• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just finished the campaign. I did not understand anything. wtf. Someone explain please.

Grisby

Got a bit into mission 2 before taking a few stabs at MP.

This game plays very good. Gunplay is damn fun.

Oh my god, the music got upgraded something fierce. I think I shed a bit of a tear at the beginning of Mission 2. That intro cutscene was fan-gasm inducing.

Presentation is top notch. Just...the sounds of the guns and the battlefield noises.

Damn. Damn.

Please, please let the rest of the campaign hold up. Need to sleep for work, but ohhhhh maaannn. Halo freaking 5.

The install time on this game is simply inexcusable. Shameful, really. Sitting here waiting 3 hours now.

Well it's 55 GB no?

I am sitting here with disc in drive waiting on the 9gb patch only. It's been downloading for two hours. It's at 40%. With my internet it should have taken half an hour.

Spoiler tag that stuff guys.

God damn it, for real. Anyone who spoils without tags goes straight to ignore list.

even if disc in drive you still need to download the whole game.... don't you?

I'm sitting at 2 hours now

...why would you think that? Then what in the world is the point of a disc?

How it usually works with discs is that you put it in, it downloads patches first (why i dont know but thats the xbone), and then it installs the rest off the disc.

Orca

Just finished it on Heroic. Took juuuuuust under 10 hours. Really liked it, looking forward to 6, the setup for it is pretty solid.

Gestault

The full install/update took roughly one and a half hours for me on mid-range internet. I won't lie though, the first impression of gameplay visuals was underwhelming. By the halfway point of the second mission, things seemed to click. This game is well done.

Just wanted to drop in and say that the boss fights in this game are awful.

AWFUL!

If you're not already doing it make sure you tell your teammates to target the boss as it helps with damage (obviously) but more importantly allows you to always know where the boss is with the red outline by targeting him even if you were to normally lose track of him or he was out of a line of sight and also creates distractions so you can get critical shots on the bosses back.

ShogunX

Yeah... Didn't realize smart link = ADS...

Played my first MP. Got my ass kicked, couldn't aim to save my left. Which is weird cause my aiming in the other games were just fine but in this I always find my aim just off of them.

Halo 5 has a lot less auto aim than the likes of COD and Destiny hence you feeling your shots are off. Take a while to get used to but it certainly widens the skill gap.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If you're not already doing it make sure you tell your teammates to target the boss as it helps with damage (obviously) but more importantly allows you to always know where the boss is with the red outline by targeting him even if you were to normally lose track of him or he was out of a line of sight and also creates distractions so you can get critical shots on the bosses back.

Totally forgot about targeting....

Evo X

Is anyone else having problems with rank resetting? My SR is gone, and i'm in not Onyx in SWAT anymore...

This is not cool.

Yes, lost my SR and Onyx as well. :/

YtwifOg.jpg

My commendation progress still seems to be there.

Also never got the first 2 premium REQ packs even though I bought the digital deluxe edition.

So much for hoping for a faultless launch.

Yeah... Didn't realize smart link = ADS...

Played my first MP. Got my ass kicked, couldn't aim to save my left. Which is weird cause my aiming in the other games were just fine but in this I always find my aim just off of them.

Halo 5 mostly relies on bullet magnetism, aim assist is minimal to almost non-existent.

nath999

A weird thing happened for me too. I put the disc in my console and left it to install for about an hour, then when I came back to it it wasn't recognized and just said "install disc", but clicking that started the install. I never had to do that before, putting the disc in just used to start the install and would certainly recognize the game.

If you're on the NXOE you get that for some reason.

Kalentan

Halo 5 has a lot less auto aim than the likes of COD and Destiny hence you feeling your shots are off. Take a while to get used to but it certainly widens the skill gap.

When I said other games I actually meant the other Halos. My aiming in Halo 4 at times was god tier. :O

Though it seems bringing my sensitivity from 7 to 6 actually really helped.

Madness

Make your teammates get all the extra weapons in the room. So much easier when you can get them holding railguns, or saws etc. And when it's a large room try and keep them near you for easy revives. The last thing you want is them down on their own against Hunters or Knights while you're off somewhere hiding for pot shots.

As for installs, try and do the disc install offline, and then go online for the patch update. Anecdotal but I'm hearing it's faster that way.

"Anybody got an infusion? Anybody? Anybody?"
"They killed him dead!"
Grunt: "I got one of the demons!"
Elite: "Keep going, GRUNT."
The Grunt dialogue is killing me

PooBone

Later on there's bossfights with
multiple targets. Targeting one is a surefire way to get your entire team murdered in the back. The AI simply can't hold up in later levels.

Evo X

When I said other games I actually meant the other Halos. My aiming in Halo 4 at times was god tier. :O

Though it seems bringing my sensitivity from 7 to 6 actually really helped.

I had to lower my sensitivity down to 3 to be good at this game. Usually ran between 5 and 7 in the other Halos.

Strider

Those pics need to be in quotes so bad :/

Anyway from the posts I saw it almost seems like the profile/rank resets were just issues loading the profile correctly as opposed to legit resets. That's why people like Exploratory has stats showing up differently at times depending on who views his Service Record. Probably due to so many people on the servers...

If you go to Waypoint on your PC does it still say everything was reset or does it have your stats loaded correctly?

PooBone

The biggest surprise to me regarding this campaign, not really a spoiler but you
only play as MC for 20% of the campaign?

What is the likelihood that 343 can update the matchmaking lobbies with a patch? The UI in this game is really clean and slick, but the lobbies themselves are awful. I don't like not being able to see the other team on the screen in the pre-game lobby, and it takes way too many keystrokes to access that information. (You have to hit X and then bumper over to the "Recent" tab to see people in your game. Why?)

Three games now and 343 keeps tiptoeing around Reach's Active Roster. We already had a near perfect lobby system so please just put the damn thing back on the screen at all times. I don't see the incentive to chase after ranks when they aren't even visible in the lobbies. Am not sure what the point of the emblem grid on the left side of the pre-game lobby is either. It's taking up real estate that could be used for map information, and Reach already displayed player emblems vertically alongside gamertags on the right hand side.

At least team changing in customs is easy again. Halo 3 and Reach had it on the bumpers and for some reasons the games after it put it behind THREE submenus SMH

Funny seeing this discussion of aim assist. I just told my brother after 2 missions how much I hate aim assist, and it pisses me off that I can't flip it off. It's pretty atrocious in this game.

PooBone

Funny seeing this discussion of aim assist. I just told my brother after 2 missions how much I hate aim assist, and it pisses me off that I can't flip it off. It's pretty atrocious in this game.

I tend to laugh whenever I hear people complaining about aim assist. Isn't there a skull for that?

Kssio_Aug

Holly damn!! This games is TOP NOTCH!!

Played a bit of solo campaign (until half of the second mission). Am playing at Heroic mode cause I'm used to Halo gameplay but I still find Legendary very hard, so I'll just let that for the future... Specially cause the new spartan abilities still confuses me a bit.

First thing I noticed is that the gameplay changed quite a bunch. The essence of the gameplay is totally there, but it is much faster and the new commands such as ground pound, spartan charge and dash really add much more depth to it! Also it is totally smooth, on both MP and SP... Loved that decision 343! Honestly! The game is perfect in that aspect!

Second thing I noticed is that prometheans weapons are just much more fun now, they're totally changed and felt much more unique! The promethean enemies also felt way better enemies with apparently new abilities, and also they're better designed now.

About the graphics... I'm sorry, but I disagree strongly with anyone who tells me it is not gorgeous! The art direction is amazing!! Everything is so colorful (in a nice way) and beautiful! There's also lots of particles effects everywhere! And about the problems listed in Digital Foundry, they do exist, but I barely notice them in the action!

I have not played matchamking yet. But a group of friends created a custom match for some arena gameplay, and it ran without issues. No lag at all! I still need to try matchmaking though to see how is handling here.

Top Bottom