• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a games story ever made you cry before?

I find it harder than most people to be emotionally moved by a story. There's countless times where there was this tragic death scene and people on the internet say they couldn't stop bawling their eyes out but for me I either feel nothing or mildly depressed about said moment. Even as a kid. But off the top of the head I do remember shedding a tear in Tales of Berseria when
Phi gave Velvet a pep talk when she lost the will to fight after she finds out the original Laphicet(her 11 year old sickly brother who was stabbed through the chest in a sacrifice ritual by the main villain) is working with the main villain and the other exorcists this whole time to imprison therions(Velvet is one of them) and conduct inhumane experiments on daemons/therions.

But other than that and perhaps 1 or 2 other instances I cant remember off the top of my head, devils never cry.....

Last edited:

Madflavor

Yes.
069c0a959c9df79b7ddd1a23ce5ac84e.gif

Pelao

I have never literally cried over a game's story.
However, there were moments in some games where I did get emotional. Off the top of my head, I remember specific points in the final acts of Final Fantasy Type-0, Final Fantasy XV and Red Dead Redemption 2.
Although, there is one non-plot related moment in a game where yes, I did tear up a bit, and that was during the takeoff in the first mission of Ace Combat 7. The feeling of being back home mixed with the music was just too much for me.

I have never literally cried over a game's story.
However, there were moments in some games where I did get emotional. Off the top of my head, I remember specific points in the final acts of Final Fantasy Type-0, Final Fantasy XV and Red Dead Redemption 2.
Although, there is one non-plot related moment in a game where yes, I did tear up a bit, and that was during the takeoff in the first mission of Ace Combat 7. The feeling of being back home mixed with the music was just too much for me.
FFXV had me close to shedding a tear around the ending. Noctis tale was tragic.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like we had similar threads before...anyway, this time I will answer with different game.

I didn't "cry" but I find Mercedes story in Odin Sphere hit me hard, especially what happens near the end.
37ce1d9756724acb995e95b53c6f3507.jpg

Last edited:

IAmRei

Xenoblade's 3 one of particular cutscene. When a doctor taking care female patient to born a child. And the expression of main characters, who never knew how human birthed and they never knew what human baby is. It's yet scary and heartwarming at once and makes me kinda weep. The weird emotion is hard pill. the game itself is very ground breaking in scifi fantasy stories if i might said so. And the reveal of the scene is kind of final punch for me. How human life is beautiful yet also scary.

Xenoblade's 2 one scene with dying driver (summoner) and his blade (summon). The summon, trying to make happy ending to her summoner, old male, which his age is nearly over. So the story is kind of sad, although not enough to drop tears, made me kind of weep a little.

Other than that, i think never had such feeling in video game in my experiences in video game since 1992. Xenoblades truly one of the best game for me.

YukiOnna

Yeah, plenty of times as I get pretty invested if I'm hooked. Not outright bawling, but I tend to reach the point of tearing up or sniffle or it hitting hard. Too many to name at once, but the FF's like XVI or VII, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Xenoblade 2 all had their moments.

blue velvet

I find it harder than most people to be emotionally moved by a story. There's countless times where there was this tragic death scene and people on the internet say they couldn't stop bawling their eyes out but for me I either feel nothing or mildly depressed about said moment. Even as a kid. But off the top of the head I do remember shedding a tear in Tales of Berseria when
Phi gave Velvet a pep talk when she lost the will to fight after she finds out the original Laphicet(her 11 year old sickly brother who was stabbed through the chest in a sacrifice ritual by the main villain) is working with the main villain and the other exorcists this whole time to imprison therions(Velvet is one of them) and conduct inhumane experiments on daemons/therions.

But other than that and perhaps 1 or 2 other instances I cant remember off the top of my head, devils never cry.....
Crisis core when I was a kid but that's very rare because videogame writing are horrendous even the high budget ones.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Many times. To the Moon made me cry the absolute hardest over any other. Steins;Gate also made me sob a bit during the Mayuri ending. FFXVI, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XIV... Final Fantasy makes me cry often.

Robb

Gold Member
No, but I don’t really play games for the story either. If a game is very heavy on story I tend to just skip the cutscenes if possible.

MujkicHaris

Dragon Quest VIII is the only game that made me shed a tear.
PS2 version, final cutscene with King Trode, Princess Medea and the Hero as they leave the ceremony with a carriage. There are many games with amazing stories but Dragon Quest VIII's is the one I am attached to the most, to this day.
The quality of the world and its presentation in DQ VIII is something that can't be found anywhere else. Not even in DQ XI.

Last edited:

Doom85

Definitely teared up at:

Bioshock Infinite - the ending
Death Stranding - multiple parts during the last 45 minutes of the game
The Last of Us Part 1 - multiple parts
Nier/Nier Automata - multiple parts
Night in the Woods - multiple parts
Persona 4 - the ending
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Barry revealing why Moira grew distant from him
The Walking Dead Season 1 - the ending

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I got teary eyed at the end of FFXIV Endwalker and a couple times earlier throughout the story. Particularly that scene where you defeat the Imperials, they’re all demoralized and starving, and one of the Alliance dudes offers their commander a hot cup of tea….that was beautiful and sad. Sometimes the most simplistic of narratives is the most effective.

Business

The Last of Us's intro hits hard.
Don’t get me wrong I think Part 1 has one of the best stories in this medium (not a particularly high bar either), but the intro never did much for me. Maybe because if you had seen any game material at all pre-release or even just the game cover what was gonna happen was beyond obvious.

Fredrik

When the story is well-made and music and art merge perfectly, absolutely.

Brothers a Tale of Two Sons was brutal, I lost my parents early and only have my older brother left, the dev really pulled the right strings at that water crossing for me.

Didn’t outright cry at the mountain in Red Dead Redemption 2 but I felt so much and the game was my GOTY in many ways because of that, and I’m not even a person who like story-focused games.

Ori and the Blind Forest had it’s moments as well with the art, theme and music. Super emotional game.
Will of the Wisps had my daughter crying so bad, we had to replay the ending and talk about it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
No, and none have even come close. Some movies and TV shows have made my eyes moist but no game has achieved this yet.
Exactly this.

There have been a couple times when games have made me want to play in a way that reflects the cutscene I've just seen. No exploring and picking up loot, just a man on a mission moving with purpose. It's exclusively "Now he's pissed" moments that do that. But even that's immersion/RP, not emotion.

Maybe the lack of emotion I feel for game stories is related to why I never really have much to say when people talk about good or bad stories. To me, the story is there to justify the gameplay. If I enjoy the story, great. If not, it's a reason for me to be where I am doing what I'm doing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think I cried at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4, but I was also 15 at the time.

xrnzaaas

Several times in my whole gaming history. I never got emotional in older games when you were clearly playing a bunch of pixels and I couldn't identify with them. It's much "easier" now when characters look so real and I recently dropped a few tears during Like a Dragon Gaiden's ending.

Last edited:
Top Bottom