• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite PC Overview Premiere

reksveks

Not a Halo specific comment but as a nvidia 3000 series owner, I am a bit annoyed that XGS isn't leverage more of those feature sets (especially when you compare it to the Sony pc ports). I will really be annoyed once the first UE games comes out cause there really is no excuse then.

elliot5

Not a Halo specific comment but as a nvidia 3000 series owner, I am a bit annoyed that XGS isn't leverage more of those feature sets (especially when you compare it to the Sony pc ports). I will really be annoyed once the first UE games comes out cause there really is no excuse then.
Frankly there's no excuse now and while I like AMD, I don't love their graphics dept. And moneyhatting features not being included is really bad.

Umbasaborne

Banned
it doesn't imply, it explicitly states.

There are higher priorities than getting raytracing in for PC and maybe XSX when trying to ship a game.
Pretty embarassing when they’ve had an entire extra year. Man wtf were they gonna launch last year if half the game is coming post launch

edit: not warring, just very frustrated. Ive been looking forward to this for a long time

Last edited:
Global illumination is a much more demanding form of RT

That's the kind that would most benefit Halo Infinite's graphical style. I don't know if it's more or less demanding, I forget the specifics on comparative demand to something like ray traced reflections, but I do feel it's the one that will most make Halo Infinite look more incredible with the visual style it's aiming for.

I definitely want Ray Tracing in Halo Infinite, just not at the potential early launch compromise of the core game without ray tracing. If they had enough time to do both things that would be great, but it's clear 343 is telling us that there were other things that were a higher priority for them. Many, I think, tend to forget that there has never been any Halo game even remotely close to what this game is trying to accomplish, not even the most impressive parts of Halo 3 compare to what they're aiming to do with the size, openness and level of freedom being offered in this game. Save for the more expectedly linear interior sections of the game, the outdoors sections of Halo Infinite's campaign could possibly be as or more open than both major scarab encounters in Halo 3, with many more tactical possibilities.

Banned
Raytracing is in no way important to the game experience nor to the everyday player, so keeping it a post-launch update was the right move.

the fucked up thing with everything Halo infinite is that this time last year, raytracing was supposed to launch "early next year" so early 2021... and now a year later the game launches without coop, without forge, without raytracing...

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds good!

Regarding all the “missing” stuff I get the impression that they had a roadmap ready for all the content and delaying the game didn’t change that, it just pushed everything forward by the same amount of time.

Pretty embarassing when they’ve had an entire extra year. Man wtf were they gonna launch last year if half the game is coming post launch

I wouldn't say so. It tells you that they feel that the best possible campaign experience that is the most well polished they can achieve is a lot more important than a specific graphical feature. What if they get ray tracing in at launch, it looks fantastic, but then key parts of the campaign are in bad shape or very badly executed? Imagine campaign events not triggering? Missions or objectives not allowing you to progress, not allowing you to start them, think of all the problems that were known to have plagued Cyberpunk 2077. Getting Ray Tracing in the game isn't more important than polishing and fine tuning the core game experience. They can tackle ray tracing after the fact.

The most reassuring possible message from 343i was that they and AMD are working to bring ray tracing to the game post launch. Who knows, maybe just maybe if Cyberpunk 2077's technical and engineering resources were never dedicated or as heavily tied up with making sure the game launched with that extensive list of ray tracing features from the start, which admittedly resulted in hands down one of the most beautiful videogames ever created, but instead was focused on shipping a more polished and bug free experience, maybe Cyberpunk 2077 never ends being quite as big a hit to CD Projekt Red's reputation as it ended up being. All hands on deck on the core game experience and squashing out bugs. Cyberpunk should be a cautionary tale for all. Far Cry 6, for example, is a huge beneficiary of the dev not trying to put ray tracing on the consoles. It's very nicely polished.

I say this as someone who still finds it one of the most awesome games I've played in years, but man the problems killed its momentum and its many issues really got in the way of something truly special in my opinion. And as a huge Keanu Reeves fan I really wanted that game to have a much better reception because his performance was truly fantastic.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They should give the PC version a SSGI option like Days Gone has.
The second flight was almost certainly using some sort of SSGI, SSDO or had some cleverly baked bounce lighting in.
My guess the campaign being dynamic has a GI solution, MP being static they could bake those in.

The issue is MS doing their own (ports) means their relationship with AMD will pretty much always be a problem with new releases.
When/if they give port jobs to outside studio we may get lucky and that studio is quite happy to maximize Nvidia tech.
When UE5 games start coming out they are even less likely to fixate on including Nvidia tech in ports.
UE5 has its own brilliant TAAU solution and a hybrid raytracing solution thats seemingly quite happy to run on AMD hardware....so they will have no real need to look to Nvidia for single platform plugins
That's the kind that would most benefit Halo Infinite's graphical style. I don't know if it's more or less demanding, I forget the specifics on comparative demand to something like ray traced reflections, but I do feel it's the one that will most make Halo Infinite look more incredible with the visual style it's aiming for.

I definitely want Ray Tracing in Halo Infinite, just not at the potential early launch compromise of the core game without ray tracing. If they had enough time to do both things that would be great, but it's clear 343 is telling us that there were other things that were a higher priority for them. Many, I think, tend to forget that there has never been any Halo game even remotely close to what this game is trying to accomplish, not even the most impressive parts of Halo 3 compare to what they're aiming to do with the size, openness and level of freedom being offered in this game. Save for the more expectedly linear interior sections of the game, the outdoors sections of Halo Infinite's campaign could possibly be as or more open than both major scarab encounters in Halo 3, with many more tactical possibilities.
Global Illumination is by some margin the most expensive visual use of Raytracing......its also the most transformative which is a slap in the face when so many devs simply wont use it. Reflections are nice but honestly SSR + clever cubemaps do such a good job I have to work hard to notice RT reflections vs SSR during gameplay......but Global Illumination completely changes the scene there is no question when GI is on vs off.

AO is the cheapest, followed by shadows/reflections (which costs more will be based on geometry density)
Reflections can easily be tweaked and mixed to gain performance......low quality RTGI literally spoils the whole image.

Juza

"We really are building it from the ground up to be great game for PC players"

Few months later..

"We are aware of the issues that PC players are facing, and we're working hard to implement fixes as soon as possible, thanks for your patience"

Ozriel

M$FT
the fucked up thing with everything Halo infinite is that this time last year, raytracing was supposed to launch "early next year" so early 2021... and now a year later the game launches without coop, without forge, without raytracing...

it’s embarrassing that you’re telling the world that IRL, you have no idea how roadmaps work
Delays shift EVERYTHING to the right.

If an October 2020 (Gold) milestone gets delayed a year to November 2021, why do you expect the (previously) May 2021 post launch milestone to still remain in place?

Ozriel

M$FT
You aren’t getting paid for this. You do know that right? I’m not console warring in the slightest. Im addressing a concern with a singular game.

I also like pretty things and I have friends (sorry Im not like you) so I indeed WOULD play this co op.

Man really went from
“I’ve never owned an xbox before and no xbox game interests me until Starfield” to

“I was dying my to play this Coop with my friends at launch” :messenger_grinning:

Sooo you don’t have an RT compatible PC and don’t own an Xbox yet Ray Tracing at launch is a major concern for you, for a series you don’t play?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Are guys slow or something?

Lets do a small thought experiment and see just how dwanzi you really are.

You have 4 steps to complete in sequence 1 week for each step.

A -> B -> C -> D

1st question.
If everything goes as planned how long will it take to complete all steps?

2nd question
If step B takes a week longer than scheduled all else remains the same, how long will it take to complete all steps?

Sony

Nintendo

Few months later..

"We are aware of the issues that PC players are facing, and we're working hard to implement fixes as soon as possible, thanks for your patience"

You can be a great PC tailored game and still have issues that need to be worked out.
The effort they are putting into making sure Halo: Infinite can use PC's USP's is at the very least commendable (see ResilientBanana ResilientBanana summary below), especially given this is the first Halo that will launch day and date on PC and Console.

Really don't get the negativity around here.

DRM Free
Anti-Cheat
Lowest Latency Control
Custom Controls
Ultra-Wide Support
Heavy PC customization
PC Level Option Customization on Console
Ranked Console Hopper
Ranked PC Hopper
Ranked Cross-Play Hopper
Halo Infinite RX6900XT
Xbox One, Xbox Series, Windows and Steam cross-play
Cloud Saves Across all platforms

First PC launch title. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Few months later..

Welcome to PC gaming.

Juza

You can be a great PC tailored game and still have issues that need to be worked out.
The effort they are putting into making sure Halo: Infinite can use PC's USP's is at the very least commendable (see ResilientBanana ResilientBanana summary below), especially given this is the first Halo that will launch day and date on PC and Console.

Really don't get the negativity around here.

First PC launch title. Let that sink in.
Note that they only talked about the non-essential features (options, slides, ultrawide, customization.. etc) nothing about how much the game's performance has improved since the beta, which had many performance issues.

It is good to have many features, but these features don't matter if the game runs like shit.

reksveks

Note that they only talked about the non-essential features (options, slides, ultrawide, customization.. etc) nothing about how much the game's performance has improved since the beta, which had many performance issues.

It is good to have many features, but these features don't matter if the game runs like shit.
That's all of games marketing, you get bullet points on performance/bug features and full videos on features. Also non-essential features is a very subjective statement.

Also the latest beta had much better performance than the first one, was it perfect? No but it was a meaningful improvement.

Sony

Nintendo

If the game's performance was perfect but with little to no 'PC options', PC gamers would rage.
They're working on bugfixed ánd on features. The performance improvement from Flight 1 to Flight 2 decent enough for me to trust that they're working on the performance.

YukiOnna

Because we saw the performance improvements live and they assured it beforehand. I have no interest in seeing them talk about it when Weekend 1 to Weekend 2 to Weekend 3 was night and day.

Ozriel

M$FT

343 obviously doesn’t see the need to state the obvious. the sensible assumption for anyone in a beta is that performance issues would be ironed out before launch.

they will release spec recommendations in due time. And of course, you can always test it yourself at launch since it’s F2P

imagine describing input pools and ultrawide support as non-important

CuNi

You aren’t getting paid for this. You do know that right? I’m not console warring in the slightest. Im addressing a concern with a singular game.

I also like pretty things and I have friends (sorry Im not like you) so I indeed WOULD play this co op.

The question wasn't if u play this in co-op, the question was if your first play through was to be in co op.

More likely, the people who play games in co-op on their first play through don't care much about story anyway and just like the gameplay and prefer to play with friends for the fun. That is obviously a valid play style but don't come into a halo thread pretending that those things are a issue when they just affect a minority anyway. Most people that jump into the campaign day 1 are halo fans that want to soak in the story and continue the journey they began many years ago. It's not aimed towards people that just want a play once co op game right now, as is apparent by the complete lack of co op on launch.

THE DUCK

Yes, because console gaming is any different in 2021.

I have yet to have a single crash on my ps5 or series X, so......no? It always has been and will continue to be easier to program and eliminate bugs from one set of hardware vs 1,000,000,000,000 different pc combinations.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I have yet to have a single crash on my ps5 or series X, so......no? It always has been and will continue to be easier to program and eliminate bugs from one set of hardware vs 1,000,000,000,000 different pc combinations.

Well your PC combination must be a shitty one if you get constant crashes. So that's on you. The only game this year that caused me problems was Deathloop but not only that it was since patched, the same problem was present in the console version.

Funny enough I get constant problems with Series X dashboard. It switches resolution to 640 x 480 when I'm going between playing BC and new titles. It drives me nuts.

Reality is that games are shipping in unfinished state on all platforms and often multiple patches are needed to bring them to acceptable state.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The question wasn't if u play this in co-op, the question was if your first play through was to be in co op.

More likely, the people who play games in co-op on their first play through don't care much about story anyway and just like the gameplay and prefer to play with friends for the fun. That is obviously a valid play style but don't come into a halo thread pretending that those things are a issue when they just affect a minority anyway. Most people that jump into the campaign day 1 are halo fans that want to soak in the story and continue the journey they began many years ago. It's not aimed towards people that just want a play once co op game right now, as is apparent by the complete lack of co op on launch.

That might be your experience, but not mine (and many others). To share the first anticipated experience co-op with a friend is to me often even greater than not, it's like watching an awesome movie together (imagine if you couldn't..).

Papacheeks

Banned

It shows you that state the project was in frankly. And it holds true that internally 343 didn't have a playable build. The outsourced studio/group did which was what we saw at E3 2020. If campaign does make its date, dont expect anything spectacular, and also probably expect there to be lots of issues. If they were super confident in what they have we would have seen it.

Also them working right up to December tells me they needed more than a year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

A -> B -> C -> D

1st question.

2nd question
If step B takes a week longer than scheduled all else remains the same, how long will it take to complete all steps?
high school GIF by CBC

X
Man really went from
“I’ve never owned an xbox before and no xbox game interests me until Starfield” to

“I was dying my to play this Coop with my friends at launch” :messenger_grinning:

Sooo you don’t have an RT compatible PC and don’t own an Xbox yet Ray Tracing at launch is a major concern for you, for a series you don’t play?
So I need to own an Xbox to have played and enjoy Halo, one of the biggest game series ever known to gamers in the world? Do you realize how ignorant this sounds?

I’ve never owned an Xbox but I never needed to because I have friends. Halo 2/3 was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in co op. I don’t know why this is so hard for you to believe. Especially a game as open ended as it’s tryjng to be, co op not being in is not good

Ozriel

M$FT
X

So I need to own an Xbox to have played and enjoy Halo, one of the biggest game series ever known to gamers in the world? Do you realize how ignorant this sounds?

I’ve never owned an Xbox but I never needed to because I have friends. Halo 2/3 was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in co op. I don’t know why this is so hard for you to believe. Especially a game as open ended as it’s tryjng to be, co op not being in is not good

Bless your friends!
Allowed you to show up to their house to play Halo 2 on the original Xbox, then brought you over to play Halo 3 with them on the 360, and were ready to drive/fly you over to huddle on the same couch and play Halo Infinite Coop in December.

such a heartwarming tale, made especially poignant by your long years of console warring xbox consoles, and your previous claims of having no interest in any xbox exclusives until Starfield.

I Confess I must have misjudged you. I did not account for The power of friendship.

Last edited:

keram

A -> B -> C -> D

1st question.

2nd question

"E" ... like that was Easy :messenger_beaming:

Bless your friends!
Allowed you to show up to their house to play Halo 2 on the original Xbox, then brought you over to play Halo 3 with them on the 360, and were ready to drive/fly you over to huddle on the same couch and play Halo Infinite Coop in December.

such a heartwarming tale, made especially poignant by your long years of console warring xbox consoles, and your previous claims of having no interest in any xbox exclusives until Starfield.

I Confess I must have misjudged you. I did not account for The power of friendship.
Yes I had friends that played one of the most popular games ever and shared that experience with me. That’s how life works when you make connections. I know that’s hard for you to process.

Interesting how you’re so clearly obsessed with me but you’re failing to mention the positive things I’ve said about Microsoft in my post history too. Good Agenda setting. You’d fit right in at that other place

THE DUCK

Well your PC combination must be a shitty one if you get constant crashes. So that's on you. The only game this year that caused me problems was Deathloop but not only that it was since patched, the same problem was present in the console version.

Funny enough I get constant problems with Series X dashboard. It switches resolution to 640 x 480 when I'm going between playing BC and new titles. It drives me nuts.

Reality is that games are shipping in unfinished state on all platforms and often multiple patches are needed to bring them to acceptable state.

Sounds like you have a hard time accepting reality. Please point out in my post where I stated I get constant crashes. The fact is, pc games and configurations have more issues than consoles. (And why wouldn't they considering all of the hardware it has to run on?) It's not horrible, it's just annoying.
And yes some consoles games still have bugs, it's just not as often. This isn't even really debatable. ......

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sounds like you have a hard time accepting reality. Please point out in my post where I stated I get constant crashes. The fact is, pc games and configurations have more issues than consoles. (And why wouldn't they considering all of the hardware it has to run on?) It's not horrible, it's just annoying.
And yes some consoles games still have bugs, it's just not as often. This isn't even really debatable. ......

I love my gaming reality, man. No crashes. No complains. Smooth frames. Highest settings. So many pixels. :messenger_halo:

We were talking about software (patches). You started talking about hardware. Another users already pointed it out - you completely missed the point.

Enjoy whatever hardware you use to game on. I wish you the most pleasant experience. No need to shit on platform that you have no idea about.

Banned

A -> B -> C -> D

1st question.

2nd question

what you say has no relation to the situation Halo Infinite is in.

Halo Infinite's situation is that it was supposed to launch a year ago, was then delayed to polish the game properly, and yet a year later it is still far from finished.

the shocking part is that without the massive amount of backlash, the game would have released a year ago.

so the fact that a full year after they almost launched the game, it still launches completely unfinished, even tho they only delayed it to "polish it"

THE DUCK

I love my gaming reality, man. No crashes. No complains. Smooth frames. Highest settings. So many pixels. :messenger_halo:

We were talking about software (patches). You started talking about hardware. Another users already pointed it out - you completely missed the point.

Enjoy whatever hardware you use to game on. I wish you the most pleasant experience. No need to shit on platform that you have no idea about.

Just because you get a hot burger from your local mcpuke doesn't mean every McDonald's serves then that way.
Also I call total bs that you've never had a pc game crash or a system problem.

You talk like a pc elitist, bragging about how great your pixels are, so this rose colored defensive view isn't surprising I suppose.

When it comes to pc, you can't just say "we were talking about software" not hardware, that's just silly, they work hand in hand at every single level, maybe you don't understand how it works.

Lastly, your being super defensive about pc. I'm not "shitting on" pc, just giving a realistic view on it considering I own mutiple consoles and computers on my house. I'm also the one that people I know call when thier pc crashes or won't load a game. Yet somehow they never call with a problem about thier xbox or playstation or Nintendo. But maybe I imagine that, lol.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

what you say has no relation to the situation Halo Infinite is in.

Halo Infinite's situation is that it was supposed to launch a year ago, was then delayed to polish the game properly, and yet a year later it is still far from finished.

the shocking part is that without the massive amount of backlash, the game would have released a year ago.

so the fact that a full year after they almost launched the game, it still launches completely unfinished, even tho they only delayed it to "polish it"
But that has nothing to do with Raytracing? There is no point in moving it into launch schedule even if they had a year when they were dealing with improving/ironing out other issues. It was the right call to suddenly not make raytracing a new launch priority.

Top Bottom