• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

They are not elegant at all and I think 343 made them too convoluted. Destiny has spoiled me with how the game controls. When I am playing H5, I noticed it takes me about .5 seconds to think about which button to press and that can really hurt.

Same here. The bumper jumper in Destiny is perfect IMO. Love it. I know what will happen... i'll have gotten used to the more inefficient Fishsticks control scheme and when the 12th of Nov hits and i change it to my liking... i'll have to spend another 2 weeks getting used to that lol.

C'mon 343... this has got to be something that could be addressed in-game relatively "easy" no?

Frankie? Any chance in hell at an in-game custom control assign option? :D

TRI Mike

They are not elegant at all and I think 343 made them too convoluted. Destiny has spoiled me with how the game controls. When I am playing H5, I noticed it takes me about .5 seconds to think about which button to press and that can really hurt.

To be fair, you not getting used to H5 controls because you play Destiny is hardly 343's fault.

So will the NXE bring the ability to map any button to any action in a given game?

Yes on Nov 12th.. BUT at a system level. So say you switch X for Right Click and you're prompted to "press X to board ship" or something else and you forget what X "was"... it's not going to say press Right Click to board ship"... it will still say "X". etc. The program changes it as a base level... so i believe it even affects navigating the xbox user interface if you switch the face buttons and stuff... which would be a pain in the ass if you ask me.

Now anyone with the preview PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong. I very well might be.

An in-game solution would be MUCH nicer.

TheDanger

Banned
Indeed, I am always getting picked off from the back when finishing a kill. Also, FFA should just always be on Midship lol.

4633183-8030159931-abatm.jpg

Navy Bean

About halfway through campaign and I'm loving it so far...

However, I can't sprint for the life of me. I'm on the Default layout and it just doesn't work or is clunky as hell. Shooting feels great and much more substantial than prior games.

Torment

Banned
Played several matches of breakout, swat, and arena with friends. I can honestly say from a former professional player in halo that this is the best MP game since Halo 2. The gunplay and balance are perfect, the level design seems top notch, and the way to chain abilities widens the skill gap without seeming frustrating. Haven't played the campaign yet, but I am in love with this game.

The only small gripe I have is alot of the grind seems to be taken away, like after you do your qualifying matches and reach champion, then what is the point to continuing to play that playlist. I miss the level based system, but I think this is better at matching players.

JackHerer

IF by scope-in advantage you mean slight narrowing to bullet spread? Then yes. That's a intentional and in the retail copy.

No, I mean the game automatically scoping back in after you got shot if you held down the left trigger. I play on bumper jumper so I wouldn't know if it's still in or not.

You're a freaking genius! :) I never looked for that option to toggle crouch off in the menu. I will change that to off and my problem will be fixed. Thanks man.

Glad it's fixed :) I don't know why they leave toggle on by default. Maybe a holdover from Halo 4 in which crouch was mapped to B for default IIRC.

TheDanger

Banned
How is it possible i matchmake against US people when i am from the EU in the middle of the day? You dont connect to a datacenter close by?

I'm also from Europe, the thing is the only way to set an Xbox One to English is by choosing an English speaking country which is pretty fucking stupid (The German translations are a joke). So now I set it to UK (had it set to US), it seems like there is less lag now.

E92 M3

To be fair, you not getting used to H5 controls because you play Destiny is hardly 343's fault.

Not at all. I've been playing video games my whole life and get used to new controls within a half hour. Halo 5 just has an awkward control scheme that can't be remedied by anything except paddles or custom settings.

It's not elegant from inception, that is all I am saying. Personally, I find that there is a beauty in simplicity.

If only the radar helped with that lol.

TRI Mike

I think what we're saying is open it up. Allow us to edit the button assignments in-game vs system-wide.

Reasonable right?! Everybody happy :D

Yeah any game should allow us to map buttons definitely but blaming the game because he has to think 0.5 seconds about which button to press is just being a sore loser. Like people who complain in fighting games about the opponent "blocking too much".

Isn't this coming in the new Dashboard update in Nov?

No... AFAIK that is a system wide re-map. Meaning if you switch A to left bumper... you'll be hitting left bumper to select all your apps and stuff in the basic user interface and in all other games until you change that.

Again, i'm fairly certain. Others chime in with hands on experience.

JackHerer

I think what we're saying is open it up. Allow us to edit the button assignments in-game vs system-wide.

Reasonable right?! Everybody happy :D

Not really. It would be pretty dumb to waste resources putting it in-game when it's being added on the system level for everyone in a few weeks. People have been asking for remapping in Halo for years but now it's not really necessary.

N° 2048

No... AFAIK that is a system wide re-map. Meaning if you switch A to left bumper... you'll be hitting left bumper to select all your apps and stuff in the basic user interface and in all other games until you change that.

Agh stupid me. I misread. Sorry dudes.

Spasm

Confirmed. I have to, e.g. launch my games with LS-click, cause the system thinks it's the A button.

They really aren't are they!? This is the type of stuff that 343 really needs to leave to us. Give us the in-game ability to re-map and not have to mess with stuff on the system level with this new remap thing.

Honestly, i think i'd be perfect with Fishsticks having the left bumper thrust and A-button jump switched... so it's a "better" bumper jumper. Ugh have to wait until Nov 12 :(. Somebody save me

This. Fishstick really, REALLY, needs the jump and thrust buttons swapped and it would be perfect. Just got my Elite controller today, so I can't wait to go home and play around with it.

No, I mean the game automatically scoping back in after you got shot if you held down the left trigger. I play on bumper jumper so I wouldn't know if it's still in or not.

Glad it's fixed :) I don't know why they leave toggle on by default. Maybe a holdover from Halo 4 in which crouch was mapped to B for default IIRC.
It doesn't automatically scope in when holding down LT, you have to release and press it again. No advantage there.

E92 M3

Yeah any game should allow us to map buttons definitely but blaming the game because he has to think 0.5 seconds about which button to press is just being a sore loser. Like people who complain in fighting games about the opponent "blocking too much".

Assumptions boulevard. I am not being a sore loser, just stating the fact controls aren't elegant (they aren't).

And the only way to settle this in a classic manner is a 1v1 :p

Not really. It would be pretty dumb to waste resources putting it in-game when it's being added on the system level for everyone in a few weeks.

I'd love it as an update at some point. System level edits will become a pain in the but moving from game to game... back to dashboard.... youtube app... another game... TV... will be a nightmare. Adding this can't be a nightmare with all the other control schemes already in game... i'm sure there's some sort of suite or program they have that they can literally type in what button does what and it's updated... or close to that. ORRRRR i'm just an idiot with no game programming knowledge... could also be very true.

Agh stupid me. I misread. Sorry dudes.

Nah, no worries man. It's sorta the same thing. But just different ;P

Honestly, those two examples are pretty far off lol.

Once is a complaint about unintuitive controls, the other is just being a low tier God.

Confirmed. I have to, e.g. launch my games with LS-click, cause the system thinks it's the A button.

Crap... i was hoping i was not right! That's not a solution... it's cool that they offer that, really it is... but man that would get so damn annoying switching all over the place for Halo 5 and Destiny and BlackOps 3 and Forza and all the Xbox apps and other programs you use... boooooo.

This. Fishstick really, REALLY, needs the jump and thrust buttons swapped and it would be perfect. Just got my Elite controller today, so I can't wait to go home and play around with it.

Yes... see Frankie... TWO votes! Make it happen. I've got tons of Halloween candy i can bribe you with.

JackHerer

I'd love it as an update at some point. System level edits will become a pain in the but moving from game to game... back to dashboard.... youtube app... another game... TV... will be a nightmare. Adding this can't be a nightmare with all the other control schemes already in game... i'm sure there's some sort of suite or program they have that they can literally type in what button does what and it's updated... or close to that. ORRRRR i'm just an idiot with no game programming knowledge... could also be very true.

They should just add an option to automatically switch back to default when in the dashboard.... Actually why is this not in from the start? Doesn't solve the game to game issue but at least for navigating and using apps you wouldn't have to change it.

Could also add game profiles. I'm sure that will be a highly requested feature so it might be added.

arhra

It doesn't automatically scope in when holding down LT, you have to release and press it again. No advantage there.

It actually does. It just takes what feels like forever to do so, meaning you're better off doing it manually most of the time.

Vitor711

Wow, the controls took some time to get used to. When I got into the first level, I was confused as heck. Like, that's not Halo. Feels fine now but I really, REALLY dislike having grenades or those bumpers. They're way too hard to press down and I feel like I'm throwing grenades out later than usual.

I'll see what other schemes are included because I don't think traditional Halo controls would work here since you definitely need the left trigger for ADS.

They should just add an option to automatically switch back to default when in the dashboard.... Actually why is this not in from the start?

Shit... that would help... if it lets you save multiple profiles? Hmmm can you do that per game? That coupled with acting as default in other apps and dashboard wouldn't be bad at all.

Vire

Wow, the controls took some time to get used to. When I got into the first level, I was confused as heck. Like, that's not Halo. Feels fine now but I really, REALLY dislike having grenades or those bumpers. They're way too hard to press down and I feel like I'm throwing grenades out later than usual.

I'll see what other schemes are included because I don't think traditional Halo controls would work here since you definitely need the left trigger for ADS.

It's coming more naturally to me since I've played a ton of Destiny and this seems pretty similar.

It's still an adjustment after playing Halo one way for all these years.

This boss fight on legendary is fucking retarded, whos the person with -5 IQ who designed this shit?

Nerd rage aside, this is seriously destroying any enjoyment I was having in campaign.

EDIT: LITERALLY the worst.

jeffc919

Lé Blade Runner;183241973 said:
As an old-time Halo fan, is Halo 5 worth buying an Xbox One for? I am not interested in any of the other exclusives the XONE has to offer - not that much, anyway - so it's basically a 420€ bill for just Halo 5. Am I stupid for even thinking this? :/

I picked up an xbone specifically for this game, though I paid quite a bit less than retail for a refurb unit. On one hand, it's a little pricey to pay hundreds of $ to play one game at the moment. On the other hand, I primarily play PvP FPS games and I just don't see anything available for my PS4 that would be comparable. Destiny is probably the closest and I've played that a TON over the last year. I really like certain aspects of it (guns, time to kill, movement). Other aspects are maddening however (OP supers, LAG, join in progress, invincible red bar opponents, matchmaking that punishes you for being good behind the scenes but gives you no transparency as to what it's doing). I can't stand COD anymore. I like BF but that's a different sort of FPS entirely. So...as long as the MP clicks for me and I play it for hundreds of hours like I've done for Destiny and BF, and COD before that, it will be worth the $ for me.

Chitown B

Unfortunately, you cannot. I don't know why, either. If you get a few friends, poke Xbox Support, and submit the idea in the Preview Program, it might show up eventually, but chances are slim.

The reason you can't is likely because of the headphone jack and stereo headset adapter peripheral. It's super easy to get a headset that can be utilized with those, so I guess MS just settled on that solution instead. It's weird, and I'm not a fan, but that's business, I guess.

if I had to guess, and it's a total guess - it's that the game sound is DTS and you cannot insert audio into bitstreams due to HDCP. That happened with screen sounds and HDMI audio for one of my bluray players in the past.

jimboton

Noticed there's no control setup that allows the player to both sprint and jump while having both thumbs in the sticks (contrary to my Destiny control setup of choice). Do you guys reckon it's a conscious decision for balance reasons (like, that setup provides excessive mobility or some such) or is it just an oversight?

I keep throwing grenades when I meant to jump :(

Marvel

could never
I love H5's soundtrack, like seriously. Can't wait to do 4 player co op on Legendary and have the volume up loud this time.

Hope I play as Buck lol

ekim

How is the community when it comes to complete newcomers? Never played halo in MP. The last shooter I played with others was modern warfare 1.

Top Bottom