• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Series | Discussion

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watching the first episode and I wonder why is there a human working with the covenant?

I don't get why the president lady wanted to Kill John, there were some weird logical leaps, but overall I enjoyed the show.

Last edited:

Fbh

Watching the first episode and I wonder why is there a human working with the covenant?

I don't get why the president lady wanted to Kill John, there were some weird logical leaps, but overall I enjoyed the show.

They haven't explained why there's a human with the covenant. Though while I'm sure they have an in world reason to justify it, I'd imagine it's really a mix of them thinking audiences will relate more to a human character than an alien one as well as it being cheaper to focus on her instead of a CG alien or an actor in heavy makeup.

As I understood it the president lady wanted to kill Masterchief because he wasn't only failing to follow orders, but actually working against them. She assumed he had been compromised by the artifact he touched and would rather have him killed than see him fall into enemy hands. It's still a bit weird that even after they had disabled the ship the order was to kill and not restrain though.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, maybe the covenant don’t know that yet?
Well, I doubt the Covenant are so dumb as to think that the SOLE human orphan or whatever they have captive just so happens to be the one human that can access forerunner tech. My guess is she just happened to be part of a colony that was wiped out and kept as sort of a pet for just this purpose.

I'm thinking she is going to be a covenant version of MC in that forerunner tech forces her to decide between her nature versus nurture. MC seems to be breaking his nurture (brainwashing? Implanted controls?) so we'll what she does.

CGiRanger

Banned
Were they really not allowed to throw props in the desert? 😅

fOSN3ZE1g1Mo.jpg
This is just laughable.

Was it so hard to find a plastic model that could be thrown on the ground?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I thought it was actually pretty decent.

Keep in mind, I barely remember the story from the few Halo games I played. I don't care at all about that lore.

And the only scripted television I've watched in the past month is four episodes of Star Trek Picard season 2.

The bar this had to clear with me was very low.
These new Trek shows are so bad. They make Halo seem a masterpiece.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
He is an experimental super soldier who started disobeying orders while also having control of a powerful artifact. Nothing confusing about it.
Well, to be fair, she could have just made reasonable orders and discussed options with him like a human being. I hate how these shows box people into ridiculous demands just to force drama.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well, to be fair, she could have just made reasonable orders and discussed options with him like a human being. I hate how these shows box people into ridiculous demands just to force drama.
I think you are still missing the point that to her, Chief is a broken tool. A weapon, not a human.

Watched it just now and really enjoyed it! Oddly enough I never liked the games lol.

I just hope the CGI gets better. It was really sloppy at times.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just another nail in the coffin for Halo. Fucking hell they have been ruining this once glorious franchise. Between the last three shite games and now a shite tv show, they may as well just go all the way and make a fucking children’s puppet show with grunts.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just pretend that Master Chief is RoboCop in this version and it will all make sense.

3liteDragon

Just finished the pilot, would give it an 8/10, it was actually pretty good imo. I just looked at it as any other show, it doesn't even take place in the game universe & they're doing their own thing with it. The intro completely caught me off guard (in a good way), the show's WAY MORE violent than the games, which I liked.

As for criticisms, some of the CG in the beginning was noticeably bad especially one scene where a weapon gets thrown on the ground & you can clearly tell the weapon was CG cause the lighting around it was fucked up, and some of the Covenants scenes had bad CG as well. Some corny dialogue scenes & I don't like the actress who plays the UNSC military general, her acting's just bad.

But the ending of the episode is giving me Mandalorian vibes, looking forward to the next episode. I think I'd be okay with this if the rest of the episodes are at least on par with this.

This is what I was talking about lol.
Were they really not allowed to throw props in the desert? 😅

fOSN3ZE1g1Mo.jpg

Last edited:
It was better than expected. It's not particularly good or on part with the incredible ads made for Halo 3 but well see with the rest of the season.
Also yeah those shots on first person are bad, Doom level bad (like those ManaByte ManaByte ):

unknown.png
unknown.png

How DARE you!

giphy.gif

I fuckin' LOVED the FPS section of the Doom movie. It was a terrible movie, but that FPS section at the end was so cool to see at the time in the theater.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is just laughable.

Was it so hard to find a plastic model that could be thrown on the ground?
Either you are so in love of your CG props that feel like using them in all cases (but then well lack of good judgement and taste?) or they could not give enough of a f’ to think a proper movie prop was worth the time to make… was production that rushed and/or cash strapped :(?

miles118

I do not have any problem with the CGI(except for the gun props). It's a series after all so they have to preserve the budget. The HUD is also great. Also the powers of the elites, the sound of the shield when it is deactivated, the supersoldier power everything is good to me. Some fails like the time when MS took the minigun and was able to magically kill the aliens. Otherwise the only problem I have is the story. I want to see if it will improve.
It was better than expected. It's not particularly good or on part with the incredible ads made for Halo 3 but well see with the rest of the season.
Also yeah those shots on first person are bad, Doom level bad (like those ManaByte ManaByte ):

unknown.png
unknown.png
Too bad you don't like this because I really like those. I like that they took the effort to do this and it looks amazing to me.

Sigh. What the hell did they do Master Chief?

I wouldn't bother with him taking off his helmet (i guess) if it made absolute sense, and not forced into the VERY FIRST EPISODE.

Like, what the fuck? Bro, spend a few episodes with MC with his helmet on, leave that reveal at the end of the season ala' M**d*l****n (asterisks to avoid spoilers for anyone) at the very least.

I mean, the actor wants some screen time, okay fucking sure you little princess*. Have it. But to do such a thing, and then leave it off for almost the entirety of the end of the episode? Horrible direction.

If anything, showing his face THIS early probably did not - and will not - help boost his popularity as an actor because his acting chops, so far, has been average.

To me, the actor made chief SO GODDAMN GENERIC with his line delivery, and acting.

Take the liberties you want with the story (because of course they will), but for the love of God, at least deliver on Master Chief 🤦‍♂️

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why would Spartans keep their helmets on outside of combat? How would they eat, drink, scratch an itch, or clean up?

The armor is just for fighting, which the games have them do 100% of the time, but in a show I'd expect Spartans to take it off regularly.

jason10mm

Gold Member

the hubris of these people
No kidding. Did that guy miss the ENTIRE PLOT revolving around the covenant and humans fighting over the artifact?

And if the Covenant is an existential threat to humanity then I'd kinda expect all of humanity to pave over their disagreements PDQ, especially spartans when they get turned on aliens instead of fellow humans. Please, please, PLEASE don't make this yet another zombie show of "humans were always the real threat"!

I feel like this show is gonna draw heavily from the Starship Troopers movies storyline with a strong fascist government vibe.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Why would Spartans keep their helmets on outside of combat? How would they eat, drink, scratch an itch, or clean up?

The armor is just for fighting, which the games have them do 100% of the time, but in a show I'd expect Spartans to take it off regularly.
Yeah, they’re not Mandalorians where they have some stupid code revolving around their helmets. Master Chief takes his helmet off in a secret ending in the games too (albeit you don’t see much), there’s nothing in-universe that says they don’t take off their helmets.

ElRenoRaven

Exactly. For a game it's kept on to keep us in that space of we are Master Chief. This isn't a game so obviously if Halo were real you wouldn't have them wearing their helmet 24/7. Honestly the way it was done in the show made sense. He was trying to get her to trust him so that he could save them and had to do it quickly too. Taking your helmet off and giving her a chance to shoot you in the head does that. Not saying it wasn't insane. It was. however it worked. Also for those blaming the actor they hired him because they already had this planned. They wanted a known actor because they already had every intention of taking that helmet off. So don't blame him.

Also I like Pablo's work. Love it in The Mandalorian and so far in this 1st episode of Halo he's done a good job. Remember he's playing a genetically enhanced supersoldier who has had his mind fucked with and been molded into something almost robotic attitude wise. Hence my RoboCop comparrison for this show. He's starting his process of breaking out of his programming if you will and finding his humanity again.

CGI wise I think it was fine for what it was. People seem so hung up looking for something that doesn't look perfect. I've seen this with everything with CGI. For me as long as it isn't insanely bad I honestly don't notice. I'm talking the design of the rifle being completely wrong, wrong color, etc. To me it looked like a AR so it was fine.

miles118

Exactly. For a game it's kept on to keep us in that space of we are Master Chief. This isn't a game so obviously if Halo were real you wouldn't have them wearing their helmet 24/7. Honestly the way it was done in the show made sense. He was trying to get her to trust him so that he could save them and had to do it quickly too. Taking your helmet off and giving her a chance to shoot you in the head does that. Not saying it wasn't insane. It was. however it worked. Also for those blaming the actor they hired him because they already had this planned. They wanted a known actor because they already had every intention of taking that helmet off. So don't blame him.

Also I like Pablo's work. Love it in The Mandalorian and so far in this 1st episode of Halo he's done a good job. Remember he's playing a genetically enhanced supersoldier who has had his mind fucked with and been molded into something almost robotic attitude wise. Hence my RoboCop comparrison for this show. He's starting his process of breaking out of his programming if you will and finding his humanity again.

CGI wise I think it was fine for what it was. People seem so hung up looking for something that doesn't look perfect. I've seen this with everything with CGI. For me as long as it isn't insanely bad I honestly don't notice. I'm talking the design of the rifle being completely wrong, wrong color, etc. To me it looked like a AR so it was fine.
B*llshit. He killed her mother. She would hate him as much as the UNSC and as we saw she had a lot of hatred and not much reasoning so I would not put it past her to just shoot. Also he could have just taken the gun from her since he is armored or just ignored her also because of the armor. He could have also reasoned with her by saying that he could have killed her or imprisoned her while she was unconcious. Removing the armor was dumb. But the writers are not so smart so it doesn't surprise me.

miles118

B*llshit. He killed her mother. She would hate him as much as the UNSC and as we saw she had a lot of hatred and not much reasoning so I would not put it past her to just shoot. Also he could have just taken the gun from her since he is armored or just ignored her also because of the armor. He could have also reasoned with her by saying that he could have killed her or imprisoned her while she was unconcious. Removing the armor was dumb. But the writers are not so smart so it doesn't surprise me. Also the SPARTAN are equivalent to SEAL so their identity should be kept secret.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I couldn’t get past how out of place the aliens looked in the environment. Too fake. I respect the hard work put in, but it doesn’t sell me on the world, it takes me out of it.

I was shocked when the first human blew up. Can’t deny I enjoyed that on some level, because it was so unexpected.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I couldn’t get past how out of place the aliens looked in the environment. Too fake. I respect the hard work put in, but it doesn’t sell me on the world, it takes me out of it.

I was shocked when the first human blew up. Can’t deny I enjoyed that on some level, because it was so unexpected.
What pisses me off is that that level of graphical gore is ok but god forbid they put a little blood in the newer games

And at the same time it really does sell just disturbingly powerful plasma can be be

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Watching the first episode now and wow is it bad.
The Spartan Armors look fake and goofy. Some human costumes just look hilarious and bad.
Then the diversity checkmark everywhere...
Uuff

Top Bottom