• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Fuchsdh

If only...

I daydreamed about a scenario where during E3 343i came out to introduce Halo 5 and just got boo'd relentlessly before anyone could even speak...course this didn't happen, which was disappointing.

Well, that would be a pretty tactless move and wouldn't actually fix any of the problems, so why exactly would you be invested in such an idea?

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
Well, that would be a pretty tactless move and wouldn't actually fix any of the problems, so why exactly would you be invested in such an idea?

And irrational desire to see 343 "get theirs", I'd wager.

Not gonna say people take the MCC launch issues too seriously (they're justified) ...but some definitely take it way too far.

Because no amount of bitching and complaining over the past year has seemingly convinced them to get their shit together and deliver on the promise they made of "just like you remember" on ANY of the Halo titles in the MCC.

And irrational desire to see 343 "get theirs", I'd wager.

Not gonna say people take the MCC launch issues too seriously (they're justified) ...but some definitely take it way too far.

Me thinking of a fictional scenario that I decided to throw up on a game forum where 343i gets boo'd viciously is taking it too far?

A lot of people remain upset, like me, because the game is still broken in sections...almost a full year later.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but they've spent the past year basically jingling a pair of shiny keys in one hand saying "look, over here! Halo 5!" while they blindly try to hodgepodge patch after patch after patch after patch for the MCC with the other hand.

EDIT: I know its other companies working on the patches...I'm not sure if that's good or bad considering how they all collectively managed to fuck up something like Halo.

Fuchsdh

Because no amount of bitching and complaining over the past year has seemingly convinced them to get their shit together and deliver on the promise they made of "just like you remember" on ANY of the Halo titles in the MCC.

And, as I've said, neither will that. So why are you bashing your head against a wall to show how bloody you can get?

Montresor

Here's my own fan-fiction:

*343 releases final patch for MCC (rumoured to launch next week right?)
*Patch fixes all MCC problems (including my achievements problem)
*Halo 5 is released and gets 95 metacritic
*343 back in everyone's good books
*Halo 5 patch in 2016 adds splitscreen co-op and multiplayer

willow ve

Here's my own fan-fiction:

*343 releases final patch for MCC (rumoured to launch next week right?)
*Patch fixes all MCC problems (including my achievements problem)
*Halo 5 is released and gets 95 metacritic
*343 back in everyone's good books
*Halo 5 patch in 2016 adds splitscreen co-op and multiplayer

Bolded for truth.

Halo 5 will get a 90%+ - Even Halo 4 was a 98 or something outrageous at launch (it has since been made into a much better game).

raindoc

pretty much all I care about now MP-wise is LAN support. tripping over cables when having to pee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...>>>>>>>>>>>> having 8+ dudes sitting the same room, not being able to play because some online service is down.

Chitown B

pretty much all I care about now MP-wise is LAN support. tripping over cables when having to pee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...>>>>>>>>>>>> having 8+ dudes sitting the same room, not being able to play because some online service is down.

It's not happening. Get over it.

Coming from a guy who goes to Halo LANs yearly.

Akai__

Haven't seen that one either, very cool.

What's even more cool is that 343i used the Blind Wolves in the cover of "Hunters in the Dark":

Halo-Reveals-Hunters-in-the-Dark-Cover-Origins-of-Benjamin-Giraud-477122-2.jpg

Have to give 343i props for connecting the dots across the lore, even for stuff that was unused.

They get major props from me for using the Blind Wolves and Halo 3 Elite co op characters.

Haven't read the book, but it's Usze, right? Just saw it in the Halo 5 Gold thread.

I've had multiple games end early in the last few days because the host quit.

Dedicated servers.

Hopefully the patch allows host migration at the very least. Be nice to have parity with 2004 era Halo.

Roni

Gold Member
Guys, I need some info on the Halo franchise. I saw some promotional material for Halo 5 and my interest was piqued. However, it seems that the impact of the story is going to be lost on someone who hasn't played the entire franchise.

I have always had an interest in getting into Halo, but for this or that reason never stuck with it. Played the first few missions of Halo CE, actually finished Halo 3: ODST because I picked it up and it seemed like a game that wouldn't rely so much on other stories, if it did, the references went over my head. I actually liked the feeling of that game a lot. But other than that, never really played the mainline games.

I tried getting into the franchise again, but was put off by how the graphics in the first game aged. I heard a remake was released, but I don't think that ever made it to the PC - my main platform. I'm considering getting an Xbox One now and heard so much about the Master Chief Collection.

My questions are:

1. Is the first game in the collection the original or the remake?
2. Do the campaigns have any sort of game breaking bugs in the collection?
3. How does the feel of the games stack up against what I saw in ODST?
4. Am I losing my time being interested in the story Halo has to tell?

Thanks for helping a brother out!

Ocho

First game is the anniversary version. It's the same game but with new graphics. You can even toggle between new/old graphics with a button press. Halo 2 is also included as an anniversary version.

No game breaking bugs I encountered (finished all 4 main games).

Gameplay isn't that different from ODST. All games feel like Halo and play like Halo.

Halo's story is one of the best sci-fi told in videogames. If you want to go deeper there's tons of lore in media.

Roni

Gold Member
First game is the anniversary version. It's the same game but with new graphics. You can even toggle between new/old graphics with a button press. Halo 2 is also included as an anniversary version.

No game breaking bugs I encountered (finished all 4 main games).

Gameplay isn't that different from ODST. All games feel like Halo and play like Halo.

Halo's story is one of the best sci-fi told in videogames. If you want to go deeper there's tons of lore in media.

Thanks a ton!

Ocho

Thanks a ton!

The new terminals in Halo 1 and 2 do a better job in explaining the story. Also I'd recommend maybe catching up on who's the covenant and what do they want (principally what is the importance of Halo and their great journey).

But yeah it's worth it, have fun!

For those of you that don't know, I'm a huge fan of OU football. Soonersports.com did an exclusive piece on Baker Mayfield and his love of Halo 3. Mayfield was a freshman walk-on quarterback at Texas Tech who earned the starting job, but lost it due to injury. So he transferred to OU, lost a year of ineligibility in the process, and earned the starting starting job there after walking on to his second straight team. But the best part, apparently he can blain with the best in Halo 3 lol.
http://soonersports.com/fls/31000/microsites/15fb_bakergamer/index.html
f8rcRSA.jpg

Where is Tashi? He needs to get in touch with this guy and do a follow-up interview or something.
9pJ0z8L.jpg

Akai__

Patch notes are out:

Upcoming Halo: The Master Chief Collection Content Update Notes

Implemented new systems and temporary bans for matchmaking penalties. These include penalties for:
Quits
Betrayals
Idling

Note: Leaving the game before finishing (any time from the start of voting until the game concludes) will result in a loss for your ranking and a penalty to your Xbox One reputation. After this update, if you quit, betray, or idle too many times during a set period of time, you will be temporarily banned from playing matchmaking. If you continue to engage in negative behavior after the temporary ban has lifted, you will continue to receive temporary bans that are subsequently longer in length.

Players will now receive a quit penalty and rank penalty for quitting any time after matchmaking voting begins in all matchmaking playlists, both ranked and unranked
Added matchmaking betrayal booting for Halo: Combat Evolved
Matchmaking voting now randomizes winner in the case of a tie, rather than selecting the left-most option
Made a variety of improvements to ranking calculation
Fixed an issue which could result in ranking down after winning a match
Emblems and clan tags, in addition to gamertags, are now hidden while searching for a match
Updated Team colors to always appear correctly in Forge mode
The level of menu music will now drop when other players join a lobby / are connected to other players
Fixed an issue where menu music could cut out after a game or on startup
The controller schematic for H1 "Boxer" now correctly matches the in-game control layout
Improved Classic/Remastered UI launch settings for Halo: CE and Halo 2 Campaign
Improved matchmaking messaging to players
Fixed an issue where lobby player positions could shuffle after a promotion to party leader
Fixed an issue where players could select and use nameplates that they had not unlocked
Fixed an issue where profiles could match into a game after the match started
Made a variety of fixes for players who could become stuck at the “Downloading Latest Data” screen
Fixed the glitched Who Needs Them? achievement
Improved a variety of compatibility issues
Made a variety of stability improvements

So fucking disappointing for a patch that was "4 months" in productions.

Montresor

The split screen achievement issue is not in the patch notes. Fuck me.

But, good on them for fixing the Who Needs Them achievement.

Fuchsdh

The split screen achievement issue is not in the patch notes. Fuck me.

But, good on them for fixing the Who Needs Them achievement.

Yep. Guess I better saddle up and get ready to do that one again...

Probably just going to cheese it with a second controller.

Booshka

At least there will be less dodging in H1 2v2s now. Dirt and his Practice Noob would just shut down the playlist when they would grind all night. Ogre 2 has been playing MCC H1 recently, been watching some streams.

Sooooo if you quit a game because your 3 other teammates quit before you, leaving you in a 1v4 match...the penalty is all the same?

Good fucking work....

There quite a few achievement problems not on that list. I heard completing the Ark on Legendary without vehicle achievement is no longer attainable, but no fix. Though I also haven't tested that yet.

Montresor

If they aren't fixing the audio logs for the next patch:

Is there anything we can do to avoid having our audio log achievements stuck on "Unlocked..." ?

malfcn

Wish they had just focused on campaigns only. But I understand their ambitions in trying to realize all online game versions.

Montresor

I've been going through Halo 1 on MCC again with my brother. We just beat 343 Guilty Spark, The Library, and Two Betrayals. That sequence of levels is so awesome. You're on this space installation killing aliens, and at first you think you're just fighting small skirmishes against Covenant aliens, and then the stakes become incredibly high very quickly.

My brother and I were blown away by the cutscene at the beginning of Two Betrayals. Cortana revealing what 343 Guilty Spark was trying to do, the Halo's true purpose revealed, 343 Guilty Spark's complete obliviousness - he's like an autistic sociopath and it never occurs to him why a sentient being like the Chief would NOT want to be exterminated.

Love it. I've played Halo 1 on 360 and that's the only Halo I ever played so this is all mostly a retread. But I can't wait until I get to Halo 2 - then finally I will start some new Halo material.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Beat Halo 2 Anniversary such an amazing game. You can really see and appreciate the differences between the OG version and the anniversary addition from cutscenes, audio and visuals. It's almost impossible to go back and play the original release.

Started the Halo 3 campaign and even seeing some of the opening cutscenes with Miranda Keyes and Admiral Hood makes me wish we got Halo 2: Anniversary cutscenes with Halo 3. The cutscenes in Halo 2:A are stunning.

Either way, Halo 2: Anniversary made me appreciate the overall Halo 2 campaign more despite all the initial backlash regarding the Arbiter and the ending. I'll wait till I beat Halo 3 again (and beat Halo 4) before I rank the campaigns but Halo 1 and Halo 2:A and neck and neck for me IMO.

Top Bottom