• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

wwm0nkey said:
Then & Now: Weapon Sounds 2

amazing picture from the video
20prh9j.jpg
Oooooooooh

Petrichor

Havok said:
CE always had a centered reticule, it was lowered in subsequent games so that projectiles spawned out of the gun, not the center of the player model's head.

They still did though in Halo 2 and 3 for some guns, not sure about Reach. I thought the justification for the FOV change was that it allowed players to see more of the world at any one time?

Petrichor said:
They still did though in Halo 2 and 3 for some guns, not sure about Reach. I thought the justification for the FOV change was that it allowed players to see more of the world at any one time?

The FOV change was the opposite though. You could see so much in CE, and then it was really restricted in Halo 2 and 3. They widened it again in Reach, but not as wide as CE was.

Toddler

Steelyuhas said:
The FOV change was the opposite though. You could see so much in CE, and then it was really restricted in Halo 2 and 3. They widened it again in Reach, but not as wide as CE was.
I'm not sure I understand.

Isn't Halo: CE in 4:3 while the others are in 16:9? Wouldn't the wider aspect ratio = wider FOV?

orznge

Banned
Toddler said:

Isn't Halo: CE in 4:3 while the others are in 16:9? Wouldn't the wider aspect ratio = wider FOV?

common sense and wanting to have a better experience playing the game would make you come to that conclusion but in reality what happened was the FOV was drastically lowered

feel

Toddler said:

No, the wider viewing angle cone allowed to see more of what was to the sides in Halo CE, even in 4:3. In halo 2 and 3 you got a 16:9 image but you were still looking straight ahead because of the narrow cone of vision and it was really annoying to navigate an environment like that. Thankfully they widened it up again on ODST and Reach, and I trust 343i to keep it wide.

Scullibundo said:
It looks pretty but what is the deal with making previously dark and unnerving areas bright as fuck in this remake? Part of HALO's mood were the dark corners and not quite knowing what lurks beyond.
Agreed, disapointing decision for the sake of improving the impact of the graphical switch button

MrBig

Letters said:
No, the wider viewing angle cone allowed to see more of what was to the sides in Halo CE, even in 4:3. In halo 2 and 3 you got a 16:9 image but you were still looking straight ahead because of the narrow cone of vision and it was really annoying to navigate an environment like that. Thankfully they widened it up again on ODST and Reach, and I trust 343i to keep it wide.
Meanwhile I'm playing Rage, BF3, and all my other PC games at a 100 degree FOV.

wwm0nkey

godhandiscen said:
That is a typo in expert zone. Come on, why would they choose such a random resolution?
There are a lot of random resolutions out there to be honest with you. Its not out of the realm of possibility

Quick question, will the multiplayer component just be the Reach multiplayer with the new maps? New maps + original Reach maps? or will it be like ODST where it has every Reach map including the two DLC packs?

feel

Inferno313 said:
Quick question, will the multiplayer component just be the Reach multiplayer with the new maps? New maps + original Reach maps? or will it be like ODST where it has every Reach map including the two DLC packs?
As far as we know, it's the Reach multiplayer engine with just the new maps. You get to play on all the old Reach maps and playlists using this disc if you have the Reach disc file installed on the hard-drive (or something like that), so you don't need to keep changing discs.

Letters said:
As far as we know, it's the Reach multiplayer engine with just the new maps. You get to play on all the old Reach maps and playlists using this disc if you have the Reach disc file installed on the hard-drive (or something like that), so you don't need to keep changing discs.

I believe it's the other way around. You can download the Halo: CEA maps for Reach, and use your Reach disc to play all of the Reach MP content as well as the new Halo: CEA maps. You'll still have to use the Halo: CEA disc for the campaign though.

Timan said:
Ah, I just remember getting pissed in halo 2 onward about it not being in the center lol, drove me mad.
OH MY GOD! I thought I was the only one who complained about this. Not having the reticule in the middle really drove me crazy. I can deal with it now though.

Just watched the remastered sounds video. GOOD GOD. Why does this have to come next month? :(

strafer

The full list of Halo: Anniversary Achievements lies below.

The Silent Cartographer (25) - Complete the level "The Silent Cartographer" on any difficulty.

Assault on the Control Room (25) - Complete the level "Assault on the Control Room" on any difficulty.

Pillar of Autumn (25) - Complete the level "Pillar of Autumn" on any difficulty.

Halo (25) - Complete the level "Halo" on any difficulty.

Truth and Reconciliation (25) - Complete the level "Truth and Reconciliation" on any difficulty.

343 Guilty Spark (25) - Complete the level "343 Guilty Spark" on any difficulty.

The Library (25) - Complete the level "The Library" on any difficulty.

Two Betrayals (25) - Complete the level "Two Betrayals" on any difficulty.

Keyes (25) - Complete the level "Keyes" on any difficulty.

The Maw (25) - Complete the level "The Maw" on any difficulty.

Tsantsa (50) - Complete any level with at least three skulls active on Heroic difficulty or higher.

What have we here? (10) - Read a terminal.

Heavy Reading (25) - Read half the terminals hidden throughout the campaign.

Dear Diary... (50) - Read all of the terminals hidden throughout the campaign.

Looks like the Oddball (10) - Find your first campaign skull.

Skulls Taken! (25) - Locate half of the skulls hidden throughout the campaign.

Headhunter (50) - Locate all the skulls hidden throughout the campaign.

Birth of a Spartan (10) - Complete every level of the game on Normal difficulty.

Believe in a Hero (20) - Complete every level of the game on Heroic difficulty.

Living Legend (50) - Complete every level of the game on Legendary difficulty.

Standard Operating Brocedure (10) - Complete any level on Normal difficulty cooperatively.

Brovershield (20) - Complete any level on Heroic difficulty cooperatively.

Bro Hammer (50) - Complete any level on Legendary difficulty cooperatively.

He's Unstoppable! (20) - Complete any level on Heroic difficulty or higher without taking health damage.

Overshields are for Sissies (10) - Complete the level "Pillar of Autumn" on Legendary without picking up an Overshield.

Walk it Off (25) - Complete the level "Pillar of Autumn" on Legendary without picking up a health kit.

No-Fly Zone (10) - Destroy three of the four Banshees on "Halo" on any difficulty during a single play-through.

How Pedestrian (25) - Complete the level "Halo" on any difficulty without entering a vehicle.

Close Quarters Combat (25) - Complete the level "Truth and Reconciliation" with at least four rounds left in your Sniper Rifle.

I'll Be Taking That! (25) - Pilot a Banshee on the level "Assault on the Control Room."

This One's for Jenkins! (10) - Kill (50) Flood Combat Forms on the level "343 Guilty Spark" on Heroic difficulty or higher.

That Just Happened (10) - Complete the level "The Library" on Heroic difficulty or higher without dying.

Speed Reader (25) - Complete the level "The Library" on Legendary difficulty in 30 minutes or less.

Look Out for the Little Guys (10) - Complete the level "Two Betrayals" on Heroic difficulty or higher without killing any Grunts.

Leave It Where It Lay (25) - Complete the level "Two Betrayals" on Legendary difficulty without picking up a new weapon.

Popcorn.gif (25) - Kill 100 Flood Infection Forms on the level "Keyes" on Heroic difficulty or above.

All According to Plan... (10) - Kill all the enemies in the first encounter of "Truth and Reconciliation" without being detected.

Beachhead (10) - Storm the beach of "The Silent Cartographer" with no marine casualties on Heroic or Legendary.

Grenadier (25) - Escape the map room in "The Silent Cartographer" without firing a shot on Heroic or Legendary.

Wraith Hunter (10) - Destroy four Wraith tanks in "Assault on the Control Room" with the Scorpion tank, in a single play.

Breaking Quarantine (25) - Escape the Forerunner facility on the level "343 Guilty Spark" in 21 minutes or less.

Tying Up Loose Ends (10) - Kill every Elite on the level "Keyes" on Heroic difficulty or above.

This Side Up (10) - Complete the Warthog ride on the level "The Maw" without being forcibly ejected from your vehicle.

Never Tell Me the Odds (25) - Escape "The Maw" on Legendary with at least a minute left on the count down.

Not sure why you spoiled them...
10 year old game that everyone should've played and it's not like it spoils story events really.

Anyway, campaign achievements in Halo games are always pains in the butt glad 343 decided to upload the legacy.

KPunk

hey this may be a silly question, as i haven't been following this game much. from my understanding, wasn't the multiplayer originally going to be Halo reach?

wwm0nkey said:
I laughed my ass off when Shishka (I think) said something like, "People have been screaming for a version of this game with online capability since we launched Halo 2." Then Frankie pops in with this gem: "We have gotten so many requests from people over the years to add online capability so they can play campaign co-op with their friends."

Oh yeah. Co-op is EXACTLY why people wanted Halo 1 online. Everyone totally used XBConnect back in the day so they could play campaign! Everyone had LAN parties every weekend with their Xboxes so they could play campaign!

I turned this shit off as soon as Frankie said that. Don't insult my intelligence, boy.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Oh yeah. Co-op is EXACTLY why people wanted Halo 1 online. Everyone totally used XBConnect back in the day so they could play campaign! Everyone had LAN parties every weekend with their Xboxes so they could play campaign!
For everybody I know he was exactly right.

Keep your pistol based multiplayer - I've only ever been a fan of Halo for campaign and co-op.

thatbox

Banned
NullPointer said:
For everybody I know he was exactly right.

Keep your pistol based multiplayer - I've only ever been a fan of Halo for campaign and co-op.
Then why do you care what multiplayer they include in this cash grab?

KageMaru

Havok said:
CE always had a centered reticule, it was lowered in subsequent games so that projectiles spawned out of the gun, not the center of the player model's head.

I always though this was done to emulate wearing a helmet. You'll notice the reticule recenters itself when you're in 3rd person view.

Unity2012

Halo CE Anniversary looks amazing. I wish all remakes will have this much improvements.

I am looking forward to play the final product. Nostalgia with a new coat of graphical and technical details. Great job.

mocoworm

Unity2012 said:
Halo CE Anniversary looks amazing. I wish all remakes will have this much improvements. I am looking forward to play the final product. Nostalgia with a new coat of graphical and technical details. Great job.

^^ this

Can't wait to play this again. The cheevs will eek out the playtime massively.

Top Bottom