• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition |OT| Ah shit, here we go again

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Looking forward to the Digital Foundry comparisons…… if they ever return

charlton heston laughing GIF

Edit: they’re back already, jokes on me 😂

Last edited:

Kacho

Feel like we should merge some of these GTA threads. There’s like four on the front page. Mod of War Mod of War DGrayson DGrayson pls respond!

Here’s a couple comparison videos that do a good job at showing the differences between versions. The shooting shown at the end of the Vice City one actually looks decent.

Darknssfalls

Neo Member
I agree that the effort put into this is questionable at least. Anyways! My nostalgic body its ready (so its my Reshade+RTGI too 🤣)

bender

What time is it?
I just don't understand why they are putting such minimal effort into these ports. The trilogy deserves love and care, not to mention a restored soundtrack. It's not like GTA V isn't still printing money for Rockstar. They should have just remastered these one at a time and put some proper effort into them. They could have charged more money this way. What a fucking bummer.

RAIDEN1

It was obvious that they weren't going to go all out to bring back the removed songs, they did just fine with the revised version from previous generation...there was no massive uproar then...you could see it from a mile away they wouldn't have any of M.J's tracks back...

bender

What time is it?
Yeah maybe you can buy the removed songs with shark cards.

I'm probably a sucker, but I wish this were an option or a digital deluxe package. I'd be fine shelling out more cash for a fully restored soundtrack. Then again, the price on this collection is insane considering the flaws and the fact that it seems like most of the heavy lifted for the assets was done via AI upscaling.

It was obvious that they weren't going to go all out to bring back the removed songs, they did just fine with the revised version from previous generation...there was no massive uproar then...you could see it from a mile away they wouldn't have any of M.J's tracks back...

It's obvious in so much that they would have used this as a bullet point in their already limited marketing.

Last edited:

paparazzo

I didn't play these back in the day, so I'm not too bothered by missing tracks. A little janky in parts, but it looks decent to me. 🤷‍♂️

Won't be buying at full price though.

Soltype

I don't know why they would put such low effort into remastering such important games, it honestly looks like a bunch of mods running on old code.

amigastar

I don't know why they would put such low effort into remastering such important games, it honestly looks like a bunch of mods running on old code.
My theory is that it looks like it looks because they wanted to release the game also on Switch and Mobile, so the graphic fidelity is maybe not so expensive as it should be.

Hmmmm

“The thing that drew people to these titles early on was the very specific way that they felt," says Rosado. "So when it comes to redoing them, you hit a crossroads. You can either try and rebuild them and improve them, and in doing so that means rescripting everything and adding new physics. Or you acknowledge that these games had a very secret sauce that people fell in love with, and it would be a fool's errand to try and replicate every single element—the good bits and the frustrating bits. So one of the first choices we made for these remasters was to leave them intact."

Slaylock

Hmmmm

“The thing that drew people to these titles early on was the very specific way that they felt," says Rosado. "So when it comes to redoing them, you hit a crossroads. You can either try and rebuild them and improve them, and in doing so that means rescripting everything and adding new physics. Or you acknowledge that these games had a very secret sauce that people fell in love with, and it would be a fool's errand to try and replicate every single element—the good bits and the frustrating bits. So one of the first choices we made for these remasters was to leave them intact."

"So there's an expensive way to do these and a cheap way. We went with the cheap way."

Filben

Fired up the OG version just now with 'Updated Classic' mods that improve them already a bit. They still have great atmosphere and decent but fun gameplay. But you really see some oddities when you look too close. Also these games are quiet man... when you're not in the car and listen to the radio there is no music, score, whatsoever. And with the light traffic density it really hurts the atmosphere.

I find RDR had a good solution with quiet moments but some subtle score playing in the background from time to time. Not sure how it was in GTA IV and V... it's been too long ago.

But the new graphics are really something I'd like to see on my PC... really like how they managed to get closer to the artworks with the actual visuals. Like the style and I think for a remaster it's okay. But damn 60 EUR or 20 EUR per game is a bit much. If it was 30 EUR in total I wouldn't think twice. And using a VPN only get me close to 48 EUR.

Think I'll wait for reviews and patches and the first price drop.

clem84

Gold Member
With the amount of money the GTA franchise is racking in, they had all the ressources necessary to polish it up and make this newer release something really special. It's really disappointing they didn't do that.

Last edited:

It’s easy money, they know people will buy this in droves. The tail wags the dog these days, there are exceptions like Konami with efootball however more and more people don’t like expectations from others.

“Well what do you expect “
“Let the haters hate”

And let’s not forget the avalanche of media and “influencers”, because of the likes of them and their relationships with publishers, it’s the consumer who has to call things out and on occasion is seen as the bad guy , toxic and hate. When the consumer calls bullshit out the media label it as such “fans react negatively” , well what’s their take? Silence.

So what happens to expectations and standards? They dwindle from time to time.

It’s becoming a farce . They work for us, to get our money which is now taken for granted and having some standards for games is seen as some unreasonable trait.

nordique

Oh I guess that’s what the other guy was trying to say. No wonder it looked impressive.

Someone May have been replying to this video that it was fake (this is the one I referred to earlier and someone said it was confirmed to be a fake)

How are people faking these on the switch? And why go through so much time to fake it lol

We will see the real version tomorrow

Last edited:

Kacho

Someone May have been replying to this video that it was fake (this is the one I referred to earlier and someone said it was confirmed to be a fake)

How are people faking these on the switch? And why go through so much time to fake it lol

We will see the real version tomorrow

Yeah not sure either. The guys channel seems legit and Switch focused, but I don’t care enough to dig in further. We’ll have loads of gameplay tomorrow.

Roufianos

'I know she sounds kinda crude but she feels kinda good'.

Genuinely can't put a price on cruising around Liberty City with this playing 😁

Top Bottom