• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long can PC gaming last with current prices on graphics cards?

Someone is jealous or blind or both. When it launched it was. Now it no longer is. Is native better? of course it is however the up to 50% performance gain or more is too good to pass up relative to the visual downgrade.
Guy was clearly joking. ..I think.

@TheWeebs Check this thread for comparisons. Particularly post #109 DLSS not only gives a huge performance boost, but can look much clearer in motion.

ZywyPL

Banned
If anything, people have learned by now to pre-order the GPUs directly from NV/AMD site at MSRP the moment they're announced.

Pc will be complete luxury like 30 years ago it already is outside of 1 world. Geforce Now will be pushed hard and Consoles will overtake again. This is nothing new but could be the end of Pc Gaming as the future is Streaming.(internet sucks for most so it will be Streaming and Consoles). Low end Pc will be taken by Apus. Other than that. It looks not good at all for Gaming. Look at the trash that gets published broken and with mtxs garbage on top in full price games. People get sick of it. Also most games are simply not good if you are old enough to know. Teens are fucked they grew up this way, they dont know better. But Cod and BF flopped like never before so im happy that the young ones dont eat shit either.

Zathalus

Around 12% of the 120 million active Steam accounts have GPUs equal to or more powerful than a PS5 or XSX. That works out to over 14 million gaming PCs.

I think PC gaming will be just fine.

ZywyPL

Banned
Around 12% of the 120 million active Steam accounts have GPUs equal to or more powerful than a PS5 or XSX. That works out to over 14 million gaming PCs.

I think PC gaming will be just fine.

But at the same time ~70% of those users are using 1080p displays, which means they don't even need such processing power to reach the same result. So yeah, PC gaming will do way more than fine.

Actually had to go with a prebuilt from a local system builder because or how hard it was to get a card, ended up paying a premium but far less than if I had bought the parts separately, largely due to how insane GPU prices where.

I mean an RTX 3080 which should retail for £650-700 which ain't exactly a cheap card has asking prices above the old Titans which people laughed at back in the day.

I really wish crypto currency just got banned by most financial institutions so the values plummeted but thats never going to happen now.
Yep, they need to ban them. It's not real money and if they are so concerned about "climate change" then they should be more concerned about factory rooms eating large swaths of power from mining.. Since they don't and would rather go after middle and lower class peoples only way of transportation, ie cars. They won't they'd rather try to force me and you to drive super expensive teslas then get rid of mining.

Yeah tons laughed at the Titan prices. High end used to be tops $500 for a 8800gtx.

Also people laughed at the ps3 being $500 when it had a freaking actual ps2 built in but are aok with $500 for a ps5... Frankly I find that expensive for a console. $450 is tops I will pay for a gpu and I don't like doing it really consoles need to be $400 or less, imo.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Also people laughed at the ps3 being $500 when it had a freaking actual ps2 built in but are aok with $500 for a ps5... Frankly I find that expensive for a console. $450 is tops I will pay for a gpu and I don't like doing it really consoles need to be $400 or less, imo.

I laughed at the PS3 because they took out half that PS2 for the EU, said "emulation will do the rest" it was revealed to only work for like 10% of PS2 games via emulation so they said "we will patch it" never did and then asked for 40% more than the US...

It did play PS1 games pretty well though, I got one years later at half it's launch price just to play Valkyria Chronicles.

Last edited:
PC gaming is in a weird spot for me right now. Prices are just asinine, but it still isn't going to kill PC gaming.
This has all but killed the budget GPU market at least for the foreseeable future. Why would AMD/Nvidia create a $200-250 GPU during chip shortages when they can just make more $700 GPUs that will still sell through no matter what?

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 2060S or 2070S when they were easily available. My RX580 8gb isn't doing so well nowadays, and many AAA games I play on console instead.

hlm666

Yeah tons laughed at the Titan prices. High end used to be tops $500 for a 8800gtx.
Nvidia had a higher tier than that card and they tried to push it for over 800 and your gtx price seems to be a bit low.

Here we are 14-15 years later heading into round 2, the amusing thing is it could be intel that create the modern 4850/70 in 2023 to bring prices down.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The big issue for me right now is something happens to my gpu it would cost at least $1,500 to replace it with something close.
Where as of my XsX or Ps5 broke it would cost me $800 with guaranteed same level of performance.

Last edited:

T-Cake

The big issue for me right now is something happens to my gpu it would cost at least $1,500 to replace it with something close.
Where as of my XsX or Ps5 broke it would cost me $800 with guaranteed same level of performance.

Or even an XBox Series S would suffice and still give you a next-gen console whilst in GPU limbo.

BigBooper

I gave up and went XBOX. I didn't start out wanting a new gen console, but I was tired of watching gpu queues and deciding which cards I could settle for if they came in stock. I'll just keep chugging on my 980ti for this gen and then reassess. It can still hold 1080p 60 on most modern games; just have to turn more and more effects down.

As for the topic question, it doesn't seem like the high prices has hurt it all that much, so there's no telling. It makes me wonder what MSRPs will end up at after the shortage crunch is over. If powerful cards stay at $1500+ I might be out permanently.

Pc will be complete luxury like 30 years ago it already is outside of 1 world. Geforce Now will be pushed hard and Consoles will overtake again. This is nothing new but could be the end of Pc Gaming as the future is Streaming.(internet sucks for most so it will be Streaming and Consoles). Low end Pc will be taken by Apus. Other than that. It looks not good at all for Gaming. Look at the trash that gets published broken and with mtxs garbage on top in full price games. People get sick of it. Also most games are simply not good if you are old enough to know. Teens are fucked they grew up this way, they dont know better. But Cod and BF flopped like never before so im happy that the young ones dont eat shit either.
Uhm no PC does not automatically mean RTX3090.

I realize that on neogaf everyone has the latest hardware but there are many PC gamers who are using sub €1000 computers.

But at the same time ~70% of those users are using 1080p displays, which means they don't even need such processing power to reach the same result. So yeah, PC gaming will do way more than fine.
Until those peoples gpus die as they don't last I've had multiple cards from both ATI and nVidia die after 2 years. Only cards that lasted long term for me were 3dfx cards but that company is 2 decades dead (I'm showing my age, shit, lol).

My point is when your gpu dies your fucked unless something is done. To replace my 3060ti it's a crap shoot or pay $1100 to a bloody scalper for a $450 card. I saved my 1650 super as backup but even that will be crap in a few years.

synce

Unless AMD and Nvidia find a way to prevent mining on their chips at a hardware level (and they have no reason to since money is money), it might actually be dead for good. Your card will always be bought first by a miner with a bot, and if you buy used card at this point you might as well burn your money. It wouldn't shock me if everyone is forced to go back to consoles in 10 years.

Ozriel

M$FT
As long as every graphics card that ships is purchased, the sector is in excellent shape.

Maybe not for you, but that's not the question you asked, OP.

The problem is that a massive portion of those GPUs aren't going to PC gaming. Which is what the thread is about

PC gaming isn't going anywhere so don't lose any sleep over it.
Check This Out GIF

Dream-Knife

Banned
Until those peoples gpus die as they don't last I've had multiple cards from both ATI and nVidia die after 2 years. Only cards that lasted long term for me were 3dfx cards but that company is 2 decades dead (I'm showing my age, shit, lol).

My point is when your gpu dies your fucked unless something is done. To replace my 3060ti it's a crap shoot or pay $1100 to a bloody scalper for a $450 card. I saved my 1650 super as backup but even that will be crap in a few years.
EVGA has an amazing warranty.

Excess

The problem is that a massive portion of those GPUs aren't going to PC gaming. Which is what the thread is about
Not sure you understood what was implied: Demand is high, regardless of what's causing it.

Same principle applies to consoles.

I wanted to buy a 3080 when they were announced but I wasn't able to find one and the prices have also gone way out of control. I'm still rocking my 1080 Ti, 16gm ram and 8600k oc'ed to 4.6ghz but because I haven't kept in touch with the latest news, I don't even know if my pc is still deemed "okay" in the pc master race. All I know is that for the moment I can still run the games I want to play absolutely fine and I'm switching to the PS5 for now until it becomes affordable again. Provided I could find high end parts I could buy them I just can't justify the prices for now.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Very tricky situation here. I don't think there will be updates to new generations of boards within 2yrs like the old ways. We probably won't see 400x for awhile. Game devs aren't caught up anyway with the hardware. The only thing we can hope for is the production stalls will disappear late 2022 and we'll start getting more reasonable prices.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Very tricky situation here. I don't think there will be updates to new generations of boards within 2yrs like the old ways. We probably won't see 400x for awhile. Game devs aren't caught up anyway with the hardware. The only thing we can hope for is the production stalls will disappear late 2022 and we'll start getting more reasonable prices.
Really? You think RTX 40 and RDNA 3 won't be coming out this year?

GametimeUK

I've given up currently. I'll play on my PS5, Series X and current 2080, but there's no chance in hell I'm upgrading. As long as conses keep pumping out 60fps games it will soften the blow. I definitely would have upgraded to a 3080 at launch.

gatti-man

This thread cracks me up. If demand wasn’t so high prices would be lower. The fact that there is record demand is what’s driving prices so not really sure what the worry is.

jakinov

Vast majority of PC gamers are playing games from more than a decade ago lol with RECOMMENDED (not mininmum) specs being hardware from 7-10 years ago. We're good for a while. The reality is people buy really expensive gaming machines just to play F2P games with low system requirements.

nkarafo

This thread cracks me up. If demand wasn’t so high prices would be lower. The fact that there is record demand is what’s driving prices so not really sure what the worry is.
The majority of cards don't land on PC gamers hands. Cards will be fine, its PC gaming that om worried about.

KAL2006

Banned
I think unless you are a proper tech enthusiest and into mods and high end graphics console gaming is so much more appealing. With the emergence of instant loading it has made console gaming that much better. And one of the biggest drawbacks of console gaming last gen which is lack of 60fps has been rectified and majority of games have a performance mode. Game sale prices has also caught up with Steam sales and of course you have physical games you can buy used and resell. The appeal of PC gaming is falling due to prices and console gaming performance being decent enough with instant loading and 60fps.

I was looking to get into PC gaming, but it’s essentially impossible now unless you buy a pre-built.

My last PC was in 2005. I had been building my own computers from scratch for 15 years at that point. My daughter has her own PC (MSI pre-built) so I thought I would get back into it and build my own.

It’s literally impossible unless you are content with a 1660super something or other, or you want to pay 3-4x the MSRP. I gave in and just bought a gaming laptop that has a 3060.

Feels like some exclusive club now of whales and the rich.

I have a GTX 1080 and no way I'm paying £700 for some 3060 or £500 for a 2060 old ass card, utterly ridiculous prices. Really to play new games I'd want a new card to utilize the features but the barrier of entry is way too high. I'm out of the loop now and just play the occasional older game and not sure what's going on with the mining, chip shortage, coronavirus and how these cards are being sold out for thousands of dollars or pounds. The upper tier cards which I'm used to buying are no longer attainable. I just can't fathom paying £1500 for a GPU nor £1000, nor £700-800 tbh. £500-600 is where I'm at for a upper end card.

I've just looked a two sites for a 3080 price, they have a bunch listed but no buy button or price or even order to select, it says when a buy button pops up you can then go to buy.

I should be glad I have a 1080 under the circumstances it's still decent minus the newer features, I can even sell now for more than I paid years ago. The new mid tier cards are simply not interesting or powerful enough and the ones that do the job are a £1000 plus and not even available anyway. If I said fuck it, I'll drop a grand or two on a new card I'm not prepared to play the silly games and lottery luck of trying to find one for weeks on end.

Last edited:

JayK47

The current situation is shit. Not that I was thinking ahead, but I was lucky to build my PC in late 2019 just before the shit hit the fan. My old PC was almost 10 years old at that time. My current build will need to last 10 years. I have a low tolerance for shortages and tend to wait them out. With GPUs, there only seems to be small windows of opportunity every 2 to 4 years. There is always something causing shortages. Even in late 2019, I paid way more than I wanted to on a GPU. I used to never pay more than $300 for one. I think I paid around $500 for a GPU and that same card is now closer to $800. Almost 2 years old and it is worth more. I traded up for a card with a friend and he sold the card for more than I paid for it. Insanity.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't get the people who say PC gaming is fine. The reality is that the entry price for a gaming PC has gone up so much that lots of people simply can't afford it. What it means is that the PC market is shrinking and the remaining PC gamers will have to get used to outrageously inflated prices for graphics cards.

Guilty_AI

I don't get the people who say PC gaming is fine. The reality is that the entry price for a gaming PC has gone up so much that lots of people simply can't afford it. What it means is that the PC market is shrinking and the remaining PC gamers will have to get used to outrageously inflated prices for graphics cards.
Thats the thing, the PC market isn't shrinking despite all the pricing and shortages problems. In fact, it just keeps growing, be it in overall active users or even next-gen ready machines (which is comparable or even bigger than the amount of next gen consoles in the wild).

If PC gaming was able to keep going and growing despite all these issues, i think its safe to say its doing more than fine.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
The PC market isn't shrinking at all. In fact, it's expanding.

DaGwaphics

The answer to this question depends on what % of cards are going into gaming systems vs. mining rigs. If gamers are snapping up these overpriced cards in good numbers, everything is fine. If the demand is mostly artificial thanks to miners, that's bad news down the road.

Irobot82

When i boot up my PC I get green and pink line flickering that slowly shrinks to the bottom of my monitor and then disappears.... Not good. I ain't got the cash for these prices.

GymWolf

Yeah, because the majority of gpus are in the hands of players and not miners\scalpers...

Top Bottom