• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 and Dishonored art director allegedly creating Souls-like FPS

GrayChild

Viktor Antonov, famed art director of hit gaming titles like Half-Life 2 and Dishonored, is rumored to be creating a new single-player shooting game based on the Dark Souls-like genre. This started allegedly due to a job posting on LinkedIn that has since been taken offline after going viral around 8 a.m. PT.

The job post came from Eschatology Entertainment, a company that is headed by CEO Fuad Kuliev, with Viktor Antonov as the Visual Director. After someone posted the job listing on the gaming leaks Reddit, it was seemingly taken offline before anyone could get a screenshot. As of writing, there are currently no job listings for the company on LinkedIn or its website.

More details about the project can be found on the company’s website, although it’s more of a pitch than an accurate sense of what the gameplay will be like. There are a few tags that give a better idea though, including:

• AAA
  • Apocalyptic West
  • FPS
  • Hardcore
  • Narrative
  • Souls-like
The description of the developer’s first title is of a gunslinger who’s trying to understand who he is while struggling through a “world enveloped in hellfire and on the verge of destruction.” The job posting was for a “studio head level designer,” which likely means someone with considerable experience. If the company is seeking to create an AAA-level title, it would need someone with that experience.

Barakov

Animated GIF

HL3.exe

Love Antonov's work a lot, but really dislike the souls-like structure and design: The artificial respawns, the spongy bosses, etc. It's all really 'gamey'.

And from the Souls-like Shooters, we have some like Remnant or Returnal. It still didn't click with me, which I find depressing because I really wanna like Souls-likes.

Hope Antonov's game leans more into Immersive Sim territory like Dishonored, but we'll see. Maybe his Souls interpretation finally clicks with me.

Love Antonov's work a lot, but really dislike the souls-like structure and design: The artificial respawns, the spongy bosses, etc. It's all really 'gamey'.

And from the Souls-like Shooters, we have some like Remnant or Returnal. It still didn't click with me, which I find depressing because I really wanna like Souls-likes.

Hope Antonov's game leans more into Immersive Sim territory like Dishonored, but we'll see. Maybe his Souls interpretation finally clicks with me.
Probably pedantic of me, but Returnal is in no way a Souls-like

Top Bottom