• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
And some new bugs and old bugs from mobile versions and originals.

Oh and physics might be still tied to FPS.
They've also added more bugs, haven't fixed known ones, and removed more songs.
I should've bought them when they were PS2 classics on PS4...I mean I have SA but should've bought Vice City too. But I was like "Ewww the 80s". Only option now is to buy it on PS3 or PS2.

ahtlas7

I know I’m the only one but
:
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

It’s easy money, they know people will buy this in droves. The tail wags the dog these days, there are exceptions like Konami with efootball however more and more people don’t like expectations from others.

“Well what do you expect “
“Let the haters hate”

And let’s not forget the avalanche of media and “influencers”, because of the likes of them and their relationships with publishers, it’s the consumer who has to call things out and on occasion is seen as the bad guy , toxic and hate. When the consumer calls bullshit out the media label it as such “fans react negatively” , well what’s their take? Silence.

So what happens to expectations and standards? They dwindle from time to time.

It’s becoming a farce . They work for us, to get our money which is now taken for granted and having some standards for games is seen as some unreasonable trait.
Well said. It's so frustrating it makes me want to scream. We have no voice as gamers now other than to not buy when yet another half assed game is released. Youtube and Twitch "influencers" as well as corrupt gaming media are a powerful force in how these games are marketed. It really can not be overstated how negative the impact their relationships with publishers and even developers has been on allowing these companies to get away with impunity some really deceptive things. Cyberpunk is a great example.

The 'power' right now is so far in favor of publishers compared to any other time I can think of in gaming. They are selling their games and raking in the profits in record numbers. They know they can get away with whatever they want to. If a game is released in a bad state or has features it was advertised with that are missing, we can complain and yell, our wishes never even get heard. The closest we have to communicating with a developer is via "influencers" and they are nothing more than another marketing branch for these companies.

I've been trying to get people to see this stuff and I've been either ignored or called a "hater" too. Rockstar is one of the worst companies now as far as I'm concerned. Just look at the latest trailer for Gta V remastered for next gen. They didn't even acknowledge that it was delayed (was originally supposed to come out now) and they're not even trying to take advantage or the new systems yet still charging full price.

GtaV and RDR2, the two biggest games out there are never getting a patch for ps5/x to improve resolution and framerate. Gamers just accept that Rockstar doesn't update their games because "they'll release a remaster in a couple years". It's crazy to me that there's no push back against them for stuff like that.

Banned
the more I see from this remaster the more I don't even wanna play it... even tho San Andreas is in Gamepass... like... this has to be the worst version of the game by far.
the graphics are a joke, the missing music is a joke... all of it looks like a fan made shitty "Fan recreates [GAME X] in Unreal Engine 4" kinda thing and I actually hope there was not a single actual professional graphics artist in this dev team, and if there were, they should never be hired as one ever again

Last edited:

EDMIX

Strong OT, good work.

If my i5 4690k doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the CPU, what on earth is going on behind the curtain in this game? I know it's near enough the same as a 6600k, but these are remasters of PS2 games. There shouldn't be anything that demanding, right?

Well...this is more of a remake then a simply port to really put it in "PS2 game" area. This simply isn't a remaster like we saw with the last ports that just uped the resolution and frame and a few assets.

This is put in a different engine, different character models and GTAV controls, so enough is done here were I just don't see this as a PS2 remaster.

Too much is done to put it in that ball park, this isn't like their last remaster or those awful AC1 and 2 remasters lol

TexMex

Okay while the shooting is technically better, it still feels like total shit. So come into it expecting basically no real improvement there at all.

Also one of the easy, freebie trophies is bugged and won’t pop.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Well...this is more of a remake then a simply port to really put it in "PS2 game" area. This simply isn't a remaster like we saw with the last ports that just uped the resolution and frame and a few assets.

This is put in a different engine, different character models and GTAV controls, so enough is done here were I just don't see this as a PS2 remaster.

Too much is done to put it in that ball park, this isn't like their last remaster or those awful AC1 and 2 remasters lol
Based on what I’ve seen, the games still have bugs present in the originals like falling through the ground at 60fps. Things like that are suggesting that it’s still the old framework, so combining that with the “Modified PS2” look of them it’s looking like they may well just be remasters and not remakes. Shit ones, at that.

They definitely didn’t start from the ground up with these, more would have gone right. If they genuinely did, someone’s getting fired.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Glad I own the ‘original’ trilogy on PS4. Will play San for a while in Game Pass but I have a feeling this will stink a bit due to the lack of transparency.

Banned
Glad I own the ‘original’ trilogy on PS4. Will play San for a while in Game Pass but I have a feeling this will stink a bit due to the lack of transparency.

the PS4 versions also miss all the songs that are missing in every recent release tho.

the only way to have complete and good versions is if you have the original PS2, Xbox or PC versions.
BUT very late PS2 reprints ALSO had music missing! so not every PS2 release is the complete package either.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Any news on the wokening of the games?
Everything seems to still be there from what I gather. ExCEpt ThaT ConFEdEratE FlaG!!!

I can't even tell if I'm on Gaf or Reddit at this point since all the posts feel the same. Same nitpicky deformed npc shots, same memes, come on guys. Just looking at the gameplay released so far this looks miles better than the super outdated ps2 games, can't wait to jump in.

Last edited:

Banned
Everything seems to still be there from what I gather. ExCEpt ThaT ConFEdEratE FlaG!!!

I can't even tell if I'm on Gaf or Reddit at this point since all the posts feel the same. Same nitpicky deformed npc shots, same memes, come on guys. Just looking at the gameplay released so far this looks miles better than the super outdated ps2 games, can't wait to jump in.

the missing music alone makes this a bad release. and the graphics are terrible in many ways not only the NPCs, but the NPCs do look like dogshit, there's no defending that.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

There’s plenty of that. Shooting feels no better than before and most of the gameplay is the same, except that you can restart missions from a menu prompt and the game glitches to fuck all over the trilogy because it’s a very buggy remaster that didn’t bother fixing things they should have fixed.

Guess I’ll stick to my ps2 discs. Can’t beat them. Shame on Rockstar for allowing this. People need to stop praising them and letting them away with shit. 8 years with no new GTA game except this trash.

I can’t even get excited for GTA VI now. Rockstar are a totally different company now. They don’t care about making quality games…they just want to milk players dry.

waquzy

Guess I’ll stick to my ps2 discs. Can’t beat them. Shame on Rockstar for allowing this. People need to stop praising them and letting them away with shit. 8 years with no new GTA game except this trash.

I can’t even get excited for GTA VI now. Rockstar are a totally different company now. They don’t care about making quality games…they just want to milk players dry.
Rockstar didn’t have anything to do with this remaster, it was done by a company called Grove Street Games.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hmmmm

“The thing that drew people to these titles early on was the very specific way that they felt," says Rosado. "So when it comes to redoing them, you hit a crossroads. You can either try and rebuild them and improve them, and in doing so that means rescripting everything and adding new physics. Or you acknowledge that these games had a very secret sauce that people fell in love with, and it would be a fool's errand to try and replicate every single element—the good bits and the frustrating bits. So one of the first choices we made for these remasters was to leave them intact."

Nice way to sugar coat their shitty effort :lollipop_squinting:

Rockstar didn’t have anything to do with this remaster, it was done by a company called Grove Street Games.
I know. That’s why I said shame on Rockstar for allowing this. Grove Street Games are a mobile studio. The only experience they have with consoles is the ps3/360 version of San Andreas. now they have to make three games for pc, PS4, ps5, Xbox one, series, switch, iOS and android. They are out their depth.

rockstar might only be publishing but they shouldn’t have allowed it to release in this state. Someone at rockstar either didn’t bother checking if it was ready or thought yeah this is good enough!

waquzy

I know. That’s why I said shame on Rockstar for allowing this. Grove Street Games are a mobile studio. The only experience they have with consoles is the ps3/360 version of San Andreas. now they have to make three games for pc, PS4, ps5, Xbox one, series, switch, iOS and android. They are out their depth.

rockstar might only be publishing but they shouldn’t have allowed it to release in this state. Someone at rockstar either didn’t bother checking if it was ready or thought yeah this is good enough!
So then you shouldn’t be worried about GTA VI, Rockstar will be developing that and they are still second to none. No other developer comes close..,

JonSnowball

Gold Member

I'm playing the original Vice City on PC and it looks pretty good considering its age. In fact, Rockstars trailer "faked" the before graphics with some bizarrely low LOD shots to make the original titles look crappier. The games don't even look that bad on PS2.

Here's a screenshot of Vice City running on PC:

sIN1Tn2.jpg

Here's a shot of the "original" Vice City from Rockstars trailer:

5SWOPoo.jpg

Banned
I'm playing the original Vice City on PC and it looks pretty good considering its age. In fact, Rockstars trailer "faked" the before graphics with some bizarrely low LOD shots to make the original titles look crappier. The games don't even look that bad on PS2.

sIN1Tn2.jpg

5SWOPoo.jpg

not to mention that the Xbox version improved even on that original PC version with higher quality models for cars and characters, as well as better textures and effects (reflections on cars etc.)

Last edited:

bargeparty

sIN1Tn2.jpg

5SWOPoo.jpg

truly a thing to behold here. you talk about their fake comparison, then show the exact shot without any comparison. you mention the ps2 version but don't provide anything, yet you provide a pc screenshot from an entirely different viewpoint with a (lets be honest) unverified pc screenshot.

the price is not worth full but im having a good time with it. one thing blew me away was how far you could see now. still fun like the original except the framerate is so much better. buy it on sale lol

cormack12

Gold Member
truly a thing to behold here. you talk about their fake comparison, then show the exact shot without any comparison. you mention the ps2 version but don't provide anything, yet you provide a pc screenshot from an entirely different viewpoint with a (lets be honest) unverified pc screenshot.

That second shot has been going round for a while. The original shows the full scene, and this bit is cropped from where the draw/render distance is out of bounds that's why it looks so bad. Imagine it's widescreen and they've cropped the left side of the image out (where the draw distance is in bounds)

BigLee74

Are people forgetting how awful the original games looked? There is only so much polishing you can do without scrapping everything and starting again (something that was never gonna happen).

As long as they look and run better than the originals, and retain the fun, them I’m up for another replay.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
the PS4 versions also miss all the songs that are missing in every recent release tho.

the only way to have complete and good versions is if you have the original PS2, Xbox or PC versions.
BUT very late PS2 reprints ALSO had music missing! so not every PS2 release is the complete package either.
I know :messenger_pensive:

I do own the soundtrack box sets for Vice and San though, so at least there’s that.

xrnzaaas

Are people forgetting how awful the original games looked? There is only so much polishing you can do without scrapping everything and starting again (something that was never gonna happen).

As long as they look and run better than the originals, but retain the fun, them I’m up for another replay.
The modders have already done a much better job of improving the graphics in the past, but even if you ignore that there's a ton of things working against the remasters (from what I've seen so far, I won't be giving Rockstar my money):
- Various bugs from previous versions have been retained, plus the remasters weren't properly tested and many people are reporting the games crashing.
- The art style choices are at least questionable, in some cases the models actually look worse than the originals despite being more detailed.
- The remasters don't use the extra power of the new PC's & consoles and the traffic & pedestrian numbers are still very low.
- The games struggling with performance even on next-gen consoles is a complete joke.
- Some important songs from the soundtrack are still missing and Rockstar should've at least replaced them with other songs to maintain the overall number of songs for each radio station.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
A man want what a man want, never excuse for buying what makes you happy.
I thought, thought... Rockstar might have taken a bit more care on the game, this thread made me think I might have made an error :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Screw it, you only live once!

Someone needs to take you to the mental asylum if you paid £55 for this garbage.
Hell, if any existed anymore i'd gladly walk in, might give me a break from the one we live in currently :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom