• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALF OF IGN READERS WANT A NEXT-GEN CONSOLE FROM SONY THE MOST

Airbus Jr

Banned
And the winner is...

Over the weekend, IGN ran a poll to see which next generation console readers would like to see the most, out of four options – Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and Google.

The poll ran for three full days: Friday at noon through Monday at noon, and received over 40,000 votes.

The winner was Sony, taking over half of the votes at 52.8%, Microsoft coming in second place at 28.5%, Nintendo in third at 14.2%, and Google with only a sliver of the votes at 4.4%.

Discussions around Sony's next-gen console – which we are calling the PlayStation 5

or PS5 until an official name is released – have been circulating for months, with more news coming out recently.

It was already released that PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the PS5, and last month during the Sony Investor Relations Day 2019 Q&A session, Deputy president of Sony Interactive Entertainment, John Kodera, mentioned the possibility of cross-play between the PS5 and other consoles as well.
“Having compatibility is a positive thing. Not only can a game be played on the next-generation console, cross-generation – the community can enjoy the games together... bridging that compatibility has a very important role to play," Kodera said.

PS5 Games We Think Might Already Be In Development

In terms of games, it is unknown if upcoming titles will be released separately for the PS5, along with their PS4 releases. Games including The Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding are on our list of games we think are already in development for PS5. Last month, these three titles were shown in a presentation in reference to PS4 exclusive AAA games to come in the future.
Lead system architect for Sony's next-gen console, Mike Cerny, shared details of the specs for PS5 in an interview with Wired, stating that the console will have a fully updated CPU and GPU, which will deliver a faster system, offer more memory options, and incredible graphics.

The breakdown of tech includes: a third generation of AMD's Ryzen line, which houses eight cores of the new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU will have support for ray tracing, which has never been seen in any game console before. IGN wrote an in-depth piece on what ray tracing is, how it can affect a games performance, and why you should care about it.
The AMD chip will also allow for 3D audio – something Cerny says can really immerse the player into the world.

"As a gamer, it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it," he said.

A release date for the PS5 has yet to be announced, but reports show it will likely be in 2020 or after. Retail price is still unknown as well, but it has been mentioned that the price will not increase too significantly, in relation to upgrades for the new system.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Fake

Expected after PS4 popularity and PS5 BC confirmed the amount just grown even more.

Oh yeah, take this poll when Sony has talked about their console already and when Microsoft still has 6 days until they talk about theirs.
Objective "journalism" right there
tom.png

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Successor to current best-selling console is most anticipated console"

Thanks IGN, whatever would we do without hard-hitting data like this?

• Sony has announced the ps5. We know nothing about Sccarrlett
  • The ps4 has sold around twice as much as the x1 this generation
  • Before both the ps4 and x1 were announced, I'm sure a vast majority of IGN readers were looking forward to the x1 more than the ps4

That being said, the most shocking thing about this poll is how few people responded. IGN's reader numbers are far lower than I expected.

Boss Mog

Sony is set to dominate next-gen unless they somehow fuck up big time and shoot themselves in the foot, like MS did this gen.

Sony is set to dominate next-gen unless they somehow fuck up big time and shoot themselves in the foot, like MS did this gen.
If we've learned anything it's that literally any one of these companies can screw themselves no matter how well they did in the previous generation.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
WHY ARE YOU YELLING IN YOUR THREAD TITLE?
Cruise control for cooooooool

Online polls are dumb as hell. It's incredibly easy to create a bot to skew the results, or submit your vote multiple times and have it counted

The chans brought this to light ages ago

Stuart360

I expect PS5 to 'win' next gen, although i expect it to be much closer than this gen.
I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft will be happy as long as both consoles sell enough to push those services, as thats where the real money is.

FranXico

Ok? The poll is asking people about a system choice, at a time that very little is known.

That poll gets a big "meh" from me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
  • Sony has announced the ps5. We know nothing about Sccarrlett
  • The ps4 has sold around twice as much as the x1 this generation
  • Before both the ps4 and x1 were announced, I'm sure a vast majority of IGN readers were looking forward to the x1 more than the ps4

That being said, the most shocking thing about this poll is how few people responded. IGN's reader numbers are far lower than I expected.

40,000 votes is ALOT!

Dabaus

Banned
Does anybody find it odd that after Ceny, ps5 Wired interview that all of the "Xbox set to dominate next gen" articles seemed to miraculously dry up? I t seemed like every other day a forbes or window central article would come out about how cloud streaming is the future and how xbox is ready to take over the world. Now nothing.

Wonder if this is the result youre looking for?

What? The point was 40,000 people (votes) is not a lot. It's the equivalent of 10 days of sales for one system multiple years into its life on an average/off month in the US.

10 days out of the average 2,555 day generational cycle. It's not a lot.

Airbus Jr

Banned
What? The point was 40,000 people (votes) is not a lot. It's the equivalent of 10 days of sales for one system multiple years into its life on an average/off month in the US.

40,000 is quite alot of visitor for a gaming website

i see you still want that hug sweatheart

heres another one coming

tenor.gif

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
IGN readers are mainly Gaf members confirmed.

(funny post/joke post)

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

How do you think samples and surveys work? It being a small sample size isn't out of the norm because that's how most surveys and experiments are done, what matters is whether the sample is representative of the population because you don't want to have selection bias.

Seems thy did it fair and one can extrapolate from their. I don't get this issue? 🤔PS4 is by far more popular than Xbox World wide and even took back the United States when Xbox had that last Gen. What you think most ppl aren't happy with their ps4s? Lol I mean the games have been solid all the way through compared to the mediocre showing of Xbox. Of course more ppl are excited for PS5.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
How do you think samples and surveys work? It being a small sample size isn't out of the norm because that's how most surveys and experiments are done, what matters is whether the sample is representative of the population because you don't want to have selection bias.

Seems thy did it fair and one can extrapolate from their. I don't get this issue? 🤔PS4 is by far more popular than Xbox World wide and even took back the United States when Xbox had that last Gen. What you think most ppl aren't happy with their ps4s? Lol I mean the games have been solid all the way through compared to the mediocre showing of Xbox. Of course more ppl are excited for PS5.

Why would you hold this poll mere days before Microsoft talks about their next-gen plans when Sony has recently already discussed theirs?

It's non-objective.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Why would you hold this poll mere days before Microsoft talks about their next-gen plans when Sony has recently already discussed theirs?

It's non-objective.

Dynamite, sounds like you have a great thread and poll for after both machines are revealed.

Last edited:

vpance

Unless MS does something extraordinary like a $299 Anaconda, I don't see this percentage changing a whole lot in their direction next gen.

Lord Phil literally announced the thing during their presentation. Sure they didnt say much more, but Sony has said nothing but BC and SSD, which is nothing really (considering BC is a given for the next Xbox anyway).
Stating the obvious that there is a next-gen system isn't talking about their plans or their system... It's stating the obvious...

Get a grip.

II_JumPeR_I

What a pointless poll..
Maybe asked again when MS is in full Nextgen Reveal swing...

Expected after PS4 popularity and PS5 BC confirmed the amount just grown even more.
I find it funny that folks are so confident that PS5 BC will work with every PS4 game flawlessly.... I can already see that headline "Only a limited amount of PS4 games will work" etc..

Last edited:

Barnabot

Console Warring Intensifies

A wholesome and worthwhile debate will come from this- one with much civility, politeness and reasoned discussion. Mark my words.

HONK! 🤡
You know history has told me that some forum's userbase had been previously taken over by a brand new one just because some member's favorite console was not the top dog at the moment.

Just saying... 🤔

EDIT:
Also the thead title could use some more caps

Last edited:

Kacho

Can't blame them. Sony has had the momentum since before current gen started and hasn't let up since. Microsoft has made some good moves recently, but nothing that would budge most of those who ditched them. I'm sure they have some good stuff prepped for next-gen, but they seriously need to go above and beyond to have any chance - and that's just in the USA. Sony has the rest of the world on lock.

Good luck with all that Microsoft.

Top Bottom