• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1650 overtakes GTX 1060 as most popular GPU on steam

Guilty_AI

According to the Steam survey of November, the GTX 1650 is now the most popular graphics card on the platform, leaving the GTX 1060 on 2nd place after reigning supreme for 5 years.
In 3rd place we have the RTX 2060, and in 4th the RTX 3060 for laptops (with the traditional version in 6th).

Crossing the amount of last known monthly active steam users (132 million) with the percentage of users of each of these models we get:

GTX 1650 -> 8 million users
GTX 1060 -> 7.35 million users
RTX 2060 -> 5.9 million users
RTX 3060 L -> 5.89 million users
RTX 3060 -> 4.34 million users

How many users own an RTX card?

If we include all models of RTX cards we get a total estimate of 42.78 million users enjoying RTX cards.
Excluding lower budget models, more specifically the RTX 2060 series and the RTX 3050 series, we get approximately 29.4 million users.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

More people have RTX cards than PS5 and Series combined?
Its just an estimate crossing the number of monthly active steam users with the percentage of users with RTX cards. Can't say these numbers are precise but they do give a good idea.
Its also only higher when you include budget RTX cards.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That's cool, the poor 1060 deserves to rest.

Had it on a laptop, pretty cool card which allowed me to play most last gen games at 1080p/60fps.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
with the low prices of the 6600 its kind of disappointing it didnt take the top spot :( all those 1060 and 1650 owners really need an upgrade
I'm thinking on getting that one instead of a console by January, the thing is jokingly cheap for the performance it gives, honestly... I want to go cheap so I can retire my 1060 3gb for good and can't spend too much on a GPU right now, was already giving up on upgrading but the prices are tempting me

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This gen has been pretty disappointing so far.

WIth both Microsoft and Sony releasing their games on PC as well, there's not much incentive to buy a next gen console.

I'm guessing most people will go the "mid/high end GPU + Nintendo console" route this gen
Extra options for gamers = dissapointing
Got it.

Last edited:
At what place is the first AMD in the charts?
No matter where they are now AMD will change all this generation.their entry and mid level cards will be way more powerful and cheaper than the Nvidia cards.They will win lots of market .

This gen has been pretty disappointing so far.

WIth both Microsoft and Sony releasing their games on PC as well, there's not much incentive to buy a next gen console.

I'm guessing most people will go the "mid/high end GPU + Nintendo console" route this gen
I should have bought Elden Ring on Steam instead of Series X. I could be playing it on Steam Deck.

Guilty_AI

At what place is the first AMD in the charts?
No matter where they are now AMD will change all this generation.their entry and mid level cards will be way more powerful and cheaper than the Nvidia cards.They will win lots of market .
The first one that appears on the list is a integrated graphics card in 13th place. The second one is the RX 580 in 21th.

hlm666

I thought the 1060 was better?
If so we are going backwards...
Instead of laughing feel free to use that energy to go get the numbers out of that table/survey for us showing the 1060/1650 laptop only sales. it's also makes your comment about going backwards wrong because the most popular gpu is definately faster than a 1060.

S0ULZB0URNE

Instead of laughing feel free to use that energy to go get the numbers out of that table/survey for us showing the 1060/1650 laptop only sales. it's also makes your comment about going backwards wrong because the most popular gpu is definately faster than a 1060.
You made the statement.
Show some numbers.

hlm666

You made the statement.
Show some numbers.
God your thick. You can do the math looking at the first post where the 3060 is segmented into laptop and dgpu number that combine to more than the 1650. Which brings me to the post of me asking you to show us only laptop and dgpu split numbers for the 1650 which you can not do because the steam survey combines them all into that one number for whatever reason.

This article proves you're 100% correct.

Not sure what that troll is on about.
If your referring to me as the troll, 3060 has more users than the 1650 brainiac when comparing like for like (i.e laptop and dgpu numbers) which is faster than the 1650/1060 no?

Guilty_AI

If you combine the mobile and dgpu segments for the 3060 like the 1060 and 1650 do in that survey the 3060 is the most popular gpu.
Its a good observation. Usually just looking at the top spot isn't a good measure for the market. Although the GTX 1650 is fairly popular by itself there are still other similar models affecting the numbers.

Basically we have something like this:
rtx 3060 series -> 9.94%
gtx 1650 series -> 8.08%

So i guess its safe to say the RTX 3060 models are the de facto most popular ones. Well, there are still tons of variables to take into consideration, i think if we took everything between a rtx 2060 and a gtx 1650 in terms of performance we'd get more than stuff beyond the 2070 capabilities.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Does it really make sense to combine laptop and PC? Performance wise a 3060 on laptop isn't the same as a 3060 on desktop.

If you're looking to measure dicks, then sure it makes sense to combine them.

If you're looking to make a game (which is what these stats are for) and are looking for the most optimal baseline performance to target for the mass market, then you really can't combine them.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Console players:

i wanna go home tom hiddleston GIF

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Does it really make sense to combine laptop and PC? Performance wise a 3060 on laptop isn't the same as a 3060 on desktop.

If you're looking to measure dicks, then sure it makes sense to combine them.

If you're looking to make a game (which is what these stats are for) and are looking for the most optimal baseline performance to target for the mass market, then you really can't combine them.
If you are looking for baseline performance then you are most interested in the median performance or something similar, not the mode. 10% of people having a 3060 means that 90% of people don't.

lukilladog

That is not even the 1650 super, it's just sad that it took nvidia 5 years to replace the 1060 with that POS. Bravo!:

index.php

Last edited:
Went from a 980ti to a 2080 when it released. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. 1440 is all I need for a monitor. I do need a new motherboard though as I am still using ddr3.

FrozenFlame

Its just an estimate crossing the number of monthly active steam users with the percentage of users with RTX cards. Can't say these numbers are precise but they do give a good idea.
Its also only higher when you include budget RTX cards.
Sure, but the survey is optional. Believe it or not, during these 17 years, I've only filled (more like agreed) that survey once. Also, something tells me that people with better hardware are more keen in filling that survey than people with weaker hardware.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
God your thick. You can do the math looking at the first post where the 3060 is segmented into laptop and dgpu number that combine to more than the 1650. Which brings me to the post of me asking you to show us only laptop and dgpu split numbers for the 1650 which you can not do because the steam survey combines them all into that one number for whatever reason.

If your referring to me as the troll, 3060 has more users than the 1650 brainiac when comparing like for like (i.e laptop and dgpu numbers) which is faster than the 1650/1060 no?
You're.

Denton

Looking at RX 6600, wow that is a nice little cheap ass card. 215 bucks new and handles all games in 1080p like a champ. PC gaming is becoming affordable again!

Paired with Ryzen 5600, some decent memory and rest of the case and you have a competent gaming PC for price that rivals PS5.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This, a 3060 can technically do RT but it's just as pathetic as PS5 RT.
It's actually quite a bit better than the PS5 in RT and comparable or ever so slightly faster than an RTX 2070S there.

This is pathetic though. The RTX 1060 is freakin' 6 years old and the 1650 isn't any better. The "budget" market has been annihilated. The 1060 came out with a real MSRP of $199 for the 3GB model and $250 for the better 6GB model. The 3060 has an MSRP of $329 with most cards selling at $350+, that's close to the price point that the 1070 was occupying a few years ago and the 3060 isn't even that much better than the 2070 whereas the 1070 absolutely crushed the 970.

NVIDIA currently doesn't have any attractive options at sub $300. Unless you really want RT and have a $700+ budget and can get at least a 3080, you should go AMD. You forego RT, sure, but I personally wouldn't use RT on anything less than a 3070 anyway.

Guilty_AI

Sure, but the survey is optional. Believe it or not, during these 17 years, I've only filled (more like agreed) that survey once. Also, something tells me that people with better hardware are more keen in filling that survey than people with weaker hardware.
It uses the same sample method every other survey out there uses. Naturally there'll be some innaccuracies, but its good enough to give an overall idea of what the current pc user is sporting

It's actually quite a bit better than the PS5 in RT and comparable or ever so slightly faster than an RTX 2070S there.

This is pathetic though. The RTX 1060 is freakin' 6 years old and the 1650 isn't any better. The "budget" market has been annihilated. The 1060 came out with a real MSRP of $199 for the 3GB model and $250 for the better 6GB model. The 3060 has an MSRP of $329 with most cards selling at $350+, that's close to the price point that the 1070 was occupying a few years ago and the 3060 isn't even that much better than the 2070 whereas the 1070 absolutely crushed the 970.

NVIDIA currently doesn't have any attractive options at sub $300. Unless you really want RT and have a $700+ budget and can get at least a 3080, you should go AMD. You forego RT, sure, but I personally wouldn't use RT on anything less than a 3070 anyway.
Yeah I have a 3060 but I'm biased.

Since I switched to PC 60fps is a must for me. And( full) ray tracing tanks performance in most cases.

Top Bottom