• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Stuart444

My only problem with PoF exploration is that the mobs won't let you.

CC! CONDIS! BLIND! HIGH AGGRO! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That has not been an issue for me outside of The Desolation and that's due to those black puddles that I sometimes don't see in time. The mobs are a lot easier to get away from now than in HoT areas.

Thinking about coming back for the expansion but only started HoT, still worth playing through all of that first or is there some QoL stuff from PoF to get to make it better? I don't really wanna do the story out of order.

Are you also making sure to do the Living World Seasons (Season 2 before HoT and Season 3 after HoT)? If not, you're missing some story anyway then.

That said, the main QoL is the mounts which make the jungle more bearable that said they aren't a requirement obviously so play through HoT and if the Jungle annoys you, just remember, you'll get mounts soon and that will help a lot whenever you go back to HoT areas.... or if you make alts.

I always have to play through the story in order on every character (no skipping stuff) but mounts make doing that a lot more fun since like the glider, once they are unlocked on one character, they are unlocked on all characters. (you can only not use them in instances before you got them, ie you can't use the glider in story instances in Core Tyria and you can't use mounts in story instances in Core Tyria and HoT)

demonkaze

How long does it usually take to hear from support? I tried to login but I haven’t played since 2015 when I had an Authenticator on a different phone. Obviously I can’t get into my account to remove it so I’ve emailed support with all the details of my account and it’s been 4 hours and no reply.

Stuart444

How long does it usually take to hear from support? I tried to login but I haven’t played since 2015 when I had an Authenticator on a different phone. Obviously I can’t get into my account to remove it so I’ve emailed support with all the details of my account and it’s been 4 hours and no reply.

Could be up to a week because of a backlog of support tickets. Just wait and do NOT send in a second ticket, it will push you to the back of the queue and make you wait longer.

Refyref

Took around 9 hours for me on Wednesday.

Refyref

Haven't played GW2 in years.

Any benefit to having the expansions without a max lvl character?

I do believe you need to be at the max level to enter the expansion areas. However, you get a max-level boost for buying the expansion, so you don't need to worry about that.

Scum

I'm no good with builds and whatnot, but I want a Mesmer that causes plenty of condition damage. Am I right in assuming that I'll be on the right track with Viper armour and Sinister trinkets/accessories??

I'm no good with builds and whatnot, but I want a Mesmer that causes plenty of condition damage. Am I right in assuming that I'll be on the right track with Viper armour and Sinister trinkets/accessories??

Which trail lines and weapons are you using? I hear Chronomancer is more powerful than Mirage?

That'll work but full Vipers with Berserker's Runes is actually the best.

Which trail lines and weapons are you using? I hear Chronomancer is more powerful than Mirage?

Chronomancer is the most important support in the game but it's damage is very very low. Dueling/Illusions/Mirage is what you want if you want to to damage as a mesmer.

Scum

Domination/Illusions/Chronomancer with a Greatsword & Sword/Shield.

That'll work but full Vipers with Berserker's Runes is actually the best.

Chronomancer is the most important support in the game but it's damage is very very low. Dueling/Illusions/Mirage is what you want if you want to to damage as a mesmer.

Sweet! Thanks. I'll go off to experiment. :D

Wanderer5

Freaking hell, I am having really bad luck on the deadhouse event needed for the griffon collection. -_- Either I just miss it, or the event fails.

Wanderer5

Completed the Holosmith spec collection to get the Cutting Edge. These spec collection in PoF doesn't seem to take as much as the HoT ones. Probably helps a bit that you don't need to stock on a currency to get a weapon that then opens up a mini collection that includes stocking multiple currencies to complete it lol.

Morokh

how do you get the other funerary armor if you only picked, say, heavy set from the cheevos?

You can buy more at the tomb of the primeval Kings, there is a hidden vendor NPC named 'Primeval Steward' left in the central chamber that will sell you additional boxes for gold and elegy mosaics you can gain from legendary bounties and Metas(lol).
There is also a weapon set that you can unlock but the prices in elegy mosaics for the whole set is certainly more than enough to disgust everyone from Bounties considering the amount of mosaic for every bounty is random ....

Completed the Holosmith spec collection to get the Cutting Edge. These spec collection in PoF doesn't seem to take as much as the HoT ones. Probably helps a bit that you don't need to stock on a currency to get a weapon that then opens up a mini collection that includes stocking multiple currencies to complete it lol.

if you want to complete another collections the prices of the weapons are on par Mystic Weapons pricing, I competed Firebrand collections and Mirage since they both use axe, check the prices for Dagger was 60 damn gold...

You can't craft those weapons either, it's purchase from TP or get lucky from Rare Unidentified Gear..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You buy it from the Steward in the Tomb of Primeval Kings. He's on the left side.
You can buy more at the tomb of the primeval Kings, there is a hidden vendor NPC named 'Primeval Steward' left in the central chamber that will sell you additional boxes for gold and elegy mosaics you can gain from legendary bounties and Metas(lol).
There is also a weapon set that you can unlock but the prices in elegy mosaics for the whole set is certainly more than enough to disgust everyone from Bounties considering the amount of mosaic for every bounty is random ....

Oh, legendary bounties...

Massicot

Yea. I had enough Elegy for the armor but the weapon prices are really high. I guess they can be long term goals...

Morokh

if you want to complete another collections the prices of the weapons are on par Mystic Weapons pricing, I competed Firebrand collections and Mirage since they both use axe, check the prices for Dagger was 60 damn gold...

You can't craft those weapons either, it's purchase from TP or get lucky from Rare Unidentified Gear..

That's what I really don't like about those collections, at least with the Mystic weapons and Machined ones you could be self-sufficient, here your only options are to either be lucky or give gold to someone who has been.
It's the Vanilla precursor situation on a smaller scale all over again.

Yea. I had enough Elegy for the armor but the weapon prices are really high. I guess they can be long term goals...

It's actually the only thing that can be considered a long-term goal in all the reward system of PoF, and yet, not even a collection related to completing the set ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Plus bounties in general really need some practical changes, some balancing and some broad changes, cause they range from not rewarding enough to frustrating, with a TON of visual mess and confusion that ruins the experience.
Then Elegy Mosaics being a random number is another questionable thing, you get usually between 2-8, with the odd 10-25 from time to time and it's still unclear if there is any kind of diminishing returns from doing one multiple times a day.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how's the xpac guys? I bought it, but thanks to Hurricane Maria I haven't being able to play it.

Dizzy-4U

Doing chest runs and events in Bitterfrost using the raptor...

a8mnyrp2.gif

Morokh

how's the xpac guys? I bought it, but thanks to Hurricane Maria I haven't being able to play it.

It makes a great first impression, and like others have said it's a complete 180 from HoT, wether that is good or bad is entirely up to what kind of player you are and what you enjoyed or not about Vanilla GW2 and HoT.

Any type of what people usually call 'end-game' type content is non existant in the new content or has supposedly been left out for living-story which should come soon.

Anything PvP / WwW / Raid related is completely unknown and all we know is that it will come when it's ready with a Living-Story patch which has been a sore point for many invested in those.

My biggest disappointment is actually that it is a complete 180 from HoT instead of building a good mixed balance between what made Vanilla Gw2 AND HoT great.

Hey all

Thinking about jumping into the expansion soon. Just have to go through the base game and HoT quickly, I'm just trying to decide what class to go but struggling to find any playstyle information about the new specializations.

Can anyone post an overview of the new Elite specializations? I'm not sure what any of them are all about, just what I've seen from the announcement video.

That help would be greatly appreciated!

I like it a lot, but I also liked Heart of Thorns. But both expansions are so different it feels like playing a different game. But Factions and Nightfall were also very very different, and I think that's a good thing.

I'm having a great time with it, but it's going to take a while for me to unlock the griffon. Right now I am unlocking elite specializations and trying to discover things without the assistance of guides.
The game gives a good challenge compared to the base game, but it's not as unforgiving as HoT. It's easier to accomplish various things solo.

Really excited to see what they are cooking up in Season 4!

Hey all

Thinking about jumping into the expansion soon. Just have to go through the base game and HoT quickly, I'm just trying to decide what class to go but struggling to find any playstyle information about the new specializations.

Can anyone post an overview of the new Elite specializations? I'm not sure what any of them are all about, just what I've seen from the announcement video.

That help would be greatly appreciated!

WP has a bunch of general overview things about them; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZDJraG7JU&list=PLdxmChRD2epdDFo3Cx0BP7RNm6hN2F4Hj&index=24

cyress8

Banned
It's literally a 180 from Heart of Thorns. Near universal praise, exceptional gameplay/changes, QOL out the ass, funny story, dialogue, crazy exploration, old zones feel amazing with mounts, etc.

It's nothing but good for the game.

Hope they keep going in this direction. The xpac real feels like old school GW2. Best way I can describe how I feel playing it is being relaxed and doing what I want.

HoT forced you into grinding MPs and meta events. Now, I can relax since the grind is pretty low and just chill with the game while I do some side collections.

Only problem I have would be to up the rewards for bounties. Once people are done with their collections, they will move on. Give them rewards like the daily bosses and lessen the reward a little on repeat kills.

mikeGFG

Banned
Okay, I have a problem with this expansion pack: I'm not really sure what I should be doing.

I beat the story mode on my Engineer, and I sure as hell don't have enough gold for the griffon mount-- so I'm not going anywhere near that collection.

Is there a guide that shows off all new weapon/armor skins and how to unlock them?

Hellers

Okay, I have a problem with this expansion pack: I'm not really sure what I should be doing.

I beat the story mode on my Engineer, and I sure as hell don't have enough gold for the griffon mount-- so I'm not going anywhere near that collection.

Is there a guide that shows off all new weapon/armor skins and how to unlock them?

You could do it in bits. Each purchasable in the collection is 25g. You don't have to pay all 250g at the same time. Just grab one when you have some spare gold.. It's also probably worth joining a train at some point for the runes at least since a few of those require metas or bounties.

Goldrush

Think you should still go for the mount. The golds can be acquire later, but a good portion of the collection requires grouping to accomplish. Best to do it now while the population is high.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Anyone having trouble logging in?

I was playing fine earlier, then I closed it to go do some stuff. Now it's saying the game client is unable to access the login server at this time.

Possibly relating it to firewall issue, but I've checked and my game client is set on the safe list.

Any help?

Error Code: 42:0:9001:4402

Massicot

Anyone having trouble logging in?

I was playing fine earlier, then I closed it to go do some stuff. Now it's saying the game client is unable to access the login server at this time.

Possibly relating it to firewall issue, but I've checked and my game client is set on the safe list.

Any help?

Error Code: 42:0:9001:4402

I'm getting in fine, but the twitter account mentioned they were looking at connection problems. It's likely not your firewall.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/918185726990094336

I burned 850 gold on skins before PoF came out, right now I have 4g.

The collection is really awesome, and here is why you should start now:

1) The 250 gold are items you need to buy from NPCs in the maps. But the rest of the collection is doing the meta events, and interacting with griffon nests around the map. Go and unlock the collection. You get a portal device that lets you go back to this place. It's really fun to do the exploration bits.

I highly recommend you unlock the collection now. In the LFG- there are these really fun squads running griphons on all the maps. Between bounty squads, HP squads, meta squads- It's all fun:)

Don't worry about the griphon now. That shit comes later. But once you start the collection you get to try the griphon, and you can equip the griphon every time you find a nest. Its an awesome mount. I really like how it, it's not a real flying mount, but it feels even better than a normal glider.

They just nailed the mounts. They did it without invalidating on-foot gameplay. I love how the combat skill is psychologically making you want to run your mount into enemies to do damage.

In WoW, I became so disinfranchised and lazy I wouldn't even bother to get off my mount to interact. The seamless mounting animation (while moving) is fantastic.

What we need now is a mastery that allows us to change mounts midair.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
All right, time to do griffon mount. The one in Vabbi is easy, I take it the collections in the other zones are as easy too?

Dizzy-4U

All right, time to do griffon mount. The one in Vabbi is easy, I take it the collections in the other zones are as easy too?
There are a couple of legendary hunts that definitely requires a big group to take them down so you may have to use LFG if the map is empty. But other than that yes, they are all quite easy to get.

Spyware

There is one legendary bounty and a couple of group events. When I did it, I tagged up and called out the events. I also saw others do the same thing when I was done. I checked LFG for the bounty.
Even if you can't tag up, just say "Warden group event for griffon" (for example) and link where in map chat, and people will flock to you :)

KiteGr

Has anyone Tried builds with the new Barrier System?
My biggest Gripe with the game right now is how unbalanced it's attribute system is. With the exception of situational use in Raids and PVP where collected gear doesn't matter, in the rest of the game if you are not playing a Glass Cannon you are playing it wrong.

With nothing really scaling with anything, I was hopping that this new mechanic would finally breath some life in the most underused attributes like Healing and Vitality.

Top Bottom