• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

Finally gave it a go. First Halo game I've played. Feels a bit slow for me. I'm coming from mainly playing apex legends though. I will give it some more time to see if it clicks for me.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I still don't understand how they are able to run the game at a stable 120fps on xsx where my 6800xt struggles all over the place. I know the x runs it with DRS in the 1080p-1440p range, but is that all there is to it?

From my understanding it's not optimized yet for PC. Final drivers have not been put out for graphics cards with halo instruction profiles.

The bigger thing thats needs addressing is Mouse/Keyboard aiming vs Controller. I dont want to use a controller period for this game on PC. Yet there's an automatic advantage with the aim assist being very generous and making it so you can trail enemies better. I tried hooking in a controller and aiming the gun felt good, movement felt shitty using left stick. Even with things dialed up.

Guess Ill deal with the shit accuracy issues the game has for PC.

Last edited:
From my understanding it's not optimized yet for PC. Final drivers have not been put out for graphics cards with halo instruction profiles.

The bigger thing thats needs addressing is Mouse/Keyboard aiming vs Controller. I dont want to use a controller period for this game on PC. Yet there's an automatic advantage with the aim assist being very generous and making it so you can trail enemies better. I tried hooking in a controller and aiming the gun felt good, movement felt shitty using left stick. Even with things dialed up.

Mouse aiming felt fine for me.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Holy fucking shit... This plays sooooo much better then flight beta... That garden and city map are awesome. Aiming feel incredible.. Such a surprise...
metal gear solid GIF

Papacheeks

Banned
Don't know but there is option in Ranked Play to select Ranked Queue to Solo/Duo with Input option as KBM/Controller. It has its own Rank progress so maybe there isn't crossplay there.

mouse keyboard feels way off. All my pc buddies got literally pissed off and hooked up controllers and had a better go.

Needs addressing asap if they want longevity. After playing ping, war zone, apex to prove I wasn’t crazy. Went to Reddit and tons of people are saying same thing.

i'm getting destroyed now all the time. it feels like i'm doing no damage to anyone anymore. it feels like i'm shooting forever at someone but haven't got a kill in a while. i'm not a great player but i am playing at 144hz with no fancy settings and i have quite good response/reaction. doesn't feel right.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
i'm getting destroyed now all the time. it feels like i'm doing no damage to anyone anymore. it feels like i'm shooting forever at someone but haven't got a kill in a while. i'm not a great player but i am playing at 144hz with no fancy settings and i have quite good response/reaction. doesn't feel right.
Using controller or m/k?

Shubh_C63

mouse keyboard feels way off. All my pc buddies got literally pissed off and hooked up controllers and had a better go.

Needs addressing asap if they want longevity. After playing ping, war zone, apex to prove I wasn’t crazy. Went to Reddit and tons of people are saying same thing.
Fortunately my average pc is handling this pretty well, 60fps locked and shooting feels great on mkb.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Exactly what's going on for me too. I get stomped 29/30 games. Literally. I won once.

The matchmaking is terrible in quick play / big team. Not even close. I often end up the only positive KD person on my team, with nearly everyone on the other team going like 22/4

Papacheeks

Banned
Exactly what's going on for me too. I get stomped 29/30 games. Literally. I won once.

The matchmaking is terrible in quick play / big team. Not even close. I often end up the only positive KD person on my team, with nearly everyone on the other team going like 22/4

more than likely most people are playing with premaid teams.

solo play in halo sucks, you need a team to really watch your back. Issue is once pe have power weapons you need to have people you can tell what person has what weapon.
I played solo and got destroyed, played with friends we won most of our games and all had good k/d.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member

solo play in halo sucks, you need a team to really watch your back. Issue is once pe have power weapons you need to have people you can tell what person has what weapon.
I played solo and got destroyed, played with friends we won most of our games and all had good k/d.
You're probably right, it's just frustrating though, because I can't always call my buddies to get on with me.

Wvrs

This is the first time I've played a Halo at launch and everything has felt just right since Halo 3. Reach, 4 and 5 were all games I warmed up to but playing this I feel like I've been transported back to 2007.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Yup. Control of power weapons, strategic holding of map sectors and communicate at naseum. And enemy callouts/what their intentions seems to be. Also helps if every teammate has one (preferably) or two roles although shit is inherently dynamic.

Is like to play like this but less try hard; more casual and fun/laid back

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've been thinking about this for years and I don't know if there's a solution for this.

Halo 5 introduced harsh penalties - it didn't take many quits before you were banned. But it didn't stop people from leaving.

It's an industry wide problem and no one has quite figured out how to do it yet.

Maybe do it Rainbow Six Siege style, where you need to grind for a good few days to even qualify for Ranked? Since this game is free to play now, banning people has no value - they'll just go create a new account. When R6 raised the level cap to 50 it kind of helped a bit. The idea of having to grind for roughly 3-5 days on a new account to be able to play again was too much for people to handle so they generally towed the line.

The Mobas do a really good job at handling quitters. Matches are significantly longer than Halo matches and it's pretty rare you see people quit.

I've also often thought quitters need to be brandished with a proverbial letter A on their chest (for a time) so that when a member of the opposing team quits/ has connection issues, the person with a quitting history on your team gets placed in a "penalty box" of sorts so that team remain even. That way, if a connection gets reestablished on the other team, the penalized member on your own team jumps back in as well.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’m enjoying this a lot, super fun and easy to just jump in to. I kinda suck at it, but still fun.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Definitely liking that I'm switching between playing on Steam and XSS with no issues with character progression.

Really fun to just hop in and play a few rounds. BTB is amazing and really liking holding the control points game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
God stockpile sucks shit. Nobody plays the objective because the objective is incredibly boring.

Probably played 10 hours the last two days it has me hooked.
Cannot stand CTF I really hope they add new modes or a filter option soon.
I haven't played Halo since Reach, so it's taken a little bit to get the hang of things. I'm glad the put in a fantastic bot match option to play around with all the weapons. Anyway, CTF is my least favorite big team battle mode. I don't play ranked cause I don't have time nor the care to bother. With that said, from the many games I've played so far, I've only come across a few people with mics. CTF, more than any other big team battle mode, requires people with mics to make it work. I'd imagine ranked is much better with that.

MastAndo

I checked my stats on Halotracker, and I'm in the bottom 30% in like everything, LOL. I didn't think a KD a bit above 1 would put me that low. I only play in 4v4 quick play, and I'm usually at worst second on my team by the end of it (minus my first 2 sessions, i.e. my first time playing any Halo multiplayer). I'm also a whopping 11-17 after getting wrecked last night. I'm not one to point fingers since I'm not very good, but had a few games in a row where people were just completely ignoring the objective.

jigglet

Banned
but had a few games in a row where people were just completely ignoring the objective.

Slayer really needs to be its own mode. Slayer on one end, everything else on the other. Some people just want to frag, which is fine, but it’s a completely different play style and it gets in the way of obj modes.

jigglet

Banned
The menu and fireteam systems need a bit of work. So hard to tell who’s where and what’s what. Also a career page would be nice where you can see how many times you’ve got each medal etc.

I find it annoying you have to navigate back a few clicks to re-queue into the next game. In the beta a few months ago you could hold down a button to keep searching. They got rid of that :(

I find it annoying you have to navigate back a few clicks to re-queue into the next game. In the beta a few months ago you could hold down a button to keep searching. They got rid of that :(
I think you can still matchmake after a game ends by pressing "X" though there's no prompt for it for whatever reason, as I seem to remember it being there upon launch.

MrFunSocks

Banned
. I'm not one to point fingers since I'm not very good, but had a few games in a row where people were just completely ignoring the objective.
Nature of the beast unfortunately. Most people seem to only care about getting kills and bumping up their k:d, and not playing the objective is an easy way to do that. In games like CTF and oddball I usually get the most deaths in my team, but I also hold the ball the longest and get all the captures while the other idiots just camp near the other teams flag without grabbing it just to get easy kills.

I find it annoying you have to navigate back a few clicks to re-queue into the next game. In the beta a few months ago you could hold down a button to keep searching. They got rid of that
You can press X after you finish a match to re-queue :) (it shows the message saying to do that down in the bottom left of the screen, though sometimes it’s inexplicably not there lol).

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I think you can still matchmake after a game ends by pressing "X" though there's no prompt for it for whatever reason, as I seem to remember it being there upon launch.

Yeah on PC it's the R key. I found it so odd it was in beta but disappeared on release. Must be a bug.

Does anyone have any advice on good quality headsets? I've been searching all over YouTube looking at every review possible. I guess I could just plug in my Phillips SHP-9500 with a boom pro mic but I'd just rather have wireless at this point. I know some of the headsets out there do support Xbox wireless protocol so that's a must.

Anyone here own any gaming headsets?

jigglet

Banned
That way, if a connection gets reestablished on the other team, the penalized member on your own team jumps back in as well.

R6 Siege gives you an opportunity to rejoin the ranked game before it ends, and gives you a warning if you're in the menu and you don't join it. It tells you if you don't continue the game you will get a ban. I wonder if MS could do the same here.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Ok so it works and it's just a visual glitch? Good to know.
Yep always seems to work even when it doesnt show, which is often haha. Not sure how these menus made it through QA tbh. Sometimes my list of challenges overflows out of the box showing your current ones when you press Y to see the battle pass. Sometimes my friends characters don’t show when they’re in my firearm but their logos do. Even something that should be simple like canceling a matchmaking search is hard to see how to do it, or leaving a fireteam.

Oh well, at least I’m eternally grateful that they didn’t use a god awful floating cursor menu like destiny/aliens fireteam/etc.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Maybe 343 are just trying (and failing) to lessen our inherent addiction. Whatever it is causing it, I hope they add it back.
It does show the shortcut hint sometimes, in the bottom left on the results screen, so they didn’t remove it, must just be a bug making it not show most of the time.

Anyone know if 343 have said anything about adding infinite in to MCC at some stage? I want mcc to get halo 5 too, and to basically be a halo launcher and all in one multiplayer service. Would be amazing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Does anyone have any advice on good quality headsets? I've been searching all over YouTube looking at every review possible. I guess I could just plug in my Phillips SHP-9500 with a boom pro mic but I'd just rather have wireless at this point. I know some of the headsets out there do support Xbox wireless protocol so that's a must.

Love those Phillips such a great pair of open backs which can't be beat for the price.

As far as wireless go I am pretty impressed with the Xbox official wireless set well worth looking into for the price.

MrFunSocks

Banned

The official Xbox wireless headset is fantastic, you wouldn’t be disappointed. Having the chat/game sound mixer on one ear cup dial and the volume on the other works so damn well. More headsets need to do these style controls.

SCB3

Level 14 on the BP with 4 Weeklies left to finish, thats not too bad in a week honestly, though I did skip any vehicle ones

On the other hand, I've put a few less hours into CoD Vanguard and progressed further on multiple progressions, I really like the Weapon levelling in that game

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
On the other hand, I've put a few less hours into CoD Vanguard and progressed further on multiple progressions, I really like the Weapon levelling in that game

One thing to bear in mind is COD games are designed to be "completed" in 12 months, although realistically most people have hit the max cap for both the main account as well as weapons by around the 4-6 month mark.

Halo Infinite is a game designed to last a decade. If people grind it out within 4-6 months what will they be left with?

I've been playing Rainbow Six Siege for 6 years and I can still play it 12 hours a day without getting bored. I think Halo has more to learn from R6 than COD as far as progression goes.

It won't even load a map on my son's PC. I was playing Destiny fine on it last year at 1080p 60fps, ran great. Halo Infinite won't load a map at lowest settings, just boots me out to windows.

Top Bottom