• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

Izayoi said:
And in doing so willingly refused to make current the best multiplayer in the entire series. Huge slap in the face to all of the original fans.

Well, going by how they've handled the franchise so far I find it really, really difficult to have any sort of faith in them whatsoever.

I especially liked the part where they spent a large segment in the podcast apologising for the 'travesty' that was the Halo 1 pistol. I honestly wouldnt be into Halo at all if all I had at my disposal was crude Ar's. Whoever editing the files and made the Pistol twice as powerful should be praised, not bitched about.

Think about it this way, in Halo 1 if it wasnt for him the only precision weapon you could consistently get hold of in the game would be a 6 shot kill. lol.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm an original fan. I've felt no slap in my face. Do you play Reach?

Reach was the slap in the face for me. :(

ZZMitch said:
Nostalgia and/or Hyperbole.

Reach's multiplayer is superior to Halo CE's in almost every way, except for maybe maps. But guess what? We are getting those.

I have played more PC multiplayer Halo CE in the last month than ive played Reach. All the arguments about Rose tinted glasses are bullshit. Halo CE is and always was a pretty damn good game.

bobs99 ... said:
I especially liked the part where they spent a large segment in the podcast apologising for the travesty that was the Halo 1 pistol. I honestly wouldnt be into Halo at all if all I had at my disposal was crude Ar's. Whoever editing the files and made the Pistol twice as powerful should be praised, not bitched about.
I didn't take that from the podcast at all. I never heard anything resembling an apology for increasing the damage of the mm pistol, just an explanation as to how/when it was done. I fear you may have been looking for something that wasn't there.

squidhands said:
I didn't take that from the podcast at all. I never heard anything resembling an apology for increasing the damage of the mm pistol, just an explanation as to how/when it was done. I fear you may have been looking for something that wasn't there.

Maybe, I was working on something at the same time that I listened to the podcast, so maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like Jamie was legitimately annoyed that the Pistol damage was doubled before the game shipped. I hope your right and that he was simply spitting out facts though.

Regardless, Halo CE was intended to ship with a 6 shot kill weapon. Wow. :/ I know circumstances have changed a lot but its clear that they didnt know at all that anyone would care about precision weapon gameplay, and instead of embracing that side of things they have gone out of there way to try and bring the automatic weapons back into the spotlight.

I mean come on, Reach's DMR has bloom and is also a 5 shot kill thats like overkill when it comes to nerfing something lol.

Spasm

bobs99 ... said:
I have played more PC multiplayer Halo CE in the last month than ive played Reach. All the arguments about Rose tinted glasses are bullshit. Halo CE is and always was a pretty damn good game.
The only reason I stopped playing was it was getting damn near impossible to find a server that wasn't running ridiculous mods or purely heavy weapons. I would still be playing if vanilla slayer/ctf servers were more popular.

Woorloog

Banned
Spasm said:
The only reason I stopped playing was it was getting damn near impossible to find a server that wasn't running ridiculous mods or purely heavy weapons. I would still be playing if vanilla slayer/ctf servers were more popular.
This. But make it "might play occasionally".
Even back when the servers where active i didn't play Halo PC MP as much as i play, say, Battlefield42. The balance is fucked up... Fuel Rod Gun as cool as it is there (Halo2 and forward it was made very boring and ugly) is so ridiculous... Mouse aiming and the pistol make it (when there's little latency) far better than it's on Xbox version, etc etc.

Oh and fuck the latest patch for breaking third person (FP all the way though) enabler, cannot adjust the FOV anymore without it

Spasm said:

I normally play with just a couple of friends on a server they set up. I love it when I can find like a good capture the flag game on Blood Gulch or Death Island though, Death Island is such a good map. :p

Iknos

KageMaru said:
They could have easily ported the code over, used the same assets, and ran the game at full 720p. However they decided to take the harder route, doing more than any other remake I've seen, and you're still bitching? Besides you probably wouldn't know it was slightly sub-HD if it wasn't for the pixel counters, which showcases how irrelevant that number can be at times.

No we can all tell. Halo 2 with backwards compatibility looks sharper than Reach.

He's the not the only one who wishes that a next gen Halo runs at 720p with AA.

Reach's MP is the best gameplay wise I'll give it that so I can understand why they ported it to that engine. But graphically it is jaggy like a sawtooth blade.

border

I get their point that it wouldn't be fun playing online and getting 3-shot-killed by the pistol....but I kinda thought that was the point of their whole online ranking system. It wouldn't take long before you weren't getting pitted against players that were capable of just dominating with the pistol.

KageMaru

Iknos said:
No we can all tell. Halo 2 with backwards compatibility looks sharper than Reach.

He's the not the only one who wishes that a next gen Halo runs at 720p with AA.

Reach's MP is the best gameplay wise I'll give it that so I can understand why they ported it to that engine. But graphically it is jaggy like a sawtooth blade.

I thought he was talking about Halo CEA's campaign for some reason.

Also, maybe you should calibrate your TV.

Iknos said:

Apparently, you can't, because Halo 2 with BC runs at 480p widescreen and 4X AA. Hardly sharper than Reach, which is almost 720p.

Suerlink

Neo Member
I watched some videos on Halo Waypoint (yes, i know its a pointless service) and noticed a few things with the Halo:CE Anniversary Vids. The Master Chief model? The Assault Rifle model must have undergone a Geometrically challenged class or something

halo_092503_015_640w.jpg

This is the original Assault rifle...
AND

(just find a new vid on youtube for the "classic version" in the Upcoming Anniversary Edition)
The look? Yeah I saw that too. That gun wasn't originally THAT FAT!

Now the MC Model? We all know it looks disgusting compared to the Xbox original model.

now, WHY THE HELL CANT I PLAY CLASSIC HALO 1 Multiplayer ONLINE?!?!?!?

Finally, 343 just sucks when it comes to Halo, Little Effort and short time table to milk the Cash cow IMO.

Now,The original game did not look NEARLY as bad as the new Anniversary Edition.
They are bringing shame in the name of anyone hear: (alpha version)? of the game?

Anyone else feel this way?

They should have scrapped the whole, you can play with original fx or new ones amd just went for a sloght upgrade with fll mp online support. its all i ever wanted from tis thing and now ill have to wait for the next anniversary to get it.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
They should have scrapped the whole, you can play with original fx or new ones amd just went for a sloght upgrade with fll mp online support. its all i ever wanted from tis thing and now ill have to wait for the next anniversary to get it.
The PC version is still going strong.

Lingitiz

Suerlink said:
I watched some videos on Halo Waypoint (yes, i know its a pointless service) and noticed a few things with the Halo:CE Anniversary Vids. The Master Chief model? The Assault Rifle model must have undergone a Geometrically challenged class or something

AND

(just find a new vid on youtube for the "classic version" in the Upcoming Anniversary Edition)

Now the MC Model? We all know it looks disgusting compared to the Xbox original model.

Finally, 343 just sucks when it comes to Halo, Little Effort and short time table to milk the Cash cow IMO.

Now,The original game did not look NEARLY as bad as the new Anniversary Edition.
They are bringing shame in the name of anyone hear: (alpha version)? of the game?

You're alone. First off, Waypoint is not a pointless service, its evolving into what Bungie.net did for the previous Halos, and has alot of exclusive content for fans of the fiction. The AR looks fine. Yeah it is a bit fat but seriously, does it matter that much? The MC model looks fantastic in the videos from HaloFest. If you want to play the original version just hit the fucking back button and there you go.

They've already stated that splitting the community for Reach when it was just released last year is a horrible idea, and making netcode for the original Halo MP would fundamentally change the game far too much. The original Halo on console was never truly online, so the game would be so different from what we remembered it to be. They're remaking the maps and updating Reach to allow customization for as close to CE as possible. If they were lazy and just cared about the money, they would've left Reach as it was and said "Hey guys, wait for Halo 4!", but no, they went through all the trouble of taking on Reach's code because they care about the health of the franchise.

343 is not lazy, they didn't have to remake the game in the time they were given. The fans really wanted this project so they begged MS to greenlight it. Most re-releases wouldn't even have the same amount of effort this has. Not only did they include the new graphics, but they left every aspect of the gameplay and engine 100% the same.They did this for the fans and are not even charging full price for it. Granted, if Halo 4 is a complete disaster go ahead and say 343 is horrible, but don't go on preaching your hate when they have yet to release a single game. They're implementing a ton of changes in Reach that fans have been begging for, and showing a huge commitment to this franchise.

Loxley

Suerlink said:

Not really...

What?

They've said multiple times they don't want to fragment the playerbase more than it already is between Reach and those still playing Halo 3 (which they definitely would if they'd bothered to carry over the entire vanilla CE mutliplayer but with a new coat of paint).

I really hope I'm an idiot and your whole post is one elaborate troll, because 343 showed over and over again during HaloFest how much they actually do give a shit about the IP. Halo Anniversary looks to be the most in-depth HD remake we've gotten so far this gen.

Okay, yeah. You have to be trolling.

Zeal

Banned
I don't know why anyone would want to be a game developer nowadays. I have never heard people bitch like fucking babies as much as videoame fans. The remake is actually a true, remade assets remake, and people are still bitching about things like resolution and a fucking pistol.

If I was 343i, I'd ban every cry baby from Live play and say kiss my ass. And this Surelink guy sounds like he's on LSD or something.

Recarpo

Loxley said:
I really hope I'm an idiot and your whole post is one elaborate troll, because 343 showed over and over again during HaloFest how much they actually do give a shit about the IP. Halo Anniversary looks to be the most in-depth HD remake we've gotten so far this gen.

It has to be...right?

I can't believe people are still complaining about the lack of original multi :/

It's been stated many times by Frankie that it was basically impossible to do it.

EDIT: I just realized that this guy must be trolling. Oh well. My point still stands.

Lingitiz

BladeoftheImmortal said:
It isn't impossible it would just cost more money. if sf3 could do it, I'm sure halo could to, hell i already had system link.
Regardless of it could be done, the very fact that it would split the Reach community so soon since release is enough reason to not do it. Especially since 343 is a new dev, it would send such a bad message to the community.

Booshka may feel similarly about Halo MP, but most of us quickly moved on when the reasons why were explained.

As for the Chief/AR model, while they might not be perfect, are fine.

Gui_PT

Suerlink said:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/halo_092503_015_640w.jpg

AND

HI!

Is today opposite day or "horribly wrong statement" day?

Can I have a go?
The AR looks horrible!
MC and the graphics look like crap!

OMG 343 is a bunch of losers and they've put no effort at all in making this game! They certainly didn't work with all the love and nostalgia possible!

This is fun!

Hey You

343i trying to milk the franchise? LOL, I'm sure they had to fight tooth and nail to get the greenlight. I doubt they are going to make very much profit from this game.

feel

Suerlink said:

halo_092503_015_640w.jpg

AND

2cxhhfs.jpg

I prefer everything on the original version, but I'm a fanboy of Halo CE so any minimal change is absolute sacrilege to me. That being said, I'm quite pleased by how things are turning out on the re-imagined visual layer. Should be really fun besides playing the HD/16:9 smooth framerate version of the original (like every other remake provides) to also be able to play through an alternate looking version of my favorite game ever, with rerecorded sound and current gen visuals. No Halo1MP is a shame, but there's a million of understandable reasons for that. No comment on what you had to say of 343i's efforts with Halo so far, plain wrong and uninformed.

Sill4

It's probably been asked a million times, but I and a friend of mine are confused....can you play Reach multiplayer with the Anniversary disk, ala ODST/Halo 3?

Or do you need to have Reach in? And how will the new firefight map work, since firefight runs on the campaign engine?

Confused I be :(

Heretic

Suerlink said:

halo_092503_015_640w.jpg

AND

Nope

Lingitiz

Sill4 said:
It's probably been asked a million times, but I and a friend of mine are confused....can you play Reach multiplayer with the Anniversary disk, ala ODST/Halo 3?

Or do you need to have Reach in? And how will the new firefight map work, since firefight runs on the campaign engine?

Confused I be :(
Reach for the old maps, and CE for the new remade maps. If you have Reach and don't want to buy CE they will eventually sell the new maps on XBLM.

Hey You

Lingitiz said:
Reach for the old maps, and CE for the new remade maps. If you have Reach and don't want to buy CE they will eventually sell the new maps on XBLM.
Yep, to clarify a bit:

If you purchase just CEA, you'll only have access to the Anniversary (matchmaking) Playlists (and customs/forge etc only on the new maps). If you have Reach and Purchase CEA, you can install the New maps to your HDD so you can use the reach disk with the new maps.

You do not need Reach to play the new Firefight map, same case as above. I don't believe Firefight runs on the campaign "model".

Hope that helps.

JdFoX187

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Oh Christ. Headlong? They remade Headlong from Halo 2?

Excuse me while I go vomit. That map was fucking terrible and way too big.
C'mon man, Headlong was the best map in the entire Halo series. Glad to see it's finally coming back.

Gui_PT

AnEternalEnigma said:
Oh Christ. Headlong? They remade Headlong from Halo 2?

Excuse me while I go vomit. That map was fucking terrible and way too big.

That map was AWESOME.

Just the right size with the perfect amount of vehicles. Ideal for BTB.

CTF on Headlong, can't wait!

wwm0nkey

moop2000 said:
I'm so psyched. Headlong is my favorite map of all time. So many great one flag matches have been played on this one. woohoooo!
Head long made all one sided objectives shine.

Due to the Halo 2 contesting system matches could potentially last up to an hour lol

wwm0nkey said:
Head long made all one sided objectives shine.

Due to the Halo 2 contesting system matches could potentially last up to an hour lol

i miss those days....

oh, the things I would do to have Halo 2 multiplayer back..

Top Bottom