• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V: E&E has a good chance of being delayed by 1/2 months

cormack12

Gold Member

· I received some information recently regarding the title: Grand Theft Auto V: Expanded And Enhanced.
· The development was complicated. At the moment it is still in March, but there are great chances that it will be postponed to April/May.
· An R* Article coming soon.

Wtf is going on at R*, could RDR2 really have been the last hurrah?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Seemingly a result of trying to curb crunch time. The entire pipeline was always going to have to slow down to accommodate that, you can't physically get the same amount of work done in reduced hours.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

· I received some information recently regarding the title: Grand Theft Auto V: Expanded And Enhanced.
· The development was complicated. At the moment it is still in March, but there are great chances that it will be postponed to April/May.
· An R* Article coming soon.

If they do delay a slightly enhanced edition of such an old game already ported to Xbox One and PS4 they should do a deep dive of why… this game made tons and tons and tons of money and given how Rockstar handled the remastered GTA collection I am unwilling to give them the benefit of doubt.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Seemingly a result of trying to curb crunch time. The entire pipeline was always going to have to slow down to accommodate that, you can't physically get the same amount of work done in reduced hours.
From what they have shown so far and Rockstar recent histor… no, I do not buy it sorry.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
From what they have shown so far and Rockstar recent histor… no, I do not buy it sorry.

Not sure which part you don't buy. Rockstar have actively been trying to combat crunch after RDR2 and now they can't even get a deluxe edition of GTA V out on time. Lines up to me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not sure which part you don't buy. Rockstar have actively been trying to combat crunch after RDR2 and now they can't even get a deluxe edition of GTA V out on time. Lines up to me.
Correlation != causation at best they are trying to reduce costs / pass the cost as in delay to customers. After the shitshow of the GTA remastered collection, taking a mildly enhanced port of the same old GTA: V to PS5 and taking forever with it… 🤔

Last edited:

AV

Correlation != causation

Yet it's the only thing we have any scrap of evidence of, so it's the best assumption we can make and a very realistic one. What's the alternative, Rockstar has lost a significant chunk of its development force and isn't hiring to replace them?

If by "Rockstar's recent efforts" you meant the remastered trilogy, it was outsourced to a team who have nothing to do with GTA V E&E.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yet it's the only thing we have any scrap of evidence of, so it's the best assumption we can make and a very realistic one. What's the alternative, Rockstar has lost a significant chunk of its development force and isn't hiring to replace them?

If by "Rockstar's recent efforts" you meant the remastered trilogy, it was outsourced to a team who have nothing to do with GTA V E&E.

Guess where the buck stops? At Rockstar. Period. They managed that project and the budgeting and the timelines and they are the same ones doing it for this “enhanced” trilogy.

GTA: V made a huge huge amount of money for the company, they ported and reported it over and over. They already made Xbox One and PS4 enhanced ports and I guess they got dev kits early… most likely explanation? “People will buy it anyways, no sense in really spending a lot of money to do a super job and be sort of on time for the console launches (it is over a year in now, btw) and they are accustomed to delays with covid anyways, do not throw a lot more money at it”.

AV

Guess where the buck stops? At Rockstar. Period. They managed that project and the budgeting and the timelines and they are the same ones doing it for this “enhanced” trilogy.

GTA: V made a huge huge amount of money for the company, they ported and reported it over and over. They already made Xbox One and PS4 enhanced ports and I guess they got dev kits early… most likely explanation? “People will buy it anyways, no sense in really spending a lot of money to do a super job and be sort of on time for the console launches (it is over a year in now, btw) and they are accustomed to delays with covid anyways, do not throw a lot more money at it”.

I would argue that the overwhelmingly negative reception to the trilogy is the other major contributing factor why this thing is taking so long. They don't want that PR again and are going through this port with a fined-toothed comb for a perfect release - rather than the idea that Rockstar themselves and not GSG are somehow suddenly incapable of pulling off a port for some reason.

My point is, no matter who's developing what or how incompetent they are, we know they are scaling back works hours to combat crunch (after yet another negative PR hit about it) this absolutely is going to have an effect on the speed at which all their products come out. I'm not defending how badly any of this is being handled though, it's shoddy.

Moses85

Just cancel it and give us GTA 6

Its about dam time to stop
episode 4 abc GIF by The Bachelor

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I would argue that the overwhelmingly negative reception to the trilogy is the other major contributing factor why this thing is taking so long. They don't want that PR again and are going through this port with a fined-toothed comb for a perfect release - rather than the idea that Rockstar themselves and not GSG are somehow suddenly incapable of pulling off a port for some reason.

Or just want to let the clock run and hope that people forget and/or let hype change the overall perception.

My point is, no matter who's developing what or how incompetent they are, we know they are scaling back works hours to combat crunch (after yet another negative PR hit about it) this absolutely is going to have an effect on the speed at which all their products come out. I'm not defending how badly any of this is being handled though, it's shoddy.

It could have a lot of effect depending on how they manage it… which they are responsible for.

Last edited:
Even though GTAV is still being supported through content updates and micro transactions, a part of me still wants it to keep going. I don’t even play it, but I like the content packs for what they introduce.

Kerotan

If they do delay a slightly enhanced edition of such an old game already ported to Xbox One and PS4 they should do a deep dive of why… this game made tons and tons and tons of money and give how Rockstar handled the remastered GTA collection I am unwilling to give them the benefit of doubt.
The cheap bastards should have tripled their staff count based off the amount of money they have made and continue to make from GTA V.

As Trevor once said, you gotta speculate to accumulate.

Hooks

What are they even struggling with? The enhanced trailer didn’t even look any better than the PC version. Didn’t they announce this at the ps5 announcement lmfao

Last edited:
I don't give a shit. Finished the game on three different platforms. PS3/PS4/PC.

I can tell you right now that the differences between PS5/PS5 Versions will be marginal.

Game will be a huge dissapointment just Like the definitive Trashdition.

Fuck Sharkstar.
(Still hoping for a great GTA VI😉🤷🏼‍♂️)

Last edited:
I don't see the point of enhancing and remastering GTA V when the vanilla version has sold so many copies that almost everyone in the world has one. Who are they expecting to sell this to?

Vanilla GTA V is still selling, so why not dedicate your dev resources to the sequel instead of trying to resell GTA V to people who probably already bought it and rebought it 2 - 3 times.

anthony2690

Gold Member
I would say does anyone even care, but then I look at the most played games and for some reason GTAV is consistently in the top 5 most played games (I don't get it myself, as the gameplay really isn't that good)

yurinka

I assume that after all the shit they got with the trilogy want to make sure this one is properly released. So probably they take some extra time for polish and bugfixing. Something normal specially considering covid.

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's going to be interesting if it turns out to look identical to the PC version that was released like 7 years ago.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I watched the trailer, how in the fuck was it enhanced? Utterly shameless cash grab.. how about you put those billions to a proper all singing all dancing upgrade with a full SP expansion and then maybe you'd get some respect back... But at the end of the day R* don't give a shit, idiots will lap it up in droves

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I didn’t know enhanced GTA 5 was a thing, they have not said anything about GTA VI.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Really depends on where they are slow, if it's technical resources, and crunch is cut, throwing money at it won't speed it up that much.

Unless that money is going to pay for crunch/overtime. Software projects don't scale out (add people) as well as they scale up (make those people work longer hours), hence crunch in the first place.

For some reason paying people massive amounts of overtime went out of fashion awhile ago lol

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't give a shit. Finished the game on three different platforms. PS3/PS4/PC.

I can tell you right now that the differences between PS5/PS5 Versions will be marginal.

Game will be a huge dissapointment just Like the definitive Trashdition.

Fuck Sharkstar.
(Still hoping for a great GTA VI😉🤷🏼‍♂️)
You could even call them exacty the same....

Robb

Gold Member
I still can’t believe they’re actually going to release GTAV.. again. They’re milking that cow to the absolute max.
lb6mwdq7b2151.jpg

I’m not buying it again, that’s for sure. But hopefully the quality will be better than the recent trilogy. Whoever green-lit those games should be fired.

Woodchipper

I’ve grown to love to hate Rockstar the last year or so, and they keep embarrassing themselves. What a bunch of fucking losers 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom