• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I took a break from this while I was just getting the hang of it and now I decided to pop the game back in and holy shit I'm awful. I think I just don't understand the basics of this game well enough.

The only suit I have any level of control over is the F91 which as I understand it isn't a particularly good suit.

Any major tips? Preferably something like a good video to watch or maybe a good control scheme suggestion? I feel like the crutch of having shortcut buttons is making me worse.

Also does anyone have a nice clean list of all the mission requirements for all emblems? All the guides I have seen are a huge mess to follow or really incomplete

Shouta

Button shortcuts are fine if you're playing on a pad and intend only to play on it. There are actually pluses to using more than just 4 face buttons like CSb being much easier to use for suits that have it and are useful.

The big thing is to practice your movement and practice maintaining the optimum distance, typically just on the inside/outside of your red lock range but it can vary by suit. Everything else can come as you master that but spacing and movement are absolutely vital in this game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'll definitely have to practice spacing and zoning a hell of a lot more, but regarding control setup, the default control seems a bit awkward on the regular pad, it was fine for older VS games like the classic Fed vs Zeon but this time around I feel limited by it.

Have you had any positive experience remapping certain stuff like jump to R1 instead of X? I was considering doing that last night but I decided against it at the last moment.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pad master race reporting in.

My control scheme is best.

L1: Shoot
R1: Melee
L2: Shoot + Boost
R2: Melee + Boost
X: Boost
O: Target Switch
Square: Shoot + Melee
Triangle: Shoot + Melee + Boost

A mixture of semantic layout and habit.

Not that I'm any good but it does do work for someone as bad as I am at fightmans.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Haly here has a weird ass setup like that, but it works for him pretty well.

I can imagine it would work pretty okay, R1 + Square or Triangle is a lot easier than anything else I can think of. Hell it also eliminates the need for most shortcut keys.

Not that I'm any good but it does do work for someone as bad as I am at fightmans.

Oh man that's an interesting set up, really armored coreish, I was actually thinking about leaving most of it intact and doing

R1: Boost
R2: Target Switch
Square: Shoot
Triangle: Melee
X: Melee + Boost
Circle: Shoot + Boost
L2: NPC commands
L1: Shoot + Melee + Boost

Anything I'm missing?

Haly

You're missing Shoot + Melee.

For me, NPC Commands are Left Analogue Trigger or Right Analogue Trigger (or perhaps, both, I don't remember). It is by far the least important command so it doesn't warrant a real button placement.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah that's what I'm thinking with regards to NPC controls, hell I might just even put them on L3 and then put shoot + melee on L1 moving down shoot + melee + boost to L2.

I think one day i'd actually like to try this game with the basic set up and very few shortcut commands.

JKTrix

Always fun to pick on the little guy, eh

IqyvYRi.jpg

When I play on pad the only shortcut I'm really concerned about is B+C/Melee+Jump, since that's the only combination on the default layout that is not easy to hit. Having Shot and Melee on individual trigger buttons is definitely useful for units like Heavyarms, which I think is what Haly uses the most, since they have charge weapons you can use a lot.

F91 has charge weapons on both attack buttons too, so it could be good for that if you really want to use it that way. If I ever play online with you I can show you a fun trick with those weapons :p

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
F91 has charge weapons on both attack buttons too, so it could be good for that if you really want to use it that way. If I ever play online with you I can show you a fun trick with those weapons :p

Ooooh sounds cool, you can go ahead and add me on PSN if you want(Drillingsworth). My only experience is really minimal and I'm just trying to finish up the last few trials and try to do well on them till I feel like I have a good grip on the mechanics.

F91 is my favorite suit to use though I am trying to diversify and find other suits to play as, the charge shot on the F91 is so goood, and the spinning dual beam saber attack is also fun to use, even if it leaves you kind of open. The real reason I got drawn to the F91 is because it's so straight forward, with very few gimmicks other than the MEPE.
also i just love the mechanical design VSBRs are just fucking awesome

AZUMIKE

Question: Do you guys foresee Mobile Suits from Full Boost being taken away from MAXI Boost? It seems to me that they would only try to add, but idk.

Aizo

Banned
I wish someone could be my tutor for Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost. I always get my ass kicked at the gamecenter (arcade).

I wish someone could be my tutor for Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost. I always get my ass kicked at the gamecenter (arcade).

What sort of competency level with the game do you have with the game?

Are we talking about getting your ass kicked at the "PRO ONLY, NO NEWBIES" cabinets, or the beginner's cabinets?

Aizo

Banned
What sort of competency level with the game do you have with the game?

Are we talking about getting your ass kicked at the "PRO ONLY, NO NEWBIES" cabinets, or the beginner's cabinets?

Ehhhh? The gamecenters I go to put everyone against each other. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between the cabinets. I had the Extreme Vs. on PS3, so I know the controls and everything, but I just get murdered. They dodge every shot I take, and wreck me. I need a tutor to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Ehhhh? The gamecenters I go to put everyone against each other. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between the cabinets. I had the Extreme Vs. on PS3, so I know the controls and everything, but I just get murdered. They dodge every shot I take, and wreck me. I need a tutor to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe you are just being too aggressive. It's very easy to punish new players who rush at you in a straight line and use up all of their boost.

Aizo

Banned
Maybe you are just being too aggressive. It's very easy to punish new players who rush at you in a straight line and use up all of their boost.

I realized this pretty early, so I started staying back and using a lot more projectiles, but I still get messed up.

Haly

I'd have to see your play to criticize it but I'm guessing these are your problems:

1) Not switching your cam and keeping track of both guys and who they're looking at
2) Not paying attention to warning arrows
3) Not moving optimally, either using all your boost every time and doing a cold landing or not boosting enough or boosting when you can step instead to conserve boost
4) Not canceling your shots enough (because you're not seeing the shots coming at you)
5) Using suits with low mobility like FAZZ

Maybe you're just up against a bunch of tryhard pros who've been playing it since it was called Virtual On.

Aizo

Banned
I'd have to see your play to criticize it but I'm guessing these are your problems:

1) Not switching your cam and keeping track of both guys and who they're looking at
2) Not paying attention to warning arrows
3) Not moving optimally, either using all your boost every time and doing a cold landing or not boosting enough or boosting when you can step instead to conserve boost
4) Not canceling your shots enough (because you're not seeing the shots coming at you)
5) Using suits with low mobility like FAZZ

Maybe you're just up against a bunch of tryhard pros who've been playing it since it was called Virtual On.
My dogg. Thank you.
I'll keep these in mind. I do play at pretty big gamecenters, though. The one closest to me has about 20-24 arcade cabinets, and they're always full. Everyone is hardcore, so I get stomped each time.

Haly

Once FB comes out, I'd suggest getting it on PS3 so you can play with us. Most of us are not that good (except for Lost and Shouta), so we can help you learn the ropes.

The community is ded right now though.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Once FB comes out, I'd suggest getting it on PS3 so you can play with us. Most of us are not that good (except for Lost and Shouta), so we can help you learn the ropes.

It was always dead to me

;_;

Aizo

Banned

The problem is that I don't have my PS3 in Japan. It's in another country. :(
It's for this same reason that I'm buying a Vita to play Gundam Breaker and Shin Gundam Musō.

MechaX

I mean GAFGundam specifically.

Hibernation, Haly. Hibernation.

Plus, I usually see Lost and/or Soused repping Gundam GAF online when I'm doing important stuff
like grinding in FFXIV

But for newer FB folk, play with us. We'll show you the ropes, and I'm not that good either, so it'll be good practice for you.

AZUMIKE

There seems to be a greater possibility that Shin Gundam Musou gets localized for the West as opposed to FB. Anyone have ideas to why that might be?? The has been the trend for the Gundam Musou games.

Haly

Well, on one hand, Musou. On the other, obscure 2v2 fighting game that exists predominantly in arcades in Japan.

JKTrix

It's a slightly different Bandai world now than it was when EXVS initially came out. There was a period where Namco Bandai seemed to be shying away from 'anime' releases (that weren't already very popular on American TV). Tales was dead. The commonly held idea was that Koei was the one pushing out the DW Gundam games with them.

Since then, Bandai seemed to have softened up on their 'anti-anime' stance significantly. With Koei, they put out a 2nd Fist of the North Star 'Musou' and 2 One Piece 'Musou' games. On their own, they just put out a (terrible) Saint Seiya game and we're getting the JoJo's fighting game soon. Tales has been revived, and we got Project X Zone, perhaps the mother lode of impossible localizations (next to Super Robot Wars).

Not to say this has any bearing on whether or not Full Boost will be released properly in English, but with their shifted stance and all the noise people like us have made about EXVS since it released, it's much more possible now than it was 2 years ago.

I wouldn't wait, though. Even if it appeared, a localized release will likely have music and stuff removed. I'm one of the crazies that is going to be spending extra for the extra music in FB.

It's a slightly different Bandai world now than it was when EXVS initially came out. There was a period where Namco Bandai seemed to be shying away from 'anime' releases (that weren't already very popular on American TV). Tales was dead. The commonly held idea was that Koei was the one pushing out the DW Gundam games with them.

Since then, Bandai seemed to have softened up on their 'anti-anime' stance significantly. With Koei, they put out a 2nd Fist of the North Star 'Musou' and 2 One Piece 'Musou' games. On their own, they just put out a (terrible) Saint Seiya game and we're getting the JoJo's fighting game soon. Tales has been revived, and we got Project X Zone, perhaps the mother lode of impossible localizations (next to Super Robot Wars).

Not to say this has any bearing on whether or not Full Boost will be released properly in English, but with their shifted stance and all the noise people like us have made about EXVS since it released, it's much more possible now than it was 2 years ago.

I wouldn't wait, though. Even if it appeared, a localized release will likely have music and stuff removed. I'm one of the crazies that is going to be spending extra for the extra music in FB.

Aside from Unicorn on Blu-ray and DVD, Gundam in North American is still dead. We didn't get Gundam Breaker, we didn't get the Unicorn game. I can't imagine that we'd get Full Boost. Maybe a digital-only release of Shin with different music.

We don't get the Gundam Musou games because they're Gundam games. We get them cause they're Musou titles.

Bandai Visual/Sunrise catches all kinds of feels over the poor sales numbers that Gundam pulls in outside Japan and Asia.

There seems to be a greater possibility that Shin Gundam Musou gets localized for the West as opposed to FB. Anyone have ideas to why that might be?? The has been the trend for the Gundam Musou games.

Koei producer basically said it's coming overseas.

https://twitter.com/koinuma_p/status/403070033145765888

But yeah, like everyone said, it's coming because it's a Musou game, not a Gundam game. Koei basically pushed Namco into bringing the previous ones over.

AZUMIKE

Good points. In this case, it seems the Japanese version would be the best choice, regardless of localization (since the chances of FB being localized dependably [voices, music] are slim).

I am getting FB and will give it a shot. I was terrible when I was playing EXVS before and felt kinda bad for whoever got stuck with me on their team.

Enron

Banned
I am getting FB and will give it a shot. I was terrible when I was playing EXVS before and felt kinda bad for whoever got stuck with me on their team.

We are all bad! But it gets better after a lot of practice. make sure you join us on irc - when exvs came out, we organized more than 4 sessions a week and continued playing like that for the better part of a year.

Aizo

Banned
I played in the arcade yesterday, and I got destroyed in front of my friends.
I haven't played in a while, and I got even worse.
;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom