly who is who.

This goes along with what Tigress was saying, it'd be awesome to have a persistent world, where Gaffers could come and go at their leisure, and the only other human players would be other gaffers :\
Also, what are your money earning methods? I'm currently grinding Processed survival mode and doing pretty decently.
Selling cars outside of missions is a good thing to do, especially since Los Santos customs only takes 1 sale every 44 minutes, and the Simeon text message lists are not that common. After that...high ranking missions like Rooftop Rumble are crowd favorites from what I hear. My suggestion is get at least one other person, two if you can, all join one job, then bounce back and forth from races to parachute missions. After about an hour, each person should have decent money. To ne that method is more fun than missions, because you don't have to worry about your aiming & shooting if you are in free aim, don't have to worry about pulling your weight, don't have to worry about your ammo stocks. Some parachute missions are rather short, an can pay out from 3-6k for about a minute or two's worth of "work", navigating through some airborn checkpoints.

I haven't done many tests...but...I think if you all set the same aiming mode before you join MP...all join the same session (friend/crew/invite), you all will have a greater chance of sticking together. I have been staying with my friends when I've been playing lately, and I know we all have it set to free aim. It's when I join other people lobbies, set to anything but free aim, that is when I always get separated. But that's my untested, unedjumacated guess. Your mileage may vary.

Pause the game, go to Info, I think, and one of those options lists everything that appears on the left side of the screen of the radar. I think it is notifications.

What time zone are you in? I have also seen a lot of sore losers out there, I just lump those people in with the other 10 year olds playing the game, which seems to be more and more by the day...

EST north-east US I play pretty late tho like 2am-6am this morning I heard a lot of arabic spoken from the open mic

I'll need to try and play normal hours I was think the times I play would avoid the kids

this morning in open mic was a woman with a crying baby in the background while she chatted away about someone who killed her for no reason

going to try different hours

Mistel

Banned
game is hacked already?

getting shot and killed then cannot use my weapons because of passive mode but same guy runs me over with a car
That is something that has always happened with passive mode where you can kill passive player by running them over.
I need to see this!
It's really not that impressive it's just the same as your panto thing just whilst it's moving for the passenger don't know if it's still possible to do it though let alone remember how to.

That is something that has always happened with passive mode where you can kill passive player by running them over.

It's really not that impressive it's just the same as your panto thing just whilst it's moving for the passenger don't know if it's still possible to do it though let alone remember how to.

I recently saw a youtube video showing passive mode was patched in such a way that cars could not run you over

here http://youtu.be/hFE6XOaU4dk

The passive thing you are talking about is how it was last gen, but now passive mode makes you transparent, as if you were doing a on contact race. I've only been in passive a few times so far, but I love seeing people try to run me over, only to fail, repeatedly. When you get in a vehicle, it applies to that vehicle also now. I think Smiles and Cries, you met a glitch in the system, not necssarily someone glitching. If it continues to occur, then maybe I'd raise suspicion, but I think for now it was a fluke.

For the car floating thing, I would love to watch someone's stream as it's happening, because there are many things I want to test with it.

I really hate that you get a bounty for Just stealing a car. For instance: my vehicle gets blown up or i cant drive it anymore - so i steal a car to get back to town or wherever i need to be. I get a bounty for stealing that car and now i've got three fuckers chasing me down just to collect like 3k.

For stealing a car. In GTA. I don't know, i think that they should let us "off the hook" on that one.

Stealing parked cars shouldn't cause a bounty to be put on you.

To me, I love that feature. You can call a car every 5 minutes or so, so if you think it'll be at least 5 more minutes between your current point and where you wanna be, give 'em a call for another. OR, you could call a taxi, then kill the driver, and then boom, free car. I also love trying to outrun people bounty hunting. For me, it's a great game of chase. If you are playing with friends, have them cap you and they can keep or split the cash with you. Depending on who is chasing me, I sometimes let them kill me, to avoid them hounding me if I am doing something.
Stealing parked cars shouldn't cause a bounty to be put on you.
And any car you steal that is not yours has the capability to put a bounty on you. One of my favorite things is to just steal car after car, looking for bounties to be put on me.

Playing in a closed session with a friend, or just with a friend in general will help alleviate this as one of you can remove the bounty asap once it's been placed. If you steal from someone driving a car, I always let the person go, but if you kill them, they shouldn't be able to place a bounty on you, but I haven't done enough testing to prove this one way or another.

Ted

I think Smiles and Cries, you met a glitch in the system, not necssarily someone glitching. If it continues to occur, then maybe I'd raise suspicion, but I think for now it was a fluke.

It is a glitch that can be triggered.

You can essentially get into a semi-passive state where you can not be shot or shoot but can run other players down regardless of their state/mode.

There is a couple of other potentially interesting passive mode glitches including one that allows you to get "inside" certain objects (mostly vehicles) sort of like a wall-breach.

Trash talk (level 81) is probably now the most efficient time:payout ratio (if you have a Buzzard) due to the level multiplier on mission payouts.

Honestly, it would be nice to be able to set up servers where we could just join and know it's a set group that will go in there. Maybe if you go in an invite only server invite crew members/friends in (with the understanding you don't expect they'll join but are free to?). Problem is if multiple people do it at once then whose server do you join? (sorry, been kinda dreaming of setting up some way of setting something like that up since rockstar won't do a friendly only server type thing).

Part of it also lies in the fact that I think we get spammed by so many messages for jobs, when an actual gaffer DOES pop up, it can be tricky to remember exactly who is who.

This goes along with what Tigress was saying, it'd be awesome to have a persistent world, where Gaffers could come and go at their leisure, and the only other human players would be other gaffers :\

On the previous gen I put in a ticket asking R* if they would think about adding an indicator of crew/friend status on the in-game invites but I suspect it's lost in the mass of other requests they must get.

I wonder if we can go some way to helping this though for Playstation users by using this thread and a new PSN account. If we all add that account we'll all be able to see friends of friends from the new account and it will be easier to identify whether invites are coming from randoms or GAF'ers. We could use this friends of friends list to either add each other, check who is online or simply cross reference names.

To that end I have set up a PSN account called GTAGAF (all uppercase).

igZhpfKeJDvWP.gif

Go ahead and send friend requests and I will add people within a few hours in most cases. Please include something along the lines of "I AM GAF-tastic" (or the much simpler, "GAF") in your request.

Sound like a plan GAF?

I'm also happy to use this account as a grinding account if anyone needs race wins etc. I will need to get through the tutorial with it first though!

av2k

Holy crap, that sounds awesome Ted! Way to go, can't wait to play with you guys soon once this gets set up!

Lastly, do we have to buy the buzzer? 1.75 mil is.. insane.. or can I call Pegasus services and steal theirs?

Ted

Holy crap, that sounds awesome Ted! Way to go, can't wait to play with you guys soon once this gets set up!

No problem, I hope it helps. It's my first OT so I am at least trying to do it properly!

Lastly, do we have to buy the buzzer? 1.75 mil is.. insane.. or can I call Pegasus services and steal theirs?

You need to buy a Buzzard and you need an armed heli / or a really together group for trash talk to be done quickly.

If you fancy a heli-centric mission, you can use any heli (e.g. the Merryweather chopper pickup) to pretty quickly and easily complete "Cleaning the Cat House" for Martin (level 45). Just land on the flat roof of the building of the abandoned hotel that has Anna in and she will make her way up to you on her own. If you land in the center (of the shorter width) then barely anyone can even get a shot in. Once Anna is on board high-tail it back to Martin's for an easy payout.

Remember though, it costs a grand a time to call the Merryweather heli so it is cheaper if you do have access to a Pegasus heli of any kind (200 GTA$ per call out).

It might still be profitable with Merryweather though as you don't use any ammo anyway but remember after a few kills on the Merryweather pilot they will give you a cool down period before you can call another.

Could be a good way to start a session though, a couple of runs of that to pay for any later hi-jinx!

It is a glitch that can be triggered.

You can essentially get into a semi-passive state where you can not be shot or shoot but can run other players down regardless of their state/mode.
That's bananas, I had no idea. How new is this? I would have assuemd we would have seen much more commotion about it :\ Also, nice thinking with the Stock GAF PSN name.
Encountered a shitty problem with this, a guy in passive mode stole the Simeon car and nobody couldn't steal it back.
This....is hilarious....and maddening, too, I can imagine. If that happened to me in a game I was in, I'd try to block the entrance to the Carhole at Simeons if I could somehow. Similar to using cars to block the doors of Ammunations, or clothing shops once people you dislike go in there :D It's a minor annoyance, and they can kill themselves to get out, but it's an annoyance to those being even more annoying still!

Tigress

Encountered a shitty problem with this, a guy in passive mode stole the Simeon car and nobody couldn't steal it back.

I dunno, I'd take advantage of that cause I find 90% of the time if some one is trying to stop me they're just trying to blow the car up to annoy me vs. trying to steal the car to sell for themselves (The latter I don't mind, it's when they are doing it just to be obnoxious that annoys me. and it's obvious cause they use a very obvious method of blowing hte car up so it's useless to anyone).

Top Bottom