• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

I've been going through Halo 1 on MCC again with my brother. We just beat 343 Guilty Spark, The Library, and Two Betrayals. That sequence of levels is so awesome. You're on this space installation killing aliens, and at first you think you're just fighting small skirmishes against Covenant aliens, and then the stakes become incredibly high very quickly.

My brother and I were blown away by the cutscene at the beginning of Two Betrayals. Cortana revealing what 343 Guilty Spark was trying to do, the Halo's true purpose revealed, 343 Guilty Spark's complete obliviousness - he's like an autistic sociopath and it never occurs to him why a sentient being like the Chief would NOT want to be exterminated.

Love it. I've played Halo 1 on 360 and that's the only Halo I ever played so this is all mostly a retread. But I can't wait until I get to Halo 2 - then finally I will start some new Halo material.
Yeah, no other halo campaign has replicated the kind of mystery and intrigue like that which was in combat evolved. That game had me gripped from start to finish.

EDIT: This thread is boring.

Notes for Patch #12. Will be out later this week.

-- Players will now receive a quit penalty and rank penalty for quitting any time after matchmaking voting begins in all matchmaking playlists, both ranked and unranked

--Added matchmaking betrayal booting for Halo: Combat Evolved

--Matchmaking voting now randomizes winner in the case of a tie, rather than selecting the left-most option

-- Made a variety of improvements to ranking calculation

-- Fixed an issue which could result in ranking down after winning a match

-- Emblems and clan tags, in addition to gamertags, are now hidden while searching for a match

-- Updated Team colors to always appear correctly in Forge mode

-- The level of menu music will now drop when other players join a lobby / are connected to other players

-- Fixed an issue where menu music could cut out after a game or on startup

-- The controller schematic for H1 "Boxer" now correctly matches the in-game control layout

-- Improved Classic/Remastered UI launch settings for Halo: CE and Halo 2 Campaign

-- Improved matchmaking messaging to players

-- Fixed an issue where lobby player positions could shuffle after a promotion to party leader

-- Fixed an issue where players could select and use nameplates that they had not unlocked

-- Fixed an issue where profiles could match into a game after the match started

-- Made a variety of fixes for players who could become stuck at the “Downloading Latest Data” screen

-- Fixed the glitched Who Needs Them? achievement

-- Improved a variety of compatibility issues

-- Made a variety of stability improvements

I am definitely getting dedicater servers more. So it is a start lol

Share your secret dude. The amount of host quits prematurely ending games I've had lately is a continual reminder that the selling point of legacy Halo games on dedicated servers was an outright lie to push units. Many of the problems with the MCC are excusable or at least explainable in some small way. The dedicated server promise bait and switch is not one of them. I'd be surprised if they weren't in contravention of a consumer's rights protection law somewhere. Bear in mind host quit games are the ones the player knows about; the vast majority are probably being played P2P without a recourse to unequivocally confirm it.

Fuchsdh

Anyone here wanna' set a time to run through H4 legendary? Need to get the sub-3 hrs achievement (need to do it for H1 and H2 as well, but that's another ball o' hurt.)

Magni

Any chance of API support for the MCC? I'm not buying H5 at launch (learned my lesson...), but the new API news is making me want it I must admit.

I design and build APIs at work, really looking forward to hacking with the H5 API once the docs are public.

Fuchsdh

Any chance of API support for the MCC? I'm not buying H5 at launch (learned my lesson...), but the new API news is making me want it I must admit.

I design and build APIs at work, really looking forward to hacking with the H5 API once the docs are public.

Doubt it, unless they publish the stuff they're currently using.

Leyasu

Banned
Share your secret dude. The amount of host quits prematurely ending games I've had lately is a continual reminder that the selling point of legacy Halo games on dedicated servers was an outright lie to push units. Many of the problems with the MCC are excusable or at least explainable in some small way. The dedicated server promise bait and switch is not one of them. I'd be surprised if they weren't in contravention of a consumer's rights protection law somewhere. Bear in mind host quit games are the ones the player knows about; the vast majority are probably being played P2P without a recourse to unequivocally confirm it.

Dude surely you must remember my constant bitching about dedicated servers and lack of local matchmaking??

Anyway, here's my experience from the last week or so. I would say that out of the last 20 BTB games that I have played probably no more than 3 of them were p2p. Complete with rubberbanding and all the other lag shit that goes with it.

The rest though. Undoubtably dedicated servers. But what is more, the majority of them have been on EU servers. The funny part, and I shouldn't laugh really. Is the fact that it has been dumping north american players into the games who have been struggling to get kills and bitching about it as well.

You know as well as I do that a quick grenade toss can tell you loads in this game... Plus 4 br bursts to kill or be killed helps to.

Josh Holmes posted on slaent that they consider everything above 100ms to be unacceptable for halo 5. I am wondering if they have implemented that same system into the MCC lately?

Karl2177

Dude surely you must remember my constant bitching about dedicated servers and lack of local matchmaking??

Anyway, here's my experience from the last week or so. I would say that out of the last 20 BTB games that I have played probably no more than 3 of them were p2p. Complete with rubberbanding and all the other lag shit that goes with it.

The rest though. Undoubtably dedicated servers. But what is more, the majority of them have been on EU servers. The funny part, and I shouldn't laugh really. Is the fact that it has been dumping north american players into the games who have been struggling to get kills and bitching about it as well.

You know as well as I do that a quick grenade toss can tell you loads in this game... Plus 4 br bursts to kill or be killed helps to.

Josh Holmes posted on slaent that they consider everything above 100ms to be unacceptable for halo 5. I am wondering if they have implemented that same system into the MCC lately?
Or maybe you were host.

Leyasu

Banned
Or maybe you were host.

Lol nah mate. Not with my French countryside connection which tops out at 8.5 down 1 up. I ping the western Europe datacenter in titanfall in the 40s. Getting host will never happen... Unless I host a custom game.

Montresor

Come on release the patch... Please!!! I'm hoping against hope that somehow splitscreen achievements are fixed despite not being officially referenced in the upcoming patch notes.

Just started Halo 2 for the first time ever. The cutscenes are incredible!

Leyasu

Banned
Come on release the patch... Please!!! I'm hoping against hope that somehow splitscreen achievements are fixed despite not being officially referenced in the upcoming patch notes.

Just started Halo 2 for the first time ever. The cutscenes are incredible!

The patch is live now..

Montresor

I saw the new Halo 5 trailer, and "Stand down spartan 117" gave me chills.

I've only just started Halo 2. Will the following be referenced/explained in any of the rest of the games (2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4)?

*What are Spartans?
*Why is Chief called Spartan 117?
*Who is The Librarian?
*Who is The Reclaimer?
*Who is The Didact?
*Who is The Composer?
*What are Forerunners?

I'm okay with looking up the lore on Wikipedia but I'd like to absorb as much of this as possible through only cutscenes and terminals and game play.

Montresor

If you played through H1 you should know who the reclaimer is already. Gotta pay attention brah.

I did pay close attention to Halo 1 (though I haven't seen all the terminals).

343 Guilty Spark calls Master Chief the Reclaimer in two occasions, IIRC. But I was assuming 343 Guilty Spark is just wrong/incorrect.

Guilty Spark spoke to Chief as if they knew each other the last time Halo's power was activated. Guilty Spark said something like "The last time we spoke, you said if it came down to it, would you or wouldn't you activate Halo? Well the answer is we have no choice".

So I just assumed the Reclaimer had to be someone the players haven't met yet through Halo 1, and that Guilty Spark is incorrectly attaching the Reclaimer label to Chief.

Hopefully I didn't screw up my interpretation too badly.

I saw the new Halo 5 trailer, and "Stand down spartan 117" gave me chills.

I've only just started Halo 2. Will the following be referenced/explained in any of the rest of the games (2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4)?

*What are Spartans?
*Why is Chief called Spartan 117?
*Who is The Librarian?
*Who is The Reclaimer?
*Who is The Didact?
*Who is The Composer?
*What are Forerunners?

I'm okay with looking up the lore on Wikipedia but I'd like to absorb as much of this as possible through only cutscenes and terminals and game play.

For the most part, but a couple of these aren't going to be "explained" in-game the way you might expect. Like, there's no big "reveal" of what Spartans are. They're a group of augmented super soldiers, that's basically it. There's some extra details you'll learn (like why the Spartan program was created), but that's the basic gist of it. And Chief's called "117" because for the Spartan-II program there were 300 candidates and Chief was numbered 117. That's it haha.

Montresor

For the most part, but a couple of these aren't going to be "explained" in-game the way you might expect. Like, there's no big "reveal" of what Spartans are. They're a group of augmented super soldiers, that's basically it. There's some extra details you'll learn (like why the Spartan program was created), but that's the basic gist of it. And Chief's called "117" because for the Spartan-II program there were 300 candidates and Chief was numbered 117. That's it haha.

Haha I don't know what I expected re: 117.

Erimriv

Completed all the campaings (including ODST) and didn't get any of the achievements for doing so. Didn't download the latest patch yet.

Erimriv

Check your achievement app to see if they're "Done! Unlocking..."

They show up completed at 80%, 84%, 87% etc... Played them all on normal, now replaying H4 on heroic.

And never played any of the games on legendary and the achievements for completing the campaings on that difficulty are all at 33%??? WTF...

They show up completed at 80%, 84%, 87% etc... Played them all on normal, now replaying H4 on heroic.

And never played any of the games on legendary and the achievements for completing the campaings on that difficulty are all at 33%??? WTF...

The Legendary (and I think Heroic) achievements track... Weirdly haha. For some reason completing on Normal is equal to 33% of a Legendary completion, and I think Heroic counts as 66%. It changes nothing though, you still have to actually complete the entire campaign on Legendary to actually get it. As for your other percentages, huh, that's weird. Seems like you're missing completion for 1-2 missions in each campaign. Have you tried looking at the level select for every campaign and seeing if any of the levels are erroneously marked as incomplete?

So... There's still no way to tell if you've gotten the patch yet, is there? Because I was never prompted for one and I kind of doubt it installed in standby before I jumped on today.

So... There's still no way to tell if you've gotten the patch yet, is there? Because I was never prompted for one and I kind of doubt it installed in standby before I jumped on today.
If when you check the game out in my games and apps it has a green dot on it that means it updated while on standby. Otherwise, it would update when you start it up.

Nudull

Banned
So, I may be in the market for an Xbox One bundle (the holiday one, fingers crossed), and I'm currently debating between picking up TMCC or skipping ahead to Guardians. It's been so long since since I've last gotten into the series, I never got to beat ODST, and I have not played Reach or 4.

Karl2177

"Players will now receive a quit penalty and rank penalty for quitting any time after matchmaking voting begins in all matchmaking playlists, both ranked and unranked"

Hopefully I'm not penalized for quitting a match when I'm the only person left on my team, but I have my doubts.

Toa TAK

Banned
Eh, it's still a step up from the inscrutable glitches achievements of 360 yore.

I dunno, I mean, I actually GOT those. :(

Now that the achievement is fixed, I'm going to go ahead and tackle it when I get home tomorrow. That should be fun, I'm itching for more Halo 3.

Patch is live. 711MB.

Emblems still don't work in Halo 2. Of course.

As I said before, it's not a glitch. It's not some errant lines of code, the functionality was straight up never built to begin with. They would have to either update the Halo 2 code to support all the new emblems (unlikely at this point) or build in an additional menu screen for setting Halo 2 emblems (also unlikely), so odds are this won't ever change.

If when you check the game out in my games and apps it has a green dot on it that means it updated while on standby. Otherwise, it would update when you start it up.

I know, but I had booted up the game before checking. Ended up getting the update a couple hours ago though, I guess I didn't have it at the time.

Still don't get why they haven't just put up a version number string somewhere in-game.

Top Bottom