• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Half-assed remake. Wish they wouldn't have bothered to be honest.

Oh well. Keep milking that Halo cow MS.

Booshka

Halo 1 Maps for Reach DLC? I'm not interested, I just wanted pure Halo CE MP on Xbox Live, not the H1 campaign in the Reach engine, or a map pack for Reach.

Smart move to not segment the audience, but I won't be buying it.

No MP? What? This is what I got excited about the most as it was one of my favorite MP experiences in the Halo series, very down to earth and simple good times. Meh.

Nemesis121 said:
I wonder if they dumb down the pistol? so nubs don't complain they are getting raped to quickly..
there isn't CE multiplayer. It's the Reach pistol in Reach multiplayer with CE maps.

Seiru

Banned
The fact that this doesn't include true Halo CE multiplayer (weapons, balance, etc) and the hefty price tag both make this a sad no-purchase for me.

Disappointing, I was looking forward to playing Halo 1 multiplayer online, finally. XBConnect was pretty awesome back in the day, despite the lag.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dammit all
All I wanted was Halo CE on XBLA or something.
It's one of the few multiplayer games I enjoy, pistol-broken and all.
If they "fix" this pistol, this may almost be a not-buy for me. I enjoy the first Halo, and I know it is not going to match the greatness that the first Halo had, but if they screw with the pistol damage, accuracy, firing speed or reload times; that could be a deal breaker for me!

kodt

Banned
No one cares about a remake of the single player.

Everyone wants the Halo 1 pistol in multiplayer, that is it, and they managed to screw it up.

Halo 1 maps in Reach is not Halo 1 mp. I just want snipers/pistols hang em high online, guess this wont' be happening.

Cham4EK

Neo Member
We have been BEGGING for CE multiplayer on Xbox Live ever since Halo 2 came out, then they tease us with this garbage? You've got to be kidding me.

I'm fully aware of the marketing behind it, they do not want segmented populations to go into H4, they want everyone to transition from Reach into it... but I really don't give a damn, Reach is a horrible game, and they could have done something amazing with this, but they didn't.

Fail.com

Zomba13

Epyon MX said:
Can't wait, but man the chief looks wonky.

5805396050_bd09267444_o.png

I want the campaign with all the Reach goodies of skulls, screenshots, video, co-op . There was no way the multiplayer would work anyway.
Was I the only one who thought that Chief looked worse in the remake?

Anyway, do want. Not a huge Halo fan but do enjoy the games very much. Sad about no Multi. I take it they wont do like they did with ODST and include the last games multi on a separate disk? Like have a Reach multiplayer disk all up to date with the Halo 1 maps.

GloveSlap

GhaleonEB said:
This is so wrong it's hard to even know where to start.

I'm not saying nobody likes or wants to play the Halo 1 campaign. What I am saying is that people have been asking for a Halo 1 Remake since Xbox Live came out, and it sure as hell wasn't so they could play the campaign again 2 or 3 years after Halo 1 originally came out. That demand has continued to this day since we still have never got Halo 1 online.

GloveSlap said:
I'm not saying nobody likes or wants to play the Halo 1 campaign. What I am saying is that people have been asking for a Halo 1 Remake since Xbox Live came out, and it sure as hell wasn't so they could play the campaign again 2 or 3 years after Halo 1 originally came out. That demand has continued to this day since we still have never got Halo 1 online.
Everybody I know was asking for a remake for the campaign, with solid framerate, HD resolution and online co-op. Speak for yourself.

The chief does look fuckin weird though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Watching the video againt, looks like Beaver Creek is part of the pack. Kind of a cop-out, the Forge version is completely fine.

OnPoint

I wanted it for the classic multiplayer on LIVE, the single player was just a nice bonus I was looking forward to.

Thanks for saving me $40 Microsoft.

Kibbles

Zomba13 said:
Was I the only one who thought that Chief looked worse in the remake?

Anyway, do want. Not a huge Halo fan but do enjoy the games very much. Sad about no Multi. I take it they wont do like they did with ODST and include the last games multi on a separate disk? Like have a Reach multiplayer disk all up to date with the Halo 1 maps.
When they did the switch from 2001 CE to 2011 CE I was taken back when Chief actually looked worse.
KuGsj.gif
Rest of the stuff looked awesome.

MNC said:
Why can't they just use Halo 3's Mark V model? That one was perfect.
Yeah I would've much rather seen that. He looks weird and cartoony here.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
WJD said:
You're incredibly boring.

If they're going to do a Halo 1 update they might as well do it right and go all the way. Otherwise, why bother? It's an obvious quick cash grab and allows them to capitalize on the Halo brand on a yearly cycle by pumping out trash like this.

Just wait until Halo 2 "remastered" is announced.

Fuck this garbage. This is an insult to all true Halo CE fans.

Is it confirmed that this is being run on the Reach engine?

If so, I wonder how "dialed in" the game will be. Halo 1 had very distinct run speed, jump height, FOV.

Most of all, the Reach hog is a *lot* different than the Halo 1 hog.

Needless, to say, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

edit: The port is being helped along by Certain Affinity, where a lot of the Bungie talent went after Halo 2.

Khezu

This is awful.
At least they kinda wised up and only charging 40 for it, unlike the nonsense that was ODST.

No multiplayer is ridiculous, then again if I wanted to play CE online I would just play the PC version, last time I played it a year or so ago it still had a surprisingly high amount of people still playing.

Striker

Khezu said:
This is awful.
At least they kinda wised up and only charging 40 for it, unlike the nonsense that was ODST.

No multiplayer is ridiculous, then again if I wanted to play CE online I would just play the PC version, last time I played it a year or so ago it still had a surprisingly high amount of people still playing.
Why would they push for MP when you'll have MP in Halo 4 in 2012, and there's already Reach still going strong getting near 700,000 users each weekend. I'm hopeful they don't turn it into CoD yearly events, but according to some people here that's what they want (MP games of Halo everywhere in sight).

I fully expected Halo HD and then coupled with Reach DLC. That's what we got. People had too high of expectations.

Epyon MX said:
Is it confirmed that this is being run on the Reach engine?

If so, I wonder how "dialed in" the game will be. Halo 1 had very distinct run speed, jump height, FOV.

Most of all, the Reach hog is a *lot* different than the Halo 1 hog.

Needless, to say, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

edit: The port is being helped along by Certain Affinity, where a lot of the Bungie talent went after Halo 2.

Everything about the footage showed says this is Halo CE with a new coat of paint, looks like it should feel exactly like CE. 60 rounds in the assault rifle, looks like a carbon copy of the campaign gameplay. Honestly I hope that isn't true, but that's sure what it looks like.

$40 is actually a shocking price to pay.

At least with ODST it had an original campaign and all-new Firefight.

This is a reskinned ten year-old game with multiplayer I already paid for, albeit with a few new maps.

For $40.

Please tell me you can buy the maps separately.

thezerofire said:
fuck this game. that's all they had to do: put Halo CE's multiplayer online. that's it. and they fucked it up.
Unfortunately, this summarizes my feelings quite succinctly.

The art looks considerably worse than the bright simplicity of the original, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the one selling point (online co-op) won't work with "Classic Mode" enabled to fix the art issues.

Striker said:
Why would they push for MP when you'll have MP in Halo 4 in 2012, and there's already Reach still going strong getting near 700,000 users each weekend. I'm hopeful they don't turn it into CoD yearly events, but according to some people here that's what they want (MP games of Halo everywhere in sight).

I fully expected Halo HD and then coupled with Reach DLC. That's what we got. People had too high of expectations.
People had just right expectations, they just screwed it up. Perfect Dark's remake had online multiplayer for heaven's sake.

Sanic

I know it's the ten year anniversary, but they're remaking the game on hardware that' just four years newer than what the game was originally built on. I would have preferred a 15h anv. release.

It's a case of a damned if you do, damned if you don't, for the campaign and MP.

If they redesign the campaign, correcting what they consider flaws in the level design, an angry mob will descend on them because they skinned that holy cow. If they don't, other people will complain about repetitive levels and how they haven't aged well.

The MP is pretty much the same, either you're true to that unique, at times broken, feel no other Halo game has managed to recreate and you split your base down the middle or you just add maps to the Reach playlists and betray that game you're trying to celebrate.

At this point, in both cases, the best solution would be to go both ways.
Offer (in that new engine):
- to choose between a vanilla campaign and a "remastered" campaign
- to add the CE maps to existing Reach playlists and at the same time create new playlists dedicated to CE that accurately replicate the weapons and balance of CE

I'm pretty sure this won't happen but this would have been nice.

Anth0ny

PounchEnvy said:
It's funny since you have an OoT 3D avatar.

=P

OOT 3DS looks like a much bigger jump graphically than Halo CE Anniversary to me. Now, this news about the multiplayer... ouch.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I hope they fix the Mark V's visor.

Anth0ny said:
=P

OOT 3DS looks like a much bigger jump graphically than Halo CE Anniversary to me. Now, this news about the multiplayer... ouch.
2816736-gallery.png
2816735-gallery.png

Top Bottom