• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a games story ever made you cry before?

RaduN

Only once. That ending broke me.
G0ul4JD.jpg
The only answer ^

Of course, MGS2, 4, 5, Death Stranding (my God, that final reunion is a masterclass in genuine drama) are also damn poignant.

For all his redundant dialogue and cheesyness overload, Kojima knows how to handle a dramatic scene when he wants to. Effortlessly.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Last of us intro....

Red dead 2...me horsie....(had her the whole game)

Erm...think that's more or less it. I am a panzie when it comes to good writing and direction for scenes.

If they nail it, I is tear man.

CashPrizes

Definitely openly wept during the endings of Walking Dead and Ori 2. Like not ugly crying or anything but tears slowly rolling down cheeks. Those might be the only 2 to break me.

Got choked up a few times during Last of Us 1 (end of prologue, end of Pittsburgh). Also as a teenager got choked up during a couple of JRPGs. Phantasy Star IV, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The Fuck site am I on? Reset? I’m a ALPHA He/Him I don’t cry over video games FFS!!

/s

PS this thread contains so many spoilers!! I hate you all!!

Last edited:
No. Video game writing just isn't there, by and large. Something like that famous scene in Interstellar is light years ahead of anything in games.

There is a note a father leaves to his son in a Witcher 3 side quest that is very affecting. And the quiet scene when Geralt finally finds Ciri can only have been choreographed by a father, imo. But I'd feel weird crying to it.

But then I can count the number of times I've cried in living memory on my fingers.

Roberts

I can get misty eyed watching a movie or two but I don’t recall getting overly emotional whille playing game. Recently, the end of Hades, most of Psychonauts 2, Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush touched me.

Kumomeme

i rarely cry when playing game. but there is moment that i basically crying 'inside'.

this is one of scene that i always fond of (beware Persona 3 spoiler)

tumblr_inline_p7j1h8ahlV1qhmcv4_500.gifv

tumblr_inline_p7j1h8RGTT1qhmcv4_500.gifv

tumblr_inline_p7j1h8aNGJ1qhmcv4_500.gifv

Laptop1991

I wouldn't say openly cry but if i'm immersed i can get emotional on occasions, ive got a daughter so saving the little sisters in Bioshock and Emily from Dishonored 1 was a given and i did think of mine while playing the games.

gtabro

The joys of being a teenager who knew nothing about Final Fantasy 7 and one day you start playing Crisis Core on your PSP expecting a light game... And the ending shatters you. The only game to this day that I replayed the ending of for 4 consecutive nights.

Also I believe the ending of Red Dead Redemption apart from shocking me it also made a single manly tear roll down when I first played it. I'm still pissed that nothing from RDR2 clicked with me, kinda surpised that I had an unintentional stone face during Arthur Morgan's last scene where I knew it was supposed to be emotional and all, but I suspect the other problems with the game diluted my enjoyment of the story.

thief183

Nope, never, I felt sorry for vasemir in witcher 3, that's it. Actually I can't understand it, videogames writing is so subpar that is impossible to connect with it for me.

That is starting yo be a problem cause not only the emotional part is lacking but also the awe part, I mean I can't remember the last time I thought "damn this is awesome", it is always mid.

Xyort

Neo Member
- The Walking Dead S1's ending
- That scene in Yakuza 3 (you know the one)

Didn't cry but got pretty close :

Shifty1897

Nope, never, I felt sorry for vasemir in witcher 3, that's it. Actually I can't understand it, videogames writing is so subpar that is impossible to connect with it for me.

That is starting yo be a problem cause not only the emotional part is lacking but also the awe part, I mean I can't remember the last time I thought "damn this is awesome", it is always mid.
So I totally respect your opinion, but I need to know, have you played some of the games that keep getting brought up? Nier Automata? Metal Gear Solid 3? To The Moon? I agree that a lot of games are poorly written, but I think there's a handful out there that are written just as well as the best TV shows or movies.

RaduN

So I totally respect your opinion, but I need to know, have you played some of the games that keep getting brought up? Nier Automata? Metal Gear Solid 3? To The Moon? I agree that a lot of games are poorly written, but I think there's a handful out there that are written just as well as the best TV shows or movies.
Some people love to always bring up those worse/less stellar lines of dialogue or moments in certain games, just to make a point...ignoring the vast majority of the rest of the game, which is what make those damn stories so great and memorable.
I'd argue that this medium, because of its inherent characteriatics, has the potential of being much more emotionaly involving than any other storytelling medium, if done right.

Recent example: Death Stranding.
No other medium could've been as succesfull in making me care as much about BB, as to go as far as learn how to aptly traverse any kind of terrain in order not to fall and make the little one cry. That's the true power of the medium in terms of storytelling.

ThaGuy

I wouldn't say cried but I was close to shedding a tear when playing lost odyssey and reading some of the stories. I recommend y'all to read some of the stories you collect in that game, they really are great and emotional.

Fbh

The only one I can remember is the ending of Valiant Hearts.
The mix of writing, the delivery from the actor, the music and the fact that scenarios like the one depicted actually did happen during the war that really got to me.

And it's a fucking Ubisoft game of all things lol.

Guardians of the Galaxy got me. Hard not to sympathize with the very human experiences Peter Quill and Nikki Gold go through in that game.

GotG was great. I really enjoyed the characters an writing way more than any MCU movie, hell they even manage to make you emotionally invested in the backstory of Drax, while his MCU version never managed to be more than a comic relief.

Top Bottom