• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I havent been following this thread fully but can those who finished the game and are familiar with the Halo lore answer the question below?

SPOILERS
Is the Harbinger/Xalanyn the same race as "The Endless"?

RPS37

Have they fixed the quick resume issue yet?
Also, this game is good. I’ve only done the first mission in the open world and now I just keep doing every side quest/spartan core between there and the second mission.

Topher

Gold Member
Have they fixed the quick resume issue yet?
Also, this game is good. I’ve only done the first mission in the open world and now I just keep doing every side quest/spartan core between there and the second mission.

What is the issue again?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What is the issue again?
I think it was specific to the customization Armories you can find. They would not carry over to MP if you were quick resuming the SP campaign.

The last patch mentioned they have fixed in the patch notes if I'm not mistaken.

avin

The first half of the campaign rocked. Maybe the most fun I've had in ages. But then it's a grind.

The later indoor sections feel endless, to the point of absurdity. I'm not feeling the love here.

avin

Vagswarm

Just beat the game. Thought it was well done and had a great time. The only real issue I had was the lack of challenge in the Nexus and Spire towards the end. It was mostly Sentinels and they weren't that difficult. After that it was fine.

Havoc2049

She's a 25 year MS veteran who worked through the shit times of the gaming division when they were producing forgettable crap in the mid-90s. This isn't a Jade Raymond situation where she got propped up for her looks by UbiSoft while stealing credit for Assassin's Creed.
I'm a Halo fan and know all about her past and her time at Microsoft. I like Bonnie Ross' story and I want to like her and I want her to do well. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve to become the head of 343. I'm just saying that there has been some MAJOR public fuck ups at 343 across multiple projects over many years while she has been in charge. There has been numerous times when it would have been easily justifiable to bring in new leadership at 343.

BTW, Microsoft had some great games in the late 90's and early 2000's before the XB launch. Games like Age of Empires , Microsoft Flight Simulator, MechWarrior 4, the Madness arcade racers, Links Golf, Close Combat series, Crimson Skies and Starlancer were major reasons why I was geeked for the launch of the OG Xbox.

Went back to the open world bits, as I did about 60% of them, after finishing the campaign and exploring as I went. You certainly have some things to discover. I haven't looked up anything and I've just been discovering things on my own.

Finding the catch skull out on that weird to reach top left section of the map and organically finding stray enemies which lead to elites which lead to a pair of red hunters protecting a pedestal holding the catch skull. Awesome feeling to have in Halo again.

I'm a Halo fan and know all about her past and her time at Microsoft. I like Bonnie Ross' story and I want to like her and I want her to do well. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve to become the head of 343. I'm just saying that there has been some MAJOR public fuck ups at 343 across multiple projects over many years while she has been in charge. There has been numerous times when it would have been easily justifiable to bring in new leadership at 343.

BTW, Microsoft had some great games in the late 90's and early 2000's before the XB launch. Games like Age of Empires , Microsoft Flight Simulator, MechWarrior 4, the Madness arcade racers, Links Golf, Close Combat series, Crimson Skies and Starlancer were major reasons why I was geeked for the launch of the OG Xbox.

I have to say there are a number of historic reasons still affecting 343's games today where I wish to or have wished to call for a change of decision makers. From broken MCC to Infinite region filters and esports having too much focus to story writing etc. I don't want to point it at any specific individual(s) as we know little about who makes such decisions. Some of the frustrating things still occurring in Infinite at release that any higher up with decision making ability should have stepped in and simply not released the way they were -
  • Why does the UI have this "lost" feeling to it, you start a search and browse only to see something and not be able to say equip an item you just received, you have to back out 3 menus, drill down 2 more and still equip from there. UI should be contextual, whatever you see should have an action directly attached to it.
  • The UI breaks, literally the loading icons in place of actual backgrounds or fireteams icon/avatars or the game list you're searching at that time. It happens every game session. It ain't my internet either, stable across other game and devices at such times those occur.
  • Region filters. FFS this doesn't even need explanation.
  • Why esports maps and modes have overrun social is beyond me. They do the same with MCC.
  • Coop/splitscreen delay. Come on. Again another launch with issues.
  • Story, banished again for a whole game. We had this in HW2. Infinite's ending should have been ACT II and way more for ACT III.
  • MTX and diversity of digital assets. Enough has been posted about this.
  • Fireteam to XBL friends isn't real time, or anywhere near close enough to it.
  • Large parties in BTB get the same MCC chat and sync issues, requiring game reboots to re-join. Another game like this for big parties?
  • Differences of region/party select for social vs ranked in Infinite. What a pain for Aussie where 343 has reduced regions from 2 down to 1 (MCC now forces us to select Australia + 1 international always).
  • Forcing crossplay of console/devices with PC always.
  • Cheating is pretty rife e.g. wallhacks, rapid fire.
  • Launched with button combos e.g. rapid melee etc. Honestly do they even play test their own games? These are found day 1 at launch, they shouldn't even be present in public releases.
  • Lack of creative variation. Top class gameplay with Infinite but very little in terms of new environments or diverse gameplay or enemies/tactics etc. CE and Halo 2 kill it in terms of variety and interesting mission to mission gameplay/environments/immersions.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just finished:

- overall solid 9/10
- to me the best halo game ever made
-straight up fun to play
- open world actually worked
- graphics turned out to be solid but not mesmerizing
- gameplay is fantastic
- ironically the only thing that prevented me from giving it 10/10 is the same issue that plagues the other 5 halo games, the reuse and monotony of the indoor levels. Can we throw something new at us here? Or at least introduce some new bad guys?
-if ever there was game was begging for an expansion pack its this one, add some new areas to explore on the map, some new bosses, etc, would be fun. But I think no plans? Edit: is see there is some rumors.......the endless......

Last edited:
Just finished:

- overall solid 9/10
- to me the best halo game ever made
-straight up fun to play
- open world actually worked
- graphics turned out to be solid but not mesmerizing
- gameplay is fantastic
- ironically the only thing that prevented me from giving it 10/10 is the same issue that plagues the other 5 halo games, the reuse and monotony of the indoor levels. Can we throw something new at us here? Or at least introduce some new bad guys?
-if ever there was game was begging for an expansion pack its this one, add some new areas to explore on the map, some new bosses, etc, would be fun. But I think no plans? Edit: is see there is some rumors.......the endless......
heavy rain/snow areas with real variation would be nice.

JLB

Banned
Haha this is exactly where my research is getting me. Seems 50/50 on people thinking they're the same and otherwise.

I guess I'll wait to see if 343 can do a better job with the story in the expansions.

Thanks team.

I believe they are the same

Nah, its super clear that they are not the same.

Harbinger refers to the Endless as They.
Harbinger mentions that she is kind of a messager of them.
The draw of the vaults were forerunners keep the different races are clearly different (comparing the one where the Harbinger resided, and the one for the Endless shown at the end.

In any case theres not a lot of info about the endless. My guess / theory is that they are indeed some precursor survivors that were incarcelated by the Forerunners, or some sort of mutated precursors. But impossible to know at this point.

Havoc2049

Almost done with a 100% run on Heroic. I have found all the collectables with one skull to go on the last level. Great game so far. I took down Escharum like a boss and finished him off with the Blademasters blood sword. 😎

maxresdefault.jpg

ebevan91

The first half of the campaign rocked. Maybe the most fun I've had in ages. But then it's a grind.

The later indoor sections feel endless, to the point of absurdity. I'm not feeling the love here.

avin

Yeah near the end I was kinda ready to be done because it all felt the same.

link1201

avin
Same, really wish they'd let you go back to the open world bit instead of locking you in there after a certain point.

Biggest gripe of the campaign. I'm back out in the open world again and it feels so good.

Batiman

Banned
How is this game on on xb1s? Is this dated console gonna ruin the experience for me? I intended on having an XSX by this games release and still can’t get one. Halo is my favourite IP and I refused to to even touch this game until I got an XSX. I caved and played MP because I’m not gonna just not play it. The first day of playing it was pretty rough going to 30fps but honestly I’m used to it by now and it doesn’t ruin the experience for me. I’m still loving it. I’m just not sure how much longer I can wait to play the campaign in its full glory on a newer console. So do you guys say? Fuck it and play on xb1s or wait it out longer……?

Topher

Gold Member
The bosses were a pain even on Heroic. Couldn't imagine dealing with them on Legendary...

Finally beat that guy (on normal difficulty for crying out loud) and immediately after he died one of those big glowing containers exploded killing me. Problem is the game immediately created a save point and suddenly I was looping back into the same moment right before the container exploded. I was stuck in a Ground Hog Day scenario. So pissed. Finally the game fixed itself and I was able to continue.

I was so close.....

Xbox-Series-X-Destruindo.jpg

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Finally beat that guy (on normal difficulty for crying out loud) and immediately after he died one of those big glowing containers exploded killing me. Problem is the game immediately created a save point and suddenly I was looping back into the same moment right before the container exploded. I was stuck in a Ground Hog Day scenario. So pissed. Finally the game fixed itself and I was able to continue.

I was so close.....

Xbox-Series-X-Destruindo.jpg
Damn, that's brutal. Don't blame you for being pissed. And here I thought when the game saved the checkpoint while falling into the open bridge was bad. I was like "REALLY???"

Finished it, 7/10 . Best thing was clearly the hook. I can't be the only one that was swinging around like spiderman between trees.

The environments all looked the same to me and it was basically, go here and kill everything in the room/vicinity. Story was very weak too. Gunplay itself felt very good however and the AI buddies weren't complete retards.

Raphael

Finished it, 7/10 . Best thing was clearly the hook. I can't be the only one that was swinging around like spiderman between trees.

The environments all looked the same to me and it was basically, go here and kill everything in the room/vicinity. Story was very weak too. Gunplay itself felt very good however and the AI buddies weren't complete retards.
Fully agreed. Beginning felt amazing but once things started being samey you had this feeling that rumor they cut 2/3 of the game might be true and instead they just copy pasted what they had working.

Story was quite bad.

I was so close.....
Usually checkpoints will revert to 2 checkpoints ago if you're in an infinite loop of death, takes about 5 times in quick succession. Pardon the pun.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Fully agreed. Beginning felt amazing but once things started being samey you had this feeling that rumor they cut 2/3 of the game might be true and instead they just copy pasted what they had working.

Story was quite bad.

Yeah it really hampers the experience. First 3 hours were 10/10 for me. Then it does kind of fall apart. The open world is a joy to traverse with hookshot but there isn't much variations in objectives and the final indoor chapter was repetitive with sentinels being very boring enemies as well.

The side objectives and indoor sections are blatant copy paste. There is always that three way room where you have to go down, and then that room with a bridge in the middle. The game ends rather abruptly, I could feel the whole thing is rushed or unfinished.

What keeps the game from falling apart is the phenomenal gameplay and enemy AI.

Helghan

Just got to Bassus on legendary. Pretty much a ohk every time lol
Bassus was hell on legendary... There was a moment I really thought I wasn't going to be able to win this. He was way too quick. Eventually sat in a spot where he couldn't touch me. Ridiculous way to win, but I didn't know how else.

Emedan

I've finished it - some bosses felt a bit bullshitty but I don't know I've seen people wrecking them on Legendary so me having problems on Heroic might be on me. With that said I think the Hunters were especially poorly designed - they got no real weakness so there's no strategy to beat them - they're too responsive to get around really - only thing I've noticed kinda working is 2 skewer shots to the head but other than that Jesus.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I've finished it - some bosses felt a bit bullshitty but I don't know I've seen people wrecking them on Legendary so me having problems on Heroic might be on me. With that said I think the Hunters were especially poorly designed - they got no real weakness so there's no strategy to beat them - they're too responsive to get around really - only thing I've noticed kinda working is 2 skewer shots to the head but other than that Jesus.

You're meant to use the dash with the hunters. Run towards them favoring the side with the shield. Dash forward past them triggering them to do the downward shield slam. Turn around and shoot them in the back. The more you've leveled up dash the easier it is to do.

DrCheese

Same, really wish they'd let you go back to the open world bit instead of locking you in there after a certain point.

Biggest gripe of the campaign. I'm back out in the open world again and it feels so good.

Yes, it seems to lock you in really "early" as well, eg there's a good 3/4 hours of content after being locked in. It wouldn't have been that difficult to let you jump out either, as there's an island bit midway through.

Concern

Bassus was hell on legendary... There was a moment I really thought I wasn't going to be able to win this. He was way too quick. Eventually sat in a spot where he couldn't touch me. Ridiculous way to win, but I didn't know how else.

The doorway? I saw some people mention that here lol

Robb

Gold Member
Finished the campaign today, it was a lot of fun, but there’s definitely a lot of room for improvement imo.

8/10 from me. The main highlight was definitely the grappling hook, love it. Looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Does anyone know if potential campaign DLC is likely to be included in GamePass? Would be nice, but I can’t remember hearing anything about it.

Kev Kev

i have played and beat every mainline halo game on legendary solo, but i have zero desire to play this game even on heroic, because i know those boss fights are going to piss me off (not to mention snipers taking pot shots at you from across the map and banshees spawning every 2.5 minutes).

yeah, no thanks on that. i enjoy wrecking shit on my normal run too much to be bothered by some OP frustrating boss fight

Top Bottom