• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

@Soulhouf, if it's really bothering you that much, maybe you should use a pad. I played the PSP game so I had that in my muscle memory for years, so it took me a little while to get used to the different setup. On a pad, basically everything is done with your thumb. The pad is actually still a very good way to play this, since unlike a proper 'fighting game' there aren't any complex execution motions you need to be doing with the movement stick. Like Lost said, the main advantage of having a stick for this game is being able to hold and use multiple buttons at once. For example, you can charge your shot, but still switch targets and melee and boost, which you wouldn't be able to do as easily if you were just using your thumb and the face buttons on a pad. You could probably ask how haly's setup is, since he did some weird stuff involving moving boost and shoot to the triggers or something.

I think if you play with 'us' more and understand how important switching targets is, you might have a better appreciation for it being on your thumb. It's pretty much as important as attacking,* so tell your thumb not to feel like he got demoted.

My comment about a 6-button fighter was because it was sounding like you have never used your ring finger before. Yes, you're asking your fingers to do unusual things because like you said, EXVS is a different game. Even going from the PSP/Pad controls to the stick, the boost button in particular moved to what seemed at first like an unintuitive place.

*Basically if you can see what both of your opponents are doing at all times, you can be prepared for both of them. You can pretty much avoid or block every attack in the game if you see it, as long as you have boost.

The PS3 pad is just awful in this game. Actually I'm exaggerating, it's not that bad when you use it not knowing Arcade Sticks exist. But once you try a quality arcade stick, there is no going back.
And don't get me wrong, I can use switch when I want to since it does not require combination with other buttons. I tried it and actually it's pretty comfortable with my custom setting, so forget about what I said to donkey show earlier. Now I will be spamming switch bullets since I know it's important.

BTW I just tried *again* that default setting and OMG it's even worse than what it was when I began playing. There is no way I can put 3 fingers on the 1st line at once. What the hell seriously. I have big hands and still I find the buttons far away from each others to stick my 3 fingers on in the same time. It's all but comfortable. How do Japanese players do that with their little hands? O_O

@Haly: That is madness XD

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey, it works, and I don't have to drop $$$$$ on sticks as well.

Hell I'll fight you on this, prepare to eat pad-missile death.

JKTrix

Play some Soul Calibur, it uses the same layout. I kind of want to see how you rest your hands on it if it's that far for you. Lemme get a picture of mine.
Edit: The Weapon of Choice
pI2w6.jpg

Slightly Customized RAP
tWoh9.jpg

Alternate RAP
EIgR3.jpg

I've never actually had my hands on a Madcatz TE, but I imagine it can't be too different from the Real Arcade Pro. I kind of like using the curved buttons, but I know plenty of people who prefer to use the 6 straight buttons on the far end. Perhaps you could try that on the TE.

Either way, for me, I have the right edge of my hand closer to the right edge of the buttons (if that makes sense), so my ring finger would naturally curl onto the button it needs to. So does the middle finger. My pointer finger is the one that is actually 'stretched', though it doesn't really take any effort to reach its assigned button. Totally comfortable. If reaching the ring finger button is your issue, I might suggest moving your hand a little to the right so that finger doesn't have to reach.

I've never had a problem with the arcade stick button layout, but I've been playing with arcade sticks for like 4 years now. As shown in pictures, the default button layout for arcade sticks conforms to the natural shape of your hand/fingers.

Soulhouf

MadCatz TE buttons are exactly like the Real Arcade Pro.
I'm not comfortable at all with my fingers stretched like that. I prefer to switch my fingers on buttons when I play, it's a way more easy to use like that.

I'm really comfortable with my current setting (especially after I tried again that shitty default setting) so I'm happy with it.

PS: I hate playing Soul Calibur with an arcade stick (despite the similarities) if that makes any sens.

BTW I'm planning to custom my stick Gundam themed. Do you have any suggestion?
I will switch the buttons to seimitsu (white, pink and blue buttons) so a white/red/pink Gundam is preferred.

Edit: OMG I just noticed I really have a problem with my right hand when I stretch my fingers but it fits perfectly and it's really natural with my left hand and I never noticed it before O_O
Okay so that explains it I guess...

Soulhouf

@JKTrix: Thanks, it has potential but I prefer a drawn version if possible.

I found this BTW. I have no idea what Gundam Unicorn is but it looks very cool:

U8.jpg

Any other suggestion is welcome.

Edit: OMG this exact same model is in GXVS O_O

JKTrix

As far as watching a show goes, I think Unicorn would be something you might enjoy 'catching up' on. It's not finished yet, but it's only going to be 6 episodes. The 5th is out this month, and the last one comes later in the year. You can rent them directly off the PSN too.

Amuro's Zeta was kind of a half joke. In the game, you have Lunamaria's Zaku, Char's Gelgoog, Char's Sazabi, the Sinanju from Unicorn, Astray Red Frame, Qubeley Mk. II, Gottrlatan, Virsago Chest Break, and Everyone from 00 in Trans-Am. Red is a pretty special colour in Gundam. Not a lot of pink.

Welp. Fixed my YLOD on my other PS3 and the only corrupted save data was my EXVS one... all stats back to 0.

amuroray_crying.jpg
On the bright side, it's not like they can ever take you Platinum away from you. And just think how that W/L ratio will look since you wonth have those beginner losses on your record.

Tier list revised: https://sites.google.com/site/unlimitedbrettworks/gundam-extreme-vs/tier-list

S Qan[T], Full Cloth Crossbone
A Destiny, Strike Freedom > Master
B v > Turn-X, Unicorn, V2, hi-v DX
C 00 > Wing, Turn-A

S Infinite Justice, Tallgeese
A The O > Zeta
B Freedom, Crossbone X1
C Deathscythe, God Gundam, Cherudim, Gottrlatan > Arche, ZZ, Sazabi, Sinanju,
D X2, Raphael, Qubeley, Kshatriya

S -none-
A Char Gelgoog
B Forbidden, Dragon Susanoo > Heavyarms, Blue Destiny
C Hyaku Shiki Virsago, Gundam, Gold Sumo, Strike, Delta, F91, Hyaku Shiki Zeong > Messala, Dynames, Blue Frame, Gunner, Red Frame, Providence, Exia
D GP02 > GP01

S Zaku2 Hildolfr
A -none-
B LaGOWE, Gouf
C Berga Ez8 > ACGuy Zuda Alex Red Qubeley,
D GunEZ

Looks like the Premium Dogfight brought QAN[T] up to the top of the list with Full Cloth. 2000's and 1000's semi shuffled as well with rankings not having any units in them. X-1 and Freedom drop out of A as well.

MechaX

Wow, pretty much all the suits I play as are C tier. Time to get back to learning Zeta.

I am also really curious on how 00 is better than anything among the 3000 suits that's not 00-Raiser related.

Soulhouf

Woot! Found an old save file on one of my USB drives that had my old rank and more recent stats!

Feels good man.

Did that work? Because you cant transfer some save files (especially online games) from a system to another without using PS+.
I hope it does. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass redoing all from the beginning.

Did that work? Because you cant transfer some save files (especially online games) from a system to another without using PS+.
I hope it does. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass redoing all from the beginning.
Yes it did. All stats are kept client side with this game for some odd reason so you can transfer your file to another PS3. The only caveat is that the PSN has to be the same or it won't allow the stat transfer. I tried to do it with another PSN account awhile back, but it didn't work.

Soulhouf

Yes it did. All stats are kept client side with this game for some odd reason so you can transfer your file to another PS3. The only caveat is that the PSN has to be the same or it won't allow the stat transfer. I tried to do it with another PSN account awhile back, but it didn't work.

Thank god.

On a side note I'm stuck in arcade mission 6-F in which i can't manage to get this ex version for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom